Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone play mmos in vr?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
Was wondering how is it in Azeroth or Tamriel with an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive strapped on.  I just got the vive and would love to get put inside of WoW. 

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm not positive, but I don't think you can just strap on a Vive and play anything in VR.  They have to actually port the game over, and I haven't heard that WoW or ESO have done this yet.  Would definitely be neat though.

I self identify as a monkey.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I'm not positive, but I don't think you can just strap on a Vive and play anything in VR.  They have to actually port the game over, and I haven't heard that WoW or ESO have done this yet.  Would definitely be neat though.
    There are ways to do it, but primarily when you do this, you're basically looking at a virtual big screen inside your set.  You can look around, but the game is still focus forward,  like what happens when you watch netflix in their netflix theater. 

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    mgilbrtsn said:
    There are ways to do it, but primarily when you do this, you're basically looking at a virtual big screen inside your set.  You can look around, but the game is still focus forward,  like what happens when you watch netflix in their netflix theater. 
    Thx for the info. 

I self identify as a monkey.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    I do not think MMO are at the moment really suitable for the VR. Maybe to sightsee or something, but the VR headset does not seem like something you want to wear long periods in a row. A long breakless raid does not seem to be suitable or fun with a VR headset on for example. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Yes, I do, and it's great.  It's a completely different ballpark.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

So you are playing baseball mmorpgs?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Vendetta is one of the few that is actually made for a VR experience, I think he was meaning like,  regular MMOs like WoW. 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    waynejr2 said:

So you are playing baseball mmorpgs?
    Vendetta is one of the few that is actually made for a VR experience, I think he was meaning like,  regular MMOs like WoW. 
    Thank you both, that just made my day :smile:

I'll grant Vendetta isn't what normally springs to mind when people say "MMO", but it is technically an MMORPG and it does run in VR.  It's even older than WoW.

Beyond a sense of presence and immersion, the headset literally does change the way I play; just last night I was probing the defenses on a player blockade, and having the ability to look over my shoulder ("check six") while running, being pursued by 3 other players, allowed me to have greater situational awareness and take a more aggressive tack than I normally would.

For the first time, it felt like having VR was actually an advantage, when up until this point I didn't have any concrete experiences I could point to and say "this is how VR gave me an edge".

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance