Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Nintendo Switch Could Change the RPG Landscape - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Nintendo Switch Could Change the RPG Landscape - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Last week, Nintendo unveiled their latest console, the Nintendo Switch. Previously known as the NX, the Switch is smart blend of home console, handheld, and mobile device. Even with the Wii U flopping badly enough to make Free Willy cringe, this is a development we should all pay attention to. Even if you’re not a Nintendo fan, if the Switch takes off, it could change the gaming landscape.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    While I'd like to play another Zelda game I think I can hold off while playing clones on the xbox. Haven't played a zelda game since twilight princess and it's due to nintendo's systems with little 3rd party support. When I'm not at home I'm usually doing something else where I can't game at the same time so there's no attraction as far as mobility goes. IMO, it's just another sub par system from nintendo, as far as I'm concerned.
  • LexDominoLexDomino Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Nintendo missed their chance to join the big boys when they refused to invest in online gaming. Instead of aging up with us(the gamers they had hooked back in the 80-90s) they decided to focus on little kids.

Pokemon put them back on the map. A vast majority of Pokemon players begged for an online game. Nintendo refused.

They can keep throwing noodles at the wall all they want. They have a solid reputation of being the kiddie console and that's the reputation they wanted. It really doesn't matter what they do now. They're completely irrelevant in the world of MMOs. Consoles in general are mostly irrelevant in this world as well and people hate when MMOs try to add in consoles because it severely limits the PC version.

These companies had their chance to dominate this industry and they failed. Now it's too late. Once you discover PC gaming you realize very quickly how subpar console gaming is. Then when you add in the thousands of dollars it costs to keep up with console gaming vs the few hundred for a good pc that will last a few years you can clearly see PCs win every time.

The base price of consoles without any games cost as much as a decent gaming PC nowadays. It's ridiculous. The fact that the PC does so much more than gaming I honestly don't even understand why people still buy consoles other than sheer ignorance.
  • SpikeXSpikeX Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I vote with my wallet. Got the original nintendo at 3 years old. I'm 33 now. This is a launch day purchase for me. I need a pc and a nintendo console. The vast majority of games that are released on the other consoles I can get on PC.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    edited October 2016

I don't think the Nintendo Switch will influence RPGs one bit.

Nintendo's portable market is huge. Raising that to a competitive level with other major consoles, assuming it is successful, could absolutely be influential. This industry follows trends that make money. If some of those previously portable only titles' design sensibilities take off, other studios will certainly be paying attention. It's about trend setting.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hardware wise and aesthetically I think it's one of the dumbest consoles I've seen next to the Sega CD attachment for the Genesis. I have nothing against Nintendo. I had a negative reaction to the controller slider thingies.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited October 2016
    Its probably best not to think of the 'switch' as a console, given the market it will be entering into, its more like a handheld device that can be docked so that they can use it to play their handheld game on the TV if its available, i think that will be its strength, the real benefit, is that it will be a mobile device that does not rely on having a touch screen, which is a terrible controller option for mobile gaming, and this is where i think the Switch will do well, its mobile gaming, with a decent controller, so chances are the market it will hit the heaviest in, if it does well that is, is the mobile gaming market. B)

almost forgot to say it, but i want one :p
  • SpikeXSpikeX Member UncommonPosts: 76
    For me there are games that come out on the 3ds that I'd like the option of playing on the tv.  Bravely Default,  pokemon, fire emblem,  other misc titles as well.   Nintendo does need to up their online capabilities,  add an achievement system and get the virtual console/library right.
  • saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    if they make a new pokemon stadium, smash bros. mario kart/ mario party.....i think this might help Nintendo get some street cred back. Obviously we all know there will be a zelda game since its been coming for a few years now. they lost me with the Wii. maybe this will be the console i return for. Oh and mayb a new Mario 3d RPG like super mario 64. that would sell like hotcakes
  • DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

Phry said:

Its probably best not to think of the 'switch' as a console, given the market it will be entering into, its more like a handheld device that can be docked so that they can use it to play their handheld game on the TV if its available, i think that will be its strength, the real benefit, is that it will be a mobile device that does not rely on having a touch screen, which is a terrible controller option for mobile gaming, and this is where i think the Switch will do well, its mobile gaming, with a decent controller, so chances are the market it will hit the heaviest in, if it does well that is, is the mobile gaming market. B)

almost forgot to say it, but i want one :p

I agree. This is really the only way I can wrap my head around the device.

Nintendo already lagged way behind Microsoft/Sony in the Wii and Wii U generation in terms of console power. However they had some sort of "gimmick" to make it okay. Now there isn't even any point in comparing. You have essentially a mobile device that can be easily connected to a large TV, that plays games off of cartridges. They are basically leaving the home console market in favor of trying to pick up the people that like to sit at home on their couch and play games on their phones while they have a large TV in front of them.

It's just really a shame and I still dont' quite get it. Their portables already sell well. Why not focus on making a better console and then have two devices that people buy? Financially why does it ever make sense to "merge" two separate things into one? They could sell a next gen DS/Portable AND sell a next gen console. Instead they fold them into one? I just don't think they are going to get the sales to make that worth it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Is Zelda going to be THAT good? And after Zelda, what next?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Selling to children to build a future market?  Call me skeptical.  Professional soccer in the US has been doing that since the 1970s, and soccer is barely an afterthought past hockey.  They may even be looking over their shoulder at lacrosse gaining on them.  Atlanta may have famously lost a couple of hockey teams, but our record with soccer teams is far more dismal -- Chiefs, Apollos, Chiefs, Silverbacks, Silverbacks, Silverbacks -- and that's not counting the various women's teams that have showed up over the years.

Because children want something, and the parents provide that, doesn't guarantee that purchasing decision will influence future products.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I like it and I think I'll buy one. Looks like a real powerful mobile gaming device. I also think it would be an absolute monster if they would partner up with Apple or Google when it comes to a device like this.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    What a weird but interesting idea
    TheScavenger

imageimage

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Since this isn't aimed to be a replacement for the 3DS I'm skeptical of its success. I will probably get one but I'm not the average gamer. I don't see core PS or Xbox players ditching their system for this and I don't see this creating a new market. I smell another flop.
  • DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Grakulen said:
    Since this isn't aimed to be a replacement for the 3DS I'm skeptical of its success. I will probably get one but I'm not the average gamer. I don't see core PS or Xbox players ditching their system for this and I don't see this creating a new market. I smell another flop.
    Exactly. 

It will either attempt to replace the 3DS (which at best will lead them to break even by replacing one device with another) or it won't really find a purpose or place in most people's life. A slightly larger, sort of portable console that in return is a generation behind the other consoles? Seems strange.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited October 2016

DrWookie said:

Grakulen said:

Exactly. 

It will either attempt to replace the 3DS (which at best will lead them to break even by replacing one device with another) or it won't really find a purpose or place in most people's life. A slightly larger, sort of portable console that in return is a generation behind the other consoles? Seems strange.

They have already come out and said this is not aimed at replacing the 3DS which is what makes it so confusing. That said I think this will do much better in the commuter culture of the east than it will do in the west.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Basically they just made another mobile system, that is all it really is.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I wonder how the specs compare to the wii u? If it's not meant to replace it, will games continue to be developed for the wii u after the switch's release? I really think nintendo should pull a sega and just turn into a game developer.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Got lmao at the "change the rpg landscape".  It's a cheap gimmick.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    In my eyes this is a product that wants to be a console and a portable, yet doesn't do either all that well.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Interesting point about the 'kid factor', it's not something I had considered, but I wonder how much 'normal' tablet functionality (web browser, basic apps, etc.) the NS will have; if it came from MS or Sony, it might be a safer bet, but from Nintendo, I wouldn't count on much.

If it does end up replacing the 3DS it will be nice to see a lot of the good 3DS franchises (Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Bravely X, etc.) with better graphics... but I suspect one big reason they target the 3DS in the first place is to keep production costs down.

It would be nice if the Switch does do well (not that I'm really looking for a new console), as it's an interesting idea at the very least, but...
    - They miss the entire Christmas period, and with no new info (or even hype) until Jan I don't see a rush of pre-orders; so it'll be PS4 (Pro) / X1S for the kids this year. Which basically only leaves the more 'core' gamers to pick it up come March.
    - There is a lack of innovation on the gameplay side. Yes, it 'transforms', but the controls are otherwise standard. The Wii at least had motion controls (novel for the time), but Switch doesn't seem to offer anything you can't get elsewhere.
    - Processing power is going to an issue. It's probably smart going with a custom chipset, as it can potentially be made very efficient, but it also makes porting, and thus 3rd party support, harder / less likely. Also, even if it is tuned very well it's still not going to hold up to the PS4 / X1, let alone a PC (a 1070 alone, which uses the same base technology, is twice the price point and size of the NS).
    - Battery life. Unknown at this stage, but portability is the only real advantage the NS has, so I expect them to put some effort into it. That said, it's always going to be a balance between battery life and performance, and there is only so far you can lower the graphics settings (also means devs have to put extra effort in just for the NS), so I'm not expecting more than a few hours... is that enough?

• WicasaWicasa Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I really believed they were going to announce NX VR. Was not expecting a Wii U DS Mix. What's the point? Buy a Wii U and a DS and you already have this Switch... The textureless colorful games would have perfect framerates for VR.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I think it will suck...Yeah, I'm going with suck... The WII U wasn't a bad system with nearly zero publisher support. I really think Nintendo has lost their touch.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box