Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why are they charging $5 a month to post on public forum?

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I'm usually an understanding kinda guy and pro developer, but to me this seems a bit much.   If it's to keep the riff raff, then I can go with it.  However, if it's just for the money, I think it's over the top.
    I doubt its for the money, i mean its not like many people are going to buy forum access. I hear so many people whine about £12 a month sub fee's so i really cant imagine many people paying $5 for this.

• FeyshteyFeyshtey Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Mendel said:
    So, it's free to view.  Fine.  But viewing can generate a response, and they want a monthly fee for that privilege.  That takes the forum based conversation to more of a sermon.  I don't have enough time to waste on their forum, especially if they ask me to pay them to participate.  No thanks.
    It also prevents naysayers who simply arent interested in this kind of game trolling and arguing about every tiny thing simply because they have plenty of time and a lack of courtesy. 

-Feyshtey-

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    A lot of games in development used to have beta forums with exclusive access for beta testers in order to get feedback from just the knowledgeable and committed... you could have called that an echo chamber too.

But a pay to talk forum for a game in development is sort of weird. Maybe it's just a sign of the times with all the trolling, stalking and developer harassment that's all the rage in gaming forums these days.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    It's pretty clear to me...

They just hate freedom!!!  [hunh]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Or they are seeing what people will pay for.

To date they know they can release an unfinished game, call it founder or early access, and then string people along with promises of fixing or finishing only to find the unfinished game is the end all.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    It doesn't bother me to be honest.  It's rare for me to look at any games official forums; most are heavily moderated, waiting to stamp on any hint of negativity towards the game.  The only time I will look at them is when I need info, for example class skills etc.  I rather use third party, neutral sites to discuss game features etc. and read different view points associated with the game.
  • DreadToothDreadTooth Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Sovrath said:
    I suppose the way to look at it is that they need to raise money and the people who are giving the $5 per month are donating money to help the development. With that help they are given a place where they can discuss the game.

So the forum isn't for players, the forum is for patrons.
    Thats how i saw it when i read about it. 
    If i was going to have a forum for my game then i would rather have it filled with posts from people who have some vested interest in the game and didnt just make a free account to troll everyone. 
    Ok, but CAN someone say something negative, critical or anything but positive about the game?

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)
    Dreadtooth on Emerald Ocean

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    How is this any different from selling packs that give access to alpha/beta forums?   Or as others have pointed out, having to pay for a sub to use the forums?   Both have been done.  At this point, they proabably don't want the general public hanging around with little to talk about.  I suppose they could have offered a public forum, but it would be dead because they would have an alpha forum.  
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Simple Answer. Very seldom will a troll pay to troll. A fan will pay to post.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I am having a hard time being able to understand the outrage over the game companies charging for their products and labor. I guess I am some kind of a capitalist greed monger or something. Do some of you people pull up at a drive-thru and yell at the employees for charging for food? 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    Archlyte said:
    I am having a hard time being able to understand the outrage over the game companies charging for their products and labor. I guess I am some kind of a capitalist greed monger or something. Do some of you people pull up at a drive-thru and yell at the employees for charging for food? 

Oh gosh no, I say please and thank you so someone else's attitude doesn't get MY food spit in.

What I do expect, is a public forum on Carls Jr's website that doesn't cost $5 to post on.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

"Dying's the easy way out. You won't catch me dying. They'll have to kill me before I die!"

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Archlyte said:

Oh gosh no, I say please and thank you so someone else's attitude doesn't get MY food spit in.

What I do expect, is a public forum on Carls Jr's website that doesn't cost $5 to post on.

And BOOM goes another terrible analogy, smacked down in its prime by someone using common sense.

Nice work DreadTooth.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Archlyte said:

Expect.

That's all I needed to see. 
    Archlyte said:
    Archlyte said:

Expect.

Cool. I also expect to be able to submit my complaints for free. Sometimes I even submit my praise and thanks, for free. ;)

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

• EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I don't have any interest in this game, but I support their decision on charging to post on their forums. It's pretty easy to manipulate any topic/discussion nowadays and worse: manipulation coming from people that have 0 involvement in the community.

Trolling, posting garbage and even harassment is a hobby nowadays.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2016
    Iselin said:
    A lot of games in development used to have beta forums with exclusive access for beta testers in order to get feedback from just the knowledgeable and committed... you could have called that an echo chamber too.

But a pay to talk forum for a game in development is sort of weird. Maybe it's just a sign of the times with all the trolling, stalking and developer harassment that's all the rage in gaming forums these days.

This.
    I've been in so many Beta's and they usually had a dedicated section for it that wasn't open to the public.

I really don't see what the fuss is about.
    If people want to troll Pantheon, they can do it here for free, and it looks like some of them are doing a pretty good job already.

You guys might not like them for charging $5 to access their Forums, but at least they are not selling nonexistent Spaceships for $1000 each, or Kingdoms for $40K.
    Come on guys, let's put things into perspective.

Archlyte said:
    Archlyte said:

Expect.

Cool. I also expect to be able to submit my complaints for free. Sometimes I even submit my praise and thanks, for free. ;)
    They don't owe you a forum, especially considering the damage that posters are capable of wreaking. There are free forums but even if there weren't it's not a democracy. I think I can commiserate that it is good and nice to allow a forum, but I see no reason that they must have one. So they are gating the forum to try and make sure that posters have a stake of at least a whopping 5$. 

You could skip a happy meal, pay the money and go shout whatever you want for a month. There's the return of the fast food analogy for the reading pleasure of the monkey.
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:

This.
    I've been in so many Beta's and they usually had a dedicated section for it that wasn't open to the public.

If people want to troll Pantheon, they can do it here for free, and it looks like some of them are doing a pretty good job already.

You guys might not like them for charging $5 to access their Forums, but at least they are not selling nonexistent Spaceships for $1000 each, or Kingdoms for $40K.

Well, those people got 'something' for their money. Sorta. LOL

Maybe if they said the $5 will go towards your first monthly sub when the game launches, or you'll get a $5 in-game credit if there is a cash shop. That would go a LONG way toward making the argument of keeping trolls out much more valid, without it, that seems like a lot of hope to be had while there is an equal 50% chance it is just about the $5.

Currently Playing:

Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Puzzle Pirates (PC)

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:

This.

Maybe if they said the $5 will go towards your first monthly sub when the game launches, or you'll get a $5 in-game credit if there is a cash shop. That would go a LONG way toward making the argument of keeping trolls out much more valid, without it, that seems like a lot of hope to be had while there is an equal 50% chance it is just about the $5.

It's a shame Brad and Co didn't link the forum sub to pledge levels.  Allow the sub amount to build up and when it meets the same value of the pledge, the user gains the rewards associated with that pledge level.  With time and depending when the game releases it could be possible to gain the higher reward pledges.  I wouldn't have been tempted to sub with all the mess surrounding the game after the initial kickstarter but if they had a system like this in place now, I may have been tempted to subscribe to their forum.
  • drygindrygin Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Dunno if that's the best way to control the forums to make them exclusive for true fans and avoid trolls.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Buccaneer said:
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:

This.

It's a shame Brad and Co didn't link the forum sub to pledge levels.  Allow the sub amount to build up and when it meets the same value of the pledge, the user gains the rewards associated with that pledge level.  With time and depending when the game releases it could be possible to gain the higher reward pledges.  I wouldn't have been tempted to sub with all the mess surrounding the game after the initial kickstarter but if they had a system like this in place now, I may have been tempted to subscribe to their forum.
    That's actually how it used to work, and I liked it better that way. I was perfectly happy just having a reoccurring $5 sub to the forum knowing it was building into bigger pledge packages. I guess it was just too problematic with the ongoing need to adjust pledge packages as they get more and more people for the different testing phases.

Don't know, but I think they should reconsider it if possible because, while I don't have the money to drop a bigger pledge all at once, I find it easy to part with a couple bucks a month. I imagine a lot of people are the same way and it's likely losing them money.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    ste2000 said:

Yeah lots of hot air......good investment.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    ste2000 said:
    ste2000 said:

Yeah lots of hot air......good investment.
    Maybe for them it depends on where that hot air is blowing I guess xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Dullahan said:
    Buccaneer said:
    ste2000 said:
    Iselin said:

This.

That's actually how it used to work, and I liked it better that way. I was perfectly happy just having a reoccurring $5 sub to the forum knowing it was building into bigger pledge packages. I guess it was just too problematic with the ongoing need to adjust pledge packages as they get more and more people for the different testing phases.

Don't know, but I think they should reconsider it if possible because, while I don't have the money to drop a bigger pledge all at once, I find it easy to part with a couple bucks a month. I imagine a lot of people are the same way and it's likely losing them money.
    I'm in the same boat. I was paying $15 a month to build up my pledge package, but when that stopped counting towards my actual pledge I dropped the $15 I was paying monthly. Since I have a pledge package I have unlimited access to the forums, but if I could continue to pay monthly to increase it I would.
  • FeyshteyFeyshtey Member UncommonPosts: 137
    edited December 2016
    Archlyte said:
    Archlyte said:

Expect.

If you have a complaint, then presumably you bought their product, and you do have a right to complain on their public forum. If, however, you're just an asshat that thinks the color scheme on their building is hideous, you should get a hobby or find a worthwhile crusade, and STFU. 

-Feyshtey-