Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you arent playing Vanilla WoW in some capacity right now, your doing yourself a disservice.

Honestly, I wont go into specifics on servers and what not, but I will say that is currently very easy to play Vanilla WoW and in flawless condition. 

It's not a Nostalgia Bomb, its not "Just a themepark", its literally the MMO that became a cultural revolution in its prime and its incredible. 

I grouped at level 4 you guys, LEVEL 4! To kill a spider boss mob that aggro'd on me and almost killed me in a few hits (Am Druid). 

The combat for me is what I really missed, especially playing a Night Elf. Double Jumping back in forth between enemies for a quick hit and the wonders of a competent tab-target system make me wonder how so much has been lost in translation since WoW became a mega-success. 

Simply put, its an experience, and if you never had it, its damn good, if you already had it, its still just damn good.
Galadourn

Comments

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I would like to see a video from you on that topic!

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited December 2016

Couldn't agree more. I log on every now and then and it never ceases to amaze me how active the entire world is. Because of no phasing, every zone is popular and the difficult nature of a lot of quests make it so grouping becomes second nature. It is a great game.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The constant spam of more or less disguised advertisement for an illegal server is not very smart... just saying.
    Encouraging people to participate in an illegal act, is somewhat reprehensible. If for instance i thought that shop lifting was an incredibly fun thing to do, huge adrenaline rush, actual rewards for success etc. should i then also encourage others do repeat this? i don't think so. :o
    collekt
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2016
    I never played Official vanilla WoW, i started playing the official WoW  with Cata. With that said, i played illegal servers with my friend who introduced me to WoW. We played some vanilla, TBC, and WotLK.

Want to know something cool? i thanked my friend for introducing me to WoW then bought the official game and left him behind. I'll take current WoW over classic WoW any day, but i wouldn't mind if they put instanced content in the back shelf and focused on the open world experience instead. I would resub more often if that ever happened.

Just my thoughts.

EDIT: it would be nice if BLizz slowly started introducing more sandbox-ish features to the open world.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited December 2016
    I did try it, nothing like playing a game where quest objects becomes inactive in the newbie area, running back and forth to turn in quests just to get a second quest in the same god damned place and waiting for named mobs to spawn.

Leveling was the same awful experience as when you played up an alt, slow, tedious and it depended on the class you were playing. I was interested to test healing in vanilla zones because I only played main tank during those years and this time I hated leveling the priest even more than I did originally, to the point where I simply stopped playing.

I did my time in vanilla wow, alliance first warrior on an original eu-server, bunch of server first kills as main tank and led a raid group during bwl and beyond. You didn't start a new character because you wanted to experience leveling again, you did it because you wanted to play something new at endgame.

At the end of vanilla you couldn't find anyone that didn't want the vanilla experience to be over and don't get me started on the molten bore, the boring core or whatever you want to call the first raid dungeon. Dear god what awful boss mechanics MC and BWL had. The potion madness of naxxramas wasn't any better.

With your first character it was an interesting experience, with alts the game started at the endgame, with the endgame being raid or die.

/rant off
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    I have played both the original and one of the latest "illegal" iteration. I have to admit that the amount of socializing you can find on those servers makes the current wow feel sad. It brings back that feeling of "having to group with others to do it right", that's something that is missing from today's game selection, although not everyone is fond of it.

What I feel is not there anymore is the exploration, the unknown, the cool item you would not have expected. You can play on one of these servers and have fun leveling to 60, make friends and re-experience something nice, but when you hit cap it's all about BiS farming and doing it in the most efficient way. It is as if there is a crowd of players who constantly move from one of these servers to the next, only to see how fast they can level up, get their bis gear fro mdungeons and clear all raid content available.

I couldn't find the feeling I had in 2004 about end game dungeons.
    MrMelGibson
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    It's strange that people in vanilla feel the need to "group to do it right". I never felt the need to group back in 2004 when I leveled my first druid. Either those third party servers have screwed up their balance, or, well... I'm just good at soloing (including that spider in the night elf starter area).

Something I definitely don't miss compared to vanilla is the utterly awful grind for fire resistance, and later nature resistance, before being able to get to the good stuff.
    Half the quests in hinterlands require a group. No way you're telling me you solo'd that. 

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I just love these threads telling me I am doing it wrong.

I am really happy these people are trying to safe me and I feel great respect and gratitude towards them.
    MrMelGibson
    Harbinger of Fools
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    I will say, I'm going to pass. I had those experiences when it came out and they were great. Looking back on them now, meh. I could do with out the insane grind, the ultra repetitive nature, the no mechanic fights and the agonizing pain of a headache that 40 man raiding was. Plus why put time into something Blizz is just ghana bring the court hammer down on anyway. As well as who wants to really play a server in which it will run out of content. There is nothing new to look forward to, no story speculation, no new content. No new classes and ultimately outdated mechanics that even in legion (which has made huge improvements) is starting to feel very dated. Im enjoying my FFXIV time, and my single player games, Vanilla was great but trying to drag it from the history books is just a waste of time.
    MrMelGibson
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    meh already did it when was live , and tried it again long time ago , some classes leveling were miserable (priest was the most boring , wand talent included ) but melees didnt have any better , bandage /eat every other mob....paladin rotation in vanilla was RNG , u could destroy a mob in 1s or take 10s....
    Hunter the most easy , yet boring too used mostly autoshot because mana was all the time low some arcane shot here and there and heal the pet , mages frost and frost, stoping to drinking more than in New year :tongue:
    MrMelGibson
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I spent some time playing on one of the "illegal" old-school servers.  I am of the same mindset as a lot of vets, in that WoW has changed a great deal, and imho, it hasn't changed for the better.  Its current iteration, and the past couple of years really, have over-simplified the game so that the Twitter kids can raid now, and the social aspects of it have declined, as they have in pretty much every MMO in existence.

That being said, the trouble I had with the server I played on was as someone above me mentioned: at some point, you hit a wall, and your only rewarding activity is to farm BiS gear.  Once you do that, there is honestly little left for you.  I always kind of wondered how many of the people on that server were going to get bored and then go on to the "next" expansion-dedicated realm.  It's a fun idea, and I loved me some BC, but you just can't play it forever.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Is this what the new "cool" is?
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Since when is promoting piracy okay on MMORPG.com forums? 
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Phry said:
    The constant spam of more or less disguised advertisement for an illegal server is not very smart... just saying.
    Encouraging people to participate in an illegal act, is somewhat reprehensible. If for instance i thought that shop lifting was an incredibly fun thing to do, huge adrenaline rush, actual rewards for success etc. should i then also encourage others do repeat this? i don't think so. :o
    You should make a game where you can commit and encourage reprehensible acts without worry of real life consequences.

I don't encourage bad behavior in real life generally.  Especially if you can go to jail for it.  This type of stuff used to be pretty normal though.  I remember a time where people actively torrented music, movies, games, and it was acceptable to talk about it on forums.  Now you will be suspended for doing so.  It was a reprehensible environment, but it was also fun to watch the chaos.  People should be able to unleash their inner beasts/emotions in video games.  That is the only place it's safe (though not anymore apparently).
    Make a Minecraft server, enable PvP and destruction without any restrictions, advertise it to other asshats, and enjoy your reprehensible act FFA PvP world. Let's see how long it will last before you have to reset the server because it's unplayable.
    Who says it has to a game where everything can be destroyed/deconstructed?  Regardless I'm sure some people do this and have fun.  I'm never been a huge Minecraft fan. Sometimes it's fun to take on the role of a devious bad guy or a reprehensible thief in game. They are usually more exciting and different from the norm.  That is why we have many stories written about such people throughout history.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Make a Minecraft server, enable PvP and destruction without any restrictions, advertise it to other asshats, and enjoy your reprehensible act FFA PvP world. Let's see how long it will last before you have to reset the server because it's unplayable.
    Uh, I must be slow or something today but I fail to see what this have to do with anything?

Shouldn't you have post this on a forum saying that all sandbox MMOs need PvP or something?
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Flyte27 said:
    Phry said:
    You should make a game where you can commit and encourage reprehensible acts without worry of real life consequences.

I don't encourage bad behavior in real life generally.  Especially if you can go to jail for it.  This type of stuff used to be pretty normal though.  I remember a time where people actively torrented music, movies, games, and it was acceptable to talk about it on forums.  Now you will be suspended for doing so.  It was a reprehensible environment, but it was also fun to watch the chaos.  People should be able to unleash their inner beasts/emotions in video games.  That is the only place it's safe (though not anymore apparently).
    Your example does not correlate with what is taking place.  You can release your "inner beast" in video games, but if you decided that you are going to release your "inner beast" by doing something illegal in the real world be prepared to pay the price.  
    Flyte27 said:
    Who says it has to a game where everything can be destroyed/deconstructed?  Regardless I'm sure some people do this and have fun.  I'm never been a huge Minecraft fan. Sometimes it's fun to take on the role of a devious bad guy or a reprehensible thief in game. They are usually more exciting and different from the norm.  That is why we have many stories written about such people throughout history.
    People do this, but the server had to be regularly reset to remain viable. That's no virtual world MMORPG, that's more akin to an instanced battleground that resets regularly.

Your precisely said: "You should make a game where you can commit and encourage reprehensible acts without worry of real life consequences.". That's about murder, destruction, crime, harassment, etc... and without the "real life" consequences for it, it doesn't work for long term "virtual worlds".
    That is very true.  I don't think many people would submit to being a victim continuously.  It doesn't have to a PvP game or even an MMO though.  It could be PvE with ways to harass other players through things like trains, kill stealing, or ninja looting.  If all else fails single player games could be fun.  I really think it's all about the attitudes of the players.  If they are unwilling to allow themselves to have some fun in a fantasy environment because they feel to morally obliged to adhere to some moral code then such a game will never be fun for them.  Likely they will never have real fun playing a game though IMO.  They will never feel the emotional rush you can get both watching and participating.  You are likely correct that it's not likely to happen in today's society though.  People are to empathetic.  They will probably feel bad for the pixels they killed or stole.  Getting drunk and doing drugs in game is terrible because it is in real life.  Then again maybe such games should have some kind of age rating.  I was likely exposed to too much depravity when I was a kid.  Video games and the internet had no restrictions when I started using them.  I think there is a market there though.  It's likely for people who grew up in a different time period then the millennials (empathy generation) though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Fuck Vanilla WoW.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Never liked vanilla wow. Was great a couple years later though.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    How about..... if you are having a good time, enjoy yourself and stop there.

No need to go into how if others are not also doing what you doing they are doing themselves a disservice.

It just comes off as condescending.

I think it is a symptom of they don't have enough sheep to kill and life among the few wolves isn't that fun.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I played vanilla WoW when it was current, would never go back to it.  Now kindly stop shitting up the pub with threads about this nonsense.
    MrMelGibson
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited December 2016

I have respect for copyright/trademark laws so I will not be, and will never, play it unless it's either given the blessing of Blizzard or done by Blizzard itself. With all of the threads around here surrounding the ethics of payment methods/microtransactions and KS/EA I don't think my position is unreasonable.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    "It's not a Nostalgia Bomb"    ....uh, yes it is.  Classic WoW was great for it's time, but it still has bugs, inconvenience, unnecessary grinds, unnecessary group quests, worthless professions, etc.  I could go on, but i think already shattered the nostalgia daydream.