Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daum/pearl abyss, lied again! [Awakening released 1 by 1]

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited August 2016
    I thought everybody was done because the game went P2W.

Guess not.  :o

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'd guess that Pearl Abyss decided that they can make more money somehow if they release these one-by-one.

So much for delaying them so that they can "all be released at the same time to keep it fair for everyone", lol

The bait-and-switch is real...
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I'd guess that Pearl Abyss decided that they can make more money somehow if they release these one-by-one.

So much for delaying them so that they can "all be released at the same time to keep it fair for everyone", lol

I'd question how much money they're making. With recent events my guess is that they're doing what they can to keep the game running for those who actually enjoy playing it. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    DMKano said:
    This is what players need to understand about MMO business:

Plans change - also CMs are the LAST to know about changes.

So in this case original plan was to release all at once - they told this to CMs - so CMs posted this info.

Then they internally changed it - so again CMs were the last to know.

In order for the above to be a LIE - you'd have to prove that they were intentionally feeding incorrect information to their CMs.

A much higher likelyhood is that their original plan changed.

This idea that what CMs say is Gospel that is 100% never to be changed is just absurd.

CM's are the game's spokespersons. They are the game developer's voice and the venue by which game developers communicate with their player base.  They speak and convey messages directly from the game's developers to the player base.  As such, CM's are Daum/PA/Kakao and Daum/PA/Kakao are the CM's. There is no difference between these entities.  

So while there may be a valid argument to be made that MMO's are an ever evolving business, and as such, subject to change from month to month, trying to make a differentiation between game developer and community manager (CM) is just an excuse, and a massively failed one at that.  They are all one and the same.  
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    CrazKanuk said:

I'd question how much money they're making. With recent events my guess is that they're doing what they can to keep the game running for those who actually enjoy playing it. 
    It would be interesting to know what their plan is, not sure how they would benefit from stringing it out though, can't see it generating them any more revenue?
    Be interesting to see how much of a hit there has been to the playerbase, trouble is, the only people i know who played, don't anymore, so i can't ask them  :o
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:

So in this case original plan was to release all at once - they told this to CMs - so CMs posted this info.

In order for the above to be a LIE - you'd have to prove that they were intentionally feeding incorrect information to their CMs.

This idea that what CMs say is Gospel that is 100% never to be changed is just absurd.

I suspect they couldn't pull it off. =/
    I remember reading some mention of how hard it was to extract certain things from patches, and releasing them separately because the whole thing was originally meant to go together.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited August 2016
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

It would be interesting to know what their plan is, not sure how they would benefit from stringing it out though, can't see it generating them any more revenue?
    Be interesting to see how much of a hit there has been to the playerbase, trouble is, the only people i know who played, don't anymore, so i can't ask them  :o

It's hard to argue against the case that the reason they are doing this is to generate more revenue.  Because, by now, the majority of players own more than one class, with a good majority going as far as owning one of every class.  So that by stringing out the release of these weapons they keep players hooked and interested, and coming back to test and experience each weapon as it is released thereby keeping the money flow going.  While certainly greedy in nature, it is also a very shrewd business strategy.  No one, however, should be surprised by this change in strategy.  As money grabs go, this is about as blatant and obvious a money grab as they come.  Daum/PA/Kakao have already proven, a multitude times over, that they take the meaning of "greed" into a higher stratosphere.  

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    You've got to think like a marketing snake.  No Man's Sky has overtaken the news.  For Kakao that is terrible.  They need to get Black Desert Online back on top.  How do you do that?  Make BDO more controversial than No Man's Sky.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

It's hard to argue against the case that the reason they are doing this is to generate more revenue.  Because, by now, the majority of players own more than one class, with a good majority going as far as owning one of every class.  So that by stringing out the release of these weapons they keep people interested and coming back and testing each weapon as it is released, thereby keeping the money flow going.  While certainly greedy in nature, it is also a very shrewd business strategy.  No one, however, should be surprised by this change in strategy.  As money grabs go, this is about as obvious a money grab as they come.  Daum/PA/Kakao have already proven, a multitude times over, that they take the meaning of "greed" into a higher stratosphere.  

And now i understand why they are using that method, sorry for being slow, yes it does sound like a plan based on greed.
    They must really not care about the players any more if they are willing to handle the game in this way though, Kakao certainly wouldn't win any awards for PR. O.o
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

It's hard to argue against the case that the reason they are doing this is to generate more revenue.  Because, by now, the majority of players own more than one class, with a good majority going as far as owning one of every class.  So that by stringing out the release of these weapons they keep people interested and coming back and testing each weapon as it is released, thereby keeping the money flow going.  While certainly greedy in nature, it is also a very shrewd business strategy.  No one, however, should be surprised by this change in strategy.  As money grabs go, this is about as obvious a money grab as they come.  Daum/PA/Kakao have already proven, a multitude times over, that they take the meaning of "greed" into a higher stratosphere.  

And now i understand why they are using that method, sorry for being slow, yes it does sound like a plan based on greed.
    They must really not care about the players any more if they are willing to handle the game in this way though, Kakao certainly wouldn't win any awards for PR. O.o

Does it? It seems to me like a scramble. This seems rushed and unplanned. Again, this is another probably with what is being propagated down. It's a poisonous idea that all these companies are out to get the consumer. Think about it. How many companies have you worked for in the past? How many of them were focused on scamming people or just taking as much money as they can before they get caught? None, right? That's because it's not sustainable. It sounds like they're trying to figure out a way to be sustainable at this point, or die trying. My guess is death. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

... "It's a poisonous idea that all these companies are out to get the consumer. Think about it. How many companies have you worked for in the past? How many of them were focused on scamming people or just taking as much money as they can before they get caught? None, right? That's because it's not sustainable." ...

Not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic or sincere with the above.  I'm hoping for sarcastic, but afraid that it may be sincere.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    CrazKanuk said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Does it? It seems to me like a scramble. This seems rushed and unplanned. Again, this is another probably with what is being propagated down. It's a poisonous idea that all these companies are out to get the consumer. Think about it. How many companies have you worked for in the past? How many of them were focused on scamming people or just taking as much money as they can before they get caught? None, right? That's because it's not sustainable. It sounds like they're trying to figure out a way to be sustainable at this point, or die trying. My guess is death. 
    I take it you have never worked at a automotive dealership..I have for 5 years...it's all about the scam this was a genuine Ford dealership. I also worked for a county as well, all they wanted to do was spend as much tax payers money as they could so they could justify a bigger budget next year. Business is all about the scam.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    DMKano said:

No, in order to PROVE it was a lie you need to prove intent. But just because you can't prove it doesn't mean they didn't do it. A lack of evidence doesn't mean they didn't lie. But you do have to be careful accusing someone of a lie without evidence.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited August 2016
    DMKano said:

CM's are the game's spokespersons. They are the game developer's voice and the venue by which game developers communicate with their player base.  They speak and convey messages directly from the game's developers to the player base.  As such, CM's are Daum/PA/Kakao and Daum/PA/Kakao are the CM's. There is no difference between these entities.  

So while there may be a valid argument to be made that MMO's are an ever evolving business, and as such, subject to change from month to month, trying to make a differentiation between game developer and community manager (CM) is just an excuse, and a massively failed one at that.  They are all one and the same.  
    er, that doesn't mitigate what he said.

"yes" they are the game's spokespersons but that doesn't mean business plans (edit) "don't" change.

The "higher ups" will change their plans according to the business's needs. I've worked at companies where management made plans only to decide that their plans had to be changed.

Management isn't going to say "wow, we really need to change our plans but the CM already told players that we were going to do "x" therefore I guess we can't.

Is it a shame that they aren't releasing them all at once? Absolutely. But it is what it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    CrazKanuk said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are making more now. Initial boxed sales probably tapered off and they started losing income from that. This probably ramped it up a bit
    Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:

er, that doesn't mitigate what he said.

"yes" they are the game's spokespersons but that doesn't mean business plans change.

The "higher ups" will change their plans according to the business's needs. I've worked at companies where management made plans only to decide that their plans had to be changed.

Management isn't going to say "wow, we really need to change our plans but the CM already told players that we were going to do "x" therefore I guess we can't.

Is it a shame that they aren't releasing them all at once? Absolutely. But it is what it is.

I don't think the word "mitigate" means what you think it means.  There was no intent in my post to mitigate anything said in his post.  That said, I don't know why you quoted my post since the content of your post has nothing to do with the point made in the post.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Gamers can be reasonable? Like any project or plan, real life changes them. Often without you wanting it to.
  • KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited August 2016
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Hi,

Your question is a perfectly valid one but there is a simple business explanation. Money is a finite but renewable resource for customers. To explain that here is a fictional example: Johnny B. Whale might have 3 or 4 characters who he would like to spend money on but his income does not allow him to do so all at once.

If everything comes out at the same time he will pick and choose what to concentrate on first and would, most likely, not purchase them all in the long run. By allowing more controlled spending with a reasonable amount of time between each investment they increase the chance of people spending impulsively.

The whole micro transaction economy is based on this. People are more likely to spend 5$ 10 times than to spend 40$ once to obtain the same result in the end. There are tons of great (and very very boring) studies on this. If you really are curious I could point you to a few.

Hope that helps clarify it slightly.

Cheers,
  • MaxisDBMaxisDB Member UncommonPosts: 78
    edited August 2016
    DMKano said:

That's just like saying when speaking to a customer service rep, who is supposed to be the voice of the company, that they know everything that's going on within that company. I can assure you they don't. They know what the higher ups tell them. Most, I won't say all, CM's are not part of the development team. They are hired to speak to the community and manage forums/social media.

Now I agree that they should put out truthful information, but they may not always have the most recent information. Or as @DMKano said, things change from the original information.  Now if the CM posts on the same day the annoucnemnt is made and they say contridicting information, well that's an issue. If it's something a CM said months/years ago, and it's changed now.. well that's just business. 
    CrazKanuk said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

... "It's a poisonous idea that all these companies are out to get the consumer. Think about it. How many companies have you worked for in the past? How many of them were focused on scamming people or just taking as much money as they can before they get caught? None, right? That's because it's not sustainable." ...

Not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic or sincere with the above.  I'm hoping for sarcastic, but afraid that it may be sincere.

Not sarcastic at all. You're acting as though you don't get royally fucked every single day from when you buy your 2000% mark-up coffee in the morning to when you eat your 1000% mark-up popcorn at the movies. Honestly? Please, tell me about how Daum is fucking you, I'm a captive audience! Again, compare the VALUE you have received with BDO to the investment and then tell me your hard-luck story. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited August 2016
    MaxisDB said:
    DMKano said:

That's just like saying when speaking to a customer service rep, who is supposed to be the voice of the company, that they know everything that's going on within that company. I can assure you they don't. They know what the higher ups tell them. Most, I won't say all, CM's are not part of the development team. They are hired to speak to the community and manage forums/social media.

Now I agree that they should put out truthful information, but they may not always have the most recent information. Or as @DMKano said, things change from the original information.  Now if the CM posts on the same day the annoucnemnt is made and they say contridicting information, well that's an issue. If it's something a CM said months/years ago, and it's changed now.. well that's just business. 

The entirety of your post is rendered incorrect based on the inaccuracy of your premise that customer service reps shouldn't know everything that is going on within that company. Customer service reps are hired by a company to do exactly that.  They are hired, and trained, by a company to be well versed on "everything that is going on within that company" so that they are able to provide truthful and accurate information when consumers inquire regarding any questions or concerns they may have about the company and it's product. That IS their job.  

If a customer service rep does not have a truthful and accurate response to a question posed by a customer/consumer then they should either utilize the various resources provided by the company to get them the accurate information, redirect their question to a supervisor who may be better able to address the question or concern, or advise the customer/consumer that they do not have the answer and will proved them with a return call, or email, answering their question.  

A customer service rep who is not well versed regarding everything that is going on within the company that they represent, or who knowingly or unknowingly, provides untruthful or inaccurate information to consumers or customers calling regarding concerns or questions about a company, is an incompetent customer service rep who is not fit for the job and needs to get fired.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Nope, it's not. They never promised they would release them at once in EU/NA. They just said they were coming.
    Seems like the entire premise of the OP is whether or not they ever promised to deliver it all at once.  I couldn't find it with a quick Internet search, anyone got a link to where this was clearly stated?

If not, then there's no argument and thread can be closed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Not sarcastic at all. You're acting as though you don't get royally fucked every single day from when you buy your 2000% mark-up coffee in the morning to when you eat your 1000% mark-up popcorn at the movies. Honestly? Please, tell me about how Daum is fucking you, I'm a captive audience! Again, compare the VALUE you have received with BDO to the investment and then tell me your hard-luck story. 

The problem with your entire argument is that you are labeling the practice as a "scam" when no one as described the practice as such.  A more accurate label would be "greed," or in more PC terms "capitalism." To label it as a "scam" is to assign a nefarious purpose behind the practice.  In other words, there is no real intent to conceal said "greed." It is intended and not without purpose.  This type of profit generating practice is just business as usual in the corporate world.  It is better described as the corporation employing strategic business strategies in an effort to generate larger profits for themselves and their investors. The intent is not to scam but to maximize profits.  Some of these profit generating strategies just happen to be more "ambitious" than others.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Kyleran said:
    Nope, it's not. They never promised they would release them at once in EU/NA. They just said they were coming.
    Seems like the entire premise of the OP is whether or not they ever promised to deliver it all at once.  I couldn't find it with a quick Internet search, anyone got a link to where this was clearly stated?

If not, then there's no argument and thread can be closed.
    Found the comment by one of the Community Managers.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/87516-late-release-of-already-available-awakening-weapons-repost/&page=7#comment-1142917
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    CrazKanuk said:

The problem with your entire argument is that you are labeling the practice as a "scam" when no one as described the practice as such.  A more accurate label would be "greed," or in more PC terms "capitalism." To label it as a "scam" is to assign a nefarious purpose behind the practice.  In other words, there is no real intent to conceal said "greed." It is intended and not without purpose.  This type of profit generating practice is just business as usual in the corporate world.  It is better described as the corporation employing strategic business strategies in an effort to generate larger profits for themselves and their investors.  The intent is not to scam but to maximize profits.

So show me the balance sheets and then I'll concede that it's greed. You can call it maximizing profits and you wouldn't be wrong, but it's more like maximizing profits above zero. I mean I think that Archeage is a prime, and not far off, example. Out like gangbuster, last 4 months and die off. So what's the licensing cost paid out for this game? At which point is it no longer profitable? Lots of factors to consider before making assumptions like they've got swimming pools filled with cash. 

I've heard 1 million copies sold, which seems great, but is that NA only? Also, how many concurrent users? What sort of activity? How sustainable is it on current users? Or was it just a flop and they're trying to keep their head above water now? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------