Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you won the lotto and hired a team of devs, what MMO would you create?

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
Say you acquired a very large sum of money.  Say you also found a competent team of devs eager to show off their skills.  What game would you have them make?  List the aspects you would require if you could put an mmo out to the world.

Myself:
* Medieval / Pioneer Setting
* A Simulation Game much like the EA sims series but for online multiplayer
* A pet system with breeding
* Cash shop free to play or maybe box to pay but definitely NOT a subscription
* Voice system where character's mouth movements mimicked the mic chat.
* Virtual Reality flip switch in housing, small rooms only.
* Small treasure spots with VR flip switch - like find a cellar door and explore a tiny dungeon and when zoning it opts to VR.

What would you have built?

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Something closer to a "morrowind online". But no tab targetting.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I have had this thought believe it or not.  I would probably put my money and additional devs behind the project at Missing Worlds Media for City of Titans.  Many of us CoX victims are still itching for our hero/villian fix.
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Hmm, without putting too much thought (like, actually creating it and the logistics of how it would work) I'd say it would need to have the destruction / digging capabilities of Red Faction (omgosh digging a hole and tunneling above a pillar and chiseling out a small hole to snipe people omgosh!!!) and some massive combination of all of the individual open-world anything-is-possible real-time no-limits features of all of the best games, of course dating from vanilla WoW and everything before, not after.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Something like Eve Online but more PVE focused. PVP would only be in lawless space.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SWG - Pre CU, only NPC's can be Jedi's.
    would have loved to have played that game with a more fleshed out underworld faction, where smugglers could smuggle, where bounty hunters didn't just hunt NPC's, and guilds finally got to own capitol ships. B)
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Phry said:
    SWG - Pre CU, only NPC's can be Jedi's.
    would have loved to have played that game with a more fleshed out underworld faction, where smugglers could smuggle, where bounty hunters didn't just hunt NPC's, and guilds finally got to own capitol ships. B)

Bounty hunters used to track people, it would say when they were online and where they were last seen, from what I remember at least. The smuggling part though, I am with you on that! It would be cool if you could be stopped (I mean for real, I know they'd 'hey stop and talk to us' but never chased) by stormtroopers on Tatooine and chased and caught and be searched or arrested LOL. Capital ships, I am also with you on that one! It's like X3 but in an MMO and Star Wars! Epic. Just epic.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    I would choose between:

Purchasing the rights for Ultima Online and making a proper UO2, or:
    A massive, sandbox/theme park hybrid Steampunk MMO.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    - Scifi / cyberpunk setting
    -no classes, free character development
    - housing, owning shops
    - visitable planets
    - space / flight combat
    - ground / vehicle combat
    - meaningful crafting
    - huge space station(s) (like in mass effect)
    - open world pvp
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    The Secret World with better combat, character faces that had noses, lips and jaws that look like they belong on a human being, more sandbox like features, and way fewer Ak'abs
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    The true wow killer of course
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Daikuru said:
    - housing, owning shops
    - visitable planets
    - space / flight combat
    - meaningful crafting
    - open world pvp
    Open world PVP. I guess you don't want to make money. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Shadowrun, so close to the P&P game as possible. No levels, no tanking and player run corps.

If I couldn't get the license I would make a musketeer MMO. We have too many fantasy MMOs, at least high fantasy. I guess a low, fantasy could work as well.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Hariken said:
    Daikuru said:
    - housing, owning shops
    - visitable planets
    - space / flight combat
    - meaningful crafting
    - open world pvp
    Open world PVP. I guess you don't want to make money. 
    That wasnt the question, and there are people who like open world pvp just like me. Ill never understand care bears. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    Westworld

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    As an IP, I'd go with Warhammer 40k

As a main focus for the game, I'd go Open World PvP with territory control (only the main fronts would be forced pvp, all other zones would be consensual only)

As a more general philosophy, I'd go SWG Pre-cu (i.e. tons of classes, loads of non-combat stuff to do, very sandbox)

As a combat system, I'd create my own. I prefer tab-target with lots of toolbars but that wouldn't do justice to a 40k game. I'd probably keep the toolbars so that my combat system could have depth (something sorely missing these days) but I'd make it free aim with more focus on movement so that its more fast paced. A nice hybrid between dull-but-deep oldschool combat and adhd-button-mashing of action combat. 

I would also want to add the CUBE system from Camelot Unchained so that when my Waaaghh! of Orcs finally takes over a planet, we can start erecting weird and wonderful builds / towns / cities and make it our own.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'd take a game like The Division and make it into a game like TSW.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited December 2016
    Even if I won the lottery I couldn't make the game that I want to play.  EA owns the rights to the IP.  However, since we're dealing in fantasies here anyways, then it would be this:

• A Star Wars MMO set during the Rogue One, New Hope, ESB, RoTJ era
    • Batman/Shadow of Mordor/Assassin's Creed style melee combat
    • Open multi-classing with dozens of skill trees and hundreds of skills
    • Third person ranged combat
    • Player driven economy
    • Extremely deep crafting system with different types of items having their own skill trees
    • Single shard
    • Huge planets with hundreds of miles of space to settle
    • Player built cities
    • Non-instanced space combat
    • Item degredation with use
    • Chance for item to drop during death
    • 3 Faction PVP:  Republic, Sith, Cartel
    • PVP discouraged planets such as Coruscant and Korriban 
    • PVP free planets such as Tatooine

There's a lot more, but it would take up a couple pages really.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    None, because it would be a horrible return for all the effort put in.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

BDO + EQ Dungeon and Trinity System.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I'd like to make something more along the lines of Stephen Kings The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger.  Guns vs Magic in a crazy mixed up environment.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    fodell54 said:
    None, because it would be a horrible return for all the effort put in.
    This is an exercise in creativity, not economics.
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    The MMO I'd make would have:

-Action/skill-based combat.

-Skills improve with usage, with some form of soft cap to prevent master-of-all classes or to prevent players from becoming too efficient in too many areas.

-Heavily focused on grouping at all level (rather than an end-game gimmick), requiring players with various playstyles to play together (a mild take on the holy trinity if you will) .

-Very difficult and challenging encounters. Even non-boss mobs would have to be able to provide some difficulty, I want to completely remove sandbag/pinata mobs.

-More focus on the "World" as the story rather than a story centering around the player.

-No traditional quests. Favoring instead interactions with various NPCs to inquire about rumors or hints (like rumors of a group of bandits roaming somewhere in a forest north of the village). Such events would be more dynamic and random.

-An adventurer's guild. Central hub for players, an area were formal requests and bounties can be placed and collected, created by both players and NPCs.

-Minor differences between equipment types, removing level requirements and iLevels in favor of a design that dictates an armor's strength based on its type (heavy, light, cloth) without significant differences between armors of the same type, other than aesthetics. (If anyone has played Mabinogi, very similar to their armor system, albeit without the anime insanity).

-Becoming a Crafter would be an actual, encouraged, path in the game, rather than some side-activity for PvE players looking to gear themselves up.

-Crafting as an activity, meaning that there is some degree of interactivity (mini-game perhaps) during the crafting process to determine the quality and success rather than watching a loading bar with an RNG for success.

-Crafters able to purchase stores where they can publicly display and sell their wares, take orders, etc.

Those are all the things that comes to mind so far.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I would probably try to have the people making the game design something that is hard to learn.  I always enjoyed early MMOs that didn't ease you into the game and give you tutorials.  I also like to have classes with a lot of exploration abilities like levitate, water breathing, speed enhancement, teleportation, animal form, shrink, grow, etc., but not all classes get these abilities.  The world would have no maps except ones drawn by the players.  There would be lots of dangerous places to go and if you die there is a death penalty to make the adventure feel more like an adventure (danger).  Some classes could solo and others not (as not all classes make sense to solo IMO), but each would have a use/specialty in game.  There would be places for all environments including underwater travel, deserts, plains, volcanic, snowy/icy, and sky.  There would be no exclamation marks over NPCs heads.  You would have to talk to NPCs to find quests.  The quests would be gain a bit more feeling of an adventure as players would have to venture into the unknown dangerous territory and find the right NPC/Animal to kill or other task.  They would have to memorize the landscape around them instead of just rushing through it quickly.  Combat would be more action oriented and based on positional tactics.  Basically it would get away from what has become the norm for MMO mechanics and instead try to create the feeling of a real adventure.  There would be no requirement for a trinity even if that ended up being the most effective way to play.   You could form different combinations and see what was effective and what wasn't on your own.