Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC piracy survey results: 35 percent of PC gamers pirate

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    So this is a group of people who aren't smart enough to lie that they do that?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I wonder if whales pirate just because they can?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    people tend to look at this piracy very simplistically which is understandable. theft = bad. simple done.

however when someone in the industry who makes a living off selling games ends up defending basically theft it makes peoples minds blown. The difference however is between the people who listen to that persons explanation as to why and the people who then leave the room.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Many of the games today are social experiences.

I recall the first Call of Duty games had no matchmaking. There was no difference playing on a pirated server, to playing on an official server. I'd imagine it's much more difficult today.

Running a Minecraft server open to pirated clients is a huge hassle. You would need to expose the server to all sorts of modified clients and packets. That's why majority of serious server owners wouldn't consider it.

I suppose being a pirate is very inconvenient in a good number of games, even if you get the game to run without issues. You still face the problem of not being able to access the official servers (and the online content).
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    For me it's not worth it.  Just evaluate, buy, d/l, and play, end of story. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    It could be that people pirate more openly due to how many games have been technical failures on day one this past 5 years alone. Yet they still try hard to push pre-orders.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    basically much if not most of the region that pirate the games themselves are either A. illegal to sell B. Unattainable legally C. So expensive nobody in that region is going to buy them.

So the developer has the option of either A. having that region nearly completely disconnected as a fan base or B. at least having fans in the region which over time might help the region become better about legal distribution and/or have fans for events that otherwise would not go.

although slightly different there are similarities this is why many in the music industry actually are ok with piracy because it opens up huge concert possibilities that otherwise would not exist at all. 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited August 2016
    the countries surprised me , i tho the most pirates were from south america .... they are always talking about how they dont even  have $$$ for food so they are "forced" to pirate games....blablaba

the link to wages from EU ...lol....GL gaining more than 900€ ....but first u need to get a Job...4M on ppl w/o work around here
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    edited August 2016
    Warlyx said:
    the countries surprised me , i tho the most pirates were from south america .... they are always talking about how they dont even  have $$$ for food so they are "forced" to pirate games....blablaba
    Much of the time it is cuz the games cost more down there or aren't even available to begin with. Piracy is wrong and isn't wrong at the same time. Developers need to get it through their heads that they either make a demo for some people or they will pirate the game to try it out. A lot more people have less disposable income, there are countries where these things aren't available at all, and all that and then a lot of games ask for 60 dollars and turn out terrible or so short that they aren't worth 60 dollars and I'd be better off going to 3 movies with someone else for entertainment value. 

Also it is highly variable based on which south american country some are poor, but some have money, but things involving electronic and entertainment goods are overpriced (brazil if i recall is horrid for electronics especially anything costing over 150 dollars).

I frankly wish these companies would just say give an good demo that shows varying parts of the game, what we can expect etc, many game demos in the past literally only showed some of the best parts of games and were drags the rest of the games. I'd also feel worse if these companies weren't lining their pockets with heavy profits and literally overspending on game budgets (there is little to no reason you need to hire a celebrity to do voice acting/appearances in a video game sorry) often with the advertising budget being so massive.... 

The only people I feel bad for are indie developers trying to break into the scene that have their games pirated to the point it hurts them, but to them I say the same thing of offering demos and please please please offer something unique without DRM. The Witcher started out as an indie title and even with piracy has been a major success. 

Also anyone else find this a little disingenuous of pc gamer to say 35% of PC gamers pirate? A - they should say out of 50,000 surveyed 35% of them pirate PC games. Given the sample size is like not even 1% of the overall estimated PC gaming market according to intel in 2014 (it has likely grown from that 711 million figure) this article by them is HUGELY misleading. 

And B - even taking that into account you can never really make a survey mean for that entire base of people. It is always going to be the amount of people surveyed that it counts toward. Unless you survey the entire base you aren't going to get a solid number one way or another. Percentages with such a low percent of the gamer population is literally absurd in this situation. 
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    I buy most games but I also pirate some. The ones I pirate are usually games I would never buy because I don't think they are worth their money. If they want my money they should have done a better job and not cry in a corner about how everyone is 'stealing' their money.

I don't see it as stealing because I don't take away a limited resource.

Taking an item out of a shop means that shopkeeper loses profit because the item is GONE.
    Taking a copy of an infinite resource is not stealing, you wouldn't have bought it anyway so the 'shopkeeper' aint losing sh*t.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Of those 35%, how many buy games besides getting pirated games?

The impact of pirates that don't buy any game is far higher then people who spend a sum on games each months and then use pirated games for some more entertainment.

And you also have people who download pirate versions of games that don't have a demo/trial version to test the game before buying it (yeah, that is mostly common for game with a small single player campaign and lots of multiplayer content but people like that exist, I know a few that actually buys the game they enjoy if they like it after 3 days).

My point anyways is that some of the pirates are worse then others so the 35% number is still a bit fuzzy.

Still, in the 80s I think 99% of all games were pirated. "Gianna sisters" were one of the most popular C-64 games ever but it was just sold for a few days before a Nintendo lawsuit stopped all legal sales. Still, everyone had it... There were plenty of people with 1000 games that owned 1 or 2 originals (or zero). Of course, the games for the C-64 basically cost as much as a modern game do today and that was a lot of money back then.
    SEANMCAD said:
    although slightly different there are similarities this is why many in the music industry actually are ok with piracy because it opens up huge concert possibilities that otherwise would not exist at all. 
    Those are musicians and bands, they generally get little from the record companies and get their main income from concerts and T-shirts Someone working at a record company would have a rather different opinion.

Still, Not really relevant here since the gaming T-shirt sales is pretty low...
    Loke666 said:

The impact of pirates that don't buy any game is far higher then people who spend a sum on games each months and then use pirated games for some more entertainment.

And you also have people who download pirate versions of games that don't have a demo/trial version to test the game before buying it (yeah, that is mostly common for game with a small single player campaign and lots of multiplayer content but people like that exist, I know a few that actually buys the game they enjoy if they like it after 3 days).

My point anyways is that some of the pirates are worse then others so the 35% number is still a bit fuzzy.

Still, in the 80s I think 99% of all games were pirated. "Gianna sisters" were one of the most popular C-64 games ever but it was just sold for a few days before a Nintendo lawsuit stopped all legal sales. Still, everyone had it... There were plenty of people with 1000 games that owned 1 or 2 originals (or zero). Of course, the games for the C-64 basically cost as much as a modern game do today and that was a lot of money back then.
    SEANMCAD said:
    Those are musicians and bands, they generally get little from the record companies and get their main income from concerts and T-shirts Someone working at a record company would have a rather different opinion.

I know more people that pirate to try games than I do people that pirate to get a game for free. A prime example of this was I pirated Arkham Knight and then ended up purchasing it when I found I had no issues playing it (as I love those games in general) I wanted to test it cuz i heard all the horror stories about it. There are many in some of these countries that only really have the option to pirate these games too. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Theres so much for free why the need to pirate?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    A long time ago, like the late 90's early 2000's, several of my college classmates pirated a few games and installed them in computer labs for multiplayer.  What I found is that it generally wasn't worth it.  You have to keep on top of the updates yourself, you have to jump through flaming hoops to make the game work in the first place and a lot of the piracy pushers have very loose morals when it comes to infecting computers with shit you don't want.

Steam Sales, among other similar retailers, have been the best thing in the world.  If I want to play a game, but I don't feel that it's worth the box price, then I simply wait six months to a year.

Not only that, but 10 or 15 years ago, a game would stay the same price for years.  The box price of KOTOR, for example, didn't budge for a long time, as did the Baldur's Gate series.  The reason is that there wasn't the same enormous glut of PC games then that there are now.  These days a game releases with a box price, and unless it sells fantastically well like the CoD series, then the price will drop almost guaranteed in a few months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    edited August 2016
    I don't pirate games and never really did even at the height of my using P2P software for other things.  I simply wait for major sales on games a year or more after release.

If I was looking to pirate, a game like NMS would be the perfect one to choose though. :) 
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    what blizzard games are pirated nowadays? they are all f2p or online....

Hots f2p and online, HS f2p and online, OW Online , Wow Online (outside pirated servers ) , Starcraft ....ok i guess...but still has online component dunno if u are even able to pirate it .

EA i can understand ¬¬ ....and yeah DLC day 1 sucks , bugged as hell games , founder packs , and everything around that makes players go mad....
    H0urg1ass said:
    A long time ago, like the late 90's early 2000's, several of my college classmates pirated a few games and installed them in computer labs for multiplayer.  What I found is that it generally wasn't worth it.  You have to keep on top of the updates yourself, you have to jump through flaming hoops to make the game work in the first place and a lot of the piracy pushers have very loose morals when it comes to infecting computers with shit you don't want.

Steam Sales, among other similar retailers, have been the best thing in the world.  If I want to play a game, but I don't feel that it's worth the box price, then I simply wait six months to a year.

Not only that, but 10 or 15 years ago, a game would stay the same price for years.  The box price of KOTOR, for example, didn't budge for a long time, as did the Baldur's Gate series.  The reason is that there wasn't the same enormous glut of PC games then that there are now.  These days a game releases with a box price, and unless it sells fantastically well like the CoD series, then the price will drop almost guaranteed in a few months.
    Back in the late 90's and early 2000's and even up to the mid 2000's unless it was an MMORPG you were frequently having to keep on top of game updates yourself. It wasn't really until digital distribution took off in a massive way that you started to see automatic updating become a more normal thing. In fact if you get games off GoG and use the installer for that you need to keep on top of the updates manually still many times and many of the pirated copies back then would of been used for lan which wouldn't be through flaming hoops, many people did lan multiplayer even with legit copies of the games and did the same small amount of work needed. 

Basically you are stating you didn't like gaming much before digital distribution and auto updating became a thing :-P
    Loke666 said:

SEANMCAD said:

I know more people that pirate to try games than I do people that pirate to get a game for free. A prime example of this was I pirated Arkham Knight and then ended up purchasing it when I found I had no issues playing it (as I love those games in general) I wanted to test it cuz i heard all the horror stories about it. There are many in some of these countries that only really have the option to pirate these games too. 
    Good point and one that is backed up by the survey results of many people doing the same. Using it as a
    'try before you buy' kind of thing.

Realistically it puts the ratio at a lost sale onto something like every 9th or 10th pirated copy might be a lost sale instead of a 1:1 ratio. So if we start dividing estimated numbers thrown out by 9-10 you end up with a lot lower of an impact, but again that is using this survey which is still like .007% of the pc game player base (as of 2014 it was 711 million according to intel) this number that buy could be higher or lower and the amount that never buy or always buy could see the same and same with rarely. Ultimately though yeah the impact is much much much lower than the publishers want people to believe.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    A cousin's cousin's friend's brother told me.....   Pirating isn't always easy cut and dry.  A lot of the cracked exe's have viruses and the likes.  And they don't make them properly so they will do stuff like not run properly or use directx properly.  They even have games that when closed do not stop running and when you open task manager the game is still using all the resources.  They also cannot take advantage of online features or previous saves from older games like Dragonage.

Sometimes it pays off and is easier then other times.  But some people find themselves buying steam sales because its cheap and you don't have to deal with all the stuff that comes with pirating.  Not to mention you must look at naked girls in order to download anything.  
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    The way CD Projekt Red has addressed piracy is the best solution.  Create a product that is worth paying full price for.  Fuck your DRM.  Treat your customers right and you will be rewarded.

I pirate games and I have for years. I buy the ones that are good and worth spending money on.  
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I only pirate a game that I have a genuine interest. And 100% of the times, I either buy or uninstall and never play that POS again.

I have over 1,2k games on steam and if they still released demos, we wouldn't need to torrent games to try them out.

My recent piracy was No Man's Sky. Played for an hour and couldn't stomach another minute.
    Demo played, game sucked, 60 bucks saved.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    H0urg1ass said:

That is true, but since few games makes demos or trial versions today it is an entire matter if you want to try the game before buying it (I of course don't recommend anyone to do anything illegal). The way most games get patched today you want a legal version of a new game. Of course older games with many micro transactions probably get pirated more.

But yeah, if you think a game is too expensive waiting a while is generally the smartest move. The reason prices stayed the same so long before was that physical retailers did have to buy the games before selling them so lowering the price meant little to none profits. Steam is a different matter, there the publisher lower the prices when the sales drop too much to sell more games.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited August 2016
    I only pirate a game that I have a genuine interest. And 100% of the times, I either buy or uninstall and never play that POS again.

I have over 1,2k games on steam and if they still released demos, we wouldn't need to torrent games to try them out.

My recent piracy was No Man's Sky. Played for an hour and couldn't stomach another minute.
    Demo played, game sucked, 60 bucks saved.

Or you could have bought it from Steam, tried it for 2 hours and asked to return it and stayed on the legal side of things.

But moral compasses are clearly broken these days.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon