Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Total War: Warhammer (future - purchase?)

AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
edited November 2016 in Off-Topic Discussion
So I saw TW: Warhammer for sale on Bundle Stars and am considering getting it (I should have bought earlier from GMG).

I have a few questions from people who might know the franchise better than me.

I don't expect a GOTY or compilation box any time soon.   I was hoping for it but I don't think they have done this for a long time with the franchise?  Are any of these games typical to see during Steam sales?  Would they typically be for sale as soon as Christmas given the release date of the game?

I am asking here because I actually "trust" the community here (since I am not asking if it SUX or ROXXORS - - i'm old)

Any thoughts.  I am thinking buy the base game on sale now and wait for the DLC to go on sale.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Can't really say much about getting it on sale. I know I've seen Creative Assembly put all of their previous titles on sale on steam before, possibly up to 75% off for the older games, but that's no guarantee of warhammer going on sale this xmas. 

I would say that the game is still worth getting, regardless of sale price. The unit diversity, the maps, the heroes and the magic all result in this game having the best battle experience out of any of the total wars. Sending a massive arachnarok against a squad of dwarf soldiers is fun! Or the doom divers (catapults where the goblin is the ammo) that you can manually guide through the air. 

I pre-ordered so got the chaos army dlc with the game too. Each race (I can play as 5) is massively different. I mainly play orcs who are great fun, but they can't trade with anyone so you're constantly broke and forced to attack others. Dwarfs, on the other hand, can trade and you get extremely rich, but unit diversity is lacking. Chaos have a ton of diversity and some amazing units, but they don't have cities....they have hordes. All your money comes from sacking other towns, so life as chaos is one of constant battle. 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Can't really say much about getting it on sale. I know I've seen Creative Assembly put all of their previous titles on sale on steam before, possibly up to 75% off for the older games, but that's no guarantee of warhammer going on sale this xmas. 

I would say that the game is still worth getting, regardless of sale price. The unit diversity, the maps, the heroes and the magic all result in this game having the best battle experience out of any of the total wars. Sending a massive arachnarok against a squad of dwarf soldiers is fun! Or the doom divers (catapults where the goblin is the ammo) that you can manually guide through the air. 

I pre-ordered so got the chaos army dlc with the game too. Each race (I can play as 5) is massively different. I mainly play orcs who are great fun, but they can't trade with anyone so you're constantly broke and forced to attack others. Dwarfs, on the other hand, can trade and you get extremely rich, but unit diversity is lacking. Chaos have a ton of diversity and some amazing units, but they don't have cities....they have hordes. All your money comes from sacking other towns, so life as chaos is one of constant battle. 
    Thanks!  I think with that diversity in game play the core game alone is worth it.  I think I'll pick it up on sale now and get the DLC if it comes up later.  Great response.  just the info I was looking for.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    No worries, enjoy the game!

Something I guess I left out which might be relevant is the difference in comparison to previous TW games. 

Warhammer has possibly the best ground battles in the series. You have all the same sorts of strategies you've seen before (pikes to fight off cavalry, take the high ground, protect your flanks etc) but with the added heroes, magic and mythical beasts it can make it really fun. You do lose a little bit of strategy, for example, can't change formations of units anymore (so no wedges for cavalry, or squares for infantry) but it's a minor thing. 

However, Warhammer has possibly the least involved tactical map. The racial differences make diplomacy pretty much obsolete, religion is also non-existant (you have vampiric and chaos corruption, but has minor effects). Each race has other restrictions that limit the tactical map - orcs can't trade with anyone. Orcs can only capture orc and dwarf territories (and dwarfs vice versa). Chaos has no cities, only hordes. 

So, you end up not really thinking about the tactical map much. Unlike say, Empire, I'm not having to think about trade routes and diplomacy all the time, I can just focus on building armies and then sending them out to smash other people. 

Still my favourite Total War game, but I know some people pretty much ignore the battles and just auto-resolve, so if you're that sort of player you may find the game lacking.