Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Surviving v7.1 - Return to Karazhan Patch Preview Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSurviving v7.1 - Return to Karazhan Patch Preview Video

World of Warcraft News - Blizzard has published a new World of Warcraft video called "Surviving 7.1 - Return to Karazhan that gives a brief preview of the upcoming 5-player Karazhan dungeon, the new mini-raid, and the extended Suramar storyline. Check it out and get ready for October 25th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Feels a bit underwhelming for a first major patch.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Looks pretty solid to me. Not even 2 full months into the xpac and this patch gives us: a new 5-man dungeon, new mini-raid, storyline continuation that progresses over the course of 9 weeks, new world quests, new invasion, class balances, alts can jump into WQ's right away at 110. blood of sargeras vendor, etc. And this patch is mainly a bridge between Emerald Nightmare and Nighthold.
  • ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Hm. So if this is right, that means that the Nighthold -isn't- part of the base Legion release, since 7.1 is slated to come out soon, which will be adding more Suramar story (Probably leading up to Nighthold). The mini-raid will also be coming out soon, which means that the 7.1 raid will be released before the second raid that was said to be part of the game itself.

Which if you then think of the 'new' content, the new raid is composed apparently of areas and bosses we've seen before, as well as Karazhan is an updated version of the old Karazhan, but we went into the 'new' karazhan in the Legion Pre-patch, so even that was already being worked on extensively.

Granted, its still new content, but it -is- rehashed and likely been being worked on prior to Legions launch, so I think moving on to 7.2 and forward will be more of a sign of how they're actually able to make new things, or if they're going to more go for this kind of reusing things to complete and add new things in that general vein (Which given we've already been to the broken shore, and its currently a place, if somewhat meaningless, that will probably be the next Tanaan Jungle, which again...Broken Shore was used even in pre-patch.)
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Shaiapouf said:
    Hm. So if this is right, that means that the Nighthold -isn't- part of the base Legion release, since 7.1 is slated to come out soon, which will be adding more Suramar story (Probably leading up to Nighthold). The mini-raid will also be coming out soon, which means that the 7.1 raid will be released before the second raid that was said to be part of the game itself.

Which if you then think of the 'new' content, the new raid is composed apparently of areas and bosses we've seen before, as well as Karazhan is an updated version of the old Karazhan, but we went into the 'new' karazhan in the Legion Pre-patch, so even that was already being worked on extensively.

Granted, its still new content, but it -is- rehashed and likely been being worked on prior to Legions launch, so I think moving on to 7.2 and forward will be more of a sign of how they're actually able to make new things, or if they're going to more go for this kind of reusing things to complete and add new things in that general vein (Which given we've already been to the broken shore, and its currently a place, if somewhat meaningless, that will probably be the next Tanaan Jungle, which again...Broken Shore was used even in pre-patch.)
    We've known for quite some time that Nighthold wasn't going to be in 7.0 or 7.1. Emerald Nightmare was the first raid. Trial of Valor is the in-between mini raid. Nighthold will be after that.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Forgrimm said:
    Looks pretty solid to me. Not even 2 full months into the xpac and this patch gives us: a new 5-man dungeon, new mini-raid, storyline continuation that progresses over the course of 9 weeks, new world quests, new invasion, class balances, alts can jump into WQ's right away at 110. blood of sargeras vendor, etc. And this patch is mainly a bridge between Emerald Nightmare and Nighthold.
    My feeling when I heard that 7.1 would be launched "soon after" Legion is that they pulled some stuff so they could make an August rather than a September launch and decided to push that out "shortly" after launch. Which struck me as a good strategy to keep some people subscribed longer.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

gervaise1 said:

Forgrimm said:

My feeling when I heard that 7.1 would be launched "soon after" Legion is that they pulled some stuff so they could make an August rather than a September launch and decided to push that out "shortly" after launch. Which struck me as a good strategy to keep some people subscribed longer.

Guys like you needs to reaaaally understand how a "road-table" looks like in the dev's office. I mean, based on your theory , they should never release content after an expansion, because then, conspiracy theories will start coming .

Here, en'light yourself : http://www.athleticinsight.com/Vol9Iss4/Table5FourYearPrep.jpg

Not games related but you can make an idea!

Or let me just give you an exemple :

Blizzard Office January 2015 :

Head WoW Dev : Guys, this is the road-map for Legion

January - December 2015 -> Start/Finish the Alpha Legion
    January - August 2016 -> Start internal/alpha - Make Adjustments based on internal/alpha/closed beta Tests
    January - August 2016 -> Team 2 -> Start working for After-Legion content
    August 2016 -> IS THE FUCKING LEGION DONE???
    August - October 2016 -> Team 2 -> After-Legion Internal Test / Adjustments / Fix THE FUCKING BUGS
    October 2016 -> TEAM 2? WHERE IS MY PATCH???

/andso-on

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Same rehashed content... not complaining at least its for free....
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    cagan said:
    Sounds like complaining to me, everyone is ungrateful at anything Blizzard does to WoW. Yes they saved some time from using Karazhan as a dungeon, but you can't say rehashed if they added all new bosses / mechanics / textures / changed the layout. I'm glad to get a new dungeon this soon, it's been since cata they actually added a new dungeon after the expansion dropped.
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    cagan said:
    Sounds like complaining to me, everyone is ungrateful at anything Blizzard does to WoW. Yes they saved some time from using Karazhan as a dungeon, but you can't say rehashed if they added all new bosses / mechanics / textures / changed the layout. I'm glad to get a new dungeon this soon, it's been since cata they actually added a new dungeon after the expansion dropped.
    I am not resubbing any more, sub just ran out 2 days ago and it is naxxramas all over again, same place some new areas and some new bosses. The place is quite good but feels very dated after all these years.
    No more collecting rat tails for me...well, demon tails after legion.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    cagan said:
    cagan said:
    I am not resubbing any more, sub just ran out 2 days ago and it is naxxramas all over again, same place some new areas and some new bosses. The place is quite good but feels very dated after all these years.
    Everyone keeps raving about the story, am I the only one that thinks this is some of the dumbest lore to date?
    cagan said:
    cagan said:
    Everyone keeps raving about the story, am I the only one that thinks this is some of the dumbest lore to date?
    Even though the Legion is supposed to be the "supreme evil" or whatever in WoW, its always been boring to me. I loved WotLK because Arthas was a well designed villian in my opinion. Even the conflict in half of WoD was pretty good because there wasn't a real "evil" but more of a string of choices leading to different paths. I guess one of the biggest disconnects for me with the Legion as a whole is Gul'dan. He feels like too 'good' of a character to be a servant (good as in well designed character) in the end and if he's honestly not just some servant in the end, they are really taking a long road to get to whatever they have planned for him. The Illidian stuff was great for what I did of it before unsubbing, but honestly that was the only highlight I had out of everything.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Albatroes said:
    cagan said:
    cagan said:
    Even though the Legion is supposed to be the "supreme evil" or whatever in WoW, its always been boring to me. I loved WotLK because Arthas was a well designed villian in my opinion. Even the conflict in half of WoD was pretty good because there wasn't a real "evil" but more of a string of choices leading to different paths. I guess one of the biggest disconnects for me with the Legion as a whole is Gul'dan. He feels like too 'good' of a character to be a servant (good as in well designed character) in the end and if he's honestly not just some servant in the end, they are really taking a long road to get to whatever they have planned for him. The Illidian stuff was great for what I did of it before unsubbing, but honestly that was the only highlight I had out of everything.
    It really bothers me that they brought back the long dead character Gul' dan. I know why they did it so they could pump up that god awful movie, but it really has been a silly character to try to insert into the story at this point. 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Legion's story is a mess -- we were 'teased' with the whole Sylvanas - Genn storyline that peters out in the earliest part of Stormheim and, honestly, it's a stupid storyline to begin with. No competent military leader would go off on a bender for revenge in the middle of what we're told (and so are they) is the most dangerous world-ending event in history. The Illidan storyline is facepalmingly bad. Painting him as this noble character by his waifu is just horrid writing.

The exception to these bad stories is the Suramar storyline that's fairly interesting and logical (as much as can be said in any fantasy game).

7.1 just isn't enough for me. 9 more weeks of "story" in Suramar -- meaning a 15 minute quest once a week and then world quests the rest of the time. Hardly anything new. More quests to follow Helya's story that lead to....more world quests. The grind this expansion for AP and reputation is horrendous and until they make massive changes to the RNG and PvP systems, I'll be a part-time subscriber.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited October 2016

cagan said:

cagan said:

Depends on what you consider a good story? For WoW standards I suppose it's solid. However compare it with either ESO or SWTOR and you quickly realize it's garbage MMO writing yet again.

As for this update it's selfie patch all over again. Apart from that mini-raid, I don't really see any new content.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited October 2016
    SBFord said:
    7.1 just isn't enough for me. 9 more weeks of "story" in Suramar -- meaning a 15 minute quest once a week and then world quests the rest of the time. Hardly anything new. More quests to follow Helya's story that lead to....more world quests. The grind this expansion for AP and reputation is horrendous and until they make massive changes to the RNG and PvP systems, I'll be a part-time subscriber.
    Good to know you like "free things handed to you because you are a cool mmo player and grinding in a MMO is .. not part of the mmo" , right ?

Wrong! 

I enjoy a lot more the RNG for a legendary ( for exemple ) then a stupid ass boring 2-4 weeks long quest chain , which at the end will be like " Ok .. here is your legendary , enjoy " !  

Seems people bring the "we are all equal" bullshit in MMO's too ! Well no, we are not equal ( like it or not ) . I am not equal to Bill Gates for exemple. Yes, we are both humans but .. DIFFERENT humans! Same goes in MMO's too. Yes, we are both players, but one might play 10 hours a day , and I play 1 hour , so in the end I just CAN'T ask to have the same as that guy who plays 10 hours a day! Actually, this RNG helps the causal players more then the hardcore ones. But you don't actually understand this. Is ok! You are a mmo player and you understand how RNG works! 

Hope nobody misses you in WoW !

PS: Actually, I just re-read your above QQ. It seems that :

1) You hate the long quests , story quests, short quests, grind quests
    2) You hate the RNG
    3) Why you play MMO's ?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2016
    IceAge said:
    SBFord said:

2) You hate the RNG
    3) Why you play MMO's ?
    *shrugs*

It's not QQ, it's more lamenting the fact that the story through quests isn't presented very well at this point in Legion and that's what keeps me invested in the game alongside viable mostly balanced fun PvP. Those things are pretty well missing at the moment. So until they get a better handle  on PvP balance, I'll take a break for the time being. RNG is fine as long as it's not RNG couched inside more RNG. I don't raid and have no interest in having top gear, but to have fun and to feel that my character progresses. At 855, with a 2/3rds completed artifact and a (mostly useless) 895 legendary neck, I'm content with iLevel, though as a BDK tank, she has a ton of well-known and documented issues performing adequately beyond Mythic 2 which would be nice.

Honestly, no need to be insulting. If you're having fun and are enjoying yourself right now, that's fantastic. But don't discount opinions that differ from yours and please do not assume you know even one thing about me or the type of player I am or the amount of time I have to invest in any game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454
    IceAge needs to chill out. There's tons of styles to MMO's. Just because SBFord isn't enjoying the current iteration of WoW doesn't make her 'wrong'. The fact that you are reacting that salty to some fair criticism doesn't reflect well on you.

All that said, I am still enjoying WoW, but pretty much only because I have an awesome heroic raiding guild I roll with.
    edited October 2016
    SBFord said:
    IceAge said:
    SBFord said:

2) You hate the RNG
    3) Why you play MMO's ?
    *shrugs*

It's not QQ, it's more lamenting the fact that the story through quests isn't presented very well at this point in Legion and that's what keeps me invested in the game alongside viable mostly balanced fun PvP. Those things are pretty well missing at the moment. So until they get a better handle  on PvP balance, I'll take a break for the time being. RNG is fine as long as it's not RNG couched inside more RNG. I don't raid and have no interest in having top gear, but to have fun and to feel that my character progresses. At 855, with a 2/3rds completed artifact and a (mostly useless) 895 legendary neck, I'm content with iLevel, though as a BDK tank, she has a ton of well-known and documented issues performing adequately beyond Mythic 2 which would be nice.

Honestly, no need to be insulting. If you're having fun and are enjoying yourself right now, that's fantastic. But don't discount opinions that differ from yours and please do not assume you know even one thing about me or the type of player I am or the amount of time I have to invest in any game.
    The Mother Theresa's of this game will always be strong. People said that WoD was the best thing since BC for them and that turned out well. I'm starting to think that Blizzard just has a designated Theresa team that goes around just saying "WoW is only getting better guys. This is the best exp since BC."
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    SBFord said:
    IceAge said:
    SBFord said:

2) You hate the RNG
    3) Why you play MMO's ?
    *shrugs*

I didn't like what they did to Azeroth in cata with the world and removing quests chains.  I wish games would bring back some long quest chains.  It keeps me going.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"