Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CCP Announces Clone States - AKA F2P - Coming in November

Comments

• KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Gdemami said:
    Kahrek said:
    This should be good. With unlimited time and the ability to fly a reasonable selection of ships this should help CCP get / retain new clients.
    Imo, this isn't going to help new player acquisition.

Just listen to Andie Nordgren(CCP Seagull): "(subscription)... is also one the most common cancellation reason of those who leave EVE".

Saying this is supposed to help new players does not add up - she talks about players that did sub and sub isn't going away anyway. It is just marketing fluff.

Imo, the change is directly aimed at returning players - you can hop back in the game anytime and hopefully sub. That or there are some significant cash shop changes incoming but I doubt that.
    I stand by my original comments. You mention the change being aimed at returning players.

While it is unarguably appealing to returning players it also makes it much easier to invite friends to play with you and said friends will be able to explore a much larger part of the game, hopefully signing up once they want more than the F2P option offers.

With the right spin and a fair dose of exposure I predict an initial rush of new players with maybe a 3 to 5% conversion to subs in the first 90 days. How many of those remain in the long term is really anybody's guess.

Cheers,
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Recore said:
    Now lets see what people have to say about this.  =)
    Well they should say nothing because it's not something they can control. So just STFU guys... did I get that right Kano?

Nope you didnt. 

People will say whatever like always, because obsession over having any opinion far outweighs stopping for a second and thinking whether it's even relevant to have an opinion about it in the first place.

Probably alien concept to some, yes opinions can be irrelevant thus not worth expressing.

So far in this thread I don't see anyone dictating what CCP should and shouldn't do, so it's all good. 

Yeah you got to watch out for that dictating thing... sort of like dictating what opinions are relevant.

Relevance being such and objective and quantifiable variable and all.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,760
    Well the day has come.

It's kinda similar to the F2P model that other MMO's did when they went F2P, the subscription and all remains but some stuff gets limited to non-paying players.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    I tried and I liked EVE but for me the problem is the abyss between a new player and a veteran.
    That "abyss" is in your head only ;-P
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I do know that I will be playing this game again once it happens.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    filmoret said:
    Well its not a bad option, players will be limited to tech I varients of frigates, destroyers and cruisers, and i think limited to some, but not all, of the tech I mods, there is also a 5m sp limit, but its enough for players to get a good feel for the game, and theres probably more pvp involving Frigates than otherwise, they are cheap so people don't mind taking risks with them. B)
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    So they looked around and saw WoW's free til level 20 option and decided to go with that.  Good start.  I think they need something more though.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Why do all the news outlets call it F2P?   CCP has not called it F2P, nor does it have anything to do with microtransactions at this point in time.  Not to mention, it looks more like a free trial that is based on level limit and not a time limit, which they have done in the past.   I can't see this anything other than a disaster for fighting botting and rmt, but it will be interesting to see if CCP will be able to continue their good job in this area. 
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976
    Have to agree with the "unlimited trial" view of this announcement. I think it sounds like a good-ish move. In a game where the players are/make the content, this sounds like a reasonable way to entice more content players.

I've been away from the game for a bit and the past few "come back and play" deals haven't been all that enticing to me. This approach seems like a good way to get those former players, like myself, to log in and kick the tires (and potentially resub).

I can certainly see the case that this is intended to get new players to try the game vs.getting previous players to return. I think its a little of column A, a little of column B. I imagine there will be marketing messages tailored for each of these groups.

Now to see what "unintended uses" of this feature arise (if any above and beyond those of the current free trial system). :)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Will not get me back.  I was happy years ago with paying every other month. Start a long skill training then cancel and come back in a month and pay and play for a month. Then just do it all over again.

When they stopped me from being able to train my skill after sub stopped. They lost me. Have not been back since then, and this training lvl 1 skills will do nothing to get me back.

Might get enough people to play to keep them going for a few more years. We will see.  
    Phry said:
    filmoret said:
    Well its not a bad option, players will be limited to tech I varients of frigates, destroyers and cruisers, and i think limited to some, but not all, of the tech I mods, there is also a 5m sp limit, but its enough for players to get a good feel for the game, and theres probably more pvp involving Frigates than otherwise, they are cheap so people don't mind taking risks with them. B)
    I got enough on my account to buy a plex just need to get it opened.  Took me about 20 hours of grind to get enough for a plex.  I don't remember the t1 ships and farming rates.  I do recall making some money but enough for a plex probably pushes you over 50 hours with those ships.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    If you thought Goons were big... wait until this F2P happens!
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Sad day for EVE and MMORPGs in general. F2P games are always an inferior experience.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited August 2016

DarLorkar said:

Will not get me back.  I was happy years ago with paying every other month. Start a long skill training then cancel and come back in a month and pay and play for a month. Then just do it all over again.

When they stopped me from being able to train my skill after sub stopped. They lost me. Have not been back since then, and this training lvl 1 skills will do nothing to get me back.

Might get enough people to play to keep them going for a few more years. We will see.  

If you are still training level 1 skills you are doing it wrong. Again if you were not able to buy plexes after your first month.
    If you were a total noob you'd easily be able to plex multiple accounts after 4-6 months of subscriptions.
    Not to mention dual training.

But the way you were doing it, sub, set long skill training, cancel, play for some weeks then disappear till the long training is finished, you probably never learned the playing skills and got to know the game to make decent money ingame. edit: fixed typos.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited August 2016
    F2P Eve online wow didn't see that coming. I wonder if i should login to see my old Minmater character. He had all the tier one cruisers. I loved the Rupture. Of course he won't be f2p i guess. I just don't know if these old ships are any good now. And for some reason i don't see the player base being all that welcoming to F2P players in this game unless to just use as cannon fodder. Sounds like they will be very limited in skills and not very useful.
  • FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    I wish them the best of luck. I hope it works out for them!

Won't really change a thing where I'm concerned though. I've moved on and don't really see myself going back. It's not that EVE is bad per se. It's just that there are now other alternatives that are more fun to me and CCP hasn't really added anything to the game that excites me, nor do I see anything noteworthy in the upcoming updates.

I think that's their biggest problem. EVE has become stale and there's not a whole lot to look forward to, so why bother? Right now I'm happy playing Elite Dangerous for my space fix and World of Warships/War Thunder for my PvP fix. It's funny, because when I stumbled upon EVE back when it was in beta, my first thought was "So this is kinda like Elite turned into an MMO? Gotta play that!". If someone had told me back then that I'd end up playing Elite again, but this time in VR with full HOTAS and rudder pedals setup, I would have screamed like a little school girl. Yeah, being a PC gamer is awesome.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited August 2016

Leon1e said:

Not sure what's the fuss all about.

the fuss is for returning players not wanting to pay a sub any longer and know the ins n outs of eve already and are ok with tech1 ships...they arent bad at all...
    edited August 2016
    orbitxo said:
    the fuss is for returning players not wanting to pay a sub any longer and know the ins n outs of eve already and are ok with tech1 ships...they arent bad at all...
    ...if you know "the ins n outs" already, it is no issue for your to pay for a subscription with in game money.

Yes, sub BC T1 ships pretty much suck :-P
    (and you cannot even fit T2 mods with Alpha clones)
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Baitness said:

Interesting idea from CCP to address the problem of too many predators, not enough prey.

This is exactly what is going to happen and f2p players will quit in droves.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    So they looked around and saw WoW's free til level 20 option and decided to go with that.  Good start.  I think they need something more though.
    It seems to bear a lot more similarities to Mortal Online's model. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:
    In other words, unlimited trial.
    Isn't that basically what F2P is?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    No, it isn't.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:
    Nilden said:
    No, it isn't.
    Why not? They are playing for free.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I wonder if this will bring in more new players than it will lose alt accounts. Many of the players have alt accounts to do things that they may now be able to use free instead of paying monthly. It also means more spys since new accounts are now free, yeah!
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Gdemami said:
    orbitxo said:
    (and you cannot even fit T2 mods with Alpha clones)
    I couldn't find if that is true or not.