Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Anet slowly turning into Trion?

2»

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Let me know when getting the best gear and conveniences in GW2 costs hundreds of dollars. GW2 costs $49.99 including the expansion and has a pretty inconsequential cash shop in terms of impact on the game and community. You sound like a petulant child who didn't get what he thought he deserved. 
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    filmoret said:
    A buy 2 play game with more world events,  more area events,  more ways to level,  at least 3 yearly living world changes.  Along with several yearly festivals.  Dood you got your money's worth.  I don't see any other game b2p, f2p, or subscription that gives their players this much bang for their buck.
    This right here.  I play GW2 from time to time, I come and go.  This game always seems to offer a decent amount.  After I payed for my product and upgrade if I choose, I can do whatever I want in game.
  • furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Let me know when getting the best gear and conveniences in GW2 costs hundreds of dollars. GW2 costs $49.99 including the expansion and has a pretty inconsequential cash shop in terms of impact on the game and community. You sound like a petulant child who didn't get what he thought he deserved. 
    That's rude, I never intended to sound like that. I think I explained my nostalgia.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Since I enjoy a lot of Trion products, I wouldn't think that it's a bad thing.  Trove, Rift, even AA with it's monetization was fun.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    filmoret said:
    A buy 2 play game with more world events,  more area events,  more ways to level,  at least 3 yearly living world changes.  Along with several yearly festivals.  Dood you got your money's worth.  I don't see any other game b2p, f2p, or subscription that gives their players this much bang for their buck.
    EQ2

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    What I take issue with the most is when monetization invades my game play and I have to, in some way, play through, play around, or buy from the cash shop. If when I am playing the game as intended, and it's design intentionally conveys an incomplete experience unless I bought something, or if the moentization model smacks me in the face, both figuratively and literally, I tend to walk away from those games.

I don't get that from GW2. right now.

I'll tell you what did piss me off with ANET, is when they destroyed the old Lion's Arch and moved the city's resources away, but deliberately kept it so that you had to travel to other cities to craft, otherwise you were at the Vigil for everything else, like the Mystic Toilet........Oh, but then ANET was right there to the rescue offering passes to the airship right there at the vigil to those obviously missing crafting stations.

Sure, it was only a slightly minor inconvenience, but to me, it felt like a deliberate and intentionally developed one to encourage the ship pass sales.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Oh, but then ANET was right there to the rescue offering passes to the airship right there at the vigil to those obviously missing crafting stations.

Sure, it was only a slightly minor inconvenience, but to me, it felt like a deliberate and intentionally developed one to encourage the ship pass sales.
    I do remember that and that secluded area in Divinity's reach.
    It really was a cheap approach...
    However there are so many free alternatives that I just shrugged it off.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Folks,

I wanted to share my views for the past few days. What bugs me is this 4th anniversary... sale? I mean one would expect at least some sort of festival, some activities and what not. But now we get... SALES. On Gem store. Just asking for your money because it's 4th anniversay. Pay up. Spend!

Not cool.

Agreed?
    Well, as per the vast majority of responses in this thread . .  in answer to your original question . . . nope, no agreement.  It's just you. 
  • CormacrCormacr Member CommonPosts: 4
    edited September 2016
    GW2 has always done sales on the gem store. None of it is pay to win (unless you count the watchwork pick, which some people would, but I don't). The problem is not that they are suddenly pushing the gem store (they aren't), but that they are gradually pushing out less game content, so it seems as if the gem store is the only thing they are doing these days. One thing they've stopped doing is putting out lucky dip boxes for rare skins, like they had with some season 1 stuff (although they still have Black Lion chests). Those sort of tactics were borderline predatory.
    Post edited by Cormacr on
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    What I take issue with the most is when monetization invades my game play and I have to, in some way, play through, play around, or buy from the cash shop. If when I am playing the game as intended, and it's design intentionally conveys an incomplete experience unless I bought something, or if the moentization model smacks me in the face, both figuratively and literally, I tend to walk away from those games.

I don't get that from GW2. right now.

I'll tell you what did piss me off with ANET, is when they destroyed the old Lion's Arch and moved the city's resources away, but deliberately kept it so that you had to travel to other cities to craft, otherwise you were at the Vigil for everything else, like the Mystic Toilet........Oh, but then ANET was right there to the rescue offering passes to the airship right there at the vigil to those obviously missing crafting stations.

But the new LA has those services back and now there are the guild halls.

The problem with Anet monetization is the fact that they still don´t know if it is a character based game or an account based game.

I came from GW1 so I was expecting an account based game and the general direction of the game is moving into an account based game, but there are still relics of the past where that direction wasn't as clear (like the mining tools).

I guess that is a criticism you can make of ANet - they never have a definitive direction for their games.
    On the other hand that is also a strength of Anet - never afraid of redoing something.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders