Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Factions are not a good Idea!!! You are warned!

2»

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    There's nothing wrong with starter factions. The problem is absolutely locking players into them as the narrative evolves. Factions should really be for lore purposes and to give people training wheels for conflict.  Allowing the player to form allegiances as they present themselves makes more sense and gets out in front of problems.

Things are constantly evolving. When there are big "power guilds", they do have moments of dominance but in every large guild there are haves and have nots and this will splinter power guilds into smaller groups that compete against each other.

I do think developers need to start thinking of ways to mitigate the long term punishment of players for innocent decisions they made such as factions or race. This is why I'm keeping an eye out for Crowfall because they claim there's a beginning and end of conflict to help refresh after wins and losses.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited November 2016
    Sovrath said:
    I wonder if what the OP means is that factions should be willingly joined by the players as opposed to them being these strict delineations where one race can't join another faction  because that faction is at war with them. Or some such thing.
    Or just offer being neutral if you just want to PVE. Its really not that hard and more games should have that as an option in faction based games. Heck Anarchy Online did this back in 2001. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    By the way I have 20+ years experience in not giving a f%$k what a persons gaming experience is. 
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • krymsontydekrymsontyde Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited November 2016
    Open style is always the best  and most balanced approach. Those players who like factions are most likely the players that  will jump ship to the best faction because they want it ezmode.  Rerolling to the other faction because it has the most dominant players to carry them. Especially 3 faction game. It is even better to have more factions than 3 simply because 3 is enough to discriminate so hugely and leave one faction a desert town. 2 faction systems are somewhat better as long as they can maintain a population and balance on both sides and the classes are mostly homogenized but for the best experience open is just the best and easier to balance as well. Screw the scrubs who want to get carried. I prefer to compete on an open level with guilds and across all races/classes. That is how competition should work. Making it so you compete with a fraction of the player base is just stupid. WTF would you want to build a wall between player interaction in an MMO in the first place? It doesn't make sense. 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited November 2016
    Hariken said:
    Sovrath said:
    I wonder if what the OP means is that factions should be willingly joined by the players as opposed to them being these strict delineations where one race can't join another faction  because that faction is at war with them. Or some such thing.
    Or just offer being neutral if you just want to PVE. Its really not that hard and more games should have that as an option in faction based games. Heck Anarchy Online did this back in 2001. 
    only then neutrals could be killed by eaither side or kill any side too,neutral was more for mercs type

with faction or without faction is all in the end based on how good the game is and how good they can put the balance, the 3 factions based wars was more usefull because based on if one is winning the otehr 2 can join forces to fight teh bigger menace, but its all goes down to politics the players like to play, most of the case being in factions or guild based only the top guilds will get they way, they will organize and play in the means they can get advantage.

understand this, saying a game with factions is doomed is wrong the same to say one without it is doomed, in both cases it will depend on, players politics, how good the game is, and how pvp will be played, pvp for the sake of pvp most will not care to join, no profit from it, pvp with some gains, the most organizaed guilds will capitalise it to they gains, if you want to make a MMORpg to a single lone player then you need to do like the browser games do, isolate everyone and only make the chat being possible.

anything other then that the lone player is dead, he can't compete who like to group, he can't do anything if he don't ahve a guild to back him up, that was always about how to play MMOs, you need others to do things
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Having separate factions is a terrible idea. It absolutely destroyed some of the best MMOs I've played. You may want to reconsider that idea. Change the name of the factions to just be placeholders, red, blue, green factions and mix your population up between the races. Good LUCK! I have 20 years of MMO experience and gaming.

people like you ruin MMORPG's with your constant complaining about basic elements of the game, to the point where they dumb it down and spoonfeed you ala WoW.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Everything is a bad idea these days. What they should really do is just give you a cgi movie upon entering the game that says: YOU WIN!

This needs to happen, if it doesn't..

Sincerely,

Your Warning
    Sounds like Witcher 4.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    OP.....  Don't look up Dark Age of Camelot.15 year old subscription game which is entirely faction focused. Or Camelot Unchained...completely faction based.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    By the way I have 20+ years experience in not giving a f%$k what a persons gaming experience is. 
    But you give a F%$k about faction locking.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Having separate factions is a terrible idea. It absolutely destroyed some of the best MMOs I've played. You may want to reconsider that idea. Change the name of the factions to just be placeholders, red, blue, green factions and mix your population up between the races. Good LUCK! I have 20 years of MMO experience and gaming.
    TL;DR: I don't like factions in MMO, so factions will not bring any good for you too.

For the OP, I want to inform you, Candy Crush is not a MMO.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Open style is always the best  and most balanced approach. Those players who like factions are most likely the players that  will jump ship to the best faction because they want it ezmode.  Rerolling to the other faction because it has the most dominant players to carry them. Especially 3 faction game. It is even better to have more factions than 3 simply because 3 is enough to discriminate so hugely and leave one faction a desert town. 2 faction systems are somewhat better as long as they can maintain a population and balance on both sides and the classes are mostly homogenized but for the best experience open is just the best and easier to balance as well. Screw the scrubs who want to get carried. I prefer to compete on an open level with guilds and across all races/classes. That is how competition should work. Making it so you compete with a fraction of the player base is just stupid. WTF would you want to build a wall between player interaction in an MMO in the first place? It doesn't make sense. 
    Except in the absence of developer created factions players create them on their own, so they can dominate others in easymode I guess.

Easier to balance? I play EVE and I'm just not seeing that, but perhaps you have examples?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tzaxagiastzaxagias Member UncommonPosts: 10
    We have seen that if factions are done right they actually help the game for example WoW you have the Horde and  then the Alliance. Can you tell me how would it help WoW without factions
    I DONT KNOW KARATE BUT I KNOW CRAZY AND IM NOT AFRAID TO USE IT

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Aeander said:
    Factions are one of the best parts of the MMO genre.
    Personally i prefer factions to be only a flavor thing, while the pvp dynamic is built around guilds and alliances instead. Gives more freedom to everyone and avoids potential faction population issues. 
  • DeviateDeviate Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Star Wars Galaxies did factions the best. If you wanted to PVP you joined a side and flagged yourself. The PVE'ers were left unscathed.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    There's nothing wrong with starter factions. The problem is absolutely locking players into them as the narrative evolves.
    Just curious.  Are you watching HBOs Westworld?  I notice an increase use of the word narrative online since that show started...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Why have set factions at character creation? Lets get back to having in game factions people can join like Order / Chaos.