Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky drops nearly 90% of players since release on PC

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Shodanas said:
    ReaperUk said:
    To put it into context, PC Gamer says:

"compared to other, better-received recent releases, NMS may not be cratering as badly as it appears. Far Cry Primal, for instance, saw its peak player count slide 82 percent over its first month of release; Fallout 4 dropped by 74 percent; Doom fell by 85 percent; Battleborn slid by 82 percent; Stellaris dropped by 82 percent; even The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which we recently placed atop our Top 100 Games list, saw its peak player count slide by 71 percent during its first month of release. The hugely popular Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain slipped by an almost identical amount. One notable exception is Stardew Valley, which saw its peak user count slip by just 30 percent over its first month."

So not so disastrous after all. I'm still enjoying it. Probably played getting on for 100 hours and I'm still in the original system on just my third planet. Still discovering new things every day.

edit link:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/concurrent-players-no-mans-sky/

One month =/= 10 days.

90% in 10 days in unprecedented. It clearly shows something.

For the ones willing to see that is..

Yeah, but it's concurrent players, not user base. The average playtime for the user base is 17 hours. That's coming from the same source. So it's possible that the entire user base is still playing it daily, just not all at once. Here's a concept. What do you do when you buy a new game? Personally, I'll go home and play it. Imagine if you could just buy that game and immediately play it. What would you do? Probably play it. The fact that there was a peak of 200k players in a day was crazy. However, I'm not sure what the relevance of that is in the grand scheme of things. Again, there is additional supporting information suggesting that people are, actually, playing the game. Just go look through the graphs on steamspy yourself. Also, remember what concurrent means. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Draco18sDraco18s Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Its kind of too early to tell, both because concurrent isn't a good measure for a new game, and because there's very few data points on the other metrics.  But it does seem like sales have slowed massively (look at the "# owners" graph).  Generally speaking, yes, most of the sales are going to occur within the first few weeks, barring sales, but for NMS it looks like it's almost completely leveled off.

In any case, I still wouldn't call it DOA, but based on the impressions I'm getting from people I know well, it doesn't sound like a game I want to pick up (but it did a few months ago, with reservations).
    CrazKanuk said:
    Shodanas said:
    ReaperUk said:

"compared to other, better-received recent releases, NMS may not be cratering as badly as it appears. Far Cry Primal, for instance, saw its peak player count slide 82 percent over its first month of release; Fallout 4 dropped by 74 percent; Doom fell by 85 percent; Battleborn slid by 82 percent; Stellaris dropped by 82 percent; even The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which we recently placed atop our Top 100 Games list, saw its peak player count slide by 71 percent during its first month of release. The hugely popular Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain slipped by an almost identical amount. One notable exception is Stardew Valley, which saw its peak user count slip by just 30 percent over its first month."

So not so disastrous after all. I'm still enjoying it. Probably played getting on for 100 hours and I'm still in the original system on just my third planet. Still discovering new things every day.

edit link:

One month =/= 10 days.

Yeah, but it's concurrent players, not user base. The average playtime for the user base is 17 hours. That's coming from the same source. So it's possible that the entire user base is still playing it daily, just not all at once. Here's a concept. What do you do when you buy a new game? Personally, I'll go home and play it. Imagine if you could just buy that game and immediately play it. What would you do? Probably play it. The fact that there was a peak of 200k players in a day was crazy. However, I'm not sure what the relevance of that is in the grand scheme of things. Again, there is additional supporting information suggesting that people are, actually, playing the game. Just go look through the graphs on steamspy yourself. Also, remember what concurrent means. 
    Not only that but this number is ONLY Steam. Not GOG (where I bought it) or the PS4. The number is higher than just Steam players.

True. They don't have GOGSpy though :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    CrazKanuk said:
    Shodanas said:
    ReaperUk said:

edit link:

One month =/= 10 days.

Not only that but this number is ONLY Steam. Not GOG (where I bought it) or the PS4. The number is higher than just Steam players.
    The actual number is irrelevant, it's the % drop that's important.

I'm quite sure that the trend on Steam will also be reflected in the GOG and PS4 player base.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Shodanas said:
    ReaperUk said:

edit link:

One month =/= 10 days.

The actual number is irrelevant, it's the % drop that's important.

I'm quite sure that the trend on Steam will also be reflected in the GOG and PS4 player base.
    It's not just the trend that is important. All of the data points are important. There is more data available than just trending. And that should all be looked at in context. Unfortunately agendas, and our love of negativity, trumps critical thinking and people hone in on one piece of data taken out of context and draw all sorts of ludicrous conclusions.

Agreed!!!! Like so hard! Did I mention that No Man's Sky is in the top 10 most played games on steam in the past 2 weeks? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This new doesn't really matter to Murray and company. They already got a butt load of money thanks to the hype put out by game sites and magazines.
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    edited August 2016
    I don't quite get that obsession about NMS? I followed the game a bit, but by the time it was to be released, I had a fairly good grasp of what it was (and what it was not), hence why I still have'nt bought it yet.. A bit too expensive for an indy title imo and because I know that will end up like most of the "exploration" games I have played (fun in the beginning which ends up boring and repetitive once you have discovered all the game mechanics and have all the unlocks, etc.).

It's a single player game.. How is the "population" any relevant anyway? So what if player base has dropped since release? Have any similar thread been done about the latest uncharted or other SP games?  Who cares, it's a single player game that you can pick an play at anytime you want, without relying on the overall population (compared to MP and MMORPG).
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

It's a single player game.. How is the "population" any relevant anyway? So what if player base has dropped since release? 
    because people are refering to sales and popularity of the game. they are saying its a clear indicator that the game is not that good.

I thought that was obvious but I guess not so much

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Who cares about PC players should of left it a PS4 exclusive. 

Who cares about PC players should of left it a PS4 exclusive. 
    this is why

http://www.winbeta.org/news/pc-games-still-rule-consoles-mobile-2015-sales

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    It's not about what the game has, it's about what the game doesn't have. Let's face it, most people that bought the game were riding the hype train, fixated on the good and perhaps exaggerated stuff while neglecting the potentially downsides. Now the game's out, people get to experience it first hand, and obviously they were disappointed since the game is... let's just say it's an acquired taste. The game is certainly quite unique and is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. But is it appealing to the masses as of now? Well, the statistics speak for themselves.
    It's not about what the game has, it's about what the game doesn't have. Let's face it, most people that bought the game were riding the hype train, fixated on the good and perhaps exaggerated stuff while neglecting the potentially downsides. Now the game's out, people get to experience it first hand, and obviously they were disappointed since the game is... let's just say it's an acquired taste. The game is certainly quite unique and is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. But is it appealing to the masses as of now? Well, the statistics speak for themselves.
    exactly.

you only need about a weeks time for the players to think that they 'might return it' before you are out of the woods and have their cash on hand. 

so release on a monday is a best.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It's also fifth on steam charts for concurrent players with 212,321 people.

http://steamcharts.com/

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Draco18sDraco18s Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Nilden said:
    It's also fifth on steam charts for concurrent players with 212,321 people.

http://steamcharts.com/
    You don't say.
    Funny.
    https://s14.postimg.org/fqdg4r3fl/you_dont_say.png
    (Screenshot taken 8 minutes after quoted post)
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    SEANMCAD said:

It's a single player game.. How is the "population" any relevant anyway? So what if player base has dropped since release? 
    because people are refering to sales and popularity of the game. they are saying its a clear indicator that the game is not that good.

I thought that was obvious but I guess not so much
    mm.. not really..
    OP is talking about a player population drop.  The game had one of (if not the) top release numbers on steam for 2016.. I would think that  a lot of those already have more than 30hrs of game time, which ( for an singe player) is pretty standard stuff.

This does not change my view, and I still don't see how this is really important to note, aside than to try and continue trashing the game (probably because some of those gamers thought that this game would have infinite gameplay? can someone be as gullible as that? ).

I would be curious to  see the same observation for another single player game that was this popular at launch? I would think (maybe wrongly) the numbers would be be very similar.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I wonder why... Crap, Overpriced, Boring, dull game that had only a fraction of what was said to be in game, rest was either postponed or pulled out of game. Oh and then the bugs (some of which have been fixed but not all).

Wonder if that has anything to do with why its dropping, sure fastest selling game but also biggest refunded game of the year...

Game was completly well Over-Hyped by fanboi's (as per usual, and as per usual, when thios happens the game is always a BIG dissapointment), whatch out any game thats got alot of Hype about it will probably end up being a PoS.

Having a bunch of players at start and that dropping to nothing in months is what about 90% of the games on steam do, there are plenty of graphs to prove that. The only games that have regular player bases are games like Team Fortress 2 and every other FPS in existence and games like "Adventure Capitalist" which is a "watch the numbers go up forever" game. Those kinds of games is what people want to stick to, thankfully I'm in the 10% that actually "plays" a game even though it doesn't have uber graphics, explosions and 26 quests telling me what I need to do to be cool. =)

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
    Acterius said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Just like PGO, this title is likely to have a very short lifespan
    According to EVE Offline there are only 19.8k players in Tranquility and it's 24 peak was a meager 26k. By the same sort of staggering powers of gamer deduction used by the OPs of these threads, EVE must be headed for shutdown pretty quick. If nothing else it's an obvious failure right?
    Difference is EVE paid the investors off, plus the game has had a lot of players thru the years. NMS will be lucky to break even. I may pick it up when in bargain bin, if it ever gets to that place. 

Break even? Break EVEN?!? They had a team of 10!!! Hello Games as a company is comprised of 15 people (according to Wikipedia). Fact: They've sold nearly 800,000 copies through Steam. Steam takes a 30% or so cut of that. So their sales on steam alone have been about $3.5 million. That will support operating the CIG offices of 300 employees for 1 month (based on CR and DS), so Hello Games could operate for nearly 2 years on the 2 weeks worth of Steam sales alone. They also have their Playstation exclusivity. Not sure how much was paid for that. Plus you've got PS4 sales and PC sales outside Steam. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Still playing, still on the first planet too with a trip to the space station once. Game is fun too me and since it's single player it doesn't matter to me how many people are playing.
    i am really curious why you are that long on the 1st planet since theres not much to explore but empty caverns and uninteresting landscape with the same ruines, animals combos and resources everywhere.

• Charliff1966Charliff1966 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Goromhir said:
    Still playing, still on the first planet too with a trip to the space station once. Game is fun too me and since it's single player it doesn't matter to me how many people are playing.
    i am really curious why you are that long on the 1st planet since theres not much to explore but empty caverns and uninteresting landscape with the same ruines, animals combos and resources everywhere.

Still haven't a 100℅ score on wildlife. Still haven't got all question marks. For you that's boring. For me it's fun. I didn't follow the game before it got released, I saw a ps4 stream and bought it.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    edited August 2016
    I can not remember the last time a $60 game had ratings this low on Steam upon release, even TWRome2 had higher ratings, and that was a complete turd.

edited August 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다