Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Revenue Model Shifts in China - Now Subscription-Based

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageRevenue Model Shifts in China - Now Subscription-Based

World of Warcraft News - NetEase and Blizzard have shifted the revenue model for World of Warcraft in China. Up to the shift, Chinese players paid in hour-by-hour increments. With the launch of the Legion expansion, Chinese players are now required to pay a monthly subscription up front in order to play. NetEase brought in $37M in August compared to only $8M in July, presumably as a result of the change in revenue generation.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Smart move and proof once again that the sub model continues to work, regardless of region.
    Especially if it works in China by such a huge margin after a long history of hour-based game play. Pretty astonishing revenue boost from month-to-month with the new model.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SBFord said:
    Smart move and proof once again that the sub model continues to work, regardless of region.
    Especially if it works in China by such a huge margin after a long history of hour-based game play. Pretty astonishing revenue boost from month-to-month with the new model.
    It will be interesting to see the numbers six months down the road. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Just because it works in Asia doesn't mean it will work in the west. What game in the west has an hourly charge to play it? None, because that won't work in the west just like monthly subs don't work as well as they used to. Everything is either F2P or B2P with an optional sub for some games. Sub only games die quickly and don't get that big release boost from the cash shop like other games do. The sub only model is dead in the west and won't be returning. 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Compared to hourly charges, the subscription rates must seem like a godsend to the Chinese player.  I'd even venture so far as to suggest that there will be individuals trying to play every hour in the month, just to achieve the absolute minimum cost per hour rate.  Oppressive mandatory rate replaced by a lesser mandatory rate yields more customers, thus more revenue.  If that's not BUS 101, it should be.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited September 2016
    donger56 said:
    Just because it works in Asia doesn't mean it will work in the west. What game in the west has an hourly charge to play it? None, because that won't work in the west just like monthly subs don't work as well as they used to. Everything is either F2P or B2P with an optional sub for some games. Sub only games die quickly and don't get that big release boost from the cash shop like other games do. The sub only model is dead in the west and won't be returning. 
    You have some valid points. But things we think are dead, never to return have a way of coming back.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Well, it works for World of Warcraft. Not so much all the new MMOs that go f2p within a year.

Also, this was a change from an hourly price model - the most archaic, unfriendly business model possible, which died alongside AOL.
    Aeander said:
    Well, it works for World of Warcraft. Not so much all the new MMOs that go f2p within a year.

Also, this was a change from an hourly price model - the most archaic, unfriendly business model possible, which died alongside AOL.
    The F2P cash shop model supports a shit load of mediocre games.

Only the very rare few will become Rock Stars, although countless numbers will try.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    laserit said:
    donger56 said:
    You have some valid points. But things we think are dead, never to return have a way of coming back.

I think a picture of a buggy whip would be more appropriate, @laserit.  Bicycles will last as long as the Olympics keeps including them.

httpbuildingadreamonlinecomwp-contentuploads201511buggy-whipsjpg

Well, maybe the buggy whip's fate is tied to the future of Harness racing.  Gambling seems to be pretty healthy, though.  So healthy that it may be eternal.  Maybe even healthier than the Olympics.

You may be right after all, @laserit.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Wonder how many will pass out trying to squeeze as many hours as possible from a sub and refuse to go eat and sleep.
  • TeccaTecca Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Wonder how many will pass out trying to squeeze as many hours as possible from a sub and refuse to go eat and sleep.
    I see it as a way for more of them to relax and not worry as much about using every minute to its fullest potential. Hourly payments would make me play that way, monthly sub would make me feel like I have all the time in the world. 
    laserit said:
    Aeander said:

Only the very rare few will become Rock Stars, although countless numbers will try.
    Even if I grant you that, "very few" has looked suspiciously like "none" this past decade. And none of this none has remained a subscription title.
    Aeander said:
    laserit said:
    Aeander said:

Even if I grant you that, "very few" has looked suspiciously like "none" this past decade. And none of this none has remained a subscription title.
    IMHO when it comes to this genre. The industry is putting too much focus in one area while neglecting the most important things.

The cash shop with RNG model will run its course. That's not to say that it will mark the return of the subscription model, but something will take its place.

Automation will change and is changing many aspects of our economies. The games industry included.

laserit said:
    Aeander said:
    laserit said:
    Aeander said:

IMHO when it comes to this genre. The industry is putting too much focus in one area while neglecting the most important things.

The cash shop with RNG model will run its course. That's not to say that it will mark the return of the subscription model, but something will take its place.

Automation will change and is changing many aspects of our economies. The games industry included.

I don't think anything will take its place. I think what we'll see in the long term is a diversification of models due to an excess of competition. F2p, b2p, and p2p all feed into eachother and provide a spectrum of options for players. Maybe we'll even see uncommon models like company-wide subscriptions or new things like integration into general subscriptions (like Amazon Prime) or f2p with ingame ads. Certainly, I don't support the last of these for immersion purposes, but I expect more experimentation will happen on the business side of things.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Been saying the sub model is more than viable for years and years, it just took patience to watch the main market wise up to F2P and burn out on it at their own speed and start to catch up with what I and others have been saying.

The F2P carpet bagging bubble was just the VCs cashing in, they never gave a crap about us as consumers or gamers.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    laserit said:
    donger56 said:

I totally wan to buy that bike!!!!!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

This already happened under the old model... In fact, the most famous cases of things like this came from countries that pretty much only ran the old model. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I don't think this is proof that the sub model is viable at all. What it does prove is that the sub model is more profitable than the F2P model....... if you have enough players to support it. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited September 2016
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    donger56 said:

Retro is in, you can go and buy one.

I'm personally waiting for the banana seat with the stick shift between the balls ;)

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146

donger56 said:

Well, none has an hourly charge now. But years ago Neverwinter Nights from AOL had an hourly charge and it was a very popular game. EverQuest was reported to be going with hourly charge but then decided to switch to monthly.
    CrazKanuk said:
    I don't think this is proof that the sub model is viable at all. What it does prove is that the sub model is more profitable than the F2P model....... if you have enough players to support it. 
    The same is true for any model

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    The same is true for any model

Yeah it definitely is. The difficulty is that WoW is being used as an example of how the subscription model is still viable when they probably, and it wouldn't be that far a stretch, have 10 times the number of subscribers as all other subscription games combined, lol. WoW is an anomaly. It's like a Russian judge who gives the Russian skater 10/10 even though she fell 10 times. That's why the Olympics throws these scores out :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    If a game is good it's worth a sub model. But expect no cash shop items at all in the game. 0!
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:
    donger56 said:

Retro is in, you can go and buy one.

I'm personally waiting for the banana seat with the stick shift between the balls ;)
    They only look retro. They're not built retro. So people like the look of what was. That's about all we can conclude from that.
    Er people buy and play games such as Wasteland 2, (Wasteland 3 going out for crowdfunding in fact) and Albion Online (clearly a Diabloesque looking MMO), what conclusion would you draw from that?

Same one I think, some people are still interested in older game designs, but updated for the modern era.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon