Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razer Reveals Razer Blade Pro

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFree MMORPG News - MMORPG.com

MMORPG.com covers all of the latest online MMO news for the best MMORPG games and industry coverage.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Desktop replacement, yes. Portable without a monthly insurance premium, no.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2016
    EDIT: Post deleted, because it looks like SBFord fixed the thread name /EDIT

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    DMKano said:
    Laptops can never replace my tripple monitor setup.

Sorry

Also $3700.... you could build a PC that stomps the living crap out of that laptop for way less money.
    Well you are paying for the brand name (which isn't great to me) and also for the portability. Some people want to be able to game with maxed out settings on a laptop on the go on flights or in hotels and whatever. Personally I would spend it on a PC, but that's because I never really go anywhere other than home.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    For that money, you can get 3,2 laptops just as strong.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Yep ridiculous price point.  As mentioned above, the heat coming off that thing would heat a room.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    1. Thin and light
    2. Good gaming performance
    3. Proper cooling

Choose any two. You can see which two Razer went with--and which one got cut. Whenever a laptop advertises itself as "thin and light", that should mean you don't want it as a gaming laptop.
    DMKano said:

Sorry

Also $3700.... you could build a PC that stomps the living crap out of that laptop for way less money.
    Well you are paying for the brand name (which isn't great to me) and also for the portability. Some people want to be able to game with maxed out settings on a laptop on the go on flights or in hotels and whatever. Personally I would spend it on a PC, but that's because I never really go anywhere other than home.
    I'd be surprised if it got an hour of battery life under gaming loads.  So no, you're not playing games on that on a plane, or at least not for very long.

For hotels, if you're getting that class of internal hardware, you want about an extra inch of thickness and a few more pounds to let you have a robust cooling system.  MSI and Clevo (rebranded as Sager, etc.) build that sort of gaming laptop.  Razer doesn't.
    Now that I've had a look at the page, they have three storage options, all of which are RAID 0.  That's such a terrible idea.  The extra performance doesn't matter, but the loss of reliability from RAID 0 sure does.  That more than doubles your chances of storage problems.  It's intended to seem nice in a store or the day you get it, not to still be reliable a year later.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    If you have a job that requires a SHIT ton of travel and you still want to be able to game competitively with a good machine, this laptop is for you. For everyone else, no.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    LoL razer keeps going downhill IMO.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2016
    It seems like a great laptop for what I need professionally and for gaming. @Quizzical I actually held off on making that purchase we discussed. This peaked my interest.

The 100% Adobe RGB is incredible
    The 1080 is obviously great
    How thin it is, is excellent but WAY too good to be true.

I'm concerned about Raid 0 as well
    I'm concerned about it overheating. I will have to wait until hands on reviews
    The price bonkers if it doesn't include the 2TB SSD option

Also, it goes without saying aesthetically... Razer has one of the the ugliest, most obnoxious color scheme and logo combinations ever. It looks like a slutty tramp stamp tattoo.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Really expensive....

Personally, I have a really tricked out home PC (i7, 980Ti 32 MB Ram, SSD etc.) and a decent notebook (970M 16 MB ram, i7 SSD etc.)

I've literally been PC gaming since it has existed and have been seriously looking at the option of going with a decent notebook paired with some king of dock that lets me amp up my graphics, add ports, storage etc.  The idea would be to swap to one notebook and lose the home PC but keep my widescreen monitor.

I've looked at Alienware, Razer, 3rd party stuff over USB C; noting seems quite ready for primetime yet.

My experience with notebooks too is the hardware just doesn't hold up over time.  It would certainly be a decent option.  I love the idea of coming home and popping in my notebook and just expanding into a home system.  For me, that would probably look like Intel Iris graphics in the notebook and a couple high end cards in the dock at home driving my big 34 inch widescreen

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

It seems like a great laptop for what I need professionally and for gaming. @Quizzical I actually held off on making that purchase we discussed. This peaked my interest.

The 100% Adobe RGB is incredible
    The 1080 is obviously great
    How thin it is, is excellent but WAY too good to be true.

I'm concerned about Raid 0 as well
    I'm concerned about it overheating. I will have to wait until hands on reviews
    The price bonkers if it doesn't include the 2TB SSD option

Also, it goes without saying aesthetically... Razer has one of the the ugliest, most obnoxious color scheme and logo combinations ever. It looks like a slutty tramp stamp tattoo.

If you're interested in the Razer laptop, then here are the competitors that you should probably be more interested in:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9873-clevo-p870dm3.html?startcustomization=1
    http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt73vr-titan-pro-4k-225.html?startcustomization=1

You can get the same thing at about the same price from a number of sources, not just Xotic PC.  I link to them because their site makes it easy to find the information I'm looking for.

With appropriate configurations, all three options can get you a 17.3" monitor with a 3840x2160 resolution, 32 GB of memory, a 1 TB M.2 SSD (as two SSDs of half that size in RAID 0 on the Razer), and a GeForce GTX 1080M.  The Clevo and MSI laptops will do that for several hundred dollars less than the Razer.  And then there are some differences:

CPU:
    Razer:  Core i7-6700HQ
    MSI:  Core i7-6820HQ
    Clevo:  Core i7-6700K

MSI went with a faster, higher bin of the CPU than Razer.  Clevo stuck a desktop CPU in there, which is substantially faster yet.

Thickness:
    Razer:  0.88"
    MSI:  1.76"
    Clevo:  1.86"

Weight:
    Razer:  7.8 lb
    MSI:  8.59 lb
    Clevo:  12.13 lb

Yes, the Razer is lighter and especially thinner than the others.  But that's the problem:  MSI and Clevo did what they needed to do to properly cool the system under heavy, prolonged gaming loads, even if that means it's heavier and especially thicker.  Razer simply didn't.  The Razer laptop will be fine so long as you don't play games that push it hard, but give it some time for dust to accumulate and heavy gaming loads are going to be trouble.

That the Clevo is so much heavier than the MSI is probably at least in part because Clevo has more heat to dissipate from going with a 91 W desktop CPU (or 65 W if you get the Core i7-6700 non-K) rather than a 45 W laptop CPU.  They're the same chip, but the desktop version is clocked higher.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they all use exactly the same monitor, as there can't be too many 3840x2160, 17.3" laptop monitors with G-sync out there.  For comparison, for a desktop, New Egg only has two 4K monitors with G-sync of any size.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:

Sorry

Yup.  In fact I tell people, adding a second monitor is the cheapest way to boost employee efficiency.  Three is better.  Five is right out.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 said:
    DMKano said:

Sorry

Yup.  In fact I tell people, adding a second monitor is the cheapest way to boost employee efficiency.  Three is better.  Five is right out.
    I tell people that the amount of good computer work an employee is expected to do is proportional to the number of monitors he is given.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    edited October 2016
    for 3000$+ I could build freakin skynet in my room lol. $1500. or less an I would probably grab one just for fun
    I think what is causing the cost to be so high is the SSD size and the quality of the display. I've been hawking Xotic PC and Alienware waiting to see a decent laptop with a 1070 that has a 90%-100% Apple RGB display. Not gonna happen it seems.

Also why are these manufacturers so hell bent on making these "slim" laptops when they KNOW the heat will be a serious problem? I have yet to see a laptop with a 1080 in it that doesn't look like a battleship (for good reason).

Cutting Edge Thermal Design
    Pushing the boundaries of performance in a thin form factor design requires a super-efficient thermal management solution to keep the heat at bay. To survive the heat of the most graphically intense battles, the Razer Blade Pro utilizes an innovative custom cooling design. Dynamic heat exchange coupled with bleeding edge vapor chamber technology spreads heat out quickly, evenly and efficiently. To avoid “hot spots” an internal fan facilitates air movement within the chassis to deliver a cool and comfortable experience, whether you’re gaming on ultra-settings in 4K or rendering high resolution 3D animations.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    lol @Quizzical

Raid 0 it's a bad idea? Right...

Actually wrong, but not going to start a debate with you on this one.

And btw , just build an exact same laptop on that site you gave , and the total is 4.2k - 3% discount and that will be around 4k and some $. The only difference ( and a good one ) it's the CPU. 6700k is around 25%+ better then 6700hq and I really don't know why they went with 6700hq.

Anyway , if I had that cash , 100% would not buy a Clevo laptop. Yes, I will pay more for the brand, because for me, brand is a pretty big "player" when I am buying my parts/laptop/etc. And I also don't like MSI . But that's just me !

My pick will be without questions something from Asus, like this one : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-GX800VH-Notebook-Preview.171399.0.html

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

DMKano said:

Sorry

And perhaps that person couldn't give a fuck about the pc that stomps it. You choose your PC and they choose this laptop, choice is a wonderful thing.

I think what is causing the cost to be so high is the SSD size and the quality of the display. I've been hawking Xotic PC and Alienware waiting to see a decent laptop with a 1070 that has a 90%-100% Apple RGB display. Not gonna happen it seems.

Also why are these manufacturers so hell bent on making these "slim" laptops when they KNOW the heat will be a serious problem? I have yet to see a laptop with a 1080 in it that doesn't look like a battleship (for good reason).

Cutting Edge Thermal Design
    Pushing the boundaries of performance in a thin form factor design requires a super-efficient thermal management solution to keep the heat at bay. To survive the heat of the most graphically intense battles, the Razer Blade Pro utilizes an innovative custom cooling design. Dynamic heat exchange coupled with bleeding edge vapor chamber technology spreads heat out quickly, evenly and efficiently. To avoid “hot spots” an internal fan facilitates air movement within the chassis to deliver a cool and comfortable experience, whether you’re gaming on ultra-settings in 4K or rendering high resolution 3D animations.

Making laptops extra thin adds quite a bit to the price tag.  Razer also likes to charge a premium.

Nvidia has gotten a lot more aggressive about throttling back clock speeds based on the temperature, to the degree that it now happens quite a bit even in a well-cooled desktop.  It's quite possible that the GTX 1080M in the Razer laptop won't have much in the way of overheating to kill hardware problems, but instead will just throttle far more aggressively so that it gets 80%-90% of the gaming performance of the otherwise identical card in better cooled laptops.

Have you contacted vendors to ask about the exact monitor specs on the other laptops?  It wouldn't be surprising if they're exactly the same monitor as in the Razer laptop.  They might not be, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    IceAge said:
    lol @Quizzical

Raid 0 it's a bad idea? Right...

Actually wrong, but not going to start a debate with you on this one.

And btw , just build an exact same laptop on that site you gave , and the total is 4.2k - 3% discount and that will be around 4k and some $. The only difference ( and a good one ) it's the CPU. 6700k is around 25%+ better then 6700hq and I really don't know why they went with 6700hq.

Anyway , if I had that cash , 100% would not buy a Clevo laptop. Yes, I will pay more for the brand, because for me, brand is a pretty big "player" when I am buying my parts/laptop/etc. And I also don't like MSI . But that's just me !

My pick will be without questions something from Asus, like this one : http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-GX800VH-Notebook-Preview.171399.0.html
    The trouble with RAID 0 is that if either SSD fails, all of your data is gone.  Two SSDs rather than one doubles your chances of failure right off the bat.  Sticking them in a hot laptop doesn't help matters, though that probably doesn't make very much of a difference.  And then there is a significant chance that even if both SSDs are completely fine, something goes wonky with the RAID array anyway.  Integrated RAID controllers had problems with SSDs in their early days, and it wouldn't be shocking if they don't handle high-throughput M.2 SSDs in RAID 0 very well just yet.

Meanwhile, the performance benefit for consumer use is basically that you get higher numbers in some synthetic benchmarks and that's about it.  Maybe you want RAID 0 if you're recording high resolution, uncompressed video, but that's about it as consumer uses go.

Asus only intermittent builds laptops that go after the high end.  From your link, it looks like they're back in that market this generation.  It's a bit of a stretch to call that form factor a laptop, but that's fine for the business traveler playing games in hotels after work crowd.

Both of my links above came to about $3200 or so with the specs I said.  I'm not sure how you added another $1000 to it.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    The term "gaming laptop"  makes about as much sense as rustproof bacon. Anyone who has ever tried to game on a laptop knows how well it works. I could build a really nice gaming desktop and still have enough money to buy a decent laptop what will run games, but certainly wouldn't be my main gaming machine. Laptops are nice for watching movies on planes, but until they make chips that run much much cooler and draw less power or improve battery technology drastically, they are not good for gaming. This thing looks like a very overpriced product aimed at people with much money and little sense. 
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

DMKano said:

DMKano said:

Sorry

Maxed out 4096 x 2160 on a 17" - no thanks.

Also what's the noise level when gaming on 4K maxed out on this laptop? Jet turbine?

Also what about heat - gonna get pretty toasty after about 15min of gaming.

The heat, that's the first thing I thought of.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    edited October 2016
    Anyone looked at those pics and thought it was very similar to a MacBook Pro Aluminum case ?

image image imageimage
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    edited October 2016
    Yes but,

1. That's not the Razer Blade Pro
    2. Beyond the keyboard and track pad placement what differences would you expect to be different at that size?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯