Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I found a better version of NMS

AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
I don't have NMS but I do have Empyrion (Steam $9.99).

Seems much better than what I have seen in NMS(Streams, reviews ect) and for 20% of the cost of NMS.

Thoughts?

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2016
    There's several around like No Man's Sky.

I would recommend Empyrion, though have in mind is one early access indie game so don't expect much depth or detail to any of the gameplay, but it is a casual fun experience specially playing with friends.

Side of Empyrion, Planet Nomads is entering closed alpha in 7 days (set to release on 2017): https://www.planet-nomads.com/

I'd say Planet Nomads is a quite ambitious take on what Empyrion also does, with a bigger game scope and set to have Multiplayer.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Planet Nomads looks pretty promising.  Kinda a mix of NMS gfx and Empyrion depth.
    edited August 2016
    Mardukk said:
    Planet Nomads looks pretty promising.  Kinda a mix of NMS gfx and Empyrion depth.
    Yup, seeing just the last update from them shows one really interesting mechanic and detail on several parts of the game, with the proper PG Planets already working. Waiting for the alpha to release and try things out but they already have more advanced tech than what Empyrion can offer.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Wow that you would compare the crap that is Empyrion with the genius that is NMS boggles my mind. I bought Empyion and gave it 10 hours, there is absolutely zero comparison, like comparing a fricken apple to and orange and go well they are both kinda round. 
    psiic said:
    Wow that you would compare the crap that is Empyrion with the genius that is NMS boggles my mind. I bought Empyion and gave it 10 hours, there is absolutely zero comparison, like comparing a fricken apple to and orange and go well they are both kinda round. 
    I agree NMS does have a good tech on engine on what it does NMS is good at it. Yet what this games have that counters the game is the Sandbox Aspect = Building your Bases, Building your Vehicles and Building your Ships part by part. And the Multiplayer aspect.

So that balances it out.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Planet Nomads looks very very promising.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    MaxBacon said:
    There's several around like No Man's Sky.

I would recommend Empyrion, though have in mind is one indie game so don't expect much depth or detail to any of the gameplay, but it is a casual fun experience specially playing with friends.

Side of Empyrion, Planet Nomads is entering closed alpha in 7 days (set to release on 2017): https://www.planet-nomads.com/

I'd say Planet Nomads is a quite ambitious take on what Empyrion also does, with a bigger game scope and set to have Multiplayer.

Remember that NMS is indie as well. Probably as indie as you can get, with a team of 10? Just saying, people tend to forget that bit. So you can't really give Empyrion a "pass" on a lack of depth of gameplay because they're indie. That's not really fair. I suppose that you could say "Don't expect the depth of NMS from something that's 1/4 the price" and that might be accurate. 

BTW, thanks for the Planet Nomads link. Interesting stuff. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited August 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    Remember that NMS is indie as well. Probably as indie as you can get, with a team of 10? Just saying, people tend to forget that bit. So you can't really give Empyrion a "pass" on a lack of depth of gameplay because they're indie. That's not really fair. I suppose that you could say "Don't expect the depth of NMS from something that's 1/4 the price" and that might be accurate. 

BTW, thanks for the Planet Nomads link. Interesting stuff. 
    My bad, should have put early access before the indie. That fixes the sentence :proud:
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    psiic said:
    So, are you saying that anyone who doesn't like what you like boggles your mind? Your Brain must be really stressed.
    Thank goodness for Opinions.
    Oh...Enjoy your $60 Apple. I prefer the $10 Oranges. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I'm not really liking the whole survival genre that is happening right now.  They seem to all follow the same pattern without adding much to the overall game.  It's like we cannot write a good story so we just make a huge universe and let people make their own story.  That to me is not creative at all.  I just don't like grind/build types of games.  I think my son might like this one though.

Does it have gamepad support or can he play it without using keyboard?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    Does it have gamepad support or can he play it without using keyboard?
    I don't think it has controller support yet, the ones i've seen playing with such needed to do it themselves.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    My .02:

I don't care for the survival aspects.  Who cares about food and water and having to poo.. I don't.

What I want is a game that is a game.  Privateer I didn't have to worry about micromanaging food and water and oxygen.  That's just silly un-necessary-ness.  If I wanted to deal with that I go be in the Real World. 

I want to be able to build and dink and customize and explore.  That's it.  Leave me to my own devices.  I want creatures that can eat me and creatures that don't give a rats about me.  I want to worry about how I'm going to get up a cliff and not about the trivialities of needing to camp and make a fire and make flint arrows.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Avanah said:

Seems much better than what I have seen in NMS(Streams, reviews ect) and for 20% of the cost of NMS.

Thoughts?

NMS isnt a survival game, it is exploration game. Cant compare the two. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Empyrion is not my cup o' tea., but I'm seriously considering backing Planet Nomads for the alpha build, they look like they're making a great effort !
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    aliven said:
    Avanah said:

Thoughts?

NMS isnt a survival game, it is exploration game. Cant compare the two. 

You sure about that?  They seem to go hand in hand with NMS and a lot of other games for that matter.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Avanah said:

Thoughts?

the title of your post smacks "I know better than you" so not a great place to start. The second mistake is comparing the two games as you are, even thou, for the most part, the only thing they share is the sci-fi setting. While NMS is to be brutally honest, EXTREMELY boring at the moment, I think it has vastly more potential than Empyrion. The success of NMS at this point completely depends on what they do with it going forward.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Is it just me, or do all of these games in this genre look like they'll be extremely boring after maybe just a few days in?  In my eyes, if you remove human interaction like you have in MMORPG's, MMOFPS.... ect, then you'd better have a plot of some kind.

No human interaction, no plot, no end game state... ehhhh, I dunno.  Not ready to drop NMS money on a game that I think I'd play for a couple of hours and then run screaming back to interaction or plot.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    Is it just me, or do all of these games in this genre look like they'll be extremely boring after maybe just a few days in?  In my eyes, if you remove human interaction like you have in MMORPG's, MMOFPS.... ect, then you'd better have a plot of some kind.

No human interaction, no plot, no end game state... ehhhh, I dunno.  Not ready to drop NMS money on a game that I think I'd play for a couple of hours and then run screaming back to interaction or plot.
    absolutly just you. well there might be others but yeah that line of thinking is silly.

you find doing less and having less options and less features is somehow more entertaining?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:

absolutly just you. well there might be others but yeah that line of thinking is silly.

you find doing less and having less options and less features is somehow more entertaining?
    I'm not trying to be rude, I reread this post three times and I cannot understand what point you're trying to make.

You start off by making an empirical claim towards a rhetorical question, then tell me that my opinion is silly.  Well... that's just like your opinion man.  Then I think you move on to telling me that every other game that I enjoy has less options and features in it than NMS, which is so ludicrous of a claim that I truly think I'm misreading your post.
    edited August 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:

I'm not trying to be rude, I reread this post three times and I cannot understand what point you're trying to make.

You start off by making an empirical claim towards a rhetorical question, then tell me that my opinion is silly.  Well... that's just like your opinion man.  Then I think you move on to telling me that every other game that I enjoy has less options and features in it than NMS, which is so ludicrous of a claim that I truly think I'm misreading your post.
    Game A you can do X
    Game B you can do X,Y, Z

you find Game B boring but game A not. I dont understand why

sorry i missed the part of social interaction in game which is a feature I could not care less about unless its a requirement then I want it removed from my game

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    H0urg1ass said:

Why do you assume that all games should appeal to you ?

There's nothing wrong with disliking certain types of games or genres, it's perfectly natural.

I don't like certain types of games, or certain types of music or even certain types of foods. Taste is a purely subjective thing.
    Empyrion is not my cup o' tea., but I'm seriously considering backing Planet Nomads for the alpha build, they look like they're making a great effort !
    Yup i wasn't expecting them to have things already coming together by now, what is really cool to see. Sad that game is not getting much support or exposure, but comparing what they already shown to the other games around, they totally deserve it.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Totally dug that Planet Nomads game. Stronger focus on prolonged survival and crafting and building, so ultimately quite different than NMS, but a lot of potential there.

H0urg1ass said:

There's nothing wrong with disliking certain types of games or genres, it's perfectly natural.

I don't like certain types of games, or certain types of music or even certain types of foods. Taste is a purely subjective thing.
    Well crap, we better shut down these forums then. Someone message Bill and tell him to take them down. We're surrendering our position on the internet!  No wait, of course it's subjective.  Every opinion piece, every review, nearly every thread that doesn't start with "Help me fix my...." is purely subjective here.

I'm simply trying to start a conversation that revolves around whether this genre of game looks like it will be boring fast.  I mean, do you see yourself playing NMS a month from now?  Six months from now?  Is there that much to do?  Personally, by looking at the trailers and a limited amount of gameplay, there really isn't... and I'm fine with a subjective response.
    edited August 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    H0urg1ass said:

Well crap, we better shut down these forums then. Someone message Bill and tell him to take them down. We're surrendering our position on the internet!  No wait, of course it's subjective.  Every opinion piece, every review, nearly every thread that doesn't start with "Help me fix my...." is purely subjective here.

I'm simply trying to start a conversation that revolves around whether this genre of game looks like it will be boring fast.  I mean, do you see yourself playing NMS a month from now?  Six months from now?  Is there that much to do?  Personally, by looking at the trailers and a limited amount of gameplay, there really isn't... and I'm fine with a subjective response.
    to be clear you point is in essence all games without social interaction are boring.

which is fine but for me social interaction as a game feature is something I do not like and avoid when I can