Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play on a PvE or PvP server ?

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Tarren Mill was on the other continent  O.o

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2017
    Tried it but its too cartoony

Class system (Who uses class systems anymore) any game making something based around (Mage) (Warrior) (Ranger) ETC. Is doing it wrong !

As for if I would play, IF NCsoft made the game more realistic instead of like Tripping the rift, or more adult themed sure...
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited January 2017
    Kunai_Vax said:
    ste2000 said:

Do you remember how there would always be battles going on along the main road through Ashenvale? And at some point enough people would have naturally gathered that a raid was formed to either raid Astranaar or Crossroads  :p
    Yeah dude, that's the best PvP ever.
    But it got even better when you raid the Capital Cities......... the mayhem!
    Even though I was doing some PvE stuff, when I heard in chat "Raiding Stormwind!11!!!1" I would drop everything to join the fun.
    Hundreds of players slaughtering opposing players and helpless NPCs.
    It was so pointless but so much fun.
    None of that plastic and artificial PvP which has no place in MMORPGs IMO.

Watch this, action starts at 1:35

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Kunai_Vax said:
    Tarren Mill was on the other continent  O.o

Yes, my bad it was mate. 

• ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Would love to see a Sullon Zek style PVP server.  Three teams divided by chosen deity.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    i loved how pvp helped keep people in check in EQ1. on my old server not only will you still get blacklisted for being a jackass, you will also get tracked down (literally) and blocked from doing whatever it is you are trying to do. some of the best guild vs guild pvp i have ever been a part of took place in EQ1 and the winners would almost always res you up and let you leave the zone in peace because that was the community rules.

on vallon zek if you honorably killed someone that was not already on a mob they had to be allowed to get their corpse and leave the zone immediately for at least an hour. that was a rule implemented by the community and strictly enforced.

people got kicked out of their guild for not doing it or killing people on a mob, training, or anything that could piss off the bigger guilds that would make you pay if you didn't play along.

that is why i prefer pvp over pve but it will depend how the pvp servers work in this game, if they are just a FFA gank fest with a shitty community then i might just play on pve.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited February 2017
    There will be a PvP server or more then that if needed. The said they have a way they will balance characters without messing up PvE. As they know unbalanced classes with regard to PvP is what makes a good PvE game. Vice versa. This is their plan to cater to both but this will be a PvE game first. 
  • dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21
    MMORPG pvp has always been a joke to me. A system setup for players who have no skills just time, and need unbalanced classes, numbers, and/or gear to defeat their opponents. As mentioned above, I also do not believe they will ship a working title anytime soon if ever. McQuaid is running the team. 
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    looks like pve is ahead by a large margin
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Who'd have guessed that a game marketed as a PvE MMO would attract more PvE players to vote on a poll.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Every mmo these days try to walk the PvE/PvP fence and end up failing at both. One thing that sets Pantheon apart is knowing it's PvE identity. Every dollar Visionary spends on PvP is 95 cents wasted.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I kinda hope that they only release PvE.  Why?  Because I think it will be a miracle if they release with all of the planned classes and races.  Without all of these, it is pretty darn hard to make PvP practical.  You need every piece of the puzzle to see what works and balance it out.  So I hope they release PvE and add PvP later, once all of the different variables are there.

And please please please, you don't have to balance PvP and then throw the glop you come up with on the PvE servers.  Keep the rulesets for classes and races separate.  I don't want to play a 'PvP balanced' tank in PvE.  I want to play a tough as nails character that takes forever to kill things, and let my teammates do the killing while I take the damage and control the flow of the battle.  That type of character is left behind in PvP, which is why they need less D and more O for PvP.  Fine by me, just don't force PvP 'balancing' on me when I am doing PvE.  I don't mind two different playstyles on different ty7pes of servers.  Even if the character rulesets are exactly the same, you play completely different on PvE and PvP servers; so there is no reason to force the 80% in PvE to use the compromise rulesets needed by the 20% in PvP.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Every mmo these days try to walk the PvE/PvP fence and end up failing at both. One thing that sets Pantheon apart is knowing it's PvE identity. Every dollar Visionary spends on PvP is 95 cents wasted.

I agree,

I'm not against PvP, but time and money are critical in the early stages of an expansive to make mmo.

Let's add, all the attacks of this game will be about balancing and rules. Also don't forget from a players perspective " all players that loose will be blaming the game itself ".

Asking people what is fair is like asking people what is normal....Their is no answer !!!
  • zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    If game has servers split into PvP and PvE I won't play it. One type of servers or nothing, no workarounds.
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    zzax said:
    If game has servers split into PvP and PvE I won't play it. One type of servers or nothing, no workarounds.
    Guess you will not be playing it then. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    PvE is the focus of Pantheon. Just because they turn on the PvP switch and create a server or two where people can kill each other, does not mean they've somehow betrayed their vision. They did the same in EQ and Vanguard.

News flash, PvP was enabled in the earliest Pantheon streams. Probably because they hadn't created a different system for mobs and players. The world did not end.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Would be a lame PvP if you ask me.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Soki123 said:
    That depends on the PVP community more so than anything else. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Distopia said:
    Soki123 said:

Ya true, but the combat just doesn t seem like it would be a fun PvP game to me. Have to see, look forward to the pve game of it anyways.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I'm not sure what type of server I would want.  I prefer for it to be based on faction.  So if you kill a bunch of dark elves as an example, your faction with dark elves will drop.  This then makes you 'flagged' to be attacked by players that happen to be dark elves.  So I guess PVP contigent on your actions based on faction PVE.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Distopia said:
    Soki123 said:
    PVP communities are always lame, its up to the devs to direct and control the bad behavior.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zzaxzzax Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Mylan12 said:
    zzax said:
    Why? Theres huge chance that it will be PvE only.
    zzax said:
    Mylan12 said:
    zzax said:
    Maybe I misunderstood your post. They have stated they will have mostly PVE servers with likely a separate PVP server or two and maybe a few others with different rules. 
    Kyleran said:
    Distopia said:
    Soki123 said:
    PVP communities are always lame, its up to the devs to direct and control the bad behavior.
    The only game that I liked the PVP being a PVE type person was "early" DAoC. The server I played on had very little lameness and the RvR was fun. I not seen a game before or since that I could stand the PvP. 
  • ZuljanZuljan Member UncommonPosts: 123
    edited February 2017
    zzax said:
    Mylan12 said:
    zzax said:
    They explicitly said multiple times PvP and PvE servers will be in at release along with RP (role playing)