Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is ESO the best singleplayer MMORPG out there?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
I decided to resubscribe yesterday to ESO (so I'm subbed to Daybreak and ESO now). I heard one tamriel makes the game like a MMORPG version of Elder Scrolls, so I wanted to try it.

And after playing for a day, I came to the conclusion that ESO is by FAR the best singleplayer MMORPG experience out there. It reminds me so much of Skyrim when I played it on the Xbox, but done even better. The world is massive compared to Skyrim (skyrim feels so tiny after playing ESO, Skyrim now reminds me of a tiny themepark)...so much to do, so much more content than Skyrim ever had.

Sure SWTOR may be better with the story, but it isn't a very good MMORPG. Plus The Secret World does the story vastly better than anything Bioware can throw up. But, ESO not only does a decent story (not the best, not the worst)...but its world is incredible since One Tamriel. You can literally go anywhere, do anything, no matter what level you are. Its like playing a massive version of Skyrim. Its actually becoming an incredibly immersive experience.

Does anyone else agree, since One Tamriel that ESO is the best singleplayer MMORPG out there? Its like playing Skyrim, but times 1000. Its so much more massive and so much more to do than Skyrim ever could have. They did an amazing job with ESO and One tamriel.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2016
    Also, I do know there are multiplayer aspects (the cyrodil PvP I haven't got to yet, but its supposed to be AMAZING, better than guild wars 2 server vs server thing)

But, if you play it as a singleplayer MMORPG, like an Elder Scrolls is supposed to be. And just do PvP stuff in cyrodil for multiplayer. There is not an MMORPG out there that is anywhere near a Skyrim game for singleplayer.

But now since One Tamriel is out, you can literally play it like a HUGE titan size upgrade to Skyrim. Not even the next elder scrolls game will be as massive as ESO is. On top of that, you can do PvP as well for the multiplayer stuff.

By far the best elder scrolls experience I ever had. 
    Post edited by TheScavenger on

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    OMG yes!   You are SO right!   ESO is by far the best single player MMORPG and best multi player MMORPG... uh... best MMORPG ever!

Sz  :)
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Gorwe said:
    No, that title goes to either SWTOR or TSW. Hell, even Guild Wars 1 are better at this than ESO. Maybe even EQ 2 with mercs lol. But it's not bad by any stretch of imagination, that I agree.

edit: maybe I don't like ESO because I don't like Skyrim? Imo, Skyrim's one of the worst TES games that's popular because of...reasons. Will never understand what people see in it. But then again, I come from BG / PS:T / Morrowind lineage, so...I've standards.
    I didn't find SWTOR to be very good compared to TSW. But like you don't like Skyrim, I don't like Bioware games at all for most part (Mass Effect 1 is epic though, and their next Mass Effect game looks like it may be good). 

TSW though was really unique, based on lore not done in an MMO. Great voice acting, great story and just a great atmosphere. The world isn't nearly as immersive or fun to be in (besides the looks) compared to ESO though. My favorite game in history is by far Skyrim, and ESO is like Skyrim but vastly more things to do...so for Bethesda fans, ESO should be great for them.

Granted, modded Skyrim is supposed to be really epic too. I only played it on Xbox. But I doubt even a modded Skyrim can come to the near size of ESO game world, and all the content/stuff to do. 

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    It's a very good mmorpg, and it can be enjoyed solo quite a lot as well. Far superior to swtor gameplay and storywise in my opinion.
    Some of the few things I'd like to see improved are the crime system (adding some pvp to the mix would make it a lot more fun and exciting) and making the game a little bit more sandboxy.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited December 2016
    Gorwe said:
    No, that title goes to either SWTOR or TSW. Hell, even Guild Wars 1 are better at this than ESO. Maybe even EQ 2 with mercs lol. But it's not bad by any stretch of imagination, that I agree.

edit: maybe I don't like ESO because I don't like Skyrim? Imo, Skyrim's one of the worst TES games that's popular because of...reasons. Will never understand what people see in it. But then again, I come from BG / PS:T / Morrowind lineage, so...I've standards.
    I didn't find SWTOR to be very good compared to TSW. But like you don't like Skyrim, I don't like Bioware games at all for most part (Mass Effect 1 is epic though, and their next Mass Effect game looks like it may be good). 

TSW though was really unique, based on lore not done in an MMO. Great voice acting, great story and just a great atmosphere. The world isn't nearly as immersive or fun to be in (besides the looks) compared to ESO though. My favorite game in history is by far Skyrim, and ESO is like Skyrim but vastly more things to do...so for Bethesda fans, ESO should be great for them.

Granted, modded Skyrim is supposed to be really epic too. I only played it on Xbox. But I doubt even a modded Skyrim can come to the near size of ESO game world, and all the content/stuff to do. 
    Come back when you've played a fully maxed modded Skyrim on PC. And give a full unbiased conclusion.

If at all: this thread looks like a very biased "OMG TESO IS THE BEST THING EVAH!" thread with 99.999% assumptions.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Single player and MMO are mutually exclusive.....

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I think TSW has the best storytelling.

ESO has been fun. But, there is a "you're not in my guild and therefore, I will not talk to you or invite you to our group", vibe going on at times (unless they need a spot filled, but don't expect them to talk to you).

Outside dolmen grinds, and pvp zergs, it's hard to pug group content.

1. If you need gear crafted, join a Traders Guild (which you will need for the following two).
    2. If you need group content, join a Raiding Guild.
    3. If you need organized pvp, join a PVP Guild.

While that makes sense to most people, I don't like joining guilds. 

Therefore, it's only a single player game if that's what your goals dictate.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    botrytis said:
    You think you have a good truck? Yeah well drive this souped-up Austin Mini and then tell me just how good your truck is :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    How can a 'single player mmorpg' ever be 'good'?
    deniter said:
    How can a 'single player mmorpg' ever be 'good'?
    In the same way that some sex toys are better than others :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    LOL
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited December 2016
    Gorwe said:

"standards"? Ok well anyway ...

I love Skyrim (and morrowind for that matter) but I can't play Elder Scrolls Online for any great length time. I can play Skyrim all day. They just aren't the same type of game.

Though Morrowind is my favorite do a search on Youtube for why skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game (it's not depending on taste) and you'll find a video indicating some of the merits which are better than earlier Elder Scrolls games. Each Elder Scrolls game has it's strengths and weaknesses.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Gorwe said:

I'd say SWTOR is the best co-op MMORPG experience. 

As for Skyrim, I couldn't care less if it's popular, it's freedoms much like Morrowind set it apart from most RPGs. I'm not as much a fan of it's setting, as the norse thing isn't nearly as interesting as morrowind's alien mix of sci-fi like fanatsy, I also prefer Morrowind and Oblivion's character building systems. Aside from those factors though, I find Skyrim's general gameplay to be much improved over the older installments. Especially in areas like crafting, Combat, overall world layout/design etc...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Things ESO does well:

Character Building.  There is a LOT of freedom here.  You can even build a magic based rogue into a tank.  Far more player choice than most games out there.  

Quest storytelling.  SWTOR works for the overall plotlines.  But the day to day questing?  The way the dialog is handled rips you out of the games.  ESO manages to be more immersive.  And the mini storylines are often very well done and give you moral choices that may ultimately be meaningless but have more weight than their swtor counterparts because the characters just seem more real (to me anyway)

Lore.  This goes hand in hand with the quest storytelling, but the ES lore is alive and well in this game and makes exploring the world fantastic for that sort of things.  These things are all ES series strongpoints making their way in

Combat.  I dont like combat in Skyrim.  Its awfully basic, and there is the OPness of archery.  ESO is maybe the best implementation of action combat in an MMORPG.  I do think the skill slots are a little to restrictive though.  Should be 8-10 slots, not 6, per weapon.  This is NOT a console limitation either, no reason they couldnt use LB+x type combos to expand things

Couch playability.  One of the few MMOs that plays well on a controller (and the only one that plays well on both controller and PC that I know of)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:

"standards"? Ok well anyway ...

I love Skyrim (and morrowind for that matter) but I can't play Elder Scrolls Online for any great length time. I can play Skyrim all day. They just aren't the same type of game.

Though Morrowind is my favorite do a search on Youtube for why skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game (it's not depending on taste) and you'll find a video indicating some of the merits which are better than earlier Elder Scrolls games. Each Elder Scrolls game has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Of course it does. And it didn't mean that Skyrim was (necessarily) a class lower than Morrowind, but when comparing to Infinity Engine and such...it shows its true face. It's a simple Action Adventure that is set in an Open World and can be modded to the max. It's really not that much of an RPG. I mean, the main enemy is a DRAGON and if we follow the rule of "a story's as good as its villain is"...you know. Ans Story is a B.I.G. part of any RPG. And Morrowind's very tangled, detailed and minute story where basically nobody is innocent and everyone's gray(how charming...remind me the colour of Dunmer again. Oh and the Ashlands and such...) or darker is in fact >> than the story of Skyrim. ( In fact, I'd argue that Dagoth's the most innocent one lol )

...and in Skyrim we have invading Dragons. Yes, it's more E.P.1.X! , but at what cost?
    I have to fully disagree, you're comparing a crpg system, that is largely based on rulesets, vs a  game that is based on assuming a persona fully. Both are RPGs, just different approaches. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
     Single Player MMORPG.  Why even bother adding net code in the first place? We've moved past irony, way past the sublime and are now firmly entrenched in the rediculous.

A Single Player MMORPG. My head is about to explode.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    It's probably up there as one of the best to play when I want to solo play in a virtual world.

I still think SWG is the best for solo play in a virtual world just for the sheer amount of different things you could do.

PvE still has along way to go to become as good as single player games. If I want to PvE, I'll play a single player game anyway as they do it a lot better.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2016
    I like ESO a lot but i think it's far from the best "single player" anything, even "multiplayer" anything either. MMOS (including ESO) are missing many quality of life features that are very noticeable in a game you could consider best in any category.

-Snow and weather don't affect gameplay.
    -Runecraft only makes weapon buffs, no consumable spell scrolls(one time use spells/buffs).
    -Rain is not dynamic and doesn't affect the environment.
    -Elements don't affect the environment.
    -No synergy between elements and other abilities to create a different spell effect (spell combination).
    -Mounted combat

Gameplay features are very powerful in making or breaking a game IMO.

These and many more QoL features apply to every game (mmo and single player), but they fit perfectly fine in a universe like The Elder Scrolls where all these things make sense.

EDIT: just wanted to add that making the game more dangerous during night time is also a pretty good feature. Dragon's Dogma did it so well that mmos should take note.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    botrytis said:

So what do you think people mean by single player mmoRPG?   THIS IS FOR BOTRYTIS to answer so others shut up until he answers it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    edited December 2016
    I like ESO a lot but i think it's far from the best "single player" anything, even "multiplayer" anything either. MMOS (including ESO) are missing many quality of life features that are very noticeable in a game you could consider best in any category.

-Snow and weather don't affect gameplay.
    -Runecraft only makes weapon buffs, no consumable spell scrolls(one time use spells/buffs).
    -Rain is not dynamic and doesn't affect the environment.
    -Elements don't affect the environment.
    -No synergy between elements and other abilities to create a different spell effect (spell combination).
    -Mounted combat

Gameplay features are very powerful in making or breaking a game IMO.

These and many more QoL features apply to every game (mmo and single player), but they fit perfectly fine in a universe like The Elder Scrolls where all these things make sense.

EDIT: just wanted to add that making the game more dangerous during night time is also a pretty good feature. Dragon's Dogma did it so well that mmos should take note.
    what interesting is you dismiss it as best but place nothing next to it for what is best anything.

yes it is a top contender for best single player MMO, every quest i played did not feel like a random fetch  quest. they felt part of the world an the overall arching plot been fun for me.

i been playing MMO's since EQ 1 camping for hours pulling non stop for small % of xp which you could lose from a bad pull.  trying find the right word to trigger the next line of text for a quest, camping mobs for days for a chance at a quest/item drop.

every MMO since then has been better, even if we do want more bigger better faster. ESO is far from perfect but for what it offers it a solid pick an worth anyone time that want play for the story.

Torval said:
     Single Player MMORPG.  Why even bother adding net code in the first place? We've moved past irony, way past the sublime and are now firmly entrenched in the rediculous.

A Single Player MMORPG. My head is about to explode.
    Because I like gaming alongside others who like the same game. It's a common interest that we share socially.

Because I like the freedom to team up with others if I want to, but I like that I don't need to in order to play. I like that there are different ways I can interact with others, but I'm not stuck with those guys who think we should have bonding sessions during downtime between fights.

Because I appreciate the atmosphere and immersion others add to an environment.

It may be "re"donkulus to you, but it's how I like to play and it seems there are a lot of others who like it too.
    Some people just seem to have a hard time admitting that to a lesser or greater extent, we all solo in MMORPGs. Sure they give us the opportunity to do it with others and that's when they are at their best, but we all solo some of the time and that solo part can be good or bad depending on the game. It's very good in ESO.

So come on guys, it's 2016, We all solo... nothing to be ashamed of.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I agree with the OP on this. To me its the best MMO right now. That update really turned everything around in this game if you loved the single player TES games like i do. It was a really smart move and it should have been this way at launch. Seeing the whole TES game world with any character is amazing. The zones from Morrowind are epic. Game of the year for me.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I vote yes.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2016
    ESO can be played in different ways; and it makes an excellent single player game.

Is it "the best"? Not a question I worry about. No single game will last me a lifetime. Game A will often do something better than game B whilst being worse in other areas. 

Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion, SWTOR, TSW - excellent games as well.
    Some I don't play I "recognise" as being excellent.
    Some I do play that some forum posters probably don't are excellent as well. Civilisations, Crusader Kings II, Age of Empires for example are excellent strategy games. And like films there are some quality oldies as well - DoTT was re-released earlier this year for example. Tentacles!