Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CCP Announces Clone States - AKA F2P - Coming in November

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageCCP Announces Clone States - AKA F2P - Coming in November

EVE Online News - CCP Games is opening up the universe to past, present and future EVE Online players by implementing "clone states", a free-to-play version of the game. The new revenue model will allow players to take part for free forever and will arrive as part of the November 2016 update. This big news comes after thirteen years of EVE Online.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2016
    Given how long this game has been around and been p2p, this is making me want FFXI to be f2p even though I know SE wont do it. Just can't justify paying them while they'll trying to get all they can out of the remaining player base. I'll have to give this a try when it happens, but then One Tam should be up too, Revelation's beta live, WoW raids in October, FFXIV probably landing 3.45 around early Nov or late October with 150 more floors to PotD, so it'll be interesting rest of the year.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    In other words, unlimited trial.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited August 2016
    And so it begins...knew it would happen one day, concurrent users online has been dropping steadily since the Moneybadger war ended.

Will be interesting to see the impact, I suspect I won't like it for several reasons, but we'll see.

Well, scratch one concern, no cynos or cloaking for alpha clones

One possible benefit, I might be able to pilot a Miasmos with an alpha clone, if so I can put my current hauler character into play as a full time miner which will increase my overall yield significantly. 
    Post edited by Kyleran on

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    f2p eve... ruskies stopped rmting so money dried up from plexes?

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Interesting.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited August 2016
    this is huge.

iam looking forward to this= wonder if i was an existing player (years ago) will i get all my stuff back to f2p...
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    tech 1? really?
  • thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Awesome!
    edited August 2016
    orbitxo said:
    this is huge.

iam looking forward to this= wonder if i was an existing player (years ago) will i get all my stuff back to f2p...

Q: If I used to play EVE, do I need to do anything to activate Alpha State?

A: No, any unsubscribed account will automatically be set to Alpha State.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Not sure what's the fuss all about. The game will still require subscription to enjoy. There's only a limited subset of skills you can train under F2P restrictions and you won't be able to carry the expensive modules. Sure you can trade them but that's about it.

It's basically is unlimited trial.Guess they finally figured that 21 days aren't quite enough to realize the scope of the game.
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    With an unlimited trial you can easily get a plex, exploration, or scanning mission runners and stealing all their loot.

I still think they should open a new server with the f2p release.

Archeage EU - Nui

edited August 2016
    With an unlimited trial you can easily get a plex, exploration, or scanning mission runners and stealing all their loot.
    You need no unlimited trial for either of that.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

I still think they should open a new server with the f2p release.
    The price of PLEX will probably go unreasonably high. As most rare modules. 

EVE's economy was a nice one. PLEX always moved between 400 and 900kk ISK depending on the season. That amount was easily farmable, even with just PvE. I can't count the times I've had a 400-500kk drop from a random bandits. 

Although even with that the game lacked something to retain me, I don't know. Agents missions were fun, the first 200 times. Scanning is fun, the first 200 times. Fair PvP is pretty much impossible etc etc.  
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea IDK about this.  Its been a while since I last played but can't you fit the t3 modules on the t1 ships?  If this is the case then if they allowed that with the f2p accounts it would be really nice.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Interesting idea from CCP to address the problem of too many predators, not enough prey.
    Kyleran said:
    And so it begins...knew it would happen one day, concurrent users online has been dropping steadily since the Moneybadger war ended.
    The subs started to drop right after Incarna when CCP bent to mob and stopped expanding the game.

While they said they are undecided about ability to run Alpha accounts simultaneously, I guess this should be a no brainer, just like trial accounts, assuming there won't be a technical issues - that would be really bad.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Now lets see what people have to say about this.  =)
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 448
    Good change IMHO
    Recore said:
    You can read comments on forums, mostly positive with some reasonable concerns about exploiting of free accounts. No rage.
    https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=491738
  • BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    lol, CCP trying to please the minority of their players, which are grievers / pirates by allowing people to play for free.  Won't do much good since those playing for free will be grievers anyway, so in essence EVE-Online will officially become ScumBag-Online.  You had a nice run CCP,  I'll always remember EVE-Online for it's greatness before 2011.  I mean c'mon now guys, don't act like ignorants, you all know how a F2P EVE-Online will end up being, kamikaze cluster fest in high sec 24/7 pushing away legit players away even more. And don't forget that most of the "new players" that will be joining in to the free trial are players already playing the game to spy and wreak havoc upon others. This is just another OP tool / tactic for players already playing to create even more alts, nothing more.  Current players will just create a bunch load of alts to give the false impression that people are actually joining and buying in to the "new F2P" model.  The MAJOR turn off of EVE-Online, and this by the way is documented everywhere, is the fact that players try to explore in high sec and trying to learn the game but in the process keeps getting blown up by grievers. CCP doesn't care and doesn't give a damn so people flip the bird at CCP and quits / unsub 4 life. 
  • KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68
    This should be good. With unlimited time and the ability to fly a reasonable selection of ships this should help CCP get / retain new clients.

I predict massive faction warfare (and spam)

I might have to reactivate just to go welcome all these new players! Of course by welcome i mean welcome my ammo to your face but hey, that is just like a hug in EVE.

Cheers,
    edited August 2016
    Kahrek said:
    This should be good. With unlimited time and the ability to fly a reasonable selection of ships this should help CCP get / retain new clients.
    Imo, this isn't going to help new player acquisition.

Just listen to Andie Nordgren(CCP Seagull): "(subscription)... is also one the most common cancellation reason of those who leave EVE".

Saying this is supposed to help new players does not add up - she talks about players that did sub and sub isn't going away anyway. It is just marketing fluff.

Imo, the change is directly aimed at returning players - you can hop back in the game anytime and hopefully sub. That or there are some significant cash shop changes incoming but I doubt that.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Recore said:
    Well they should say nothing because it's not something they can control. So just STFU guys... did I get that right Kano?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    Baitness said:
    Interesting idea from CCP to address the problem of too many predators, not enough prey.
    LOL that is mean poor prey.
    Chamber of Chains
  • giberelinagiberelina Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I tried and I liked EVE but for me the problem is the abyss between a new player and a veteran.