Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen – Shattered Dreams

Comments

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    fodell54 said:
    Atlan99 said:
    http://dereksmart.com/2016/10/star-citizen-shattered-dreams/

Not going to post it here because it's really long.

This project is already 2 years behind schedule and they haven't even showed the single player game yet. I think we'll be lucky if this game launches before 2020.

Aren't you the same guy that used to post how SWTOR was going to be the best game ever released. You also said you could see how $175 for a collections addition could be expensive for some but you have some much money it doesn't matter. Wasn't that you?

Anyways, how's that working out for you?
    No.

How's being daze and confused working out for you?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Are they late - absolutely; they underestimated the time taken to set up a mult-national organisation from scratch imo. Especially as they had no guaranteed funds so will have had to take things slowly.

The critical question is "Have they made decent progress in the last 12 months". 

For me the irony of DS's blogs is that they have done wonders to promote SC. "WTF how can something be this bad - oh its not and actually ..... "

And that the negativity forced RSI to release the alpha. It removes all the guess work and all the hype. A double edged sword since yts either in the alpha or its not.   
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Torval said:
    The only shattered dream is Derek's dream of being relevant.
    Derek is kinda an asshat, but then so is Chris.  Well matched actually.
    One is an asshat that has made some good games. The other, not so much. Actually not at all.
    He made a good game 20 odd years ago when he worked for "the evil suits". He has yet to release a completed game so far with either of his 2 game companies.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Atlan99 said:
    "Shattered Dreams"

Cry me a river, lol
    I can see how you got an Epic rating with such quality posts.
    Yup, I got an epic rating because I have both a sense of humour and the ability to never take things too seriously. Events in the game industry are not of world-changing significance... :D

Exactly, if the game never releases it is nothing.  Just brush the deadwood aside and keep moving forward!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Atlan99 said:
    Maurgrim said:
    The game will get released that I'm sure about, but It wont come even close to that dream list that Chris keeps adding on.
    I'm 50/50 at his point. Things don't look good at all. If enough players decided to demand refunds it would force CIG to file for bankruptcy.

How much money have you put into this game?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    Remember when Smart predicted they would be bankrupt and had stopped production by January or February of this year revised from an early failure date? It never happened. It looks like Not-So-Smart is a over a year behind schedule in his trumped up failure campaign. His followers apparently still suckle at the teat of manufactured pandemonium.

That gives me an idea. He could be the new Minister of Gaming in our new sovereign overlords cabinet.
    I think it is very easy and lazy to dismiss everything he says just because he is Derek Smart. If you actually read stuff like the 20 year old feud article or some of his posts you might notice that he has some very valid points. This instant dismissal is just a cop out for those that don't want criticism.

I think CR is a first class A hole, I also think DS is a first class A hole. But one gets worshipped for something he did ages ago (a bit like Richard Garriot actually, and look at his awesome new game) and the other keeps getting crucified over and over again. I don't get the attitude, both are most unpleasant men, however, one is asking for my money to support his wildest dream selling it as something he can actually achieve, the other one is just annoying. I know which one can cause the most harm, and probably will. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Another redundant post based upon a blog by a man that can't produce and deliver his own games. Not even going to go any further.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gruug said:
    Another redundant post based upon a blog by a man that can't produce and deliver his own games. Not even going to go any further.

Its really more like the old Tupac and Biggie rivalry.
    Indeed, both were idiots and both were just as right or wrong as the other. Here everybody is cheering for Tupac and booing Biggie. And well, your examples both got shot fatally, hmmmm, you might be unto something here.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Isn't this the guy that said Star Marine was never going to be a thing? He might have a few legit points (most of which he parrots from actual backers..., yet he always seems to be wrong about the important things. What big thing has he ever got right (honest question)? That's discounting his more wild assumptions as Torval was pointing out above. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Kefo said:
    Torval said:
    The only shattered dream is Derek's dream of being relevant.
    Derek is kinda an asshat, but then so is Chris.  Well matched actually.
    One is an asshat that has made some good games. The other, not so much. Actually not at all.
    He made a good game 20 odd years ago when he worked for "the evil suits". He has yet to release a completed game so far with either of his 2 game companies.
    Every new addition seems to be pretty good thus far, judging based on their released videos (I haven't tried any of those free fly things I doubt my current rig would handle it), the new one looks especially solid as far as space sims go. I was also fond of the tidbits shown of missions,Vo/conversations, etc...  As much as this team gets lambasted (maybe rightfully so in some cases), they have been turning out some impressive content. It looks buggy sure, but it's obvious it's not done yet. 

This is exactly why I've kept an open mind, buying into one narrative or the other long ago would have been silly IMO. It's the substance that matters not the drama... 

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Distopia said:
    Isn't this the guy that said Star Marine was never going to be a thing? He might have a few legit points (most of which he parrots from actual backers..., yet he always seems to be wrong about the important things. What big thing has he ever got right (honest question)? That's discounting his more wild assumptions as Torval was pointing out above. 
    If you replace "was never going to be a thing?" with "was coming within weeks?" this post still makes sense for the other side...
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Gruug said:

The irony is strong in this post 
    frostymug said:
    Distopia said:
    If you replace "was never going to be a thing?" with "was coming within weeks?" this post still makes sense for the other side...
    What I see DS doing there is using a setback to paint his own narrative, he was saying this stuff wouldn't be possible. And he used missteps such as massive delays in certain features (which isn't all that out of the ordinary) to aid him in doing that, as their absence helped to shape the story he was spinning. When what he says doesn't come to pass, he shifts focus to something else, this type of crap is common in politics...

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    edited December 2016
    Hey Atlan99 yo trust what Derek Smart has to say? Are you seriously that gullible? Can you name 1 successful game that he has made? No? That's because he has never made a single video game for either console or computer that is memorable. And now here he is thinking he should be able to dictate how someone(the same someone who made the successful Wing Commander Video Game Franchise) should make a video game. I serious do not care how far behind an MMORPG is as long as it doesn't come out as crappy as Vanguard Saga of Heroes or Wizardry Online was. Nor do I want a repeat of Star Wars Galaxies NGE patch either.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    akiira69 said:
    ... Can you name 1 successful game that he has made? No? That's because he has never made a single video game for either console or computer that is memorable...
    That's not true !

Derek Smart made Battlecruiser 3000AD, which made him absolutely famous !

According to Wikipedia, that game "generated one of the longest and largest flame wars in the history of Usenet". Every gamer who was active in the 90's knew about Battlecruiser 3000AD (if only to avoid it).
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Whenever interest in Star Citizen wanes one of these threads pop up to start the fires going again.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    kitarad said:
    Whenever interest in Star Citizen wanes
    The interest in Star Citizen waned so much that last month they achived a new record in most money earned  per month in the SC crowdfunding campaign with  7,751,061 dollars.

Have fun 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2016
    Erillion said:
    kitarad said:
    Whenever interest in Star Citizen wanes
    The interest in Star Citizen waned so much that last month they achived a new record in most money earned  per month in the SC crowdfunding campaign with  7,751,061 dollars.
    To be fair to kitarad, interest in Star Citizen had really waned since then and they had only earned about $650 thousand between Dec. 1st and Dec. 16th.

Then this thread popped up and they suddenly earned more than $300 thousand in a single day on Dec. 17th.

So even if the events might have been unrelated, this thread did coincide with huge boost in Star Citizen's sales.

Source for my numbers: 
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Im still waiting for the announcement: Thank all for your generous donations....We have decided to buy an island in the Pacific instead of finishing the game...Thank you for making our dreams come true!
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Vrika said:

Then this thread popped up and they suddenly earned more than $300 thousand in a single day on Dec. 17th.
    Or it had absolutely nothing to do with this thread and was a result of the holiday livestream on the 16th and/or the X-Mas Holiday Sale that started 2 days ago.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:

Or it had absolutely nothing to do with this thread and was a result of the holiday livestream on the 16th and/or the X-Mas Holiday Sale that started 2 days ago.

Have fun
    Awww man, now you've ruined a perfectly good conspiracy theory ! :D
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2016
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:

I agree with you that this thread is unlikely to affect Star Citizen's sales at all. This forum and this thread are not that important.

But large events in Star Citizen might cause both sales spikes, and increase in Star Citizen hate threads. Even if there is no causality between those two, I don't think we should dismiss the possibility that there's correlation.

Vrika said:
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:

I agree with you that this thread is unlikely to affect Star Citizen's sales at all. This forum and this thread are not that important.

But large events in Star Citizen might cause both sales spikes, and increase in Star Citizen hate threads. Even if there is no causality between those two, I don't think we should dismiss the possibility that there's correlation.
    Indeed, never settle for a straightforward explanation when there's the possibility of cooking up a really convoluted alternative theory...
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    There werent any 'large events' in SC but there were some epic sales. Cash only please, no store credit.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I wish my photoshop skills were more convincing. It would make a great story though.