Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unity Expanding its reach

TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
Unity has improved built-in support for Facebook now

http://www.adweek.com/socialtimes/facebook-gameroom-unity/646890

It has also started to offer its product FREE to colleges and universities.  We should start seeing a surge in unity based games in over the next few years...
"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    wait hasnt Unity been free to everyone for a long time now.

They changed their pricing model so that its 1000000% free but they want a cut of any retail sales you make

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

They changed their pricing model so that its 1000000% free but they want a cut of any retail sales you make
    It is free depending on how much you make.  I think you also had to have the Unity spack screen etc.  Also was not free to schools etc with a budget of over $100K or something which would be most.

Edit:  had a quick look. . they only ever took money from you with the "free" version if you made over $100K. . this has been increased to $200K annually.  if I am making that much I don't mind giving a cut.

It does seem like they are going to a subscription model rather than people buying it every time there is a new version.

This is pretty much how most products are going.  Of course you can continue to use the version you purchased but support for it will dwindle.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:
    SEANMCAD said:

It is free depending on how much you make.  I think you also had to have the Unity spack screen etc.  Also was not free to schools etc with a budget of over $100K or something which would be most.
    1. yeah so I think for students (not schools but students) its been free for like a decade.
    2. now its free to anyone regardless of if your a student or not. I dont think there is a watermark because I did it myself and I do not think there was watermark I can re-check but it would take me a lot of time.
    3. yes, after set number of profits then they get a cut.
    4. I think Unreal is doing the same thing as of last year

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:

At the college/university level, it was not free.  There is also something in the licensing agreement of Unity that many colleges have issues with.  Ohio State has a game program and uses Unity but each class session the students have to install the Unity personal edition because the college has an issue with something in the licensing and they will not install it on their classroom computers. 
    Note: According to the last time I spoke to the instructor there.

Another point, while the personal edition is free and allows most options, it is not really designed to be used to release a commercial game.  You have to buy a PLUS or PRO license for that which costs $35 or $125 per month.  There is no "cut of the retail sales" that I am aware of.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

At the college/university level, it was not free.  There is also something in the licensing agreement of Unity that many colleges have issues with.  Ohio State has a game program and uses Unity but each class session the students have to install the Unity personal edition because the college has an issue with something in the licensing and they will not install it on their classroom computers. 
    Note: According to the last time I spoke to the instructor there.

Another point, while the personal edition is free and allows most options, it is not really designed to be used to release a commercial game.  You have to buy a PLUS or PRO license for that which costs $35 or $125 per month.  There is no "cut of the retail sales" that I am aware of.
    ok my bad I thought the original was free for college students. I think you can use the non-pro version and make money from your creations up to a set amount but I am  not sure on that.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aethaeryn said:
    SEANMCAD said:

1. yeah so I think for students (not schools but students) its been free for like a decade.
    2. now its free to anyone regardless of if your a student or not. I dont think there is a watermark because I did it myself and I do not think there was watermark I can re-check but it would take me a lot of time.
    3. It depends on your licensing and the amount of money you make from your game commercially.  The free edition allows you to make $100k but after that they get a cut.  The PLUS version costs $35 per month and allows the first $200k to be all yours and the PRO version which costs $125 per month allows you unlimited sales and Unity does NOT get a cut.
    https://store.unity.com/

4. Unreal has been feeling pressure from Unity and last year changed its business model to allow a free version.  I dont know how they are doing with integrating with colleges since Unity has a huge head start on them.  Unity has always had a free version to my knowledge and many colleges started using it years ago because of that.

edited November 2016
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aethaeryn said:
    SEANMCAD said:

3. It depends on your licensing and the amount of money you make from your game commercially.  The free edition allows you to make $100k but after that they get a cut.  The PLUS version costs $35 per month and allows the first $200k to be all yours and the PRO version which costs $125 per month allows you unlimited sales and Unity does NOT get a cut.
    https://store.unity.com/

4. Unreal has been feeling pressure from Unity and last year changed its business model to allow a free version.  I dont know how they are doing with integrating with colleges since Unity has a huge head start on them.  Unity has always had a free version to my knowledge and many colleges started using it years ago because of that.
    sounds laget 

one thing is for sure though, at the point of purchase and not an hour, 2 hours, 3 week, 1 month or 12 months before the point of purchase we would hope the consumer would know on that exact time frame of the purchase what is or is not in the product :)
    ha!