Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did the new AMD video cards fail?

Comments

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited October 2016
    Another NVidia driver release that breakes Windows....thats 4th of 5th this year? ROFL

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/41933-nvidia-releases-hotfix-after-breaking-windows-10

one of the reasons i gave NVidia kick in the behind, terible support.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited October 2016
    Malabooga said:
    Vrika said:

If that's the case, then using old drivers for NVidia didn't matter since it was not Multi-GPU test

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-1-pc-graphics-benchmark-review,5.html

EDIT 2: There's also a YouTube video that more or less confirms this: NVidia's gameready drivers did not add any frame rate compared to the version used on tests.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr7TyKGEa6s
    Thats pretty much case for any game they claimed "gameready drivers" in last 11 moths rofl (and i tested vast majority of them) along with most of "gameready drivers" crashing extensively in DX12 rofl

As i said, NVidia had "BF1 open beta gameready driver" on 30th August, anyone expecting anything needs to have their head checked lol

in fact in that video 373.06 works better than "gameready" 375.w/e rofl (starts at 0:50)

They just did an update yesterday for battlefield1 in game ready drivers. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I just can't take people serious who claim that gfx driver issues are an AMD exclusive problem.

Just 2 days ago a friend was ranting that Nvidia enforced an update which overwrote his customized inputs on his game.

But hey if you came to the conclusion that the world is divided into black and white then stick with that view.
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited October 2016
    filmoret said:
    Malabooga said:
    Vrika said:

If that's the case, then using old drivers for NVidia didn't matter since it was not Multi-GPU test

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-1-pc-graphics-benchmark-review,5.html

EDIT 2: There's also a YouTube video that more or less confirms this: NVidia's gameready drivers did not add any frame rate compared to the version used on tests.

Thats pretty much case for any game they claimed "gameready drivers" in last 11 moths rofl (and i tested vast majority of them) along with most of "gameready drivers" crashing extensively in DX12 rofl

As i said, NVidia had "BF1 open beta gameready driver" on 30th August, anyone expecting anything needs to have their head checked lol

in fact in that video 373.06 works better than "gameready" 375.w/e rofl (starts at 0:50)

They pulled faulty driver (aka "BF1 gameready" driver that doesnt do anything for BF1 but breakes Windows) and released "hotfix" 2 days after rofl

In other news, EVGA 1070/1080 overheating problems, along with general faulty GTX1070 VRAM issues

https://www.techpowerup.com/227133/evga-gtx-1070-1080-overheating-issues-company-says-thermal-pads-a-solution

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1070-memory-issue/

Dakeru said:
    I just can't take people serious who claim that gfx driver issues are an AMD exclusive problem.

Just 2 days ago a friend was ranting that Nvidia enforced an update which overwrote his customized inputs on his game.

But hey if you came to the conclusion that the world is divided into black and white then stick with that view.
    The drivers are what is making the difference in these two cards.  Which is why the gtx 1060 is vastly superior in the dx11.  The drivers are better.  And the AMD card is doing better with DX12.  Its only a matter of time before nvidia optimizes their dx12 drivers.  Just to note we are only using an example from 1 game.

@filmoret I wasn't actually aiming at you with my statement about drivers.
    Though I do think you are heavily biased on the old Nvidia vs AMD struggle.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Malabooga said:
    filmoret said:
    Malabooga said:
    Vrika said:

They pulled faulty driver (aka "BF1 gameready" driver that doesnt do anythign for BF1 but breakes Windows) and released "hotfix" 2 days after rofl

In other news, 1070/1080 overheating problems (long with faulty VRAM problems)

https://www.techpowerup.com/227133/evga-gtx-1070-1080-overheating-issues-company-says-thermal-pads-a-solution

For some reason we are discussing 1 game from 1 website.  So lets bring this back down to earth and reality.

google search  rx 480 vs gtx 1060 and first 10 results all saying that the 1060 is superior.

1060 is vastly superior in dx11 and superior in dx12 in most cases

Then we have this.....

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    These are the ones off the shelf and how they are performing.  I don't think they tested dx12 on these samples.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3566&cmp[]=3533
    That's a synthetic benchmark that has long been very favorable to Nvidia.  Synthetics don't matter if the only demanding thing you want is to play games.  I could easily write a synthetic benchmark in which the RX 480 gets about double the performance of the GTX 1060.  Or the other way around.
    Most benchmarks are artificial.  The question is, whether or not it provides any insight?  I don't know much about the specifics of the card, but did it perform well or not?

I self identify as a monkey.

edited October 2016
    filmoret said: snip
    Because "google search" is beginning and end of all things rofl. And apparently u believe everything in headlines, and thers millions of you out there whi drink PR as nectar becasue they dont know any better.
    Malabooga said:
    filmoret said: snip
    Because "google search" is beginning and end of all things rofl. And apparently u believe everything in headlines, and thers millions of you out there whi drink PR as nectar becasue they dont know any better.
    Or we can believe in some massive conspiracy that Google wants to destroy AMD.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Vastly?
  • JhiaPetJhiaPet Member UncommonPosts: 46
    The whole idea of forcing updates or anything else on customers should be anathema to all companies. 

Customers are not employees, and your programmers are not our IT department.  My home computer is not in a cubicle at Microsoft or Nvidia, and we shouldn't have to put up with that snotty attitude from the nerdy guy they send out to fix our email.

The idea of choice and offering a superior product has taken a back seat to force, demands, and narrowing options to the >one thing<, which is often whatever fad the company is on at the moment. 

We're customers; not consumers, not "gamers", not unpaid employees.  Customer is a word that seems to have gone out of fashion with these businesses lately.  When we choose to give our money to a company it is that company's privilege, not their right.  The attitude coming from a lot of these businesses stinks quite frankly.  It's almost as if their funding doesn't come from sales, but from some other source... and profit is a word that is almost banished in favor of year on year gains and "targets".
    I had a look at the new benchmarks and I compared the prices of the 2 cards.

Depending on model the 1060 seems to be 10-20% more expensive and provides a 10-15% better performance.

What I am saying here is that if you stay neutral it doesn't matter which card you buy - you will get about the same value for your money.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    filmoret said:
    Dakeru said:

The drivers are what is making the difference in these two cards.  Which is why the gtx 1060 is vastly superior in the dx11.  The drivers are better.  And the AMD card is doing better with DX12.  Its only a matter of time before nvidia optimizes their dx12 drivers.  Just to note we are only using an example from 1 game.

You need to lookup the word "vastly" because you have no clue what it implies.  The word you were looking for is "minor".
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I have an R 380 and there is not a day that goes by where the card does not crash at least once while watching a video
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    AMD seems to have a reputation about bad drivers but their bad drivers never killed AMD graphic cards.
    NVIDIA seems to have a spotless reputation but they had bad drivers that killed NVIDIA graphic cards in the past.

Anyway, at the moment 1060 vs 480 is a toss, both have pros and cons.
    Whichever you choose either gat the 1060 6GB or the 480 8GB instead of the 1060 3GB/480 4GB.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    filmoret said:
    Dakeru said:

DirectX 12 has been out for about 15 months now.  Pascal has been out for 5 months, but it's very heavily derivative of Maxwell, which has been around for more than two years.  You can hope for driver improvements from something that just launched, but by now, what you see is about all you can expect to get.
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Dakeru said:

DirectX 12 has been out for about 15 months now.  Pascal has been out for 5 months, but it's very heavily derivative of Maxwell, which has been around for more than two years.  You can hope for driver improvements from something that just launched, but by now, what you see is about all you can expect to get.
    For some reason the first video this guy made showed AMD a clear leader in the DX12.  I cannot find that video but he later made a second video and maybe different drivers but at this point Nvidia and AMD are showing very similar marks for the dx12.  Which is dated August 4

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    filmoret said:
    Quizzical said:
    filmoret said:
    Dakeru said:

For some reason the first video this guy made showed AMD a clear leader in the DX12.  I cannot find that video but he later made a second video and maybe different drivers but at this point Nvidia and AMD are showing very similar marks for the dx12.  Which is dated August 4

They are both decent budget GPU's, performance differences vary from game to game, either pick the cheapest or the one you like the look of best, or flip a coin even, but thats about it, the more reliable benchmarks don't really favour one over the other. B)
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Now I will say, the 1050Ti looks pretty good stacked against the 460, for release day data.
    edited October 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    Now I will say, the 1050Ti looks pretty good stacked against the 460, for release day data.
    Not for a 50% more expencive card.

OTOH for 20$ more you get RX470 which is 50-60% faster than 1050ti.

With 460 at 89$ and 470 at 169$ 1050ti shouldnt cost more than 109-119$ to actally make sense.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Don't buy the GTX 1060 3GB. It's just a plain bad buy.
    nVidia will never driver fix there way out of the problem they are facing in DX12/Vulkan. Only a new architecture will fix that which isn't coming for a year. They simply lack the feature set to deal with the API and as a result even budget oriented cards are competitive with higher end products. There are only a couple DX12 games nVidia performs competitively in, and those are titles that make little use of the API like Rise of the Tomb Raider.
    Also there is no benchmark out there showing the GTX 1060 6GB vastly superior in DX11 and superior in DX12 verse the RX 480 4GB. It's about a 10~15% difference in DX11, and -10%~5% difference in DX12. The RX 480 8GB is a different story. The GTX 1060 3GB is not in the least competitive with the RX 480. Its on par in DX11 and worse in DX12.
    This ones very interesting lol

Thumbnail

AMD just dropped their prices because NVIDIA was spanking them pretty hard.  That doesn't sound good.
    filmoret said:
    AMD just dropped their prices because NVIDIA was spanking them pretty hard.  That doesn't sound good.
    Are you aware that 2 of those 3 statements are completely subjective?
    Harbinger of Fools