Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ooh AMD being sneaky with CPU's.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
Not sure if many people know this and IDK how many different models this happens with.  But AMD advertising their quad core processors really only have dual cores.  They are being hyperthreaded into 4 cores.  It would be like intel calling their i7's 8 core processors simply because they are being hyperthreaded.  Wasn't too happy to learn this about my cpu.
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    You are mistaken.  Current AMD CPUs do not support hyperthreading.  No past AMD CPUs have ever supported hyperthreading.  Zen will be the first AMD CPU ever to support hyperthreading.

AMD's Bulldozer and Piledriver cores (FX-series, plus some older A-series APUs that are now off the market) did have two CPU cores share a scheduler, but it had two separate physical integer cores sharing that scheduler.  AMD's recent higher end CPUs (FX-series plus all but the low end A-series APUs) have two cores share a floating point unit.  There are enough resources there for both cores to use the floating point unit simultaneously unless one of them needs an AVX instruction, in which case, the other can't use it at the same time.

Hyperthreading does basically the opposite of what AMD did:  it has two separate scheduling units for a single physical core.  Because there is only one core, both schedulers can't have something execute at the same time.  Because AMD has two physical cores in a module, both can execute completely independent things at the same time, just as you'd expect from two CPU cores.

The two cores in a module do share an L2 cache.  But a Core 2 Duo had both cores share the L2 cache, too; surely that didn't mean it was really a single core CPU.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited January 2017
    Thats strange.  So why is windows saying my AMD only have 2 cores?  And it never says that my i7 has 2 cores.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    You and Malabooga should really put this foolishness behind you already.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Well this is the reason AMD cpu's are much slower then intel's.  They are using half the cores and presenting them as though they aren't.  Even though what Quiz said was correct.  It does behave like a hyperthreaded core and performs like one as well.
    filmoret said:
    Well this is the reason AMD cpu's are much slower then intel's.  They are using half the cores and presenting them as though they aren't.  Even though what Quiz said was correct.  It does behave like a hyperthreaded core and performs like one as well.
    No, the reason AMD's CPUs are slower than Intel's is that the individual cores are slower.  If you run a single-threaded benchmark that can only use one core, an Intel Sky Lake desktop CPU will tend to be much faster than anything AMD has.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2017
    filmoret said:
    AMD loses to Intel above all in single-thread speed tests. When the test uses more than 4 threads, the difference in favor of Intel is much smaller:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-FX-9590/3647vs1812

EDIT: Quizzical posted a his answer a bit faster /EDIT

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    filmoret said:
    And it never says that my i7 has 2 cores.
    I think all desktop I7 processors have at least 8 threads. It would be strange for Windows to count that as 2 cores.

I can't comment on how Windows counts the number of cores on your AMD processor because I've got no idea which AMD processor you have.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Oooh dam, guy who cant troubleshoot his own PC want to discuss things lol

Tell you what, when you write an decent essay on AMD CPU architecture......you might actually sidcuss things lol
    Vrika said:
    filmoret said:
    And it never says that my i7 has 2 cores.
    I think all desktop I7 processors have at least 8 threads. It would be strange for Windows to count that as 2 cores.

I can't comment on how Windows counts the number of cores on your AMD processor because I've got no idea which AMD processor you have.
    If you disable hyperthreading it shows the number of cores.   The i7 will show 4 cores and the amd processors will only show 2 cores.  
    Well the problem is the way AMD is splitting the core.  They are really running on 1/2 a core which is why their cores are being displayed as weaker then the intel ones.  I'm willing to wager that with HT disabled you will see the AMD core running up to par with Intel.

@Malabooga don't look like you were able to help at all with that troubleshooting so you have no room to talk.
    edited January 2017
    Dakeru said:
    What does his nonsense has to do with me, he refuses to educate himself, and well thats his right. But at least his posts are great source of comedy lol

filmoret said:
    Well the problem is the way AMD is splitting the core.  They are really running on 1/2 a core which is why their cores are being displayed as weaker then the intel ones.  I'm willing to wager that with HT disabled you will see the AMD core running up to par with Intel.

@Malabooga don't look like you were able to help at all with that troubleshooting so you have no room to talk.
    no no, elaborate in great detail how "AMD is splitting the core" lol

*thats what im talking about

i told you the first step, you refuse to listen, so.....thats all the time i want to invest for somene who has no clue what hes doing but still insists on...well...not doing anything but complain lol

Malabooga said:
    Dakeru said:
    What does his nonsense has to do with me, he refuses to educate himself, and well thats his right. But at least his posts are great source of comedy lol

filmoret said:

no no, elaborate in great detail how "AMD is splitting the core" lol

*thats what im talking about

i told you the first step, you refuse to listen, so.....thats all the time i want to invest for somene who has no clue what hes doing but still insists on...well...not doing anything but complain lol

Because they are sharing resources just like you would if you were hyperthreading.  Sure its different in a sense because they are sharing different resources but its still sharing.  If they were fully utilizing everything instead of sharing it would be faster.  Not that hard to figure out really.   here some explanation from an expert

"  AMD uses cores with shared components so every 2 cores share many of the parts making them more like 1.5 cores. This does not mean heavily threaded programs do not get a boost just like they do from Intel HT"

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2757163/intel-perform-amd-cores-clock-speed-cache-mem.html

And since you decided to insult everyone who tried to help me with my computer problem.  Why don't you explain the solution that so easily evaded the 100 people trying to help?
    edited January 2017
    Funny, heers the WHOLE response

"AMD and Intel use radically different cores.

AMD uses cores with shared components so every 2 cores share many of the parts making them more like 1.5 cores. This does not mean heavily threaded programs do not get a boost just like they do from Intel HT.

Clock speed only means so much because every core type does so much work per clock cycle. Because at current Intel does more work per clock cycle. They can be faster with less clock speed.

It was the opposite when AMD released the Athlon64 that was faster at 2.0-2.2 ghz than Intel cpus running a 3.0ghz and higher.

Software can be designed to take more advantage of a core feature or instruction sets may also perform better on one core type than another.

This also happens with Video cards, Some favor Nvidia core designs while others favor AMDs. "

you couldnt even read through whole 10 lines lol and at that time, AMD 1.8 GHz Athlon perfomed same s 3+ GHz Intel, its was so bad that AMD had to invet "PR (pentium rating) because people like you didnt have a clue about that lol

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 3200+ - ADA3200DAA4BW (ADA3200BWBOX).html

Athlon64 3200+ (2000 MHz) -> performs like 3200+ MHz Intel chip, "3200+" is PR aka "pentium rating" lol

And its actually you who insulted everyone trying to help you by refusing to do anything that anyone suggested lol THATS why i dont want to help you, you have no clue what youre doing but still insist on just complaining lol

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited January 2017
    Many games perform better on 6+ Intel core CPUs (in some games even 4 cores) when you turn off HT because HT is getting in the way. Its quite interesting phenomenon.
    13lake said:
    Its not.  You are looking at a game there which is lucky to use 4 cores.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2332&cmp[]=2347

That more closely resembles a real score.
    edited January 2017
    And? it just means passmark if full of crap lol

so everyone who plays passmark should buy intel chips :)
    13lake said:
    And if you also look the fx-8370 actually has 4 cores.  Its not like some of their other chips which have 2 cores but they call it 4.  Like this for example.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2332&cmp[]=2347&cmp[]=2721

Like I said in the OP I wasn't sure what chips they are doing this tricky thing on but the x4 845 is advertised as a quad core and it clearly is not.
    edited January 2017
    Malabooga said:
    And? it just means passmark if full of crap lol

so everyone who plays passmark should buy intel chips :)
    8 core processors are made for running servers not games.  You cannot compare a 4 core processor which is made for gaming with an 8 core processor which is made for running a server.  But you already knew that because you are a so smart.
    edited January 2017
    Funny, i clearly see 8 cores....in an actual application rofl

as i said.....decent essay on AMD architecture...until then...usual comedy gold from "filmoret" character rofl

when all 8 cores are used

pretty darn good for 100$ CPU lol, beats Intels 6/8/10 core CPUs lol

AND x4 845 has 4x32KB L1 chache. Why does it have 4 L1 caches if it only has 2 cores huh genius lol
    Post edited by Malabooga on
    AMD up to FX series used hyperTransport which was their answer to hyperthreading. FX series chips that are billed for 8 cores in fact have 8 logical cores. The Anthlon is not an FX, it is not in the same league as an FX nore will it come close in performance to an FX.

You are mistaken.  HyperTransport has nothing to do with hyperthreading.  The former is to connect different chips entirely, while the latter is something that happens internally withing a single CPU core.  HyperTransport is more analogous to Intel's Quick Path Interconnnect or (now-deprecated) Front Side Bus, or perhaps to PCI Express.  It is a relatively high-throughput, low-latency connection, so it can be used in some situations where SATA or USB would be inappropriate.
    filmoret said:

AMD's single-threaded problems have more to do with having fewer ALUs per core, narrower instruction decode, and higher latency caches than Intel.  But it's complicated, as there are many contributing factors.
    13lake said:
    That's because the CPU isn't the bottleneck in those situations.  The two CPUs would probably perform the same in storage benchmarks, too.
    Malabooga said:
    Funny, i clearly see 8 cores....in an actual application rofl

as i said.....decent essay on AMD architecture...until then...usual comedy gold from "filmoret" character rofl

when all 8 cores are used

pretty darn good for 100$ CPU lol, beats Intels 6/8/10 core CPUs lol

AND x4 845 has 4x32KB L1 chache. Why does it have 4 L1 caches if it only has 2 cores huh genius lol
    Because they aren't sharing caches.  They are sharing something else.  And AGAIN I will tell you that 6/8/10 core cpu's aren't for gaming.  So using gaming results to compare them is just plain silly and absurd.  

Oh and BTW that i7 4790k is a 4 core processor.  That AMD processor on that chart is doing fairly well.