Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why You Should Be Playing Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning - Michael Bitton at MMORPG.com

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2016
    Been playing on RoR sevrer for 8 months now , and the experience has been pretty good for a Warhammer fan , Havent had any issues with the Devs at all , matter a fact, any that i have noticed that were banned were being an ass in game ,cheating in game ,harrassing in game,  or just a general ass on the  forums , These Devs are doing this for Nothing , for the communtiy and there love of War why should they tolerate some entitled jerk-off... imo the perma ban was light , they should came to yer house and had a Squig shit down yer neck ...

ANyhow great game, good times in the LAkes , could use some more people
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I wish i could share the nostalgia.
    I have been waiting for this game for so long and found it very disappointing all along the line.
    System said:
    imageWhy You Should Be Playing Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning - Michael Bitton at MMORPG.com

Aside from the Star Wars Galaxies emulator, which I am waiting for the team to finish to fully check out, there’s been only one private server that’s gotten me to bother to install and play on and that is Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning.

Read the full story here

Clicking that link brings me back to the mainpage..?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

I was literally banned for this exact same thing! The fuck you doing mmorpg.com?
    They did a poll and asked the forum community whether they should allow the talk of emulators of games that had been closed down and I suppose it was overwhelmingly positive.

So "now" if you talk about emulators, as long as the games are no longer running or the emulators have the permission of the developers (like EQ) then nothing will happen to you.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I have been spending hours trying to get this working

no luck
  • OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    orbitxo said:

Albatroes said:

Just wasn't aware promoting a private server was a thing on this site. I know they had discussed if the community would be alright with talking about them in discussion forums, but making an whole article about it is a bit eh...

yah i think we got that from your first post.

that said, perhaps it was greenlight since nobody owns its ip any longer (EA) - or its just a good read- after all its warhammer damit!
    EA would still have ownership over the game, and Games Workshop would still have ownership over the IP.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Myrdynn said:

no luck

Here is some notes I made from when I installed on Windows 7 64bit.  NOTE:  You must download their client not use something you have from another source.

1) had to use winrar to unzip

after unzippping.

2) Tried running but got an error.
    Error starting: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Games\Age_of_Reckoning_client\Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning\WAR.exe' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode)
       at RoRLauncher.Client.patchExe()
       at RoRLauncher.Client.Handle(PacketIn packet)
    see note1:

3) got error:  d3dx9_34.dll
    had to run:  DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer  at       
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/confirmation.aspx?id=35

4)  Error running client.
    Data.myp:
    System.Exception: You need to stop application currently using the following file: data.myp
       at MYPHandler.MYPHandler.WriteFileToArchive(FileInArchive archFile, MemoryStream MS)
       at MYPHandler.MYPHandler.ReplaceFile(FileInArchive archFile, FileStream newFile)
       at RoRLauncher.Client.UpdateWarData()
    see note1:

note1:  in folder everything was marked read only.  select all->properties->uncheck read only all files and folder->apply

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Might have to try this out.  Lots of fond memories of Warhammer for sure.
    waynejr2 said:
    Myrdynn said:

no luck

Here is some notes I made from when I installed on Windows 7 64bit.  NOTE:  You must download their client not use something you have from another source.

after unzippping.

Error starting: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Games\Age_of_Reckoning_client\Warhammer Online - Age of Reckoning\WAR.exe' is denied.
       at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    see note1:

Data.myp:
    System.Exception: You need to stop application currently using the following file: data.myp
       at MYPHandler.MYPHandler.WriteFileToArchive(FileInArchive archFile, MemoryStream MS)
       at MYPHandler.MYPHandler.ReplaceFile(FileInArchive archFile, FileStream newFile)
    see note1:

note1:  in folder everything was marked read only.  select all->properties->uncheck read only all files and folder->apply

damn tried this but still not working, WIN 10 btw maybe thats an issue

Myrdynn said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Myrdynn said:

no luck

after unzippping.

see note1:

Data.myp:
    see note1:

damn tried this but still not working, WIN 10 btw maybe thats an issue

Well, you aren't giving much information so it is hard to help you.  Have you looked at the forum?  They have lots of help there.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

yes I have been reading forum non stop, when I hit ROR launch it gives me thing to copy to clipboard but nothing clickable or copy/pastable

how do I print screen of my computer I can show if I do that maybe

You should really head over to their forums.  There will likely be people with your OS who have add this issue and can clear it up.  The people running it might also respond to a post.

• A1learjetA1learjet Member UncommonPosts: 258
    DMKano said:
    fodell54 said:
    DMKano said:
    Good for the fans of the original game.

For me WAR was one of the most disappointing MMORPG releases, I mean ex DAoC dev team who would have thought they could miss the mark that badly?

Just my opinion
    I complete agree. I had some high hopes for WAR but was very let down.
    Have you ever been disappointed by a Trion game?
    I have - Rift at launch was a complete "meh" for me, IMO the game got much better later on like when the first expansion launched it clicked for me. But originally i really didn't like Rift - I played for about a month at launch and it all felt very mediocre, the Rifts were OK but the rest didn't really click for me at launch.
    Kinda  same thing  played hard for 4  months  took 7 months off then seemed to like the changes  played for 2  years after that but finally done with it

donger56 said:
    I played this at launch and was really excited about it. Unfortunately it was a total shit show. None of the mechanics worked properly and soon every server was lopsided as hell in terms of population. Why the creators of DAOC thought going to a two faction system would be a good idea is beyond me. Warhammer is why I won't spend a dime on Camelot Unchained until it is released. I guess I can hope they learned from those mistakes, but we will see. At least Jacobs acknowledges the failures unlike some people who just like to make excuses and point fingers at everyone else. Yeah, I'm looking at you Brad McQuaid, Chris Roberts, Mark Kern, and Richard Garriot.
    Just a FYI  Board games...can be a fun break from MMO let down..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    I absolutely loved my Swordmaster. It's one of the top 3 classes I've ever played.

Maybe I should look into this.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,697
    I gave this a go a few months back. I played a black orc at launch and reached RR69 I think, but didn't really experience any other classes. 

This time round I decided to go Warrior Priest. Yes, I admit, part of my choice is because I remember them being crazy overpowered on the live game, but I've also never mained a healer and I also wanted to experience the order side of things. 

World-wise, everything seemed as I remember. Combat also seemed pretty much as I remember, so classes / morales / skills etc all seemed on point. I didn't bother with any PvE, so can't comment on that. PvP wise, everything worked but there were a few problems I noticed. 

First, scenario choice. When I played on live, they always had a very limited number of scenarios available for each tier, but they'd rotate regularly. On RoR, it seems every scenario is available for every tier. I didn't like that. It meant if I queued for specific scenarios that I liked, they'd almost never pop, plus there are many scenarios that are simply too big to play in tier 1 before you get mounts. 

Second, rewards seemed lower than I remember on live. XP and loot in particular seemed really low so was looking at crazy grinds for scenario weapons and armour (I mean, was always a grind, but seems worse). Given the crazy power gaps in the game, anything that gets in the way of reducing power gaps is a bad thing imo. Admittedly, I didn't look at set-piece armour vendors to see if they were still available for gold, but hoping they are as that was one of the better improvements to the game. 

Finally, mods. The interface on the base game sucks balls. If you're pure DPS it's not too bad as you don't need to see much, but as a tank or a healer the secondary target and raid frames are really important. This means modding. As the game has closed, Curse has removed their mods so was really hard getting the interface to a usable point. RoR comes packaged with some mods but they didn't always work and wasn't enough to create a good interface. I ended up having to hunt around for legacy mods, downloading from dodgy sites and hoping for the best. I just about got there, but then ran into problems with my profiles not saving or loading properly. 

I would still recommend the game and the server. Pick a class and basically only pvp. Once you reach about rank 10 and start unlocking trees, morales etc, the game gets fun for pvp. Gates of Ekrund (12v12 scenario) remains an awesome map, 2 balanced teams fighting over the middle is just a great experience and begins to highlight the games strengths. If you're playing for any length of time, definitely hunt down a guild. Premades for scenarios are excellent fun, or forming a guild raid to go take some keeps is also satisfying. Solo, the game is definitely lacking. 
    I gave this a go a few months back. I played a black orc at launch and reached RR69 I think, but didn't really experience any other classes. 

This time round I decided to go Warrior Priest. Yes, I admit, part of my choice is because I remember them being crazy overpowered on the live game, but I've also never mained a healer and I also wanted to experience the order side of things. 

World-wise, everything seemed as I remember. Combat also seemed pretty much as I remember, so classes / morales / skills etc all seemed on point. I didn't bother with any PvE, so can't comment on that. PvP wise, everything worked but there were a few problems I noticed. 

First, scenario choice. When I played on live, they always had a very limited number of scenarios available for each tier, but they'd rotate regularly. On RoR, it seems every scenario is available for every tier. I didn't like that. It meant if I queued for specific scenarios that I liked, they'd almost never pop, plus there are many scenarios that are simply too big to play in tier 1 before you get mounts. 

Second, rewards seemed lower than I remember on live. XP and loot in particular seemed really low so was looking at crazy grinds for scenario weapons and armour (I mean, was always a grind, but seems worse). Given the crazy power gaps in the game, anything that gets in the way of reducing power gaps is a bad thing imo. Admittedly, I didn't look at set-piece armour vendors to see if they were still available for gold, but hoping they are as that was one of the better improvements to the game. 

Finally, mods. The interface on the base game sucks balls. If you're pure DPS it's not too bad as you don't need to see much, but as a tank or a healer the secondary target and raid frames are really important. This means modding. As the game has closed, Curse has removed their mods so was really hard getting the interface to a usable point. RoR comes packaged with some mods but they didn't always work and wasn't enough to create a good interface. I ended up having to hunt around for legacy mods, downloading from dodgy sites and hoping for the best. I just about got there, but then ran into problems with my profiles not saving or loading properly. 

I would still recommend the game and the server. Pick a class and basically only pvp. Once you reach about rank 10 and start unlocking trees, morales etc, the game gets fun for pvp. Gates of Ekrund (12v12 scenario) remains an awesome map, 2 balanced teams fighting over the middle is just a great experience and begins to highlight the games strengths. If you're playing for any length of time, definitely hunt down a guild. Premades for scenarios are excellent fun, or forming a guild raid to go take some keeps is also satisfying. Solo, the game is definitely lacking. 
    Brings up a good question on the interface..Back in the Day Curse  had  Addons for the game to help with just that  any active site for addons if so that may help

• coleman11bcoleman11b Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Loved Age of Reckoning back in the day. For a tab target MMO, I felt it had some of the most interesting classes. So many different play styles and mechanics across the classes. I'll definitely be checking this out when I get home from work. Could provide me the PvP experience I've been craving since the original closed.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Gorwe said:
    Well, if you have low requirements and basically want to PvP only, this is a game for you. Why call an one trick game a mmorpg is beyond me. Such a wasted opportunity. Mmorpgs should really be broader in options for gameplay that they offer. Also, there are FAR better PvP games out there.
    It was always for people who wanted to PVP, so no surprise here.

Time to move along I think.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The problem WAR always suffered from was way too much CC.  Same problem that DAoC had too.
    Ozmodan said:
    The problem WAR always suffered from was way too much CC.  Same problem that DAoC had too.
    and Gw2 and ESO and some in beta cant talk about as well....its a PVP thing   Pretty sure (on vacation not downloaded the RoR) I recall you could go into abilty tree(passives) to counter them but your trading dps/tanking healing for it. I may be wrong was 2008 last played it

Ozmodan said:

Suffered?  You suffered perhaps. CC is great.

edited September 2016
    Hey have to ask ( cause someone has to know) Back in the Day  what was Hickmans   WitchHunter Named? and while at it how about  Jacobs Orc/Dwarf  and Did Barnett have a toon?  

Always wanted to know if I faced off on Hickman on my Witch elf

• KuroiKuroi Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Ozmodan said:

I disagree. WAR's main CC are tanks and melee toons. The game is more about debuffs and burst than CC and faceroll.