Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it time for a AAA super hero MMO?

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
edited December 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I feel like a serious AAA super hero MMO would be excellent right about now, there's too many WoW clones, Champions Online and DCUO were not what they were made out to be.

We need something like a CoH 2. :+1:

And yes, I'm aware of the two indie super hero MMOs in development, but I haven't got my hopes up for those, indie MMOs usually end up being a disaster.
When all is said and done, more is always said than done.

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    City of Heroes or something really similar would be epic! Still by far the best super hero game to come out for MMOs.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I wish. The loss of City of Heroes has left a hole in my MMO loving heart that nothing has filled since.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    OhhPaigey said:
    I feel like a serious AAA super hero MMO would be excellent right about now, there's too many WoW clones, Champions Online and DCUO were not what they were made out to be.

And yes, I'm aware of the two indie super hero MMOs in development, but I haven't got my hopes up for those, indie MMOs usually end up being a disaster.

I wish! 

Who misses travel powers?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    DCUO is actually really fun while leveling.  But once you hit max level and gear grind begins, the tedium sets in fast.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    CO and DCUO are still fun and lately both received quite some updates... and "I'm aware of the two indie super hero MMOs in development, ..."  I thought it's three, but maybe I missed something.

Torval said:
    A free form hero mmo, that is free from the standard Marvel/DC IPs, would be cool. It would be a lot more interesting with a grittier twist like Heroes, Jessica Jones and some of the Marvel shows on Netflix, Gotham, Arrow, etc. We have pretty clean hero mmos but TSW is the only thing that is gritty but it's not full on super hero even though you have super powers.
    CO has that (even less ties on the hand than CoH had), both in power selection as in looks/costumes (recently added "escaped prisoner" theme for example can be gritty :wink: ) but I agree, Champions (as IP) was always a tongue-in-cheek version of the genre, and more on the light, comical side than the gritty and dark version.

In TSW you are not a superhero (Danny is the only one seeing you as that, and let's face it, he's a comics-addict teen :wink: ), just an aspect of Gaia, sort of. It's complicated. On the other hand, it sure is gritty...
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    DC universe online is quite the AAA title.
    do you think DC would deal with indi? :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    MikeB said:
    I wish. The loss of City of Heroes has left a hole in my MMO loving heart that nothing has filled since.
    I'm right with you there, Mike. x.x

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited December 2016
    I'd much prefer a well done single player to be honest. A super hero MMO is rather bland without a high production value in the story department, that's why COH always felt hollow to me, same with DC and Champions today. Great character build systems coupled with a lifeless bland world. It was/is jarring. There never felt to be a sense of urgency, no great villain to overcome, no one truly in distress, just random quest after random quest, that was never interesting. (a sandbox would be even worse in that regard)...

Plus the idea of a million heroes/villains running around took away the feeling of being super....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited December 2016
    Have you noticed how superheroes become less significant in an Avengers movie? They even had to drag in Hawkeye's family to make him matter on some level. Because without his family every single person in the audience would've had this thought: if he dies nothing happens!
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Never could get into any of hte super hero MMOs.....Even CoH felt like a mediocre game to me...Just not my thing.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Distopia said:
    I'd much prefer a well done single player to be honest. A super hero MMO is rather bland without a high production value in the story department, that's why COH always felt hollow to me, same with DC and Champions today. Great character build systems coupled with a lifeless bland world. It was/is jarring. There never felt to be a sense of urgency, no great villain to overcome, no one truly in distress, just random quest after random quest, that was never interesting. (a sandbox would be even worse in that regard)...

Plus the idea of a million heroes/villains running around took away the feeling of being super....

That was exactly my disconnect with COH.  It literally was a City of Heroes.  A city where normal civilians appeared to be outnumbered by super heroes by 3 to 1.  A place where normal civilians went to visit as tourist to see if they could get mugged or captured by a super villain.  

That said, the game had some great customization but DCUO does almost as well (possibly better) in that department.  Plus I think the PVP in DCUO is head and shoulders above what COH did.  Even head and shoulders above most action combat MMOs currently as well.  Also I really like how in  DCUO they have a lot of content designed specifically for duos.  Of course that's when I played it several years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if they made that content doable solo now.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    City of Heroes was a fun game. I too would like to see something replace the void that it left.
    --------------------------------------------
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited December 2016
    DMKano said:
    Distopia said:

The pitfall of almost every MMO ever... everyone is the chosen one hero and yet there are neverending infinite respawn bad guys

heh, its such a laughable predicament when you think about it

Which is one reason why I play EVE, the only heroes or villians are the players who do something to be notable for.

Which is why another Super hero MMORPG isn't needed.  Despite the lamentations of COHs greatness, at the time of its closure it was mostly dead.

People seem to forget this and somehow think NC closed down a successful game, when it was clearly on its last legs.

As a fan of virtual worlds I can't agree with a MMORPG full of Superheroes, just came across as silly back then, still does to me know.

OK I guess for.people who play "games" ;)

That said, if we do have another hero game lets make it about flawed anti heroes such as "the Watchmen"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I wanna see a superhero MMO in a fantasy setting, with as little spandex as possible. Something different than what has already been done... I think another run of the mill superhero game would just flop like the others.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Po_gg said:
    CO and DCUO are still fun and lately both received quite some updates... and "I'm aware of the two indie super hero MMOs in development, ..."  I thought it's three, but maybe I missed something.

Torval said:
    A free form hero mmo, that is free from the standard Marvel/DC IPs, would be cool. It would be a lot more interesting with a grittier twist like Heroes, Jessica Jones and some of the Marvel shows on Netflix, Gotham, Arrow, etc. We have pretty clean hero mmos but TSW is the only thing that is gritty but it's not full on super hero even though you have super powers.
    CO has that (even less ties on the hand than CoH had), both in power selection as in looks/costumes (recently added "escaped prisoner" theme for example can be gritty :wink: ) but I agree, Champions (as IP) was always a tongue-in-cheek version of the genre, and more on the light, comical side than the gritty and dark version.

In TSW you are not a superhero (Danny is the only one seeing you as that, and let's face it, he's a comics-addict teen :wink: ), just an aspect of Gaia, sort of. It's complicated. On the other hand, it sure is gritty...
    City of Titans and Valiance Online?
    edited December 2016
    DMKano said:
    So sick of super heros, especially Marvel and DC... so overdone, and mainstreamed to the max

We dont need another hero....
    I could say that about the medieval fantasy theme too, except it's been mainstream and overdone a lot longer.

Only recently have we had an abundance of super hero TV series.

I don't even think it's possible to say that the super hero theme is more played out than the medieval setting has been lol.

I mean I understand your purpose of disagreeing in a lot of these threads, but that comment didn't really make sense imo.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2016
    I cannot even remotely argue that a Triple A super hero game would not be the grand illusion."Styx pun"for those old enough to remember Styx.

I am still waiting for the FIRST one to arrive.I guess since all developer studios just hire old school ,same old same old,we can't expect too much in way of advancing the industry standards.
    We need some new bright young people with creative minds and the willingness to do something great for the industry.I believe all over the world such young minds do exist,it is only a matter of time and the willingness of big pocket books to spend and take risk.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

OhhPaigey said:
    Po_gg said:
    ... and "I'm aware of the two indie super hero MMOs in development, ..."  I thought it's three, but maybe I missed something. [...]
    Heroes and Villains?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    DMKano said:
    Distopia said:

The pitfall of almost every MMO ever... everyone is the chosen one hero and yet there are neverending infinite respawn bad guys

heh, its such a laughable predicament when you think about it

I can be your hero.

Are you onto something or just on something?
    Po_gg said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Po_gg said:
    ... and "I'm aware of the two indie super hero MMOs in development, ..."  I thought it's three, but maybe I missed something. [...]
    Heroes and Villains?

This is why I only consider CoT and Valiance.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yes it need to look as good as ESO.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Distopia said:

I think I'd rather have a single player game like @Distopia.  There really haven't been enough basic super hero games to have really established conventions for superpowers in games yet.  Everything to date feel more like a cheesy rip-off of fantasy game conventions.  And there's got to be a better world model than hoodlums standing on every street corner waiting for a hero to come along and smash them into next week.  I'm tired of a million wanna-be psychedelic Hulk imitators running around, too.  The wonderful character creation tools of superhero games just point out the lack of imagination the players (and designers) have.  Infusing the body with massive doses of mysterious radiation should have all sorts of physical side effects that shape the character's physical body a bit more unpredictably than just allowing Jimmy to choose what he wants to look like.  Comic book origins tend to be accidents, without conscious design.  Sockamagee!  My super power is the H Dial!  (Look it up).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    So sick of super heros, especially Marvel and DC... so overdone, and mainstreamed to the max

We dont need another hero....
    How about a V for Vendetta MMO?

As I see it is anything that stands out from EQ and Wow worth trying but I wasn't really that impressed by CoH. It felt a bit too cheesy for my taste.
    OhhPaigey said:
    Po_gg said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Po_gg said:
    Heroes and Villains?
    This is why I only consider CoT and Valiance.
    Hey, was only speaking about numbers, not quality :lol:
    (and they're still trying, that worths for something)
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    OhhPaigey said:

I would love to see CoH remastered with modern graphics, and have it be the same as it was to play.  A few improvements, like fixing the random mission generator, would be awesome, but overall I really liked CoH just as it was.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!