Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG’s Best of 2016 Awards a Columns at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMORPG’s Best of 2016 Awards a Columns at MMORPG.com

It’s the end of the world year as we know it, and that means it’s time for us here at MMORPG.com to gather around and salute our picks for the best MMOs and RPGs of 2016, plus the ones we’re most anxious for in 2017. Read on for our Best of 2016 Awards!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    The Witcher 3 is love, the Witcher 3 is life.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited December 2016
    i must of been reading the wrong website this year....- don't recognize nor care for any of the winners- only familiar with wow's expansion.

oh well.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

orbitxo said:

i must of been reading the wrong website this year....- don't recognize nor care for any of the winners- only familiar with wow's expansion.

oh well.

Yup, it was a clean miss on all counts for me as well.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2016
    I'd be surprised if even one game on the most anticipated list actually "launches" in 2017.

Unlike MMORPG.com I don't consider half baked early access as "launched" but what the hell, the meaning behind MMO, P2W, and several other formerly clear terms have all been turned into 50 shades of gray.

I didn't play anything but EVE so it gets my vote in every category, even mobile. ;)

On that note I'll bet the ESO fans will be chanting, "we was robbed!"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    orbitxo said:

oh well.
    Oh do tell! What would your choices have been in these categories?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SBFord said:
    orbitxo said:

oh well.
    Oh do tell! What would your choices have been in these categories?

Your ability to subtley apply salt has grown most impressive Suzie. +1
    :)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

I didn't play anything but EVE so it gets my vote in every category, even mobile. ;)

On that note I'll bet the ESO fans will be chanting, "we was robbed!"

They won enough in recent years. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I was surprised by XIV beating out GW2. It seems like GW2 has kept a slight edge over ESO and others over the years. I haven't played XIV outside of the first 3-4 months because of how grindy it felt, although very pretty. This list makes me think that BDO and XIV may be worth a harder look. Great list, Murphy!

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I don't get the hype for New World, right now it sounds like just another survival sandbox.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Aori said:
    Shaigh said:
    I don't get the hype for New World, right now it sounds like just another survival sandbox.

It is a new AAA contender in the industry, we haven't had one in awhile. They have to make a splash, so everyone is going to be curious what they bring.
    Right now its hype of an announcement more than hyping a game, its essentially the hype we had for EQN before the SOE live announcement and we all know what happened with that game.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited December 2016
    What, no Overwatch!?! This is preposterous! Just kidding. I'm glad it's not up there because I would then need to pull out my Paladins skinned pitchfork (since Blizzard created pitchforks first).

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    I guess we can agree on that ESO didn't win the best MMO award only because it already won it for 2 years straight? FFXIV is a decent pick though.

As for the Best MMO DLC/Expansion, I find it hard to believe that Legion won. It's basically more of the same, just less and more grindy. One Tamriel had a much bigger impact on ESO, it was a game changer.

Other picks are pretty good choices too.
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Ok, let's get into this. Let's discuss your picks, MMORPG.com!

Best Mobile MMO or RPG: Pokémon Go! - Ok, well, let's start the discussion... not right now...

Best MOBA or Battle Game: Battlerite - It is hard to go wrong with any MOBA. They are all around the same quality, which is good for mobile. They are all built well. They would be severely lacking in competition on PC or Console, which is the point of MOBA. If one manages to double the content and pull the competition into the CounterStrike era of quality competition for semi-small games (CS compared to BF1 in sheer size of content/maps), then MOBAs, and Battlerite, would be worthy of real discussion. Decent pick, but only because most any MOBA would suffice.

Most Anticipated RPG: Mass Effect Andromeda - Possibly Sponsored. This is a very safe pick, I think it is the correct pick as it probably matches most everyone's opinion, and honestly this is going to be a fantastic game. Makes me want to play #1, continue the save into #2, and ok well you get the idea. I want to create the scenario that starts in Andromeda! Then, maybe, I'll start a new save in Andromeda and see what the creator's chose for the storyline. My storyline over theirs, if optional, every time. That is what makes a good RPG great, these days. Great pick.

Most Anticipated MMO: New World - Probably Sponsored. This is most likely going to be the best MMO released in 2017. As a funny side note, it is also the MMO most likely to be released when the developers say it is going to be released. Amazon doesn't play around, which is good for gamers. Quality is assured, MMO content and player satisfaction are just a hope no matter how you argue it as they have no history here, and they will definitely back it with the support it needs to succeed assuming there is no mass exodus in relation to the MMO content and player satisfaction in the first year. This game has the best potential as far as tangible development. Fantastic pick.

Best Expansion or DLC for an RPG: The Witcher 3's Blood and Wine Expansion - This is probably the best pick, and coincidentally it is really the only pick considerable. Unless you really wanted to create an argument that would take a lot of time and most likely some forum trolling to get it rolling. The game itself was amazing. As one of my best and most trusted friends told me, "someone finally made a good game again". The expansion does not disappoint. Good pick, considering there isn't much else, but if there was something to consider it against this would become a great pick.

Best Expansion or DLC for an MMO: World of Warcraft: Legion - In the modern era, as in... the last, what, 5, 6, maybe 7 years, there have been no MMO quality expansions outside of WoW. This continues to be true. Legion has brought back more people than even the pandalands brought back. That is impressive. The game is only continuing to survive, and maintain a considerably high player base compared to other MMOs despite hemorrhaging players a couple of expansions in, and it is in large part due to their high quality expansions. Say what you want about the consistent end-game massive loot power increase and what it does to eliminate the rest of the game before it, these expansions are quality MMO products and, in all fairness, are the only ones being created currently. Good pick.

Best New MMO: Black Desert Online - Let's be clear here, there wasn't much else to consider. Also, the content isn't very flashy and the loot is clearly designed to be directed towards the cash shop. However, this is a quality MMO, especially when compared to MMOs released in the recent few years. If you can get past the bland colors and limited gear, without paying for new colors/designs, this is a very good game. Good pick.

Best Overall RPG: Final Fantasy XV - You can't go wrong picking a Final Fantasy game. This is a fact. You may not like them, but that most likely is because you don't like RPGs. Real RPGs. Not Japanese RPGs, or Korean RPGs, or American RPGs, but real RPGs. Final Fantasy is everything that makes an RPG what it is. Final Fantasy also continues to take the 10/10 RPG design and push the envelope of new and better development, in every new game. Minus Final Fantasy IX. Final Fantasy IX was a throwback, and it was still fantastic since it used the 10/10 RPG design. Great pick.

Best Overall MMO: Final Fantasy XIV - This game somehow managed to take everything that made Final Fantasy XI great, threw it out the window, and made a game just as good. Which is a heck of a lot better than what's been coming out in the MMO world these last few years. This is a fantastic game. If you like MMOs, you'll like this game. If you like RPGs, you'll like this game. If you live under a rock, you'd like this game if your back isn't broken and you can get to a store. It is sad people go to the forums saying a lot of people left to play Final Fantasy XV. Ironic, but still sad. This game deserved, and was worthy of, gaining the crown of MMO king and holding it for the next few years. We'll have to wait and see at this point. Great pick.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    I like these picks for the most part, but can't help but laugh at BDO being picked as the best new MMO. Seriously? I mean look, 2016 was probably the worst year in history for MMOs in terms of their actual overall longevity, but BDO? I can name several other MMO blogs/columns/sites where the columnists have simply stopped writing about that train wreck, and yet Mmorpg.com just keeps on rolling with it.....I just think it's funny. A blatant cash-grab with the worst texture pop-in gaming has ever seen is the "best" new title? Wow.
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Best New MMO: Black Desert Online - Let's be clear here, there wasn't much else to consider. Also, the content isn't very flashy and the loot is clearly designed to be directed towards the cash shop. However, this is a quality MMO, especially when compared to MMOs released in the recent few years. If you can get past the bland colors
    As a point of note you can apply in game filters to make it wayyyy more colorful.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Something is strange about an mmo-year when the "best of" picks on mmorpg.com don't infuriate me like they usually do.

I expected at least 3 products from Trion and another 3 from Blizzard to be awarded, plus some EvE in the mix.
    So i clicked the topic ready to write a rant here, like questioning the author's integrity, if the article is legit and all that usual drivel of mine.

Instead this year's awards leave me sitting here with nothing but a thoughful "hmmm...."

:)

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527

Shaigh said:

A sandbox with a huge budget behind it.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    edited December 2016
    I was looking at New World on amazon, and it has a preorder price of $0.00. So I assume it is going to be a F2P game, otherwise they botched the pricing with their preorder price.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Most Anticipated RPG: Mass Effect Andromeda - Possibly Sponsored. 

Most Anticipated MMO: New World - Probably Sponsored. 
    Just....stahp. There. Is. No. "SPONSOR". Unless. It. Is. Clearly. Marked.

These were our staff picks, no more, no less. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I'm so mad my favorite mmo never gets mentioned. Hello Kitty online has won best pvp game ever created in pvp gamer magazine.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    These 'winners'' just show what a completely dismal and hopeless state the whole genre is in.

I havent played any of them (other than Witcher 3) and havent even heard of some of them.

But then again I consider myself smarter than most people and have stopped buying into every flavor of the month best game ever nonsense and dont even buy a game now until it has had time to simmer. Which means more than likely I wont ever buy it. The only exception to that was ESO. I bought that at the right time I think as it was on sale and it was right before they announced the F2P changes and I got all sorts of perks when I bought it and after.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    filmoret said:
    I'm so mad my favorite mmo never gets mentioned. Hello Kitty online has won best pvp game ever created in pvp gamer magazine.

OMG!!! No way!! It's totally P2W! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited December 2016
    SBFord said:

Most Anticipated RPG: Mass Effect Andromeda - Possibly Sponsored. 

Most Anticipated MMO: New World - Probably Sponsored. 
    Just....stahp. There. Is. No. "SPONSOR". Unless. It. Is. Clearly. Marked.

These were our staff picks, no more, no less. 

Ok first off, it's not a federal law, yet, to state something is sponsored. Saying you will state it in your site agreement or anywhere at all is not a contract or guarantee or requirement to honor. News sites do it to avoid frivolous lawsuits by angry people with nothing better to do. I put that next to both because Bioware has, I think, done it before and Amazon has, I think more so, done it before. It was a jab more at those companies than it was at your organization.

Second, geez take a fun poke / joke and laugh. Giving a "you people are ridiculous" is better than whatever that was. I. Like. Periods. Yay!. .

I said a lot more, I liked your picks. I think both games deserve to be in those spots. I agree with a couple people that commented they were surprised your list was so good, I was surprised as well which probably says less nice things about me, I also thought the list was good.

Edit: Also, I'm really bored (obviously).

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I would have to disagree with several of these.

1.  Best mobile RPG or MMO:  How about an actual MMORPG and not an ARG?  Like maybe Dungeon Hunter 5?  I wouldn't even consider PokemonGO an MMO or an RPG in any form.  This seems like a "People will recognize this one" choice to me.

2.  Best MOBA:  Can't argue.  Not part of the MOBA crowd.

3.  Most Anticipated RPG:  Wins by default as there really isn't much announced on the horizon as far as AAA RPG's go.  I think that Cyberpunk 2077 will crush this games larynx, but it also probably won't come out in 2017.

4.  Most Anticipated MMO:  2017 will be another total drought year like this year was for good MMO releases.  I don't think any of the big five on the average person's radar will ship by the end of next year.  That being said, New World isn't even on most people's list.  CU easily tops that list of upcoming titles.

5.  Best Expansion or DLC for RPG:  Can't argue.  Witcher 3 remains the best RPG of the year even though it came out last year.  Even the DLC is better than some entire games released this year.

6.  Best Expansion for MMO:  There's a lot of competition in this category this year.  I would vote for EVE's Ascension update, but then again most people don't stick with EVE for more than 29 days, so I'd be in the minority.  I mean, if we're going by copies sold, then WoW has been winning this category for a decade straight.  Even Panda's outsold everything that came out that year.

7.  Best New MMO:  Ehhh, like I've said in several other posts.  BDO took a huge leap forward in the graphics department and jumped out of an airplane in the progressive game development department.  If this is the new face of MMORPG gaming, then count me out.  I would make a new category and call it The Best new Wallet Harpoon.

8.  Best New RPG:  Huh?  What?  Seriously?  Is this because of some form of recency bias?  I mean, this game is terrible.  It's Asian Hair weekly the RPG.  It looks terrible, it has a mopey silly story and doesn't innovate in any part of the game at all.  Over the past 20 years Final Fantasy has gone from amazing to The Cure meets My Chemical Romance the game.  Uncharted 4 is far and away the better title here.

9.  Best Overall MMO:  I can't even.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Surprised to see BDO there. Each to their own i guess.
    FFXIV - yep, still my favourite. Looking forward to the next expansion.