Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So 2.6 due for release tomorrow...

VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
Think they'll manage it?

I've given up hope they will release v3.0 this year despite CR intimating they would.

Whats everyones feeling on this (2.6 not 3.0 I get the feeling that was now an extreme pipe dream)?
“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
― Terry PratchettMaking Money

Comments

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    If you round 2.6 you get 3...maths might help them here as it doesnt look like anything else will.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    They will release it regardless how buggy and badly it might play. Hell it could wipe 20% of people's hard drives with a horrible bug and they prob would still release to say they are keeping with their schedule
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Kefo said:
    They will release it regardless how buggy and badly it might play. Hell it could wipe 20% of people's hard drives with a horrible bug and they prob would still release to say they are keeping with their schedule
    That's a whole great big pile of negativity.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    goboygo said:
    Kefo said:
    That's a whole great big pile of negativity.
    Just my opinion on how I see things :)
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    well... FAIL!

Not going to say more as it's pointless
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Kefo said:
    Give them a break, they've been busy adding 20 new ships on the Store.
    They aim to reach the new $200 Million stretch target, by end of January.
    Chris needs a new Private Jet for his daily commute from his home to Las Vegas.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    So did it work or not?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2016
    It's live on PTU both 2.6 and Spectrum; play around Star Marine here mostly.

In terms of performance 2.6 is quite good, considering the performance of Crusader we've been used to, finally FPS combat without massive frame drops!

Xodic said:
    but yet you have to pay a subscription to play test versions on the PTU...
    What a cheap lie; I always was invited to the 1st wave every single PTU, neither sub neither big spender. Subscribers were never invited to the first wave either. ;)
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Sure! 2.6 now! Then 0.1 every year! So you will have 3.0 in 2020 !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited December 2016
    Xodic said:
    Is it a lie? I don't know, but there are people getting access immediately after paying the $10 subscription fee on the forums at this very moment.
    Just checked that and yes you're right the Subs are able to convert their accounts to the PTU on this one; meh they had to give in to the subs that do not bug-report or anything didn't they lol
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    MaxBacon said:
    Xodic said:
    Is it a lie? I don't know, but there are people getting access immediately after paying the $10 subscription fee on the forums at this very moment.
    Just checked that and yes you're right the Subs are able to convert their accounts to the PTU on this one; meh they had to give in to the subs that do not bug-report or anything didn't they lol
    So!

Now they sell subs to a minuscule alpha test ? What's next ? Actually lol! You never know with those guys! 

Wait! I have an idea! P2P ! No .. not that! I mean Pay 2 Post ( on their forums ) ...

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited December 2016
    IceAge said:
    Now they sell subs to a minuscule alpha test ? What's next ? Actually lol! You never know with those guys! 

Wait! I have an idea! P2P ! No .. not that! I mean Pay 2 Post ( on their forums ) ...
    They are not selling it to the alpha test, they are just allowing who is and wants to join to do so. But people can't wait can they; gotta pay dem dollars for headstarts!

If you're up to pay to crash frequently and download massive updates almost every day... for some days until it goes live that's up to your personal preference really. I know I wouldn't do that lol
    edited December 2016
    Xodic said:
    But I can understand why they do the pre-test server, because If the patch is FUBAR, then everyone is screwed until it's fixed.
    Whelp! I'm playing it. Actually enjoying playing FPS for the first time without massive frame drops or constant network related issues. It's "screwedly" better!
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>>> It is pretty ridiculous rewarding subscribers with early access to a patch of an early access alpha stage for a game that is buy for early access. >>>

You may not believe it but many (voluntary !) subscribers ARE very active playtesters. Maybe not quite on the level of the Evocati due to time constraints, but contributing their time and bug reports nonetheless.

And no one is forced to pay ANY subscription. Its voluntary.

If you want to see the newest builds even earlier than the subscribers ... send in a lot of high quality bug reports. Subscription or not, you will be soon added to the "1st wave" testers or even Evocati.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I don't think it has anything to do with people feeling "forced" to pay. They simply dislike the idea that CIG are monetising people's desire to play.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I don't think it has anything to do with people feeling "forced" to pay. They simply dislike the idea that CIG are monetising people's desire to play.

Most subscribers have been subscribers for years before the option to be first wave testers has even been added. And subscription always was voluntary - intended to deliver more content about the development of the game to the community.

So access to the most recent builds was most often NOT the reason why people decided to voluntarily be a subscriber. It is an extra bonus added later, but nothing more.

Again .. if people want to have access to the newest builds even earlier than the subscribers, there is a clear way to do it without being a subscriber. Submit many bug reports of high quality.

Have fun
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

You mean some people dislike CIG's monetization methods ? Others seem to be quite happy to pay for early access... or even early access to the Early Access ! 

The only really amazing thing is that there always seem to be players who'll pay for Early Access. Of course, they are followed by a wave of players who are "forced" to pay for EA so that they don't become "disadvantaged"... :D
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited December 2016
    Haven't been in this forum for years. I see Erillion is still playing SC on forum and CIG is still selling jpeg ships. LMFAO Life would be boring without things like this. :)

... oh we have 2.6... already? It gets even better after a few months we will have 2.7!!! and then 2.8 ...2.9... 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Haven't been in this forum for years. I see Erillion is still playing SC on forum and CIG is still selling jpeg ships. LMFAO Life would be boring without things like this. :)

... oh we have 2.6... already? It gets even better after a few months we will have 2.7!!! and then 2.8 ...2.9... 
    Yeah, MMO's are like that.

SWTOR started development in 2006. Imagine if they'd announced it with great fanfare, and then continued to give monthly progress updates for the next 6 years... yaaaawn...

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    So what is included in this 2.6? Do they even have a persistent universe yet? Or the same thing as before, fly around kill pirates ect?

MurderHerd

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    2.6 is up and running on the PTU.  We just got done playing for about an hour.   It's still a little buggy, but all in all - it was good fun.  If you're having issues downloading it - have patience - there are lots of people trying to download at once. 
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Xodic said:
    You can't play 2.6 yet unless you have PTU access. Which is weird, because it's already early access Alpha, but yet you have to pay a subscription to play test versions on the PTU...

Judging by RSI forums, 2.6 is broken and unplayable.
    I'm not a subscriber and I have access.  It is a little buggy, but it is quite playable. 
    So what is included in this 2.6? Do they even have a persistent universe yet? Or the same thing as before, fly around kill pirates ect?
    2.6 is mostly not about the Universe release, in one side is FPS with Star Marine, the other is the whole push on improving the Flight Model/Combat with Arena Commander, so that is where the testing is focused.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    MaxBacon said:
    2.6 is mostly not about the Universe release, in one side is FPS with Star Marine, the other is the whole push on improving the Flight Model/Combat with Arena Commander, so that is where the testing is focused.
    But they have had PG planets and the landing down for almost 6 months now.  Maybe they exaggerated how far along that progress is.  I mean once you have PG down it just takes pressing a few buttons and planets are created.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited December 2016
    filmoret said:
    But they have had PG planets and the landing down for almost 6 months now.  Maybe they exaggerated how far along that progress is.  I mean once you have PG down it just takes pressing a few buttons and planets are created.
    That's not 2.6, that's 3.0. As for PG notice that they do are artist-driven, they are the ones who design the planet's contents (from biomes to buildings) so it wouldn't be something like NMS or ED in terms of work-load. 

Seeing how PG is going I wouldn't think at all that would be any blocker for 3.0 to release, stuff like rewriting the game's netcode necessary for the full solar system exploration, that yeah most certainly.