Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update 12 - How It Changes the Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageUpdate 12 - How It Changes the Game

The Elder Scrolls Online is going back to its roots. Before the game was Buy to Play, it was Pay to Play and all the major updates were free. With update 12, everything will be completely free. While this update does not include any new zones or storylines, it does change the core aspect of the game as a whole. It is a new way to play ESO, especially if you are a new or returning player to Tamriel.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Arcane4176Arcane4176 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Does this mean if you are a higher level and want to go back and farm or kill stuff and feel powerful you won't be? Hopefully you are still a bit more powerful then the average joe after they scale you down.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited August 2016
    "unifies all of Tamriel to, essentially, be the same level of difficulty no matter the zone you are in. " - as it should had been released!

only game iam subbed to because their updates & dlc are always on point!
  • giberelinagiberelina Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Still 1 month to wait. And then housing wait :P
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    So far i haven't seen a game where this really worked. Especially when it applies to PvP too (not sure if it does here?). Either you see basically no change to the first time coming through an area, or the scaling down is barely noticeable.

It's also hard to have a sense of progression when that is tied to your level, but the level doesn't mean anything anymore. Either have levels with meaning, or implement another way of progression.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    It will have duelling?!! At last, so happy to hear that!
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    The author left out one of the main reasons for the Crown Crate controversy: some cosmetic items that can be won are unique to Crown Crates. A lot of players see this as unfair since they will most likely never have a chance to obtain these items without spending a small fortune on RNG boxes.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited August 2016

The author left out one of the main reasons for the Crown Crate controversy: some cosmetic items that can be won are unique to Crown Crates. A lot of players see this as unfair since they will most likely never have a chance to obtain these items without spending a small fortune on RNG boxes.

they talk about it in the website somewhere else : 10 stuft peoples should stop complaint and just accept

they are sold
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    It all sounds great to me!

I out leveled the normal zone content when Orsinium released and never went back to do it since I would be getting little or no exp from it. With Update 12 I can head back and continue the normal zones.

ESO has amazing updates IMO.. Still I would like to see them work on physics ( hair / cloth ) to update that part of the game to match the quality of everything else. And hopefully they will add a layer or two of DX12 support in the future.
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Hm ... I have nothing to play atm. Might as well check out ESO one more time.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited August 2016
    My wish list for ESO is next:

1. Spell Crafting
    2. Gw2 like World Meta Events Who played Gw2 know how lively all maps feel when people run around doing meta events .... Adding a Meta event Cosmetic and special sets will make Tamried World MORE alive .
    3. Oh I want wow Like PVP tournament with exclusive loot and all kinds of Tiers 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4 5v5 10v10 20v20 Why not?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Anireth said:
    So far i haven't seen a game where this really worked. Especially when it applies to PvP too (not sure if it does here?). Either you see basically no change to the first time coming through an area, or the scaling down is barely noticeable.

It's also hard to have a sense of progression when that is tied to your level, but the level doesn't mean anything anymore. Either have levels with meaning, or implement another way of progression.
    It has always applied to the PVP zone, Cyrodiil. This is only a new thing in the original zones as well. All the DLC zones have worked like this: you get bolstered to the zone level which is max level.

Orsinium, the first and largest DLC zone is, IMO, the best zone in the game. For one thing, the World Bosses there truly are group events unlike the rest of the game where they are solo challenges at best.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Ryan,

Not many people are saying that the crown crates are P2W and those that are are bending the meaning of "P2W" out of any recognizable shape. Dismissing the concern that some have with these on the basis that it isn't P2W is just cherry-picking the least effective argument to do a blanket dismissal of the legitimate concerns.

"Crown Crates will cost 400 crowns and will offer nothing that is not already or has been in the Crown Store."

I don't know if "offering nothing that is not already or has been in the Crown Store" will be the way they eventually implement this or not. But I do know that at Gamescon Matt Firor said something contrary to that. At 8;35 of this video he says "We are also going to add some super rare mounts that you can only get in these."

He seems to be saying that there will also be items that have never been and are not currently in the Crown Store.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• giberelinagiberelina Member UncommonPosts: 59

2. Gw2 like World Meta Events Who played Gw2 know how lively all maps feel when people run around doing meta events .... Adding a Meta event Cosmetic and special sets will make Tamried World MORE alive .

That would be great.
    I would also LOVE trade runs like in Archeage, Tamriel is beautiful to travel across.

Torval said:

I will be surprised if they add items straight to the loot crate. That would be bypassing guaranteed revenue.

Well I don't work in marketing so I don't know what's more effective. If something goes directly to the crown crates without also going through a direct sale first, yes that appears to leave some revenue behind. But it also enhances the appeal of the crown crates which may more than offset what they didn't get through direct sales.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    edited August 2016
    I could be wrong but it seemed pretty clear to me that there would be cosmetic items unique to the Crown Crates, bypassing being sold in the store all together.

If that is not the case then my issue with the crates drops significantly. As to my current understanding I think it is unfair to the players who have religiously collected all the 'limited time' goodies to not be able to engage in a straight-forward transaction for upcoming cosmetic goods.

Is it a deal breaker for me? No. I've gotten everything I have wanted. Nor do I think ZOS is *ever* going to add in Pay-to-Win items or stat goods like in BDO.

It's a minor sin at most. Still, I thought higher of TESO team prior to this, and my faith could be restored to its prior level if they would simply make the unique items available for purchase *at some point*. What would be wrong with putting say, the Special Unicorn Mount found only in the Crown Crates, up for sale in the regular Crown Store only six months later?

As cliche' as it sounds, it's the principle of the matter. Edited to add: Really looking forward to One Tam.
    I could be wrong but it seemed pretty clear to me that there would be cosmetic items unique to the Crown Crates, bypassing being sold in the store all together.

If that is not the case then my issue with the crates drops significantly. As to my current understanding I think it is unfair to the players who have religiously collected all the 'limited time' goodies to not be able to engage in a straight-forward transaction for upcoming cosmetic goods.

Is it a deal breaker for me? No. I've gotten everything I have wanted. Nor do I think ZOS is *ever* going to add in Pay-to-Win items or stat goods like in BDO.

It's a minor sin at most. Still, I thought higher of TESO team prior to this, and my faith could be restored to its prior level if they would simply make the unique items available for purchase *at some point*. What would be wrong with putting say, the Special Unicorn Mount found only in the Crown Crates, up for sale in the regular Crown Store only six months later?

As cliche' as it sounds, it's the principle of the matter. Edited to add: Really looking forward to One Tam.
    You're absolutely right. Lockboxes in MMOs have varying degrees of intrusiveness in their implementation. There are games like GW2 where you loot the boxes in the world and then have to buy the unlock keys which is much more obnoxious. There are also games like Neverwinter where your screen gets spammed with broadcast messages when someone opens one and gets something rare... even more obnoxious. And of course there are the ones where you do get items that provide a significant game play advantage where a legitimate P2W discussion would be appropriate.

This one will probably be pretty mild by comparison. But like you, I also think less of their team because of this addition.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited August 2016
    RE; Crown crates / lockboxes

Ryan,

Your an old SWG player, aren't you? You never got into "collecting" back in SWG? I did and TCG ruined that space of the game for me completely. It would seem that the term P2W has several connotations that could be applied. P2W is not just about PVP no matter what the small PVP community and developers in ALL of these games would like everyone to believe. Developers call it just PVP P2W so they can install this crap and state for the record, "it's not P2W" and that is self serving to the max. Back in Galaxies since the PVP community was about 8%, according to SOE's own metrics, I might venture to say that collecting might have been a larger part of the game than PVP ever was, even tho I was 1 of that PVP community. Or you didn't like the new paintings they kept putting into SWG and just never bothered to go get them,. grab the freebies?

Having played ESO for the last 6 months or so, collecting was a part of the game for me, even tho most of the new opportunities for collecting came straight out of the crown store. Was looking forward to housing, if they did it right, to proceed with that part of the game. However, like TCG, as soon as "crates" were announced, I knew then that this part of the game was a non-player unless I wanted to pay more than I was comfortable with.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of paying a sub for a MMO and then having to "gamble", with actual cash v RNG, to play ANY part of the game. F2P was about the worse idea that MMORPGs ever came up with. I put it right up there with the NGE and SOE was the grandfather of this with TCG.

So, I'm out of AAA MMORPGs and it appears, for good. I'm now starting up a SWGEMU server, SWGCHOICE.com which should be up sometime next week. If I'm going to outlay large amounts of cash, just to play a game, I believe I'll keep control of what can and will go into that plan. And, I can assure you that "lockboxes" is not and will never be a consideration. As with ANY EMU, a sub is also out, so this is totally out-of-pocket for me at least. Your more than welcome to "review" our server. And your comment of "waiting till it's done", I've seen MMORPG.com "review" many games not completed. In fact, a normal MMORPG is NEVER completed so I would imagine you should wait a long, long, time to "review" anything.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Any know what eso team recommend for set up?some game supply color profile (srgb)some dont. Some hate borderless full screen .some dont care. Some use color.org version of srgb version 2 some dont . i tried defaulting to virtual srgb sadly it look like color.org version and ms dont agree with each other .and on top of that gpu it self can scale or screen .color .gamma etc .isnt there a way to get hd quality .and not just resolution. Seeing everything like i had the wrong glasses isnt my idea of hd.  Ty
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They needed to do something. I haven't logged-in in a long time and the thing is I haven't wanted to even though I once enjoyed the game a lot. Perhaps this will breath new life into the game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Torval said:

If the main point of the game is collecting stuff and there is a competitive structure to it then selling cosmetics in the cash shop would be pay to win. ESO is not about collecting as a core. It has a nice collections and achievements system but they are support systems to the core game play.

That's why I was shocked that a game that had so good a crafting and collecting system was poor in inventory space for such things and is why I just stopped crafting and collecting as I could level without it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    The only game that doesn't have anything other than cosmetics in the store and people are still using the Pay 2 Win schtick. Cmon now that argument does not apply to a game that doesn't have anything but cosmetics in their store. I for one am very happy about the boxes it gives me something to spend my crowns on from my subscription in the hopes of getting for example, the soulshriven skin and some exp bonuses which I need to help some of my toons level. I already make better food and better potions than what these things offer so it's not like it's going to give me an advantage when using the potions or food sheesh people get a grip.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

Still 1 month to wait. And then housing wait :P

They are coming out with the updates like crazy on this game I for once am not disappointed or angry at the time frame. For example, World of Warcraft just now released their latest after waiting for a long long time, and GW2 is releasing tiny bits of updates with no real consequences or changes on the game. It's one of the few titles where they actually do what they say.
  • ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55
    The header stated this on the front page:
    The Elder Scrolls Online is going back to its roots. Before the game was Buy to Play, it was Pay to Play and all the major updates were free. With update 12, everything will be completely free. While this update does not include any new zones or storylines, it does change the core aspect of the game as a whole. It is a new way to play ESO, especially if you are a new or returning player to Tamriel.

As a subscriber to ESO, I welcome the update but NOTHING about this update has anything to do with what is stated on the front page. Things are not completely free....just kind of shoddy reporting there guys
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

RE; Crown crates / lockboxes

Ryan,

Your an old SWG player, aren't you? You never got into "collecting" back in SWG? I did and TCG ruined that space of the game for me completely. It would seem that the term P2W has several connotations that could be applied. P2W is not just about PVP no matter what the small PVP community and developers in ALL of these games would like everyone to believe. Developers call it just PVP P2W so they can install this crap and state for the record, "it's not P2W" and that is self serving to the max. Back in Galaxies since the PVP community was about 8%, according to SOE's own metrics, I might venture to say that collecting might have been a larger part of the game than PVP ever was, even tho I was 1 of that PVP community. Or you didn't like the new paintings they kept putting into SWG and just never bothered to go get them,. grab the freebies?

Having played ESO for the last 6 months or so, collecting was a part of the game for me, even tho most of the new opportunities for collecting came straight out of the crown store. Was looking forward to housing, if they did it right, to proceed with that part of the game. However, like TCG, as soon as "crates" were announced, I knew then that this part of the game was a non-player unless I wanted to pay more than I was comfortable with.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of paying a sub for a MMO and then having to "gamble", with actual cash v RNG, to play ANY part of the game. F2P was about the worse idea that MMORPGs ever came up with. I put it right up there with the NGE and SOE was the grandfather of this with TCG.

So, I'm out of AAA MMORPGs and it appears, for good. I'm now starting up a SWGEMU server, SWGCHOICE.com which should be up sometime next week. If I'm going to outlay large amounts of cash, just to play a game, I believe I'll keep control of what can and will go into that plan. And, I can assure you that "lockboxes" is not and will never be a consideration. As with ANY EMU, a sub is also out, so this is totally out-of-pocket for me at least. Your more than welcome to "review" our server. And your comment of "waiting till it's done", I've seen MMORPG.com "review" many games not completed. In fact, a normal MMORPG is NEVER completed so I would imagine you should wait a long, long, time to "review" anything.

If you are subbing to ESO as you say then you would know you wouldnt be paying " cash " for Crates because you get 1500 crowns per month for free.

Also people are forgetting that there is nothing in the Crates than anyone needs. Only something that someone could want and depending on how much you want it will determine if you think it is worth the price.

Easy.