Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are MMOs in a state of quality decline?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
After reading through various threads and discussions, it tells me MMOs may not be exactly dying and going to a niche product...but their quality has quickly declined over the years.

No longer is there innovation like the old days. Now its all about how to make the most money out of a cash shop. No longer are there GM made events, now its all pre-built events done the same year after year. There are no MMOs that TRULY try to be good and innovate. Sure there is Star Citizen and some alpha MMOs and some indie MMOs that try to get back to the good stuff. But, they aren't released yet and Star Citizen is a very long time away, to even know how that will do.

Look at singleplayer games or multiplayer games. Ark Survival is more advanced than most MMOs are today. I talked about it in my AI thread, but Ark has better AI than most MMOs do. Singleplayer and multiplayer games are innovating, getting more people in multiplayer to bigger and better servers. Better technology. Less focus on FORCED cash shops, but sometimes still allow for cosmetics/DLCs/expansions. Singleplayer and multiplayer games have quickly outpaced the quality and content of MMOs.

Is this why MMORPG.com is not active like it used to be? and why so many MMOs in general are just not as hyped up like they used to be. because no one wants to innovate or talk about improving MMOs without calling them whiners or trolls? MMOs are very stagnant in how much they have evolved, yet singleplayer and multiplayer games have advanced greatly.

Even today, we still get MMOs with the same mechanics of WoW. You could say why change what works? But where is the old innovation of older generation MMOs? Where are the epic worlds of Ultima Online, or Dark Age of Camelot, SWG, Asheron's Call? I don't want clones of those games, but each of those games was innovative, unique, never done before.

Today, every MMO feels like I played it before. Yet when I play singleplayer multiplayer games, I see tons of innovation, creativity and advancement of their genres. Sure maybe not every singleplayer or multiplayer game, but far more than any MMO.

And again, of course there are indie MMOs coming out. Crowfall. Star Citizen. Quite a few others. But, they are all in alpha, can't buy them or play them, and if they DO let you test their alpha, its pretty bare bones (at least for Star Citizen). So maybe innovation will come back from these indie MMOs, but time will see.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    edited November 2016
    I don't consider star citizen an mmo. But to me yea, there are not many mmos out there that fit the blueprint of what I'm looking for.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yes because every MMO that is made starts out good and then declines look at World OF Warcraft I used to love it, but Blizzard failed it horrid imo with all the expansions, Constant grinding for gear, (No exchange last season for new season pvp gear if you have it (No Discounts) (Twinks ruined) etc...

Arche Age another one of those games when I joined it was a great game, 6 months later a little less it goes into major state of decline because of the patches and stuff.

Then you got MMO's like "Black Desert" Just totally lacking any innovation, Constant have to be on at this time to fight this many bosses, The Housing system being horrid, Developers who don't listen, limited pearl shop item space so even if you play only one main character and have all the costumes you run out of space and can't buy anymore.

I am looking for games like the (Original WOW) not this watered down crap blizzard has given us over the years, but with updated graphics.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Well I think ESO is an exception, other than that stagnation typically leads to decline. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    It declined long ago. Look at the company actually bragging about taking a year and a half to create STO. That's not something to brag about with one of the greatest IP's in the world. The only other thing on the planet as big as Star Trek is Star Wars. No one has done them justice yet (with the exception of the wonderful KOTOR 1 and 2 from Bioware). 
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Actually i think the quality of the games  is better than ever but the genre itself is in  a bit of a lull in terms of aaa development
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Nope. Quite contrary. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I don't think the quality of MMO's is in decline, though i do think a great many of them could be managed better, some of them have too high a focus on revenue gain, often at the expense of the player experience, monetising types of gameplay or restricting access to functionality, it's not an easy balance at the best of times, and is literally just the tip of the iceberg.
    I just think that some games are managed in a way that concentrates too much on squeezing as much revenue as they can from it, often to the detriment of the game itself. :o
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    ApexTKM said:
    I don't consider star citizen an mmo. But to me yea, there are not many mmos out there that fit the blueprint of what I'm looking for.
    I think they are. It is because of the cash shop for me, I can get over some of them, but 90 percent of them go way to far, with gambling boxes. 
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    It's kind of like saying Wow Arena, or GW2 SPvP isn't as good as LoL pvp.

LoL only need to do one thing right.  The scope of mmorpg become so large it's impossible to have as much focus on every aspect of the game.

The monster AI to you may be the most important thing in mmorpg.  To me, it's something I dont' really care that much about.  And really most of the dungeons in mmorpg have pretty good AI or script, it's just when it go out to the open world the focus is less.   

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    For the era yes and by a lot.
    We can't compare old school with new because both devs are working with a whole different set of tools and technology.
    That is why i like to use the term "effort".Devs in the old days were giving us their best,now a days they are cutting corners everywhere,they have the tech and know how to deliver amazing quality games but are giving us often not even as good as old school.
    So if i rate old school top rated games as 7/10 ,these new devs are giving us crap 1.2.3/10 effort.Instead of spending on quality of game design,they see it cheaper to advertise and pay others to promote their crap on us.This is why law has stepped up in clamping down on businesses that try to manipulate the market by paying others to promote their products,we are being scammed big time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Furh79Furh79 Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Oh fancy a bitter old vet is upset the genre has passed him by...oh too bad. 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    " Ones goal should be higher then the steps leading down to there parents basement."
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Serious philosophical question: why does this matter if there is an appreciable probability we are all in The Matrix?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    The games have gotten better in terms of graphics and mechanics, but most games are ruined by short sighted business models. Pre-orders, founder packs, and crowdfunding has all contributed to this idea of "give me money first and then I'll make you a good game" philosophy. In recent years I've seen so many games that were actually pretty good just get ruined with piss poor management and terrible business models. As soon as the primary focus became money making over game making, things have gone down hill. Of course game development has to have revenue to keep it going, so I'm not very optimistic that this trend is going to reverse itself any time soon. When you can make a billion dollars just getting people to chase virtual pokemon around at the park why spend the time and money to make a MMORPG? 
    Wizardry said:
    For the era yes and by a lot.
    We can't compare old school with new because both devs are working with a whole different set of tools and technology.
    That is why i like to use the term "effort".Devs in the old days were giving us their best,now a days they are cutting corners everywhere,they have the tech and know how to deliver amazing quality games but are giving us often not even as good as old school.
    So if i rate old school top rated games as 7/10 ,these new devs are giving us crap 1.2.3/10 effort.Instead of spending on quality of game design,they see it cheaper to advertise and pay others to promote their crap on us.This is why law has stepped up in clamping down on businesses that try to manipulate the market by paying others to promote their products,we are being scammed big time.

There are a lot of old school bitter vets on this site who are upset the genre has passed them by.  It's sad watching these 40-50 year olds cry over and over how video games left them in the dust.

Clearly the majority of those who are playing mmos right now strongly disagree with you...but hey when you are unable to move on from something that has passed you by like most mature adults at least you have sites like this where they allow and encourage grown men to pout non stop. 

Adadpt or move on its that simple...the genre isn't going to chance because a few 50 years are sad.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Furh79, if what you say is true then we'd see massive MMO hits like WoW, EQ, DAoC, etc. Instead we see massive flameouts happen within three months. Its no secret this genre is trash now. I'd rather play mobile games than the garbage MMOs out there.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    What has happened is a change of focus to making the game that will provide the most money to the developer from making the best game for the player.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    OP acts like new MMO's are actually being released...lol.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited November 2016

What seems to be in decline to me is the genre itself, it seems like for the most part ideas to improve the current formula have dried up. Hence why most devs are in a state of digression. Going back to the dawn of the genre, be it project gorgon, COE, Pantheon, so on so forth. It makes sense as the given typical formula has run it's course more or less. Now to move forward they need to move back and start over again. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I don't know that the quality of games has declined.  Rather, I suspect that the expectations of game players has risen almost without bounds.  Look at what happened with EQ:N.  There was a massive initial fanfare, with a few trying to hold a realistic, balanced view of that project.  The hype grew larger and more unchecked, with promises and feature lists being invented at every turn, by both fans and developers.  Eventually, the ballyhoo became so large that it became impractical for the development company to sustain, and the project failed.  Everyone following the project had a different expectation for the game, and there was no way they could deliver a product that would satisfy a majority of the customers.  The expectations of the players hampered the EQ:N project more than any previous project.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2016
    Lol you say all of that OP while mentioning the one game that has the highest debate on whether it will be completed or not.

As for mmorpg.com's popularity, you have to understand that there are many venues to get news or gaming information compared to when this site was in its 'prime.' Any Tom, Dick, or Harry can put out information on YouTube and tend to do it without even bothering to do research first mainly for a higher chance of views if its posted fast enough. If its wrong later, they'll just do an apology video and get even more views. All of that deals with one person, where as mmorpg.com has a staff. I'm pretty sure there's not many rogue agents on this site.
    Golelorn said:
    Furh79, if what you say is true then we'd see massive MMO hits like WoW, EQ, DAoC, etc. Instead we see massive flameouts happen within three months. Its no secret this genre is trash now. I'd rather play mobile games than the garbage MMOs out there.
    Well WoW is still a massive hit, games like SWTOR, ESO and FFXIV have made more money per year than EQ or DAoC could ever dream of.  Show me when EQ or DAoC made over $100 million in one year.  Its no secret your OPINION is NOT shared by the MILLION and MILLIONS who are enjoying MMOS today.  To think otherwise is ignorant.  

And what type of person cries a genre is trash and still comes to a website dedicated to that genre just to cry?  

BTW every game on the top pay to play list has been around a lot longer than three months, its amazing how ignorant you bitter old school babies are to actual FACTS.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/us-digital-games-market/
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
     Where are the epic worlds of Ultima Online, or Dark Age of Camelot, SWG, Asheron's Call? I don't want clones of those games, but each of those games was innovative, unique, never done before.

This my favorite line. Oh course they were innovative, unique, and never done before. There wasn't all that much of a before when they came out. In Ultima Online's case there wasn't really a before at all.

The quality of games have gone up substantially over the years. Honestly, even the F2P games have arguably better quality then many of the games in the old days. Everything else you wrote is just opinion. We get it. You're unhappy and want the old days of hell levels back, innovation at its finest! 

Those days are long gone and based on what the general population wants it looks like it's good riddance. They will never be coming back. Have no fear! You'll still be able to find the excitement you're looking for in niche games made through Kickstarter. 

However, no matter how much you complain and argue more than likely there will never be another AAA MMO released that meets your criteria.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Mardukk said:
    OP acts like new MMO's are actually being released...lol.

Where has the OP been for the last 6-8 years?

Many of the formerly "big" players in the MMORPG spaces have been sold,  are looking for a buyer, have gone out of business, have stopped making MMORPGs/MMOs, or canceled major titles that were a ways through production.

The only thing hitting the market for the most part these days is Asian import crap, barely finished / not really finished indie crap, and arena shooters.

The MMO market has never been in worse shape, on the business side, as "big" games are not being made by major studios anymore.

The market has moved on to "the next thing", which is what the market always does.

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    "Things are not catering to my subjective taste" does not mean "things are objectively bad".