Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

www.SWGCHOICE.com

Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

This is a re-post by one of our developers on our boards.  For all to enjoy!!

New Planet: Taanab

Post by Takhomasak » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:39 pm

This will be on the SWG Choice test server soon!

I am very pleased to announce that my current project, Taanab, has reached a stage where it needs to be tested by other players. My files will be available by this weekend (for anyone to download). I am working with SWG Choice to implement it here, as well as continue to develop it, as well as other new planets and zones.

Taanab is found on the original game discs from 2003. It was pink, and unfinished. There were only tall white rock spires and thousands of identical, ugly bushes. There were random, angular rivers scattered across the entire map, and tall white buttes full of sharp cuts and spires.

I have tamed that martian-esque wilderness and created what I believe to be a more appropriate representation of Taanab, from old Expanded Universe lore and sources. It is a green planet of wide, rolling plains, and low, young forests, and no indigenous wildlife. Invasive species include Robas, Banthas, Ambrian Staga, and the Nerf. It is in the Inner Rim, but out of the Galactic Civil War. Taanab is sparsely populated (by Earth standards), full of farmers and ranchers locked in a constant struggle against the invading Norulac raiders. It still manages to produce enough organic supplies to be a regular stop on the trade routes.

Here's what Taanab features: (some may be subject to last-minute change)

> A brand new, full sized planet to explore. Even if you've been to the unfinished Taanab, you've never seen this.

> One new NPC City - Pandath Spaceport.

> Two new creature types - Ambrian Staga, and Nerf (tamable).

> One new NPC type - Norulac Raider.

> Five new exploration badges: Arcon Multinode Hybrid Plantings, Pandath Spaceport, The Great Herds (...Nerf Herds), Taanab Mining Facility, Taanab Shipwreck.

> Two new dungeons - Norulac Raider Cave, Black Sun Shipwreck.

> Missions appropriate for intermediate to advanced players. Help is always needed with eliminating the pesky and dangerous Grassland Nerfs, Crazed Robas, and Feral Banthas. High level Norulac Raider missions may require a group to acquire.

> Brand new local creature resources.

> Some great views, a nice beach, good camping and fishing at the lake. massive herds of animals roaming the range, impressive man-made canals and river canyons, my custom-designed hexagonal farms - and also two of the deadlier dungeons in the game!

Technical:

> Full integration into game systems.

> 99% based upon existing SWG assets (a few re-colored Taanab-specific textures, and a few new UI textures).

> "Drag and drop" ready for unmodified SWGEMU-based servers. No code changes, just a bin folder and a TRE.

I have spent a great deal of time learning to do this, and then actually doing it, really over the past two years. Work began on this specific project three weeks ago, specifically for the Choice server. I am releasing it to the public because SWGEMU in general needs new content. I am planning on making many more wonderful things in the near future. For Choice and the public community as a whole. Galaxies is my favorite game, and has been since the first day I played. Nothing has ever come close.

Special thanks to Sytner for the IFF Editor tool, and for custom-generating the planetary map for me!
    I also used GIMP for my image editing, Notepad++, and the Zonamadev SWGEMU Developer Environment.

I will post pictures here (tomorrow)-----------------

Pictures will be on our board.  All are welcome to come test this completely new development.  You will need a "legal copy" (old disks, steam download, etc) of Star Wars Galaxies, download our launcher, and it will do the rest.  SWGCHOICE is very pleased to bring this to you.

Comments

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Goood Luck  with this  =)

Hope it works out for you and the people able to play

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
       Interesting. I hope EA doesn't get bent some random day and send out SWG emu hosts with cease and desist letters. They already shut one project down on Steam that was f2p.
      SWG Bloodfin vet
      Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
      Grimula said:

Goood Luck  with this  =)

Hope it works out for you and the people able to play

For all those that don't have their disks, there are places you can still get them.  Check out our boards, thread of "legal copy of the game" for links where they are for sale.  Just remember that JTL will not work as it's just the expansion and not the base game.  More info in the above referenced thread.
    • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
      Tiller said:
       Interesting. I hope EA doesn't get bent some random day and send out SWG emu hosts with cease and desist letters. They already shut one project down on Steam that was f2p.
      If there was a version on steam that was F2P, then I can't blame EA for shutting it down.  No one has the right to make money off their game.  Now if the emu is completely free with no money being asked by those hosting it.  Then I don't see a problem.
    • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
      Tiller said:
      If there was a version on steam that was F2P, then I can't blame EA for shutting it down.  No one has the right to make money off their game.  Now if the emu is completely free with no money being asked by those hosting it.  Then I don't see a problem.
      It wasn't an emulator of swg and they weren't making money. It was a fan project based on Battlefront called Galaxy in Turmoil.
      SWG Bloodfin vet
      Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
      edited November 2016

I don't believe that EA has much to say about SWG and I am well aware that they have a license from the mouse for Star Wars games, signed a year or 2 after TOR came out.  However, the agreements for SWG proceeded the EA contract and there is plenty of info where LA made public statements that SWG and TOR could run concurrently. 

The original development studio was SOE and these servers do not use any of the SOE server side code.  SWGEMU, when they started, went to SOE and LA and gained permissions to re-make the game based on developers at EMU (and all the other servers now) creating their own code and using the SOE client.   Another part of that agreement is no money changes hands.   Players must have a legal copy of the game to play, even on our server.  I have posted links where the CDs are still available so players can comply with this.  Interesting to note that due to the interest in SWG and emulators, the prices have went up a bit to that of about the new games coming out now.  SWGEMU, last year came up with an AGPL license and permissions which released the 2.5 hr re-sets, our server was accepted by SWGEMU, and we operate under that license and under those conditions. 

Daybreak (formerly SOE) has gone farther than that and embraced emulators.