Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats your thoughts on the idea of using real money as ingame money?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
This is just a basic idea and need kinks iron out. But the idea is to use Real World Money as in-game money.

When players create/buy an account they are started off with some of their money converted to its in-game version, on the character. 

Players can trade their ingame currency for trade and services like any other MMO. But ingame money can be exchanged for its real world equivalent. taxes and all.

So in some ways, players can do in-game activities for real world money, such as large gathering of crafting materials, and long crafting process for money. 

the economy would need to be deeper for this to work, but like I said, just a basic idea that need to be iron out.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited November 2016
    Get the hell out of here with this utter rubbish, what is wrong with the world lately. Have you any morals left for milking a world already screwed over by many as it is.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    www.entropiauniverse.com
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I think in game real money economy is just an opportunity for both players and developers waiting to happen.

I heard a conversation about this and I really agreed with it. 
    questions like 'but the pixels dont really have any value'
    'nor does a porche instead of a honda civic, the value is what people attach to it and often its a matter of vanity'

so why not build an account up and be able to sell it? or work on some digital property making it very impressive so that you can sell it for more.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Good luck, i wouldn't touch it with someone else's hands.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    This is just a basic idea and need kinks iron out. But the idea is to use Real World Money as in-game money.

When players create/buy an account they are started off with some of their money converted to its in-game version, on the character. 

Players can trade their ingame currency for trade and services like any other MMO. But ingame money can be exchanged for its real world equivalent. taxes and all.

So in some ways, players can do in-game activities for real world money, such as large gathering of crafting materials, and long crafting process for money. 

the economy would need to be deeper for this to work, but like I said, just a basic idea that need to be iron out.
    Did you read "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

I have to wonder what is the purpose behind even asking/poll about this? It is obviously a really touchy subject already in the gaming world and yet this appears like daddy is paying for a new unity game. I would say how about making a game that actually works for the gaming public instead of looking to source/scrape out those with money to burn and give them a little world out of their jobs they can feel just as big in?
    wyldmagik said:
    I have to wonder what is the purpose behind even asking/poll about this? It is obviously a really touchy subject already in the gaming world and yet this appears like daddy is paying for a new unity game. I would say how about making a game that actually works for the gaming public instead of looking to source/scrape out those with money to burn and give them a little world out of their jobs they can feel just as big in?
    Unity jokes are very 1999. The game engine is now very serious business and a lot of beautiful titles are created on it.

come up to 2016 please

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    wyldmagik said:
    Unity jokes are very 1999. The game engine is now very serious business and a lot of beautiful titles are created on it.

come up to 2016 please
    Yes business indeed right? I also do not at all say there is no good game made with unity. It just screams like a please make this poll/question due to my new idea! type of post. Other than really being hard at what is just a grab and run style short term gaming development these days.
  • CherryNipsCherryNips Member CommonPosts: 4
    SEANMCAD said:
    wyldmagik said:

come up to 2016 please
    Show me some original engines that are made by little rich wanna be game devs please?  Take a look at steam, everything is unity, everything is assets.  Maybe you should re-look at 2016, please.
    SEANMCAD said:
    wyldmagik said:

come up to 2016 please
    Show me some original engines that are made by little rich wanna be game devs please?  Take a look at steam, everything is unity, everything is assets.  Maybe you should re-look at 2016, please.
    dude! Assassin Creed is made on Unity.
    as well as many others dont walk down this rabit hole you are about to get torn apart, trust me.

you have a old understanding of Unity game engine, used to be true, not anymore

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    wyldmagik said:

come up to 2016 please
    as well as many others dont walk down this rabit hole you are about to get torn apart, trust me.

Well, "tear me" apart then.  Assassins creed is made by an actual game dev company.  You aren't reading what I am saying, I did not say Unity was bad, I said these little wanna be devs using Unity is bad.  [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    wyldmagik said:

come up to 2016 please

Well, "tear me" apart then.  Assassins creed is made by an actual game dev company.  You aren't reading what I am saying, I did not say Unity was bad, I said these little wanna be devs using Unity is bad. [mod edit]
    ok this thread is not about Unity but here are just some of the title that are made on Unity
    Assassins Creed
    Cities Skylines
    7 Days to Die
    Kerbal Space Program
    Hitman Sniper
    Subnatutica
    Rust
    The Forest

more over, maybe related to Unity or not but those titles also tend to have CONSIDERABLY better game play then titles made on other engines. It might be because of the engine or just by chance I dont know.

consider yourself ripped. (unless of course you consider The Forest to be some college project of 8 bit pixels)
    Post edited by Vaross on

• heartsofnineheartsofnine Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @CherryNips  So you're saying that it's bad to try and make a video game by spending thousands and maybe millions of dollars to develop it, because it's greedy? 
     B) Robert Clark
  • heartsofnineheartsofnine Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @wyldmagik So if you were given an opportunity to get a job developing a game that millions of people are going to play and you get paid for that, then you wouldn't do it? because that's a touchy subject?

B) Robert Clark
    @wyldmagik So if you were given an opportunity to get a job developing a game that millions of people are going to play and you get paid for that, then you wouldn't do it? because that's a touchy subject?

You might find that developers usually get the bad end of the stick regarding getting paid for things.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    I'm thinking there are some rather large Russian and Sicilian organizations that would love to subscribe to your newsletter. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    wyldmagik said:

You might find that developers usually get the bad end of the stick regarding getting paid for things.
    'It is obviously a really touchy subject already in the gaming world and yet this appears like daddy is paying for a new unity game'

what does that mean and what the fuck does it have to with Unity specifically?

• CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Oh?  Is Second Life still a thing?   Well other than being a red-light district :o

Obviously games and persistent worlds need funding to operate and pay their content creators and engineers but when it becomes all about the money then what makes them so attractive becomes something about as appealing as a diseased crack-whore.
    Cogohi said:
    Oh?  Is Second Life still a thing?   Well other than being a red-light district :o

Obviously games and persistent worlds need funding to operate and pay their content creators and engineers but when it becomes all about the money then what makes them so attractive becomes something about as appealing as a diseased crack-whore.
    just like real life no?

here is the thing.

in real life you pay money to buy land to build shit on it to be impressive and talk about.
    hmmmmm see any connection?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Don't games use their own currency so they won't have to list all the currency standards for all the countries the game plays in ingame?  They just list conversions on a web page.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

SEANMCAD said:
    Cogohi said:

just like real life no?

here is the thing.

in real life you pay money to buy land to build shit on it to be impressive and talk about.
    The connection being, in real life you actually have that piece of land with a title deed.  Show me where the guarantee that these games won't shut down in 2 years time is and I will agree with you.  Otherwise stupid to compare something such as land in real life to a small space online that can and WILL be taken away from you and you cant do shit about it.
    SEANMCAD said:
    Cogohi said:

just like real life no?

here is the thing.

The connection being, in real life you actually have that piece of land with a title deed.  Show me where the guarantee that these games won't shut down in 2 years time is and I will agree with you.  Otherwise stupid to compare something such as land in real life to a small space online that can and WILL be taken away from you and you cant do shit about it.
    first off so what?

so there you are with a deed that cost you $100,000 instead of $1,000 with the main difference being that you feel you are more secure in keeping it when it fact you are only marginally more secure in keeping it, I give you EMINENT DOMAIN 

edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    wyldmagik said:

come up to 2016 please

Well, "tear me" apart then.  Assassins creed is made by an actual game dev company.  You aren't reading what I am saying, I did not say Unity was bad, I said these little wanna be devs using Unity is bad.  [mod edit]
    ok this thread is not about Unity but here are just some of the title that are made on Unity
    Assassins Creed
    Cities Skylines
    7 Days to Die
    Kerbal Space Program
    Hitman Sniper
    Subnatutica
    Rust
    The Forest

more over, maybe related to Unity or not but those titles also tend to have CONSIDERABLY better game play then titles made on other engines. It might be because of the engine or just by chance I dont know.

consider yourself ripped. (unless of course you consider The Forest to be some college project of 8 bit pixels)
    [mod edit]
    But Sean told everyone to stop getting hopes up for other types of games like nomans sky variants due to everyone will get dissapointed as they are all looking the samey type shit. But look out!!! here comes other engines as well that is of late doing the same but its ok!!! It will be fine now even though the process looks identical and just named different. Hypocritical or what.

Sure there are games that use all engines that could be/are well made. But lets just stick to what was said by cherry here and that mass flooding of new games are just modular and relies on wether the developer is any good with his imagination and non greedy visions. Any sort of real money use/grab or forced need to enjoy a "game" <<< game ffs.... right?  should be frowned upon and not allowed in my eyes. The kind of folk that think that is acceptable type of gaming probably find real world gambling fun as well.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Cogohi said:

just like real life no?

here is the thing.

first off so what?

so there you are with a deed that cost you $100,000 instead of $1,000 with the main difference being that you feel you are more secure in keeping it when it fact you are only marginally more secure in keeping it, I give you EMINENT DOMAIN 
    So, you are happier with your hard earned money being in the hands of a developer that can end your little party pretty much whenever he wants rather than in the hands of the government who have processes and obligations to follow if they wish to take a bit of land.

Do you even listen to your own logic here?
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118

Entropia Universe had the same premise. It worked fairly well. I played it extensively for about a year.

The game was free to play, but required about 10$ to get you up and running. A free player had the ability to extract "mana" from animals. This resource was used by higher players, so you could essentially sell it at a market driven rate. Not very profitable, so investing some minimal capital would save you days of animal extracting.

Once you got about 10$, you could either hunt animals or harvest resources. Weapons used ammunition and had decay. Harvesting used "probes", which is basically ammunition. This means the developers had full control over buy-in/reward. You could level up your skills, using more expensive weapons but getting higher rewards.

The whole concept is basically a big casino. I had no issue with that, knowing that's how it is - the game did not try to hide it either. You invest money, then get part of your investment back as loot. It was quite fun, so I did not mind losing some of the money in the process.

I think it's perfectly viable in a PvE game. You have different tiers of content that don't directly influence each other - if a player wants to drop 2000$ on the game, they can do that. If they want to drop 10$, they can also do that, without being completely screwed over. The 2000$ player can be spending 50$ on ammo a day, getting nice drops worth 49$. The 10$ player can be spending 0.5$ on ammo a day, getting starting drops worth 0.4$. If the game has a skill system, you are not really losing any money, as your character is gaining value as you level it up.

The one downside is that on the very low spectrum (no to minimal investment), the game should be very tedious. You can't have free players substantially impacting the game world, if there is real money involved. In a free-to-play game with no real money, the non-payers should be able to do more (in theory).

The other downside is PvP. If it is PvP centric, you might have a pay-to-win issue.