$800 Build Help

13»

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,733
    edited January 2
    Not looking into overclocking as I don't really know what I would be doing.. @holdenhamlet where would I go to do this? Would keeping the 6300 be a bad thing as supposed to going with a 8350? I've read some people say no built in wifi.. Will I need to buy a wifi card or could I just plug up my wifi adapter thing that I currently have now?

You go to the main Windows website and download it.  It's not pirating- you're getting it directly from Windows.  Windows has an .exe to make a bootable usb with it or you can burn it to a dvd.

When installing, just click "I don't have a key", and it will install fine.  The price you pay is there is a reminder watermark on your desktop to authenticate.

In Windows 7, there was an extremely annoying pop-up that would randomly pop-up that had all kinds of insulating things about you not being a good person- in windows 10 it's just the watermark.  They're apparently trying something new with Windows 10 to make it more accessible (or they just realized that their OS was getting priated all the time so they decided to cut out the middleman and at least have a chance of getting some money for their product).

Also, there are links and stuff to other programs so I'm sure they're making money just advertising stuff through the OS.

There is a chance they could disable updates if you don't authenticate or something in the future, but I brought up this idea since it seems like saving $100 could allow you to get some better parts, and you could authenticate later on if you wanted to.  $100 goes a long way in an $800 build, and as far as I can tell, it behaves exactly the same as the authenticated version (I just did this a couple weeks ago when I shorted my motherboard and had to reinstall windows).  And it seems like a very nice OS- definitely slicker than 7 imo.

As for other questions, I'm not an expert builder- just finishing up my own first complete build so I don't want to give any bad info.  I certainly don't know a thing about AMD CPUs as I've always used intel.

Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAMember EpicPosts: 6,046
    Wizardry said:
    I would try hard to get to an I-7 4790K chip,i can't see them being very expensive,i have one and i am happy with it.
    All around 300 bucks...
     I7 4790K
    I7 6700
    I7 4790
    That leaves you 500 bucks for the rest.Personally i would say don't be impatient,get one piece at a time,take a month or so and buy a little each week.Ask a lot of questions from a dealer,like how  about a motherboard,it's ports capabilities,can it upgrade which also goes for your tower,make sure you can fit any size card in the tower.

Gpu i forget was just looking at them a week ago but my memory is terrible.A quick look tells me the RX 480 and if you simply can't wait or afford this one or a better gtx980,then a real cheap budget card would be of course dropping down to Rx 470...460.
    Me personally,as i said i would try to buy a little at a time and perhaps that means going over your 800 budget as i would aim more for a $1200 rig,that is what i am looking at personally.

2 thoughts:

Unles your buying used, right now a 4790K is actually more expensive than a 6700K, and they are about the same speed in games. Plus it runs on older Z97 motherboards, with DDR3, that aren't as common anymore than the Z170 counterparts with DDR4. CPUs don't tend to get cheaper as they get older (barring fire sales from retailers who are just trying to clear inventory before tax season) - they tend to get more expensive because the people who are looking for them are looking specifically for them and are willing to pay a bit more.

As far as buying a little at a time, I'd also counter that. You don't have a way to test your components together until you make the last (or near final) purchase - so if you need to RMA the very first thing you bought, you're into it for a much longer warranty claim (assuming your even still under warranty and don't drag it out too long) than a simple retailer return/exchange. If you play it right and pick stuff up on sale, you can come out ahead on price, but then your basing your build around whatever the deal of the day is, not what you actually want or need in the computer. Lastly, if your still buying parts 3-6-9 months from now, what is available at the end of the road on that build may be a lot different than what's available today (Vega, Ryzen, Kaby, etc). If you had just saved your cash and built the entire thing 6 months from now, you would probably have a very different setup than if you piecemeal it, and probably be better off for it. 

Now, don't confuse that advice for "Wait for XYZ to come out" - I think once you set your budget, and you have that money in hand - you buy the best you can for that budget at the time. Something better is ~always~ around the corner, but there's something to be said for the computer you can use today versus the one that may be better tomorrow. That's distinct from having a budget, but only having X% of that budget available.

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Bogor, West JavaMember RarePosts: 855
    Not looking into overclocking as I don't really know what I would be doing.. @holdenhamlet where would I go to do this? Would keeping the 6300 be a bad thing as supposed to going with a 8350? I've read some people say no built in wifi.. Will I need to buy a wifi card or could I just plug up my wifi adapter thing that I currently have now?

You go to the main Windows website and download it.  It's not pirating- you're getting it directly from Windows.  Windows has an .exe to make a bootable usb with it or you can burn it to a dvd.

When installing, just click "I don't have a key", and it will install fine.  The price you pay is there is a reminder watermark on your desktop to authenticate.

In Windows 7, there was an extremely annoying pop-up that would randomly pop-up that had all kinds of insulating things about you not being a good person- in windows 10 it's just the watermark.  They're apparently trying something new with Windows 10 to make it more accessible (or they just realized that their OS was getting priated all the time so they decided to cut out the middleman and at least have a chance of getting some money for their product).

Also, there are links and stuff to other programs so I'm sure they're making money just advertising stuff through the OS.

There is a chance they could disable updates if you don't authenticate or something in the future, but I brought up this idea since it seems like saving $100 could allow you to get some better parts, and you could authenticate later on if you wanted to.  $100 goes a long way in an $800 build, and as far as I can tell, it behaves exactly the same as the authenticated version (I just did this a couple weeks ago when I shorted my motherboard and had to reinstall windows).  And it seems like a very nice OS- definitely slicker than 7 imo.

As for other questions, I'm not an expert builder- just finishing up my own first complete build so I don't want to give any bad info.  I certainly don't know a thing about AMD CPUs as I've always used intel.

Yes, technically that's not pirating, only using trial software. Pirating is when you forcefully "licensing" your windows with various cracks or hacks that you can get on internet.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.

That will work, but don't confuse that with getting a Windows license for free. Microsoft still expects that you will pay for it eventually (and legally obligates you to in the TOS/EULA) , and that is the legal answer. 

The license still costs around $100, your just deferring that cost in this case. If you don't intend to pay, your pirating. Sure, this time around, as much as people love to dog on Windows 10, Microsoft has decided to not disable or deactivate your computer for failure to comply with licensing. But that could change at any time, they have done that in the past, and it doesn't change the legality of it.

The "correct" answer, if you can't afford Windows, is to not run it, and use something like Linux or FreeBSD. I understand that's possible in some cases, but certainly not with a lot of MMOs, which is why it's a pretty safe assumption to make that you will be wanting a Windows license.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,733
    edited January 3
    Ridelynn said:

That will work, but don't confuse that with getting a Windows license for free. Microsoft still expects that you will pay for it eventually (and legally obligates you to in the TOS/EULA) , and that is the legal answer. 

The license still costs around $100, your just deferring that cost in this case. If you don't intend to pay, your pirating. Sure, this time around, as much as people love to dog on Windows 10, Microsoft has decided to not disable or deactivate your computer for failure to comply with licensing. But that could change at any time, they have done that in the past, and it doesn't change the legality of it.

The "correct" answer, if you can't afford Windows, is to not run it, and use something like Linux or FreeBSD. I understand that's possible in some cases, but certainly not with a lot of MMOs, which is why it's a pretty safe assumption to make that you will be wanting a Windows license.
    How am I confusing anybody?  I'm explaining exactly how it works.  I said there's a risk they might limit accessibility at some point, but for the time being, it works completely fine.

Don't assume you know all the "right answers", and there's nothing illegal about it...

Like I said, $100 goes a long way in a $800 build.  He can pay the $100 later and use it now to get a better CPU or something he won't have to upgrade later, which will likely be a much bigger expense and pain in the ass in the long run.

Worse case scenario is Windows shuts off all access to people who haven't authorized (which they never did with windows 7 trials, btw), which I don't foresee happening, but he could just use linux, which is free, until he gets an OS at that point.  That is really unlikely to happen though. 

Obviously Windows is fine with this or they wouldn't make it available.  I'm sure they don't mind the free advertising money they make from people using it (it's bundled with a whole bunch of links to programs that a novice would be interested in) with the bonus that they'll probably get $100 out of them at some point in the future.

Here's a link to how to do it, although I already explained it an it is very simple, but this is a walkthrough:

http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • filmoretfilmoret Palm Bay, FLMember EpicPosts: 4,906
    If your gf's computer is running windows 7 or later then you can use that key to activate windows 10.  Unless its OEM then it might work and might not.  Just goto microsoft and download windows 10 for usb and install it on the computer.  Then legally you have to wipe the hdd of your girlfriends computer.
    Are you onto something or just on something?

Like I said, $100 goes a long way in a $800 build.  He can pay the $100 later and use it now to get a better CPU or something he won't have to upgrade later, which will likely be a much bigger expense and pain in the ass in the long run.
    Just making sure we are all on the same page. Your original posts made it sound like it was just free software. That's very different from $100, no matter when you fork it over.

filmoret said:
    If your gf's computer is running windows 7 or later then you can use that key to activate windows 10.  Unless its OEM then it might work and might not.  Just goto microsoft and download windows 10 for usb and install it on the computer.  Then legally you have to wipe the hdd of your girlfriends computer.
    Now this is interesting. I was under the impression that the free upgrade offer had long since expired.

Do you have a source for this, including where it says you legally have to wipe the hard drive? I've never heard anything about that, at all, ever.
  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIMember RarePosts: 2,902
    Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:
    Now this is interesting. I was under the impression that the free upgrade offer had long since expired.

Do you have a source for this, including where it says you legally have to wipe the hard drive? I've never heard anything about that, at all, ever.

It is a known that MS extended the free Win 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/

http://1reddrop.com/2017/01/01/start-2017-free-windows-10-upgrade-microsoft/

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• filmoretfilmoret Palm Bay, FLMember EpicPosts: 4,906
    botrytis said:
    Ridelynn said:
    filmoret said:

It is a known that MS extended the free Win 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-the-ways-you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free/

http://1reddrop.com/2017/01/01/start-2017-free-windows-10-upgrade-microsoft/
    They are still doing free upgrades.  Odd thing I tried to transfer a windows 10 key to my new computer and it didnt work.  But the old windows 7 key activated it.
    Are you onto something or just on something?