Developer has no objection to allowing high donating players have GM accounts. Not P2W... LOL

Comments

• VucarVucar Fremont, CAMember UncommonPosts: 311

you know, I thought a  lot about this. I have thought for a long long time, how cool it would be for GM (I se that term kind of loosely) type people who have more power to drift through the world and RP. Kind of like if Darth Vader and Yoda had been PLAYED by a RP'r from the devs in SWG. Maybe they are too iconic but I think you guys should get my drift. It would go a long way in immersion to have people with more power and ability than others.

Life is not equal footing. Virtual life is not equal footing. Playing a role in a game should not be equal footing NECESSARLY.

This comes with an awful lot of caveats and conditions though which are springing to mind as I write so I am coming back to this.

All that being said? If I invested 40K into a game, I'd want some serious benefits and not BS swag.

To Be Cont'd.....

The idea has merit. I think a lot of people hoping to become a Lich or vampire in CoE see themselves as potential "raid bosses", which is definitely a cool idea. 

In those cases, however, the onus is entirely on the player to go into the game and achieve that status, and that it could be done by anyone from King to peasant.  
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,263
    edited December 2016

All that being said? If I invested 40K into a game, I'd want some serious benefits and not BS swag.

Yeah... and that would be the problem right there: games where you CAN spend $40K. It boggles my mind that people don't see how that immediately compromises the integrity of the game.

"But people aren't equal in RL"... who gives a shit. Games are not real life and part of the appeal is precisely that you do have an even shot.

Or at least that was the case before money grubbing, wannabe developers started selling more and more privilege to the fools that don't even realize that their very own high-roller contribution is dooming the project to be a laughable POS.
    Post edited by Iselin on
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONMember EpicPosts: 5,876
    Iselin said:

Yeah... and that would be the problem right there: games where you CAN spend $40K. It boggles my mind that people don't see how that immediately compromises the integrity of the game.

"But people aren't equal in RL"... who gives a shit. Games are not real life and part of the appeal is precisely that you do have an even shot.

Or at least that was the case before money grubbing, wannabe developers started selling more and more privilege to the fools that don't even realize that their very own high-roller contribution is dooming the project to be a laughable POS.

It really shouldn't boggle your mind. What your demonstrating is a bias whereby you're assuming that they are gaining something significant, when there is no indication of what they're actually getting because there is no product to verify that one way or another. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:

It really shouldn't boggle your mind. What your demonstrating is a bias whereby you're assuming that they are gaining something significant, when there is no indication of what they're actually getting because there is no product to verify that one way or another. 

I don't know much about this game. What does it mean when they said they're giving him 5 kingdoms? Are kingdoms something people can attain through gameplay?

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:

WTF does your response have to do with the statement I responded to which was this: "If I invested 40K into a game, I'd want some serious benefits and not BS swag."

Are you stalking me on this thread or is it just that you have designated yourself as protector of all things COE lol?

And nice attitude to have when giving money to a KS project "I'm not getting screwed because the screwing hasn't started yet" :)

Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:

WTF does your response have to do with the statement I responded to which was this: "If I invested 40K into a game, I'd want some serious benefits and not BS swag."

Are you stalking me on this thread or is it just that you have designated yourself as protector of all things COE lol?

And nice attitude to have when giving money to a KS project "I'm not getting screwed because the screwing hasn't started yet" :)

Not stalking at all. I'm just saying that you seem to be having a mind-blowing moment that you can't understand how people cannot see how something compromises the integrity of a game, but you're assuming that by someone donating $40k, the developer is somehow making compromises for those people. They aren't changing the game in any way. So I fail to see how it's compromising the integrity of the game. 

With regards to the other post, he's expressing his expectation in the event that he were to spend that sort of money. I'd probably think the same myself. That's because the majority of us simply aren't in a position to spend $40k on a game. However, there are those who might find value in whatever it is that a person might get for $40k. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:

I don't know much about this game. What does it mean when they said they're giving him 5 kingdoms? Are kingdoms something people can attain through gameplay?

Yeah, it's apparently entirely open after release so anyone can own anything through hard work and what not. How easy/difficult it will be to sack these Kingdoms is completely up in the air, which is the reasoning for my post. Shit, Albion Online is a perfect example. Many people have been finding it impossible to maintain their land after their initial purchase of it because they can't make the in-game currency required fast enough to pay things like taxes, so they're losing it. Granted, it's only in Alpha, but it's a great example of how buying something for real money, in a game, might not be as much of an advantage as you think it is when you originally purchased it. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 7,600
    lol, funny how crowdfunded games became a thing to get away from corp types messing with the vision of a game. Now we just have average Joe's messing up the vision of a game. Like trading one pile of poops for another. Who wants sum?

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,236
    http://massivelyop.com/2016/12/15/massively-ops-best-of-2016-awards-best-mmo-business-model-2016/

Andrew Rossdengarsw): Guild Wars 2’s buy-to-play model especially stands out, as when old content’s cycled out, it’s free to help get new players into the gameworld. It feels the most fair still. I dislike the cash shop that often comes with games using this model, but as long as it sticks to cosmetics over lockboxes, I’m fine with it.

Who knows though. Maybe Chronicles of Elyria’s proposed model will be here next year.

Hahahaha!
    The system where a 40K top donator just buys the available kingdoms and eventually he may end up as GM for his "support" will be the best business model in 2017.

Best business model for sure... just not for the players.
    CrazKanuk said:
     Shit, Albion Online is a perfect example. Many people have been finding it impossible to maintain their land after their initial purchase of it because they can't make the in-game currency required fast enough to pay things like taxes, so they're losing it. Granted, it's only in Alpha, but it's a great example of how buying something for real money, in a game, might not be as much of an advantage as you think it is when you originally purchased it. 
    Yeah that's sustainable. I bet whales are just lining up right now to spend $40K on things that don't give them the advantage they thought they were buying.
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,832
    edited December 2016
    My long involvement with MMORPG's (and life itself) has taught me to take with a grain of salt people's promises and pronouncements of what they intend to do vs what they end up doing.

Additionally, I don't find it reasonable for anyone who actually has $40K to spend on a game to not expect fair value in return. We already know it buys you a Kingship or three, any other benefits can only be inferred and may not exist, but hard to believe there isn't some bonuses as well.

Reminds me of a long in development (perhaps vaporware titles) called Citadel of Sorcery.  They too had some expensive KS/donation program tiers and they provided special access to said downers on the secret "inner workings" of the project and let them provide input.

Likely the $40K buyer has a bit more influence and accessibility to the developers than the average Joe, which can also be a cause for concern.

Oh well, only a year to go until launch, looking forward to clarifying all of this in person Soon™
    Post edited by Kyleran on

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ozerinxozerinx Irvine, CAMember UncommonPosts: 200
    Iselin said:

lol no you don't have a real shot. For people that play 20 hours a day, for people that bot the game to get currency. For the people that are the "Elites" if you are here bitching I am 99% sure this is not you. All games are created unequal without the same shot. Or everyone will clear the same content in the exact same amount of time. 
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
     Shit, Albion Online is a perfect example. Many people have been finding it impossible to maintain their land after their initial purchase of it because they can't make the in-game currency required fast enough to pay things like taxes, so they're losing it. Granted, it's only in Alpha, but it's a great example of how buying something for real money, in a game, might not be as much of an advantage as you think it is when you originally purchased it. 
    Yeah that's sustainable. I bet whales are just lining up right now to spend $40K on things that don't give them the advantage they thought they were buying.

Well, as it stands, they have nothing yet at all, so I'd say that it's a pretty good racket, lol. For the record, I think it was only $10k during their KS campaign, so that must have been a fucking bargain!!! 

So, apparently, they get to design their own crest, and crown and also an event, boss and/or castle. Plus they get their name in the credits as a Design Advisor. So I guess that's a pretty cool perk. Would I do it if I was a Billionaire? Fuck yeah! A Millionaire? meh.... Maybe? As a Thousandaire? Not bloody likely. Although I'm sure there are some thousandaires who would got for it, for sure. I think it's these types of perks that bring out the whales. It's all about seeing their name in the lights!!! Let's not forget that there were 5 $10k packages of Pillars of Eternity sold through their KS and it's a single player game. So there's no advantage other than you got to help design some shit for the game.

All I'm saying is that you don't know what the motivation is of these backers because you aren't one. If one of these backers comes here and says that the developer explicitly told them that they would have a distinct advantage and they would guarantee their reign for X amount of time, THEN maybe we break out the pitch forks. However, all that we know for sure is what's listed on the package and that is that you "Start the game as a King or Queen...". To me that does nothing but point to the inevitability that you won't be there indefinitely. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,236
    ozerinx said:
    Iselin said:

lol no you don't have a real shot. For people that play 20 hours a day, for people that bot the game to get currency. For the people that are the "Elites" if you are here bitching I am 99% sure this is not you. All games are created unequal without the same shot. Or everyone will clear the same content in the exact same amount of time. 
    Maybe it's because of a language barrier but what you just said makes no sense.
    ozerinx said:
    Iselin said:

Yeah good point bringing up botting. I'd go further and bring up hacks and cheat engines... same shit as buying advantage as far as I'm concerned: they ALL compromise the game's integrity.

Only difference is that one type of advantage has the developer's seal of approval and the others don't.

But you're missing the point bringing up the 20 hours a day players and the "elites." They started at the same spot as the 20 hour a month casual and the klutzes. I have no problem with that and it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Players differentiating themselves through commitment or ability? That's exactly how games should be.
    CrazKanuk said:

So, apparently, they get to design their own crest, and crown and also an event, boss and/or castle. Plus they get their name in the credits as a Design Advisor. So I guess that's a pretty cool perk. Would I do it if I was a Billionaire? Fuck yeah! A Millionaire? meh.... Maybe? As a Thousandaire? Not bloody likely. Although I'm sure there are some thousandaires who would got for it, for sure. I think it's these types of perks that bring out the whales. It's all about seeing their name in the lights!!! Let's not forget that there were 5 $10k packages of Pillars of Eternity sold through their KS and it's a single player game. So there's no advantage other than you got to help design some shit for the game.

So you're saying they're doing it for swag? I could have sworn the guy I responded to said he would want more than swag before you butted in.
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

So you're saying they're doing it for swag? I could have sworn the guy I responded to said he would want more than swag before you butted in.

You're assuming that if they gave him some sort of godly powers he would hand over the money. His comment is as much in jest as is our discussion because there is nobody on here who has given them $40k. So there is nobody here who can actually say what the reasoning is, it's all just a bunch of speculation. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited December 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

You're assuming that if they gave him some sort of godly powers he would hand over the money. His comment is as much in jest as is our discussion because there is nobody on here who has given them $40k. So there is nobody here who can actually say what the reasoning is, it's all just a bunch of speculation. 
    So it's unknowable. One motivation is just as likely as any other and any outcome just as likely as any other. Educated guesses don't exist. OK. I think I got where you're coming from... reminds me of this guy:

Post edited by Iselin on
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Nashville, TNMember EpicPosts: 2,974

Iselin said:
    ozerinx said:
    Iselin said:

Yeah good point bringing up botting. I'd go further and bring up hacks and cheat engines... same shit as buying advantage as far as I'm concerned: they ALL compromise the game's integrity.

Only difference is that one type of advantage has the developer's seal of approval and the others don't.

But you're missing the point bringing up the 20 hours a day players and the "elites." They started at the same spot as the 20 hour a month casual and the klutzes. I have no problem with that and it has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Players differentiating themselves through commitment or ability? That's exactly how games should be.
    Some people like to equate time to money in regards to resources spent, but as Iselin denotes here, it's not at all the same.

No one is born with a "silver watch on their wrist" and gets 26 hours a day.  Folks are born with silver spoons and have much more money available to them than others through no fault or effort (or lack thereof) of their own.  Money does not accrue uniformly for everyone, time does.  I cannot sit down at my desk and browse the ESO shop and go "Okay, I'll pay you 2 days for that mount!"

That difference is key.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLMember EpicPosts: 7,522
    To me it's more about just being upfront and OWNING the P2W stuff.  Saying crap like "It's not P2W, but just like real life some people start in a better place than others" is the lamest of cop outs.

Just come out and say "Yeah we allow Pay to King" and "buy yourself a 3 month head start".  I'd disagree with it, but I'd respect it.

PS: In case anybody missed their latest update they once again delayed the store where you can spend all the IP/EP that you previously bought.   Wonder if it was for technical reasons or if it was to make it more/less P2W.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

• ste2000ste2000 londonMember EpicPosts: 6,194
    To me it's more about just being upfront and OWNING the P2W stuff.  Saying crap like "It's not P2W, but just like real life some people start in a better place than others" is the lamest of cop outs.

Yep, having rich people walking all over me like in real life, is exactly what I look for when I play a video-game.
    If people don't have time to play a game they should no play them.
    Games are time sinks, they shouldn't be another opportunity to show your wealth and privileged social status.

• holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 152
    It doesnt really matter if its p2w anyways. This game and its players defy all reasonable expectations and previous mmo experience. Yes, it's that god damn special and the developers are that smug When people log into CoE they are instantly transported to a magical land of perpetual roleplay, this is due to our Soulwtf engine, it works people 4 reals. In our game, a guy with mid 6 figure income who bought the ability and the god given right to be one of our elite dragons isnt viewed with envy and hatred for subjugating gameplay with irl income potential. Come watch as our servile player base cheers with glee as said dragon demigod visits their village and burns it to the ground and tea bags their dead bodies. Likewise, see our massive in game group nuthug as 300 of our vapid players band together to take down the obnoxious alpha dragon who decides "fuck that" and uses our patented GM teleport ability, available on the cash shop for $290.95. You can taste the roleplay feels and old school MMO nostalgia as Jeromy Walsh himself logs in to reveal that it was he who allowed the rebels to know the location of the 'hidden' sheild generator and he has a weird fetish for your friend Asuka being restrained in toilet paper bondage.

Or you can pretend to be a blacksmith. Anything is possible with our Soulfap engine, it's all about the story.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus BaatorMember RarePosts: 2,075
    edited December 2016
    Iselin said:

Or at least that was the case before money grubbing, wannabe developers started selling more and more privilege to the fools that don't even realize that their very own high-roller cont ribution is dooming the project to be a laughable POS.
    Totally agree! It's like people forget the RPG in the mmorpg and what that it means "role playing game".

Generally speaking you "role play" things you cannot or would not in real life so the whole concept is asinine and simply an excuse for money grabbing IMO.

I just don't see how you can effectively "role play" and really get immersed if you real life station/circumstance has such a huge impact as we are seeing here!

Being a king/duke etc etc should have been something you earned in game with the head start etc not something you outright bought into.

It's like the surname thing either your a ward of the state with surname being that of  from that specific ward or having to choose a list of existing surnames.

I mean why can't I make my own house when I start?  I can understand having a strict naming policy so there's no bigbooty69's running around but ...this system really blows nuggets
    Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

case: Coolermaster HAF932
    PSU: Antec EA 750watt
    RAM: 4x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
    Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
    CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
    GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
    cooling: Noctua NH-D14
    storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD

• whilanwhilan Everett, WAMember UncommonPosts: 3,472
    It doesnt really matter if its p2w anyways. This game and its players defy all reasonable expectations and previous mmo experience. Yes, it's that god damn special and the developers are that smug When people log into CoE they are instantly transported to a magical land of perpetual roleplay, this is due to our Soulwtf engine, it works people 4 reals. In our game, a guy with mid 6 figure income who bought the ability and the god given right to be one of our elite dragons isnt viewed with envy and hatred for subjugating gameplay with irl income potential. Come watch as our servile player base cheers with glee as said dragon demigod visits their village and burns it to the ground and tea bags their dead bodies. Likewise, see our massive in game group nuthug as 300 of our vapid players band together to take down the obnoxious alpha dragon who decides "fuck that" and uses our patented GM teleport ability, available on the cash shop for $290.95. You can taste the roleplay feels and old school MMO nostalgia as Jeromy Walsh himself logs in to reveal that it was he who allowed the rebels to know the location of the 'hidden' sheild generator and he has a weird fetish for your friend Asuka being restrained in toilet paper bondage.

Or you can pretend to be a blacksmith. Anything is possible with our Soulfap engine, it's all about the story.
    You were drunk when you wrote this right? Last line in that ongoing paragraph kind of gives it away. It's a game dude. People like it. End of story.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXMember EpicPosts: 5,262
    I have no problem with developers who cater to big spenders getting special privileges. I have no problem because I will never play games that do that. There's a game where people were buying virtual property which supposedly could earn them money in real life over time or they could resell it for profit. Entropia or something like that. If there's a market for these types of games, so rich people can feel special, than so be it. I just have zero interest in it because that is not why I play MMO's.