Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I payed for this game 15 years ago, will I have to pay again in order to play?

2»

Comments

• hithere236hithere236 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    pretty sure you've made about 40$ in 15 years, especially if you can afford a computer to run this game in the first place
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    This is a completely different game, with the same name. So yes, you have to pay. I get that it was created from the failed title that launched ages ago, but don't expect free things when it's basically a complete reboot of the IP and a completely remade game on a new engine. That's just asinine.
    Exactly. That's like someone refusing to pay for the new Tomb Rider reboot because he paid for the original game 2 decades ago.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Now if my memory banks serve me correctly DnL or (Settlers of Ganareth) for early victims like me who were conned by NP3 and were stupid enough to buy into this so called fantastical realm,which in turn turned out to be a complete cluster fuck of epic proportions which make Mr Smarts Line of Defence a coding masterpiece by comparison,yep it was that bad !  :(

So bad when a patch launched it would break the game,until a valiant member of the community fixed the sodding launcher which the brain dead devs screwed up with each new build,one bug which was way fun was if you cast a certain spell as a necro you took the whole game down as it was one world server based,fun times !

Now Snail Games actually came in to help develop and revamp the graphics,at that time Snail were just making headway in the Chinese market,now of course they are massive their biggest Western titles being 
    Age of Wushu and Voyage Century.

These guys are not scammers unlike NP3 they have put a shit load of effort into this which will be imo their biggest Western launch yet,fingers crossed they have expunged any trace of old DnL from the new engine as well.  =)

p>
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Just the name is the same not the game, new developers new publisher, yes you will have to buy this game unless you can get the old developers to chip in and by you a copy of a game they didn't make.
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Did the developers of the current DnL pay the old developers for rights to the IP?  If so--and I am no lawyer so take this with a grain of salt--you probably do have some claim to the current version.
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    This is a completely different game, with the same name. So yes, you have to pay. I get that it was created from the failed title that launched ages ago, but don't expect free things when it's basically a complete reboot of the IP and a completely remade game on a new engine. That's just asinine.
    Exactly. That's like someone refusing to pay for the new Tomb Rider reboot because he paid for the original game 2 decades ago.
    the raging managing editor is at it again. I had to quote the quote bc his asnine remark was removed so quickly without an apology. You answered his question in your first 2 sentences. Your third addition makes you look like an idiot. I get that the baby might be making you angry.. but like we tell donald trump, just dont get online.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    the raging managing editor is at it again. I had to quote the quote bc his asnine remark was removed so quickly without an apology. You answered his question in your first 2 sentences. Your third addition makes you look like an idiot. I get that the baby might be making you angry.. but like we tell donald trump, just dont get online.

Hmm, still looks like it's there to me and has no edit stamp. Not really quite sure what your point is here but I'm sure @BillMurphy won't get tired of winning anytime soon ;)
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    gone on my screen. Regardless, thats not winning. Its one of the reasons this site has been bleeding users for past 5 years.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is not brand new,not even close.It is the same game with imo maybe 10% work done to it.
    I am too lazy to look but if i remember this owner was an investor on the original.Ok so i looked lol,Snail was hired to do additional graphics work.
    This is pretty much exactly what i have noticed,it looks like the same game but with added graphics.So yeah perhaps Snail was owed money and that is likely how they came about running this game now.

I will say straight up that anyone thinking they are getting a triple A game is dreaming,however it might be decent and playable but nothing i personally want to invest time in.
    As to press,c'mon,there is no such thing as PRESS,every single entity is nothing more than money mongers,they show up if there is to be some profits in it for them.So like IGN or mmorpg will send out their lackey's to PRETEND they are interested to try and stir up some business or DnL will have their people contact the websites to come out and give their game some props for a promise to spend money advertising on their sites.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited March 2017
    H0urg1ass said:
    Finally found something after 10 minutes of digging online.  It's amazing how the newer title has buried the older game in the search engine results.

According to Wikipedia:  

MMORPG.com gave the game a 4 out of 10, saying that it "offers a degree of freedom that is rare in online games" but "the game in its current state is broken, full of bugs and does not have half of what was promised"

I have played the original DnL, and that was about it. Amazing freedom but lots of bugs. You could go anywhere you put your eye on. You could fly, glide, sky dive, snow board. Pretty interesting concept. They also had weather changes and seasons, wich is not common even today.

But as everybody says it was very very buggy. I remember we used to depend a lot on pets for extra power but they used to die easy if you were not careful, and it used to take quite some time to find and tame good pets. That was a bit annoying.

The IP belonged to a french company if I remember correctly. I remember the theme song, was nice.

It was a bold project that time, didn't work. The new one looks pretty bold as well, I really hope they deliver what they are supposed to this time. I'd like to see that, and play.
  • naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909
    I am one of the pioneer scammed guys, and I was wondering the same thing... well the company is the same "Snail" (the name is probably fitting) and the Dark and Light Logo is even the same.
    Oh and they still owe me a map. :proud:
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    You get it or you don't. If a guy owes you money, you can't knock at the door of the house he used to live at and ask the new owner for what you are due. 
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited March 2017
    Well, at least this second attempt looks so terrible that even if you got it free as part of your first pledge, you're still in the same boat with a failed game attempt.
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    StarI said:
    As per title.

Maybe give it a wave if you were a scammed settler yourself o/
    7.25/10

I gave you an additional .5 for the quality posters you managed to pull into the thread but deducted .25 because you failed to continue engaging your audience. 

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Nepheth said:
    This game has nothing to do with the old Dark and Light besides the name. Everything is different including the genre and the company behind it. So yes you have pay again.
    Thank God mmo's are dead.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    naldric said:
    I am one of the pioneer scammed guys, and I was wondering the same thing... well the company is the same "Snail" (the name is probably fitting) and the Dark and Light Logo is even the same.
    Oh and they still owe me a map. :proud:
    They don't owe you a map any more.

If someone leaves a dept unpaid or a delivery unmade you've got to complain within certain time after the delivery was supposed to be made. After that the dept is considered obsolete because of your inaction and the debtor doesn't need to pay you any more.

The time for complaining is years, but it's not decades.