Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Albion Online--Just Bought It =)

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    ubermut said:
    that post makes it sound like they are going to have to do another beta, same with reading the comments lol.  Really want this game to release already.
    Maybe I didn't spend enough time, but the responses to the more than reasonable changes. . were. . . more than reasonable.  What is happening to MMO communities?!

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited September 2016
    @blueturtle13 TLDR: Is the alignment system going to keep the sheep playing among the wolves? Is there room for crafters and pvers in this game?

Edit: From the link @Deasant posted: Currently, ganking in red zones is too easy, and currently, the balancing values for the crime system are probably a bit too soft. Expect some revisions here during the course of final beta, until we get it right.

From what I've seen in the past, this can be a very contentious issue in a game community -- see what happened at the launch of BDO for a recent example of the flamewars between pveers and pkers.

I'm interested in this game, but hesitant about whether the alignment system works/can work. I've played ffa pvp full-loot games before (Darkfall, Mortal Online) and eventually, they lose the crafters ("carebears") and just become a tank of sharks. I read in the official forums that the current alignment system is not a deterrent to griefers or outlaw guilds at all and that it will be reviewed by the devs.

I would love to play a game that supports all types of play styles, meaning pvp, crafting, pve, etc.

I want to jump in and try, but I understand that being part of a guild is the way this game is meant to be played and best enjoyed. Since my present guild is not moving to this game, that would mean I need to find a new one and I'm not ready to make that commitment yet. I would hate to join a guild and then just bail on a game.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Deasant said:
    Email from devs today. More big changes coming. I love how well these guys listen to player feedback and aren't afraid to make the big scary changes that keep this game trending upward.

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/40588-Current-State-of-the-Final-Beta-Way-Forward/
    Did you see this response to the dev post?

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/40628-Current-state-of-final-beta-Way-Forward/?pageNo=1

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    d_20 said:
    Deasant said:
    Email from devs today. More big changes coming. I love how well these guys listen to player feedback and aren't afraid to make the big scary changes that keep this game trending upward.

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/40588-Current-State-of-the-Final-Beta-Way-Forward/
    Did you see this response to the dev post?

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/40628-Current-state-of-final-beta-Way-Forward/?pageNo=1
    Sorry but that just seems like a wall of rambling text that the poster decided to make an even larger wall of rambling by stretching it out in "art"
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    edited September 2016
    Grunty said:
    So my adventure begins!Any tips for a new player? =)
    No but I've got a tip for a forum poster.  Stop posting 6 MB images when something 1/10 that size will do.
    Maybe you should upgrade that 56k modem.

OP, love the game, hope you will too. I stopped playing a long time ago because I don't want to spoil release.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Well I bought it yesterday and played a lot longer than I intended.  So far I love it.  Freedom!

Definitely going to have to join a guild though to get the most out of the game.  You could totally play by yourself but I think the real shine and purpose of this game is group play.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Aethaeryn said:
    Well I bought it yesterday and played a lot longer than I intended.  So far I love it.  Freedom!

Definitely going to have to join a guild though to get the most out of the game.  You could totally play by yourself but I think the real shine and purpose of this game is group play.
    Awesome! Welcome to the game. I would suggest Queensmarket City as it is the biggest city in the game!
    I am in a guild, Fabled Few, yet it is small, not even 30 people yet. There are a ton of guilds though and the chat is filled with people recruiting. I am Blueturtle in game. Look me up!
    I'd love to join you there, looks like a very fun game. I just can't until they stop wiping the game however, as I'm a progression junkie and can't bear to lose it.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    Aethaeryn said:

Awesome! Welcome to the game. I would suggest Queensmarket City as it is the biggest city in the game!
    I am in a guild, Fabled Few, yet it is small, not even 30 people yet. There are a ton of guilds though and the chat is filled with people recruiting. I am Blueturtle in game. Look me up!
    I'd love to join you there, looks like a very fun game. I just can't until they stop wiping the game however, as I'm a progression junkie and can't bear to lose it.  ;)

What if they were to add a special stat, call it wipe stat, the goes up (AKA Progresses) every time they do a wipe?  :D
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Kyleran said:
    Aethaeryn said:

Yeah many people in chat are talking about that. "When will they do a final wipe" and "when is release"
     I am using this time to try different things to determine what paths I want to pursue once the final wipe is done. I have tried sword and board, bow, magic and also exploring different crafting paths and professions.
    SO many options to chose from. You really can be anything you want and play the game any way you want. I am about to buy my island. Then begin farming. Such a fun game.
    Good, once it finally launches I can join your guild and sponge off of your accumulated knowledge.  ;)

Er....assuming you'll have me of course O.o

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Viper482 said:
    Grunty said:
    No but I've got a tip for a forum poster.  Stop posting 6 MB images when something 1/10 that size will do.

OP, love the game, hope you will too. I stopped playing a long time ago because I don't want to spoil release.
    You can tell me what to do when you start paying for my internet service.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Grunty said:
    Viper482 said:
    Grunty said:

You can tell me what to do when you start paying for my internet service.
    I lowered my picture size going forward as the last three photos show. Sorry again mate
    Thank you, I appreciate it.  Others do too. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I backed the game, per your suggestion.

Am having a really good time. It's a nice throwback to the Ultima Online times. There's quite a lot to explore.

The travel time is painfully slow at first, but I'm hoping that changes when I get access to mounts.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Kyleran said:
    Aethaeryn said:

Yeah many people in chat are talking about that. "When will they do a final wipe" and "when is release"
     I am using this time to try different things to determine what paths I want to pursue once the final wipe is done. I have tried sword and board, bow, magic and also exploring different crafting paths and professions.
    SO many options to chose from. You really can be anything you want and play the game any way you want. I am about to buy my island. Then begin farming. Such a fun game.
    Broadsword and shield is my favorite tank set up. I've tried Clarent (the sword artifact weapon) and it has a nice AoE, but that AoE doesn't interrupt like the Broadsword's big attack does. The second interrupt is a game changer when tanking more than one Mage (interrupt her casting those pesky bats!) Also really helpful against spinning footman. 

@Blueturtle13 I'm going to PM you a build that you should check out just for the sake of solo dungeoning. It's also an extremely good DPS/off tank role in dungeons. Ridiculous amount of DPS, and I can beat most others in duels with it (but it's usually down to the wire). I would share it in the thread but I'm trying to avoid it going meta.
    Torval said:
    You mentioned people asking about final wipes. Have the developers given any response or info on that?

One thing I noticed that I don't like the sound of is that premium subscription status is on a per character basis. Is this the type of game where you only really need one character?

If you buy one of the founders packs is there a safe place to store the loot before you go out and get ganked? It would piss me off to create a character and then immediately have all my stuff stolen the first 15 minutes I'm trying to figure things out.

Can you get your horse stolen or killed?
    When you first start off, and when you venture out of the first town, you will be in completely safe areas (green), no PvP enabled. 

You our will have access to a bank chest in each town you come across, just keep in mind they aren't magically linked to each other. You can safely deposit founder's equipment and such. 

You our will also be able to get to the main cities of the Royal Islands like Queensmarket and Kingsmarket, without ever venturing in to PvP zones. 

The first PvP zones (yellow) you will come to will be purely for ganking, with little to no reward besides negative reputation (if considered a reward). I've never been attacked in a yellow zone. But it could happen. If you die in a yellow zone you will not lose anything, you simply fall to one knee, technically you are not dead, just knocked out. After about 10 seconds you'll get back up at full health.

In red PvP zones and beyond (black), when killed by player or mob, you die. You will respawn in nearest town or your home. You will lose all your stuff but not your money. Half or so of your items will break and be replaced with an item "TRASH". The enemy can loot this bag of stuff and hope the good stuff didn't break. They will also get money (silver), but it's not from your pocket. It's based on the repair cost of your items that broke iirc. So if your T7.4 weapon of total awesomeness breaks, they'll still get a nice chunk of silver from it.

Lastly, horses. If not in a lethal zone, you'll get dismounted when horse loses its health, but you will be able to mount it again when you exit combat, it will need repaired like any other gear though. Horses can be lost in the same way that I described gear being lost in red/black zones.

If you're not that in to PvP but want it as an option, this game is absolutely viable in that regard to a certain extent. You won't get to the highest tier dungeons or resource spawns without going in to PvP areas. But you can join a guild, go in a group and have a very good time.

Never take to red/black areas or dungeon portals or hell gates, gear that you can't afford to lose. My best PvE gear goes in the bank and cheaper similar gear with slightly lesser stats gets worn to dungeon/PvP adventures outside of green/yellow zones.

There are plenty of options to limit liability/risks in regard to PvP. It is nowhere near the harsh life that was Darkfall or MO
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Best advice you will get: Join a group. If you dont the game will turn into a boring grind with no point really fast. Yes you can have some fun making your island or trading but this gets super boring super fast when you get trampled on all of it by the guys who have access to high end resources. Find a group!

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Aethaeryn said:

I'll look you up when I get on sometime again.  

As far as people worried about a wipe.  I am going to play until I get a good handle on the game then just log in once in awhile to keep fresh.  I don't mind the wipe to a certain point since I am spending so much time figuring things out.  There is A LOT for such a simple seeming game.