Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nearly 40 percent of all games on Steam were released this year

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Do games drop off steam?  If so, how long are game on steam?  If they drop and replace 40% per year, this would be kind of meaningless...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    DMKano said:
    too bad that less than 1% are worth even installing
    Even 1% of 4207 games is still a lot.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    For a long time a lot of older games would show their steam release date in the store search or list and only show the actual game release date on their own store page once you clicked to it. At least in the program itself. I'm not certain it still does that as I'm out of town and away from steam. Don't remember any off hand to check if the webpage does that as well. So, depending on exactly where the data was pulled from, it could be misleading.

Also, early access and greenlight flooding the airwaves with a lot of junk. The trend of 8 and 16 bit graphics being cool also doesn't help. Probably a large chunk of half done survival games and RPG Maker games. 297 RPGM games confirmed since it has a store search tag.

Impressive growth, but from my experience it is definitely quantity over quality. There are gems, but you have to look a lot harder.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    It's because everyone and their brother are releasing those stupid pixel games or that game you can make using the Anime studio thing.  They're truly garbage.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The problem with Steam allowing pretty much any two bit developer to sell a game on their service is that the market is now flooded with mostly unplayable games.  

It's like sifting through the local music bin at Wuxtry Records.  99% of it is un-listenable, and unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try it.  The rare gem like Fair to Midland is only found by listening to 50 bad Radiohead knock offs.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    H0urg1ass said:
    The problem with Steam allowing pretty much any two bit developer to sell a game on their service is that the market is now flooded with mostly unplayable games.  

It's like sifting through the local music bin at Wuxtry Records.  99% of it is un-listenable, and unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try it.  The rare gem like Fair to Midland is only found by listening to 50 bad Radiohead knock offs.
    You get an Awesome for Fair to Midland.

Also, I agree
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2016
    I noticed that Steam identifies a lot of old games as new releases when they launch on steam(making them new on steam, but still old on the market). Did Steam Spy take this info into account?

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited December 2016
    people at some point need to stop complaining about the state of the world and look at themselves more objectively. 
    if one can not find a game to play now, the problem is not games.

I have been saying for sometime now that the best years in gaming history have been 2014-2016

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I noticed that Steam identifies a lot of old games as new releases when they launch on steam(making them new on steam, but still old on the market). Did Steam Spy take this info into account?
    are you suggesting that in 2015 and 2016 the majority of the games released on Steam where actually old games? or that its just a few like that

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me