Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IMAX wants to add VR to your next movie

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/imax-wants-to-add-vr-to-your-next-movie-192843906.html

I suspect more will come

yes I know its technically not a game but VR stories seem to be of interest here (or rather used to)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Nice find.

Sounds like an interesting way to bring VR to the mainstream. Basically, you would be paying 10$ for a quality 10 minute experience in VR. If you can't afford VR or don't want to, it could be an interesting option.

The flaw I see is the length. Usually when you go out, be it the movies, a pub, dinner, stroll with friends, it's a 2 hour experience. Laser tag takes 15 minutes, but is a social experience. What I'd love to see is a "karaoke" type of thing, where 5 people sit in a room, taking turns trying out different 10 minute VR experiences. I think that could be long-term viable as something friends would go out to repeatedly.

Running a 10 minute VR experience with 5 friends simultaneously sounds like a one trick pony.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,697
    OK, headline is misleading, IMAX don't want to add VR to my next movie, they want to have a completely separate VR experience inside movie theatres with content that relates to films being shown. 

Again, sounds like a gimmick but will really come down to what content they put in there. Standing in my own 6ft cube for 10mins looking at a VR visualisation....

The sort of thing I imagine is watching a new Batman movie, then heading into the VR experience to get a tour of the batmobile. Within your solitary cube, you'd be able to walk around the batmobile, see what it looks like inside etc. Would give you an interesting sense of scale and assuming the model used for rendering was basically photo-realistic, it would look awesome. Still a gimmick and I personally wouldn't pay for it, but I can see how some might enjoy it. 

Same sort of thing with Avatar. I can imagine the VR experience being similar to the scene in Aliens where Ripley is sitting on a bench, looking at a virtual forest. Would be pretty awesome to just take a seat and watch the wildlife of pandora move around you. Again, I wouldn't pay for it at a cinema, but I could see myself enjoying such an experience at home (assuming the simulation was detailed, varied, nearly photo-realistic etc). I can imagine that sort of thing being very relaxing. If they found a way for me to be able to read a book at the same time then I'd buy into VR right now! 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    If they found a way for me to be able to read a book at the same time then I'd buy into VR right now! 
    Text works in VR; it just has to be somewhat larger than average due to the field of view versus resolution. I could see something like Morrowind's "books" working well. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    If they found a way for me to be able to read a book at the same time then I'd buy into VR right now! 
    Text works in VR; it just has to be somewhat larger than average due to the field of view versus resolution. I could see something like Morrowind's "books" working well. 
    color choices also seem to make a difference. i am not saying that as having technical knowedge in that it just seems that way as a user

OK, headline is misleading, IMAX don't want to add VR to my next movie, they want to have a completely separate VR experience inside movie theatres with content that relates to films being shown. 

Again, sounds like a gimmick but will really come down to what content they put in there. Standing in my own 6ft cube for 10mins looking at a VR visualisation....

The sort of thing I imagine is watching a new Batman movie, then heading into the VR experience to get a tour of the batmobile. Within your solitary cube, you'd be able to walk around the batmobile, see what it looks like inside etc. Would give you an interesting sense of scale and assuming the model used for rendering was basically photo-realistic, it would look awesome. Still a gimmick and I personally wouldn't pay for it, but I can see how some might enjoy it. 

Same sort of thing with Avatar. I can imagine the VR experience being similar to the scene in Aliens where Ripley is sitting on a bench, looking at a virtual forest. Would be pretty awesome to just take a seat and watch the wildlife of pandora move around you. Again, I wouldn't pay for it at a cinema, but I could see myself enjoying such an experience at home (assuming the simulation was detailed, varied, nearly photo-realistic etc). I can imagine that sort of thing being very relaxing. If they found a way for me to be able to read a book at the same time then I'd buy into VR right now! 
    movies are gimmicks best I can tell so I dont see the problem

OK, so what I'm thinking is that currently, in real life, I like to head off "into nature" to chill out. I'll take a few "proper smokes", a good book and a bottle of water and go find somewhere secluded. I'll then sit down for  few hours, have a smoke whilst reading a good book. It's extremely relaxing. 

Now, imagine the same thing, but instead of the English countryside, I'm seeing Pandora! I'm still doing the same physical thing (sitting on my arse, getting high and reading a book) but I'm surrounded by crazy foliage, awesome creatures etc. 

I'm not sure how they'd achieve such a thing - maybe some sort of weird interface that allowed me to hold the physical book in my hand, but replicate it digitally and track page turns? But, I'd still need the use of my eyes in the physical world to be able to smoke. 
    OK, so what I'm thinking is that currently, in real life, I like to head off "into nature" to chill out. I'll take a few "proper smokes", a good book and a bottle of water and go find somewhere secluded. I'll then sit down for  few hours, have a smoke whilst reading a good book. It's extremely relaxing. 

Now, imagine the same thing, but instead of the English countryside, I'm seeing Pandora! I'm still doing the same physical thing (sitting on my arse, getting high and reading a book) but I'm surrounded by crazy foliage, awesome creatures etc. 

I'm not sure how they'd achieve such a thing - maybe some sort of weird interface that allowed me to hold the physical book in my hand, but replicate it digitally and track page turns? But, I'd still need the use of my eyes in the physical world to be able to smoke. 
    when you play a game now and read text in that game its a book?

SEANMCAD said:

I don't think you understand what the word gimmick means. 

Movies are an evolution of the spoken word:

1) We speak to one another, passing over information and stories. 
    2) We started writing down what we speak, the better record things for historical purposes and to reduce reliance on individuals. Writing serves a clear purpose. 
    3) We started making moving images as an evolution to the written word. It conveys the information quicker, records information that is impossible to record via writing (e.g. capturing lighting, facial expression, body movement etc). Moving images (and thus movies) serves a clear purpose. 

A gimmick is something that attracts attention and stands out from the crowd but serves no real purpose. 

What purpose will these 10minute VR experiences offer? Its completely separate to the movie, so serves no purpose there. You'll be stuck in a 6ft cube so can't wander around much, so the experience is limited. The fact it's VR doesn't convey information any better than a movie screen, so no purpose there either. 

I'm not denying the technology is good, nor that a few people might enjoy it. I'm just questioning it's worthiness and purpose, beyond gimmicky fun. Again, nothing wrong with gimmicky fun (I still enjoy my Wii), but as a gimmick it's important to recognise the short-term appeal of such things and so I question the business logic of wanting to get these VR booths into cinemas. 
    SEANMCAD said:

2) We started writing down what we speak, the better record things for historical purposes and to reduce reliance on individuals. Writing serves a clear purpose. 
    3) We started making moving images as an evolution to the written word. It conveys the information quicker, records information that is impossible to record via writing (e.g. capturing lighting, facial expression, body movement etc). Moving images (and thus movies) serves a clear purpose. 

A gimmick is something that attracts attention and stands out from the crowd but serves no real purpose. 

What purpose will these 10minute VR experiences offer? Its completely separate to the movie, so serves no purpose there. You'll be stuck in a 6ft cube so can't wander around much, so the experience is limited. The fact it's VR doesn't convey information any better than a movie screen, so no purpose there either. 

I'm not denying the technology is good, nor that a few people might enjoy it. I'm just questioning it's worthiness and purpose, beyond gimmicky fun. Again, nothing wrong with gimmicky fun (I still enjoy my Wii), but as a gimmick it's important to recognise the short-term appeal of such things and so I question the business logic of wanting to get these VR booths into cinemas. 
    how does any of that make it not a gimmick?

maybe define gimmick as you see it

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    edited September 2016
    After a 2-3hr movie, how much would one sweat into a head set? How many uses before they smell like your high school locker room? Would this be a great way to spread pink eye or other things like colds, or worse? How grossed out are you now? If your not, hate to see what you call clean.
    Nanfoodle said:
    After a 2-3hr movie, how much would one sweat into a head set? How many uses before they smell like your high school locker room? Would this be a great way to spread pink eye or other things like colds, or worse? How grossed out are you now? If your not, hate to see what you call clean.
    valid concerns but its coming and its already in place for rollercoasters too although I am not sure if one has to supply their own (not sure on that part) anyway, I dont think they are planning it to be used for the entire movie.

edited September 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    valid concerns but its coming and its already in place for rollercoasters too although I am not sure if one has to supply their own (not sure on that part) anyway, I dont think they are planning it to be used for the entire movie.
    Dose not change the fact that a community VR headset can lead to some grose outcomes. As it stands most bathrooms groes me out yet its fact that most smartphones have more germs on them, then a toilet. Good thing thats your personally control as its your germs and you can keep your device clean. Public VR headset is no where in your control. So some will have no problem with it. But there is a large % of people that are germ conscious and just wont use this type of product and if they make them all rubber fitting so they clean easy. Most people wont be able to wear them for a whole movie. IMO, this wont last long in main stream as you would also have to film movies in a whole new format to make this worth it for a small % of users. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dose not change the fact that a community VR headset can lead to some grose outcomes. As it stands most bathrooms groes me out yet its fact that most smartphones have more gems on them, then a toilet. Good thing thats your personally control as its your germs and you can keep your device clean. Public VR headset is no where in your control. So some will have no problem with it. But there is a large % of people that are germ conscious and just wont use this type of product and if they make them all rubber fitting so they clean easy. Most people wont be able to wear them for a whole movie. IMO, this wont last long in main stream as you would also have to film movies in a whole new format to make this worth it for a small % of users. 
    true with a few corrections.

1. movies in theathers themselves are diying out and have been for a long time now so I would agree that public use of VR in the context of movie goers is not going to last.

2. any content they make it part, in full or as a supplement to the movie are all goods that can be experienced at home as well

Just an FYI: the TV and Film industry at the moment are extreemly excited about VR and millions of dollars are currently being pumped into the industry to make said content and from major players in the market.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171
    Nanfoodle said:
    I'm glad you see this as people don't understand the realities of virtual reality in it's current iteration a lot of the time.

Even people who play the demos for 5 - 10 minutes can start sweating profusely.. and doubly so if they get motion sickness.  Sweating is one of the first symptoms that you're starting to get motion sickness.  When I was at best buy doing demos,  the Rift attendant didn't even bother trying to clean the set after the last guy because "There isn't much you can do about sweat until it dries, sorry".  The guy before us had motion sickness.

Extrapolate that into general costs.  You need someone to manage and clean the headsets better than you clean those 3D glasses. Have you seen how clean the IMAX theaters are after the last movie and they've been "cleaned"?  Sticky floors, still popcorn on the seats.. the off candy wrapper here and there,  and you're going to entrust that they will clean the headset properly?

That same person needs to do it after every use,  as well as administer people that are in whatever 6 ft space.  They'd need to ensure that both the person walking around wasn't getting disoriented, make sure the headset wasn't getting damaged, and god forbid something happens if the experience is at a perspective where someone has vertigo and falls or makes an even larger mess than just a headset.

You can't shrug things like that off,  and you can always blame the "exception" to the rule, but in many cases,  like the "rare exceptions" for roller coaster passengers that get hurt or die riding them (about 5 people annually)  we're talking about negligence to a degree that could get dozens to hundreds of people sick if not handled properly.

edited September 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    I'm glad you see this as people don't understand the realities of virtual reality in it's current iteration a lot of the time.

Even people who play the demos for 5 - 10 minutes can start sweating profusely.. and doubly so if they get motion sickness.  Sweating is one of the first symptoms that you're starting to get motion sickness.  When I was at best buy doing demos,  the Rift attendant didn't even bother trying to clean the set after the last guy because "There isn't much you can do about sweat until it dries, sorry".  The guy before us had motion sickness.

Extrapolate that into general costs.  You need someone to manage and clean the headsets better than you clean those 3D glasses. Have you seen how clean the IMAX theaters are after the last movie and they've been "cleaned"?  Sticky floors, still popcorn on the seats.. the off candy wrapper here and there,  and you're going to entrust that they will clean the headset properly?

That same person needs to do it after every use,  as well as administer people that are in whatever 6 ft space.  They'd need to ensure that both the person walking around wasn't getting disoriented, make sure the headset wasn't getting damaged, and god forbid something happens if the experience is at a perspective where someone has vertigo and falls or makes an even larger mess than just a headset.

You can't shrug things like that off,  and you can always blame the "exception" to the rule, but in many cases,  like the "rare exceptions" for roller coaster passengers that get hurt or die riding them (about 5 people annually)  we're talking about negligence to a degree that could get dozens to hundreds of people sick if not handled properly.

I think the problem that you are perpetrating by not correcting him directly is that I do not think IMAX is planning to have the entire 'movie in VR' so lets try to correct that now before it gets out of control.

it appears they are talking about 10 mins. Yes its still a concern but lets try to correct the detail now before it gets silly

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

how does any of that make it not a gimmick?

maybe define gimmick as you see it
    How about using the actual definition of the word
     a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

So is a movie a trick or a device? Hmmm...  a movie is a recorded story projected onto a screen that you can watch.   It's essentially an evolution of a play.

VR is specifically a device that attaches on - in addition to - the feature film, isn't necessary, and doesn't evolve the narrative or make the film easier to watch.  It is not an evolution.  If anything it would make a film less comfortable and tougher to experience.  It is, for all intents and purposes the exact definition of gimmick.

So is a movie a trick or a device? Hmmm...  a movie is a recorded story projected onto a screen that you can watch.   It's essentially an evolution of a play.

VR is specifically a device that attaches on - in addition to - the feature film, isn't necessary, and doesn't evolve the narrative or make the film easier to watch.  It is not an evolution.  If anything it would make a film less comfortable and tougher to experience.  It is, for all intents and purposes the exact definition of gimmick.
    with absolut zero question movies started out as a gimmick and I think I can find historical evidence that uses that exact word.

modern day version of movies however still seem to apply to that definition

edited September 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I think the problem that you are perpetrating by not correcting him directly is that I do not think IMAX is planning to have the entire 'movie in VR' so lets try to correct that now before it gets out of control.

it appears they are talking about 10 mins. Yes its still a concern but lets try to correct the detail now before it gets silly
    Your point does not negate the point I have made. Putting on a public VR headset would be no different then licking 10 strangers faces. Or more! 
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Your point does not negate the point I have made. Putting on a public VR headset would be no different then licking 10 strangers faces. Or more! 
    yes I know and I LITERALLY said that and I LITERALLY said why I still thinks its a correct we need to make all I can do as a response is say the exact same thing over again.

edited September 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

with absolut zero question movies started out as a gimmick and I think I can find historical evidence that uses that exact word.

modern day version of movies however still seem to apply to that definition
    Please feel free to find historical evidence of that exact word.

3D is a gimmick.  Movies are not.  The original creation of the movie is considered a technological advancement.  It is a betterment to entertainment as well as everyday life.  It solved many more issues than it created.

VR is not a necessary technological advancement.  It is, for all intents and purposes, frivolous and problematic.  It does not better anybodies life and can cause head and neck strain, eye problems, motion sickness,  and yes at times it can deliver a very specific exciting experience.  

But the more people try it the more they'll understand these words.  People that aren't enamored by the promise of living in a virtual world.  

Not a single person I know that has tried this, or I've tried with them hasn't experienced at least one of these issues I've mentioned.  And if you're saying you haven't felt head or neck strain,  eye problems or motion sickness at all during VR, you haven't used it enough, or you're lying.

Nanfoodle said:
    A VR headset is not something I would want to share with the public at large.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Even 5 minutes can be an issue. Even less. Germs do not have a time frame of when they are transferred to a set. Maybe it's a hot day. Maybe they immediately get motion sickness. I've seen a full grown man drench a Rift headset in less than 10 minutes and he was barely moving.

SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Even 5 minutes can be an issue. Even less. Germs do not have a time frame of when they are transferred to a set. Maybe it's a hot day. Maybe they immediately get motion sickness. I've seen a full grown man drench a Rift headset in less than 10 minutes and he was barely moving.
    Was thinking as well... would you put on a stranger's hat? Thinking of lice and scabies kinda has me shying away. 

Very doable.

Right now, there is a VR app that lets you shrink yourself down to scale on a DotA map during a replay.  It's not exactly Pandora, but it certainly would be colorful (I haven't used it personally as I'm with Gear VR right now).  It may sound kind of gimmicky, but this guy has to say about it "In effect it just let me wander around the coolest, prettiest fantasy world I've been able to explore in VR so far."

Just imagine the evolution of this a year or two from now.

There are also plenty of 'relaxation' apps that let you do things like float weightlessly down a river.

All that's needed for your vision to come to life is for someone to port a Kindle reader into these experiences somehow, in the form of a virtual book.  Turning pages could either be done with "touch"-like controllers, or via remote.

As far as smoking, well, I no longer smoke, but if I did I may recommend one of these:

Gets the job done in much less time.

Seriously, though, it's not much trouble to just move the headset up onto one's forehead if anything in the real world needs attention.  The UX is about like wearing a pair of snowboarding goggles that let one see into another world:

This conversation is a perfect example of why I have no sympathy for people who feel they should not repeat themselves.

for the 3rd time. I AGREE. I have been very clear on that I AGREE HOWEVER, I still think not misleading readers into thinking we are talking about 2 hours when in fact we are talking about 10 mins is important even if it does not affect the core point. Its not a good idea to go around liberally suggesting something is 2 or 30 hours of use when it fact its 10mins even if it doesnt affect the core point