Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corsair K70 LUX RGB: A Stellar Upgrade for Every Gamer (But Especially Customization Lovers!) a Hard

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageCorsair K70 LUX RGB: A Stellar Upgrade for Every Gamer (But Especially Customization Lovers!) a Hardware Reviews at MMORPG.com

RGB is all the rage in gaming peripherals these days. Corsair recently refreshed their flagship RGB keyboard with the K70 LUX RGB, an update that changes enlarges the font on the keys and replaces the RGB controller with a more advanced version. Does Corsair still reign supreme in the RGB keyboard space? We sent Chris to find out.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Sorry. I fundamentally cannot pay $160 for a keyboard. Even if it has lots of shiny lights.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited October 2016
    Sorry. I fundamentally cannot pay $160 for a keyboard. Even if it has lots of shiny lights.
    Yeah, pretty much this, but lights are cool.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I bought a G710 with Cherry MX blue switches for $50 last helldeath Friday at my local Best Buy.  It's originally $150, but I would never lay that much down for it.
  • VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Ducky Shine 5 with Nature White Cherry MX switches. Granted, it was expensive, I really like it.

-Verenath-

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Yeah, there is no way around the steep price point. Believe it or not, though, when you're going into a mechanical keyboard, you're typically looking at $80 minimum if it has authentic Cherry keyswitches and usually $120 or so for a known brand. This price point isn't that much higher than other "gaming" grade mechanicals with Cherry switches and offers more customization than virtually anything else out there.

The other side to that price point is that the keys are rated for 50 million presses each, which means they will far, far outlast an average rubber dome board. And they are just so much nicer to type on.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

H0urg1ass said:

I bought a G710 with Cherry MX blue switches for $50 last helldeath Friday at my local Best Buy.  It's originally $150, but I would never lay that much down for it.

The version with brown switches was my first ever mechanical! Loved that keyboard.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    If you are attempting to gain every possible advantage in competitive gaming, cherry switches are worth it. However, it can be had for about half the cost of this keyboard. Personally I try to trim out all the lights I can. I do not need LED lights on my PC fans. I do not need illuminated logos on my mouse and I know where the keys are on my keyboard without them being illuminated.

must.have.g.keys :)

Check out the K95. It is pretty much made for MMOs and has *18* dedicated macro keys. In all honesty, though... I went into my first K70 with the same concern you have and the profile switching pretty much alleviated the need for them. I do wish there were a middle-ground model between the K70 with 0 dedicated macro keys and the K95 with 18.

Verenath said:

Ducky Shine 5 with Nature White Cherry MX switches. Granted, it was expensive, I really like it.

I have heard nothing but glowing things about the Ducky Shines! I would love to have one some day.

Jyiiga said:

If you are attempting to gain every possible advantage in competitive gaming, cherry switches are worth it. However, it can be had for about half the cost of this keyboard. Personally I try to trim out all the lights I can. I do not need LED lights on my PC fans. I do not need illuminated logos on my mouse and I know where the keys are on my keyboard without them being illuminated.

To each their own. I get your perspective, and if you drop fancy lighting, there are definitely cheaper points of entry into the mechanical market. I actually don't do anything more than static backlighting and reactive typing during normal use. Too many flashes can be distracting. It's fun to experiment and see what other people are making, and can just look fantastic when you're just browsing or leave the computer on.
    edited October 2016
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    OhhPaigey said:
    Yeah, pretty much this, but lights are cool.
    Well, you can use customized lighting to show you the keys of the game you are playing. Movement keys in one and so on. I tried a GW2 key set for example...

I have the regular version, great keyboard (particularly the cord, those tend to be the weak points of many keyboards).

Loke recommends.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I tried to hammer one of these into my laptop......but it didn't work out. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    edited October 2016
    THIS is a gaming keyboard: image That thing you reviewed there, its just a regular WASD keyboard with shiny lights on it.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Am I the only one thinking those shining rainbow lights are horrible?

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I don't even game on a keyboard anymore.  I bought a Logitech G13 about five years ago and I've never looked back.  It's so damned comfortable that using a keyboard now feels like a medieval torture device on my fingers and wrist.

It took about two hours to get used to using, and another 2-3 hours when I decided to macro all of my MMO commands and walk with the thumbstick, but yet again, it was worth it.  If there's a powerup that makes an attack hit harder, then I simply macro that powerup to the button that pushes the attack key.  In most MMO's every button I push is also doing things like clicking my powerups.  If I have heal potions and defensive abilities, then I have a "save me" button that macros health potions, shields and any other defense abilities into one key.

It's super great for EVE because each module on my ship is bound to a different key with a shift key to overheat.  This way I'm not clicking on tiny little dots on my screen in the heat of combat.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I just inherited a Logitech G710 from my brother that is 1 month old cause he already upgraded to a Corsair K70. Saved me a lot of money...finally upgraded to mechanical from a G510 (not even an s model). I love mechanicals now and plan do some some upgrading to the keyboard like adding a reflective backing under the keys and replacing the LEDs with some RGB ones and doing some rewiring and soldering.

Am I the only one thinking those shining rainbow lights are horrible?

They give an "oh wow" first impression, but I found them too gaudy and distracting to actually use. My wife likes them enough to keep them set, though!

THIS is a gaming keyboard:

That thing you reviewed there, its just a regular WASD keyboard with shiny lights on it.

I completely disagree. That keyboard is gimmicky, IMHO. The defining factor of a gaming keyboard is it's programmability and responsiveness.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I have been looking around for a good keyboard, but most of the gaming keyboards seem to put a lot of focus on lighting (which I'm not interested in).

Another problem for me is that no stores where I live have these on display to try out, and mechanical keys are really different from membrane, and compared to each other. The logitec 610 looks pretty good- but even that is $150, which would be quite a waste if I ended up hating the keys.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    There are a ton of under $100 keyboards that are backlit,  Just do not see what the price premium gives you.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

I would say buy the black and white one that is around 80 bucks.. but mine just died, out of the blue, after 6 months.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited October 2016
    I never bought one of these fancy keyboards and always went with the cheapos for 10eur.

When i started gaming i was too impulsive and smashed too many keyboards to invest into these expensive Cherrys back then.

Nowadays i don't buy one because i still prefer old school white. I don't want to have one of these huge black planks infront of me.
    I did not really go into all this, but so far the few white mechanicals that i have seen either lack a numpad, come with switches i have never heard of or are from a company i have never heard of -and still they all cost like 120+.

Switches seems to be a science on it's own. There are so many different types and all are supposed to give you a different "click" and feeling and to be "better" then the next one.
    Literally everyone i know who bought a mechanical keyboard bought another one soon after, because they all felt like a different kind of switch would bring even more improvement. Or they didn't like the click after a week or two.
     None of them settled down with their first 80eur keyboard and so the investment into this shot through the roof over time and eventually hit the 200eur mark for some.