Brief Update on reddit from Smedley after almost 3 weeks of silence

SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,987
This does not sound good:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Herossong/comments/5j84rj/brief_update/

I really hope this doesn't mean what I think it means because I was looking forward to this game.

Comments

• StizzledStizzled Springfield, MOMember RarePosts: 1,793
    It's their own fault for launching into EA this soon, and with a $20 price tag. Since. the initial buyers let out that there's basically nothing to do but wander around killing things I'm sure the sales have come to a pretty jarring halt.

I'm still keeping my eye on the game, but I've seen no reason to jump in this early. There's probably a lot of potential buyers with the same mindset. 
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,859
    I would say things have largely stalled while they negotiate for additional funding from somewhere.

Probably were hoping the early access numbers would support the case for further funding.

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Valve Corporation Member LegendaryPosts: 9,758
    I have always been of the belief that in business you secure funding before a project begins.
    Most of the history of gaming, games never relied on crowdfunding.
     Secure your funding then make a game. Not the other way around. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax NexusMember RarePosts: 527
    This guy basically drove SOE into the ground. He mismanaged it for years and was never really held accountable. Im really not surprised by the current state of his new game at all. 

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAMember EpicPosts: 7,693
    I have always been of the belief that in business you secure funding before a project begins.

That is (or was) how it was done.  This is a reason to be leery of crowdfunding projects. 
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,021
    It doesn't sound good. I hope they can pull through. There is a foundation for a good game there. I don't regret $20 for the try.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,188
    Well as Blue stated,that makes sense however with crowd funding NOTHING has to make sense,it is a perfectly legal way to take FREE handout money from naive gamer's.Until there is law that stops this crap,scammers like Smed will keep doing it.

NO way does this game deserve to be backed,there are better FINISHED small team ,INDIE projects released that are cheaper and as i stated finished,nothing left to chance.
    I just looked at a JRPG 3 days ago done by ONE person,FINISHED,released on Steam and like a 80-90% very positive review rating.
    Do not give anyone money for some dream in the sky,dreams do not come true,there is no tooth ferry,no magical wand that grants wishes,you give free money to someone you don't really know,then you have a lot to learn in life.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 UKMember UncommonPosts: 342
    This guy basically drove SOE into the ground. He mismanaged it for years and was never really held accountable. Im really not surprised by the current state of his new game at all. 

I'd love you to provide evidence for that statement, as I think you'll find the reality is somewhat different.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    vorpal28 said:

I'd love you to provide evidence for that statement, as I think you'll find the reality is somewhat different.
    I'd also love for you to provide evidence of your different reality ;)

As i recal, wasnt SOE in serious debt prior to its sale? I seem to recall reading about how SOE was being propped up by its parent company for years and Sony took the first offer they recieved for the division. There wasnt even a bidding war. 
    Im only going on memory here, so perhaps im mistaken. If anyone cares to dig up sources to confirm or debunk my beleif please do so. 
    He was a disaster for SWG and dont even get me started on EQN. I still remember a video interview he gave where he casually said that EQN was coming out in 2015 like it was a done deal. The game was no where near finished and at the time of that interview he must have known or had a good idea that SOE was being sold. I also remember reading an article on glassdoor where employers were saying that people at SOE hardly ever got fired even if they were useless at their job and there was tons of waste at the company.

• gervaise1gervaise1 .Member EpicPosts: 4,448
    Securing funding as an indie - tough. Especially if you think you have enough and find you don't.

Within a larger company it isn't easy either. Well trodden path with lots of stages, project reviews and the risk of cancelation ever present.

I think @Kyleran has the gist of it. They hoped to get KS funding; fell flat. Early access. Hoped to use the money raised and the numbers to get further funding.

Its a tough world. Wish them well but hard to get one's hopes up.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,744
    Sadly, with kickstarter and early access, the new business model is: Have a pipe-dream, toss a few ideas together to make it look interesting, beg for handouts, realize that seeing a project through to completion requires a lot more than a pipe-dream, abandon project.

Not the posts i remeber reading on glassdoor last year but they help to back up my point. 

I have been working at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome. Creative fun people trying to make good games.
    Relaxed dress code
    "Fun" atmosphere.
    It's game development, which has a certain aura about it

Cons

Company just changed owners. The future is murky.
    Compensation is below industry average.
    Projects are often over-promised and under-delivered.
    Mandatory crunch fairly often, "voluntary" crunch even more so.
    The company seems to have been rudderless for a while, drifting in various directions while trying to look good to perspective buyers.
    There is no comprehensive company plan. Large projects constantly shift direction, rendering existing work irrelevant.
    Having just been purchased by Columbus Nova, benefits are up for review. There is every indication they will be lower quality than before.

------------

I worked at Sony Online Entertainment full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Super flexible and a fun atmosphere.

Cons

Senior management spends money like it grows on trees.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,505
    vorpal28 said:

May 2014 - http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/14/sony-financials-reveal-huge-loss-with-more-expected

"The Games Segment saw sales rise 38.5 percent, though an operating loss of $78 million was posted, partially due to the huge cost of launching the PlayStation 4, though the decision to shutter certain Sony Online Entertainment MMOs also played a big part"

May 2014 - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-05-14-sonys-game-division-reports-full-year-loss

"In the year ended March 31 2014, it earned ¥979.2 billion in revenue ($9.5 billion), up 38.5 per cent year-on-year thanks to strong sales of the PlayStation 4. But it still lost ¥8.1 billion ($78 million), which Sony attributed to PS4 launch costs and the closure of several Sony Online Entertainment games."

Nov 2015 - http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-Sony-Sold-PlanetSide-2-H1Z1-Developer-71810.html

"The president of the recently formed Daybreak Game Company explained that Sony Online Entertainment just kept growing in size but the revenue wasn't there to match it."

Wading through all the PS4 stuff which John Smedley was not in charge of, the Sony games division almost universally reported losses.  There is way more evidence to show that Smedley was bad at his job.  With a Sony sized budget and some of the best talent in the games industry working their way though his company, for him to not be able to launch a hit says a lot. 

If his division was producing a profit, why would Sony sell it off?  If he was such a great CEO and visionary, why would Daybreak fire him?  If he was so good at developing/managing games and staff, why is his current game not doing so well?

I think you will find that reality is exactly like what dies0mnium stated
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INMember RarePosts: 5,431
    Forgrimm said:
    Sadly, with kickstarter and early access, the new business model is: Have a pipe-dream, toss a few ideas together to make it look interesting, beg for handouts, realize that seeing a project through to completion requires a lot more than a pipe-dream, abandon project.
    SMed is the king of BS also...he knows what terms to throw around to get people to invest and believe in something that may not even exist....Look no further than EQN