Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Credit where credit is due: positive response to community in ESO PTS

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
This is a story about a bug fix of a bug that made more sense than the fixed version... it's not a huge deal but it's a good example of a minor tweak that generates positive PR with minimal effort.

Lightning staves have over time become almost as popular as the fire variety because they splashed damage to all enemies near the main target. It was a good thing that made this an AOE staff useful in PVE for mob packs and boss adds and in PVP as an anti-zerg ability.

The problem? Well the tooltip always said that this AOE splash was only supposed to happen on the last tick of heavy attacks (lightning staves are channeled and do 4 ticks of damage.) Thing was... it was doing splash damage on all ticks.

So one of the minor changes in the PTS was that they fixed this bug so it would only do the splash damage on the last tick. The problem with this is that those main targets when under attack tend to move (and so do nearby enemies reacting to the attack on their friend:) either towards you or in some other direction and by the time the last tick happens they are usually away from the pack resulting in no splash damage at all.

This sparked several threads on the PTS forum with most people pointing out that the old bugged version actually made more sense and made lightning staves desirable whereas the fixed version made them virtually useless again.

So this morning Rich Lambert posted a preview of a few changes coming in the next patch for the PTS. Among the changes was this:

• "Tri Focus: Reverted the bug fix that caused Shock Heavy Attacks to not splash damage to nearby enemies during the entire channeled attack. The tooltip of Tri Focus has been updated to reflect this change. This one is similar to the movement speed issue. The original design was the splash damage would only hit on the last tick. We fixed a bug where this wasn't happening and after feedback and evaluation we decided to change the design and revert the fix."

Nice change based on feedback.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    That is kind of amazing actually. A lot of dev's get very bullheaded about changing things they have spent time working on.

Having them just say hey you are right and put it back...really amazing to me.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    that is a neat, good news story!   I don't personally use the lightening staff because I often hide in the water in pvp Cryodiil and don't want to electrocute myself.

Sz   :)