Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you replay games often?

BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
edited September 2016 in General Gaming
Having finished Dragon's Dogma Biiter Black Island (No spoilers don't worry) while still being level 100 of 200 I couldn't see a point of continuing or new game+ when I'd be doing the same thing again just harder. Now that game is very good in my opinion but I couldn't feel like making a new game+ at that moment. Same for Dark Souls games.

I have replayed games in the past notably the Metro Series as imo it's very very good, Dead Space 1/2, Clive Barker's Jericho and some other. Usually months/years pass and nostalgia and boredom hits me. When I replay a game and I know where to go and what to do it cheapens the enjoyment in my eyes. Last week I attempted to replay Dark Souls as I haven't gone in all the DLC places last time I played. While giving it another go I already knew that picking the master key in character creation would make me very strong in the beginning by grabbing the sword next to the undead dragon. I kinda paused the progress for now due to this.

So do you replay games often or do something else?

My something else is trying to find similar games to play. Now there aren't really many games that are similar to Dark Souls and yet alone Dragon's Dogma boss fights so I was kinda in a pickle. After seeing my brother playing the latest Dragon Age Inquisition I bought it and Lords of the Fallen as it's pretty much a souls clone with some twists and gonna try and play them and see what happens.

So far Lords of the Fallen feels like a cheap version of a souls game as the combat is way too slow and sluggish if you use anything but dexterity weapons (Which I'm using as anything else is unbearably slow), tag in enemies that are not hard but bullshit like every new enemy I'm encountering seems to hit so hard that when I block a hit with a shield he takes more than half my stamina bar..... Then there's the big shielded guys that keep on guarding forever and can do some hit combos that kill me from full health with attacks that seem to home on you regardless if you dodge or turn around them. The dodge mechanic is also painfully slow even on light encumbrance....

Anyway that is an off topic rant about not finding a successor to play after finishing a game you love and wanting more of it.

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Probably the same as the others said, depends on how linear the game is.

I would say the types of games I've gone back to the most are probably the Total War games.

I've played through Mass Effect series a couple times.  I've gone back and played the Thief games.  So, I may go back and play even somewhat linear games, depending on how long it's been since I played them.  I don't consider the examples completely linear, though.  Those types of series have different ways to play(or different endings, etc.), so there's at least some replayability there.
    If it's a game I really enjoyed and it's been several years, I may do a replay.

I really don't play all that many games these days, in general, so there isn't much incentive to go back to most games anytime soon;  there's plenty of newer games I've not played at all yet.  Still, whenever I get the urge to play strategy/battles I find myself loading a TW game.

I should probably add, co-op type games are an exception.  If I have someone to play with, I enjoy going back through some co-op games -- ex. Gears of War, etc.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I replay my favorite games but I generally wait 3 years between doing so.  I've played through FF7 3 times now, for example.  I played through the single player campaign of Warcraft 2 twice before I was unable to get my computer to run it; I'd quite like to play that again.  Games that don't have difficulty settings tend to be way too easy the second time through though.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2016
    Depends on how much I enjoyed the game.  If I really like a RPG or FPS I'll replay it a lot to get every bit of enjoyment I can out of it or games with multiple endings I'll play to get the different endings.  

One thing I'll do sometimes is buy a game, play it for like five mins. then won't touch it for years.  I'll come back to it and play it like there's no tomorrow.

MMO's I'll come back to when they have new content that looks good.  

I'm really thinking a monthly fee to play games may work out better but it would have to include new games and not just old ones.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    My backlog says I do it too much! The ones I replayed the most: Pirates!, Dune II and Police quest. Don't worry newer games also get replays!

Over a year I'll probably do at least 3 replays sometimes they can be lengthy.
    The last one was Final Fantasy 7, which was about 76 hours... probably the 6th or 7th time I finished the game from start to finish.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Yes I do. I also finished Dragon's dogma including the black island. I understand that if you go through again the "end boss" is a bit different" so it could be worth it. But I"m keen on doing the entire thing again.

If a game is good I can play it over and over again for years.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RolanderskyRolandersky Member CommonPosts: 2
    I replayed FF1 and triying to pass the game with 4 white mage. Its cool cause there is a dungeon with a lot of undead so I think progression will go faster. It slow at the beginning ......
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Sure, all the time. FF7 through at least 10 times. I'm thinking about playing through Amberstar(owned it on amiga) again. Doesn't have great graphics but the game is awesome.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Single player games almost never get a replay out of me with very few exceptions like the Splinter Cell series.  Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Batman, Mass Effect... all of these types of titles get a single run-through and then I'm off to find another one.

Honestly, I have a dozen or so titles that were so mind numbing that I never even finished them.  Just 20 or so hours in and I'm done.

It's multiplayer that really snares me.  I have ridiculous amounts of hours in games like World of Tanks, CoD Multiplayer, and a couple of MMO's.  When I'm playing with, or especially against, human opponents, that's where the real challenge is for me.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    There's a lot of games I finish then stop when the expansion starts.  For example I have Witcher 3 and the expansion but I never even started the expansion.  I do that with a lot of games for some reason.  And 90% of the time when I beat a game I never return.  
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Sovrath said:
    Yes I do. I also finished Dragon's dogma including the black island. I understand that if you go through again the "end boss" is a bit different" so it could be worth it. But I"m keen on doing the entire thing again.

If a game is good I can play it over and over again for years.
    There are indeed new bosses in the second run of the bitter black island I can confirm you that.

I was trying to reach the vendor in the first "safe zone" and was attacked by a lightning dragon which if you played the game you know it has never showed up. I won't spoil anything if you haven't tried it yet tough.

My real pet peeve was that I was playing the game as strider and I really wanted to try mystic knight as endgame is quite hard without something magical in your attacks. To do that however at level 100 after being getting almost all vocations to rank 10 would be kinda a waste as I don't really enjoy the mage classes due to their abysmal long cast time on spells. To use the mystic knight you need some magic damage too so I'd kinda have to either from level 100 till 200 stay as mage then switch, play a gimped mystic knight or restart the game which I'd rather not.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Usually I replay games not only for the nostalgia factor but because I couldn't find similar games to play.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I dont think any of my games that I play have a defined 'ending' so yeah. They are more like projects or hobbies then games

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Not as often as I'd love to, or did a couple years ago, but sure, of course I replay my favourites. And as an altoholic, in a sense I replay my main MMOs too :wink:

Beyond the regulars, I used to buy and play old classics from gog and play those, great for nostalgia (last time when they added the Disney I rushed through Aladdin, haven't played it since the '90s :wink: ). But for replaying every year, only very few games left in that bracket... Ragnar is in there, I still replay TLJ and Dreamfall frequently. Vice City too :wink: and the first Mafia.
    The first Deus Ex, Bloodlines, Ultima 4-6 were in there, but now I'd say more like every two years. Plenty of other favourites too, mostly adventures / rpg's.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Only if the gameplay caters to it, such as MMO's, or games that have multiple classes or paths to take.
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I kinda agree with the "linear games", they're pretty much like there's nothing else left to do once you finished it unless your an Achievement hunter (keeps you playing a linear game longer). With that said, this is the main reason why I would rather play Sandbox or micromanagement/simulator games instead. I don't why devs are much more hype in making DLCs instead of Expansions
  • hellokiizuhellokiizu Member UncommonPosts: 14
    i agree @Squishydev yes
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    OLder games I do, the newer ones not so much. I break out the Wizardry and Ultima series a couple times a year and revisit a game or two - usually Wizardry 1 or 8 and Ultima 2 or 9.  Castles 2 has been copied to its eighth computer now, as I find it a great way to kill 20 mins or so. 

Newer RPGs just are annoying to reload, restart, and replay, although I have started up KOAR and a couple of others now and then for nostalgia reasons. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • TheFunky1TheFunky1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Even with really good games I seem to never go back.  Over the years I have returned to WoW and EQ2 and that was simply because of friends or relatives getting back into it first.  Mechwarrior online is a game that has me returning occasionally but the pick up and play aspect with that is different for me and it is my call of duty sort of guilty pleasure. Play it for a day or two and leave it be for a month or more.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I replay games all the time. 

The main reason is I struggle to find new games I enjoy. For example, most games I purchase these days I'll quit after 2 or 3 hours because I'm not enjoying it. Those games I never replay. 

Then there are games which hook me for a week or so, I'll dump 20-30 hours into it but then I'll have a break (e.g. weekend away, business trip etc) and realise the magic's gone. These games I rarely replay, but sometimes I'll revisit them just to actually complete them. FF13 is a good example here - first time I played, I gave up as it was so linear. Then I heard it eventually opens up, so second time I played I pushed through the shit, got to the good bit and enjoyed it. 

Then there are games that seem great the first time through, but the instant I try to replay them I realise they're shit. The KOTOR games are prime example. First time through I was like "Yes! Stars Wars RPG! I get to visit some cool places, become a jedi and kill stuff!". But, on repeat visits they are just so linear, the combat is shit, there is not enough progression, I hate the companions etc. Can't last more than an hour before being bored shitless. 

Then there are actually good games that properly hook me, primarily with gameplay mechanics but occasionally story. These I'll replay over and over. FF7 is high up there (played 5-8 times through), as is Morrowind and Skyrim. DOW2 and other RTS / strategy games are designed for repeat play, so I come back to them a lot. MMOs obviously designed for repeat play, though admittedly I hate alts as I hate the leveling process, so I tend to just repeat endgame. 

• gabesongabeson Member CommonPosts: 2
    I replay my favorite games but I generally wait 3 years between doing so.  I've played through FF7 3 times now, for example.  I played through the single player campaign of Warcraft 2 twice before I was unable to get my computer to run it; I'd quite like to play that again.  Games that don't have difficulty settings tend to be way too easy the second time through though.
    Final Fantasy is awesome!