Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why my laptop runs so hot.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
The CPU was overclocked by MSI and I just noticed it.  You know I trust MSI to properly setup things.  So today I'm finally fed up with how hot the CPU is running on older games so I'm looking at everything and viola.   

Resource Monitor showing that my maximum frequency is 128%.   It is overclocked somewhere and this is how I fixed it.

I went to power options, advanced options,  cpu max   90%.   It set the max frequency to 90% instead of that crazy overclock that I do not need with my i7.  If you set it any higher then 90 then it upscales to 100 and overclocks the frequency.  

Hope this helps anyone with a laptop that has overheating issues with the cpu.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Cool story bro ..

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Are you certain that what you're seeing was an overclock and not just normal turbo boost?  What CPU is it, and what clock speeds were you seeing?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I once burnt out a desktop replacement laptop from heavily playing games.  Luckily it was still under warranty.  Now I always keep my laptops on cooling pads,just in case.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    Wasn't it you who had an Intel integrated Graphic Card on his laptop?
    Because if I remember correctly I said that a bad Graphic Card would overload your CPU with additional Graphic processing, and it looks like exactly the problem you are having.

An overclocked CPU should not be a problem if the Graphic Card does its job.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Quizzical said:
    Are you certain that what you're seeing was an overclock and not just normal turbo boost?  What CPU is it, and what clock speeds were you seeing?
    It might have been turbo boost doing it but either way its being boosted when the cpu is under 40% load.  And it was causing a lot of heat for some reason.

ste2000 said:
    Wasn't it you who had an Intel integrated Graphic Card on his laptop?
    Because if I remember correctly I said that a bad Graphic Card would overload your CPU with additional Graphic processing, and it looks like exactly the problem you are having.

An overclocked CPU should not be a problem if the Graphic Card does its job.

I've had several laptops and this one has a GPU.  But I've played some of my older games on integrated laptops and they haven't run as hot as this one with a GPU.  But now its much cooler without that unnecessary boost it was getting for whatever reason.
  • SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    filmoret said:
    You know I trust MSI to properly setup things. 
    I had to lol. MSI....lol....there is a reason everything they make used to cost about 1/4 of a legit brand.

~I am Many~

filmoret said:
    Quizzical said:
    It might have been turbo boost doing it but either way its being boosted when the cpu is under 40% load.  And it was causing a lot of heat for some reason.
    That's how turbo is supposed to work.  If you have something that can't scale to use all of the cores but can max out a single core, you clock that one core higher while shutting down others.

It's possible that the laptop is improperly cooled.  It's also very possible that the laptop is fine when clean but has accumulated some dust.  And it's also possible that it's a simple PEBCAK problem like putting the laptop somewhere that blocks the air vents.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Thupli said:
    good info, thx.
    Wtf ? The OP has no idea what he is talking about, let alone  ... overclocking. 

The overheat he is talking about has nothing to do with the so called "MSI Overclocking" .

I would of give him some advises , but I am kinda lol'ing in real life about his .. "findings" , so I will just let him FGi ( fucking google it ) to fix his heating problems ! 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Dust-off Disposable Compressed Gas Duster
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Easy solution, don't game on a laptop.  I stopped trying that a long time ago.  Of course there are gaming laptops out there, but the good ones are laptops in name only.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    filmoret said:
    The CPU was overclocked by MSI 
    This. Is. Gold.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
    edited January 2017
    IceAge said:
    Thupli said:
    good info, thx.
    Wtf ? The OP has no idea what he is talking about, let alone  ... overclocking. 

The overheat he is talking about has nothing to do with the so called "MSI Overclocking" .

I would of give him some advises , but I am kinda lol'ing in real life about his .. "findings" , so I will just let him FGi ( fucking google it ) to fix his heating problems ! 
    filmoret said:
    The CPU was overclocked by MSI 
    This. Is. Gold.
    So basically what you are saying is.   The CPU in resource monitor running at 128% is not being overclocked?  Nor the fact that I've had about 10 laptops and none of them have had this issue.  Using onboard graphics with an i5 cpu running games was about 20 degrees cooler then this one cpu doing the same ammount of work.  [mod edit]

http://www.computing.net/answers/cpus/maximum-cpu-usage-over-100/17505.html

http://superuser.com/questions/256921/what-does-the-maximum-frequency-number-mean-in-the-windows-resource-monitor

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36627563/cpu-usage-low-and-maximum-frequency-over-100

https://www.tautvidas.com/blog/2011/04/disabling-intel-turbo-boost/

So maybe educate yourself a little here.  
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Windows thinks my CPU is an 800Mhz for some reason, so it usually says something stupid like 500%.

Yes, everyone is telling you, it's just Windows, and while your laptop may or may not be actually overclocked, the Windows resource monitor isn't a good indication of it.

The way you would know, is to look up your CPU model on the manufacturers web site, see what the clocks are supposed to be (base and turbo), then compare that to what your machine is actually running at. More often than not, you'll find that it sits underclocked.
    Ridelynn said:
    Windows thinks my CPU is an 800Mhz for some reason, so it usually says something stupid like 500%.

Yes, everyone is telling you, it's just Windows, and while your laptop may or may not be actually overclocked, the Windows resource monitor isn't a good indication of it.

The way you would know, is to look up your CPU model on the manufacturers web site, see what the clocks are supposed to be (base and turbo), then compare that to what your machine is actually running at. More often than not, you'll find that it sits underclocked.
    No matter how you want to explain or think it.  My laptop is running cooler now that its not being boosted.
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:

No matter how you want to explain or think it.  My laptop is running cooler now that its not being boosted.
    Ok just for you I will do this.   My processor is 2.7z  and turbo's up to 3.7

When I got power at 99-100% the processor does indeed turbo up to 3.4z

When I set power at 90% the processor won't go higher then 2.6z

So its doing exactly what I said and there really was no need to act like it wasn't.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    You're missing the points that have been made without so many words. Be it made in a joking manner. You figured out that heat correlates with power usage.  Being in a tight enclosed space increases this. Your solution is to gimp your cpu (cap its potential output)  rather than _____________________ it. 

I admit that I am having a chuckle which I probably shouldn't be for various reasons. Thanks for that. We've all been there on various things.  I once ordered a bacon cheeseburger without bacon.  Waitress asked me like several times. "So you want a bacon cheeseburger without bacon."  Me: "Yep"
    Hulluck said:
    You're missing the points that have been made without so many words. Be it made in a joking manner. You figured out that heat correlates with power usage.  Being in a tight enclosed space increases this. Your solution is to gimp your cpu (cap its potential output)  rather than _____________________ it. 

I admit that I am having a chuckle which I probably shouldn't be for various reasons. Thanks for that. We've all been there on various things.  I once ordered a bacon cheeseburger without bacon.  Waitress asked me like several times. "So you want a bacon cheeseburger without bacon."  Me: "Yep"
    So what goes in the blank?  I wouldn't mind listening if someone actually told me something.
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:

It might be possible to go into the BIOS and set the clock speed to a fixed 800 MHz or 1200 MHz or some such.  If you do that, it will run even cooler.
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:

It might be possible to go into the BIOS and set the clock speed to a fixed 800 MHz or 1200 MHz or some such.  If you do that, it will run even cooler.
    I got it at the right place where its not gimping anything.  You might not agree with it but I really dont care at this point what you think since your only added value to this thread was telling me to make sure the vents are clear.  I didn't start a thread asking about the basics of keeping a laptop cool.  I am trying to help other people such as myself who game on laptops and might be having cpu overheat problems.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:

LOLOL...

Quiz, pls stahp. What do you think the CPU is? Celeron? :lol:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Ridelynn said:

LOLOL...

Quiz, pls stahp. What do you think the CPU is? Celeron? :lol:

One thing you fail to see is that the i7 for laptops is designed to run at 180F.  So the temp is not going to stop it from using turbo boost.  It won't stop using turbo boost untill it reaches 200F.  WHY?  Because this processor is designed to run that hot so according to the software its running great.  It has no reason to slow down the clock whatsoever.   

I'll shed some light on the issue because people fail to see anything logical here.  This laptop can run GTAV, Metal Gear V and smoothly run about 140F.   But somehow when I play an older game like M&B warband, Archeage the processor is pushing 180F.   I got an i7 cpu and I don't really know of very many laptops capable of running the CPU at 100% while gaming.   I'm barely using 40% with Archeage and even less then that with M&B.  But its running a lot hotter with less demanding games which is kind of silly but its happening.

So because I'm using a laptop and not a desktop I have to do things that normal PC users don't do in order to keep the temperature down.  Disabling turbo boost has helped that immensely.  And because its a laptop you won't even need turboboost because the i7 is fully capable of running several laptops all by iteself.

So I can update drivers,  clean the fan with air,  get a cooling pad, put new thermal paste on the cpu.   Yet none of that will fix the fact that the cpu runs cool on GTAV but hot with M&B warband.   That isn't hard to figure out.
    Actually, it won't stop doing anything until it reaches TCase/TJunction/TCore (whichever Intel has specified as the temperature limit for that particular model) - Boost or otherwise.

If the laptop runs that hot consistently, yes, you can downclock the CPU to prevent that. But then why did you buy a chip that's advertised as 3.7 to only run it at 2.7? You could have saved a lot of money buying a slower CPU in the first place.

The fault is in the cooling system. This is what everyone is trying to say. Yes, you found a work-around by underclocking your CPU (and that ~has~ gimped your system to some degree, believe it or not), but most people wouldn't find voluntarily reducing the capacity of their laptop a n acceptable long term solution.
    edited January 2017
    Also, I am guessing this is your CPU:

https://ark.intel.com/products/70847/Intel-Core-i7-3740QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

That CPU has a bin price of $380. So it's definitely not cheap.

It has a TJunction limit of 105C (221F) where it can operate safely. It also has a TDP of 45W (which includes the integrated graphics portion of the die).
    edited January 2017
    Ridelynn said:
    Actually, it won't stop doing anything until it reaches TCase/TJunction/TCore (whichever Intel has specified as the temperature limit for that particular model) - Boost or otherwise.

If the laptop runs that hot consistently, yes, you can downclock the CPU to prevent that. But then why did you buy a chip that's advertised as 3.7 to only run it at 2.7? You could have saved a lot of money buying a slower CPU in the first place.

The fault is in the cooling system. This is what everyone is trying to say. Yes, you found a work-around by underclocking your CPU (and that ~has~ gimped your system to some degree, believe it or not), but most people wouldn't find voluntarily reducing the capacity of their laptop a n acceptable long term solution.
    It doesn't have a cooling problem.  Its operating within the limits so to say there is a cooling problem isn't accurate.  I want it to run cooler then it should and therefore have stopped it from boosting.  Whats the big deal?  I'm not gimping an i7 because its nearly impossible to use 100% of the processor in a laptop with gtx 960m graphics anyways.

No matter what you say.. My laptop is running much cooler now and you cannot prove me to be wrong about that.  Soon as I turn on turbo the temp jumps 20degrees.  I don't need that and if I do then I just turn it back on.