Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - GamesCom 2016 Coverage

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    rodarin said:
    Yea numbers are rising because this guy is funny. But seriously this stream should be at 15-20K. Especially if you believe even a portion of the hype.

There are guys who stream garbage games like Rust, Miscreated, Day z and the like who get 4K viewers for anything they stream. When they stream decent games that have even a little hype they get into the 5 figures easily.
    I think people within those communities are not as easily fooled by marketing stradegies like NMS

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited August 2016
    Considering thats only the industry insider day there is a pretty long line waiting for goodies at the CIG booth ;-)  --> see Twitch

Have fun

PS:
    Meanwhile somewhere else the expected meltdown has started ;-) 
    VERY entertaining.
    How DARE someone play Alpha 2.4.1 on the public live server 2 hours without crashing , handing over to another streamer after he finished ;-) !

ironically I am not interested to hear what Frontier is doing this year at Gamescom for both Elite and Planet Coaster.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    SEANMCAD said:
    rodarin said:
    Yea numbers are rising because this guy is funny. But seriously this stream should be at 15-20K. Especially if you believe even a portion of the hype.

There are guys who stream garbage games like Rust, Miscreated, Day z and the like who get 4K viewers for anything they stream. When they stream decent games that have even a little hype they get into the 5 figures easily.
    I think people within those communities are not as easily fooled by marketing stradegies like NMS
    The 'main" NMS streamer had about 15K viewers this morning. He bumps around 9-15K since he started playing it.

So it goes both ways, streamers and games. But in most cases even an awesome streamer cant get top end numbers on games that suck. Some guys might get 7500 or so on a semi mainstream game, then drop down to to 2K for a game that isnt that great, no matter the 'entertainment' value a decent RP/voice actor could possibly bring to it. So while a very good streamer can most definitely uptick the exposure to some small indy games that have negative reviews, they would be much better served (if they were interested in sheer numbers) streaming games that were 'better'. And of course they have an 'audience' that likes certain games but the cross over is pretty extreme as long as the games are good and the streamer can be entertaining.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Since when should the stream be 15-20K? I mean they are showing the LIVE gameplay of the game you can already play, and for free because the free flight is also active, not much reason to tune in unless you like this kind of fluff.

So hype or not what people are waiting for is the actual main event on the 19th.
    rodarin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    rodarin said:

The 'main" NMS streamer had about 15K viewers this morning. He bumps around 9-15K since he started playing it.

So it goes both ways, streamers and games. But in most cases even an awesome streamer cant get top end numbers on games that suck. Some guys might get 7500 or so on a semi mainstream game, then drop down to to 2K for a game that isnt that great, no matter the 'entertainment' value a decent RP/voice actor could possibly bring to it. So while a very good streamer can most definitely uptick the exposure to some small indy games that have negative reviews, they would be much better served (if they were interested in sheer numbers) streaming games that were 'better'. And of course they have an 'audience' that likes certain games but the cross over is pretty extreme as long as the games are good and the streamer can be entertaining.
    to be clear you are not talking total views, you are talking concurrent views in all three examples

SEANMCAD said:

to be clear you are not talking total views, you are talking concurrent views in all three examples
    yes LIVE viewers.

Go to twitch and look at streamers right now. Its sort of the tweener time Obviously morning in west US and workday time in east and Europe is just starting to hit dinner time, so really about 2-4 hrs before prime euro time and 12 until US primetime.

But you can find games right now with 20+K viewers.
    rodarin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yes LIVE viewers.

Go to twitch and look at streamers right now. Its sort of the tweener time Obviously morning in west US and workday time in east and Europe is just starting to hit dinner time, so really about 2-4 hrs before prime euro time and 12 until US primetime.

But you can find games right now with 20+K viewers.
    yeah just making sure.

I dont know but my opinion is that gamers trust gamers more than some guy with a 'developer' title who is really hired by marketing to just hype the hype metter :)

MaxBacon said:
    Since when should the stream be 15-20K? I mean they are showing the LIVE gameplay of the game you can already play, and for free because the free flight is also active, not much reason to tune in unless you like this kind of fluff.

So hype or not what people are waiting for is the actual main event on the 19th.
    Oh I thought you blocked me but maybe the same way Sandi Gardiner blocked Derek Smart....

But YES this is STAR CITIZEN, the game that according to you and the other supporters is THE quintessential space game every to be developed, one that over a million people have created an account for and one that nearly a million people have already spent money on In a convention that highlights video games.

No Man Sky had 30 or 40 K viewers during their conventions. Those numbers will now be skewed since they dont stop counting and just tabulate aggregate viewership. And while NMS was over hyped and out of control it still should surpass Star Citizen should it? 

I go by what I see, and what is live. I saw maybe 15 to 20 people stream sniping them. If there were thousands or even hundreds of people playing the alpha/tech demo I would expect just about all of them to be in there trying to be camera gluttons. Or at least as many as could fit into that particular space. So either the cap is 20 or there arent that many people playing or logged in, even during its showcase stream. And those people are the obvious target audience since they are actual people allowed into the tech demo/alpha.

I have said it in the past and it continues to hold true, for the most hyped and overblown game every to exist and for a game that has allegedly raised all the money it has the population and interest in this game (on all levels) is nearly non existent.

Miscreated is a joke of a game that has been out just about as long at SC has. Its a broken mess that just recently made some forward advancement (just like SC) but Moon and a few of the Twitch RP guys like Timmac, Sylvan, Kiwo, Mitch, Walrus can get 10-14 K people (combined between their accounts) watching them RP that game on any random night they log into it. Moon can get 4K (although the numbers have dropped a lot the past few streams because people see it still the same broken mess) by himself.

So you have to take it all into context. The context I take from this is while it isnt prime time it is a stream thats been going for 5+ hrs and has just gotten to above 5K viewers, I suspect they MIGHT hit 6K at prime time, if theyre streaming something semi interesting. But its still an SC stream, you can debate whether its entertaining or not or that if they were doing announcements it would have more viewers, but that will definitely be the one to watch and take numbers on.
    rodarin said:
    MaxBacon said:

Oh I thought you blocked me but maybe the same way Sandi Gardiner blocked Derek Smart....

But YES this is STAR CITIZEN, the game that according to you and the other supporters is THE quintessential space game every to be developed, one that over a million people have created an account for and one that nearly a million people have already spent money on In a convention that highlights video games.

No Man Sky had 30 or 40 K viewers during their conventions. Those numbers will now be skewed since they dont stop counting and just tabulate aggregate viewership. And while NMS was over hyped and out of control it still should surpass Star Citizen should it? 

I go by what I see, and what is live. I saw maybe 15 to 20 people stream sniping them. If there were thousands or even hundreds of people playing the alpha/tech demo I would expect just about all of them to be in there trying to be camera gluttons. Or at least as many as could fit into that particular space. So either the cap is 20 or there arent that many people playing or logged in, even during its showcase stream. And those people are the obvious target audience since they are actual people allowed into the tech demo/alpha.

I have said it in the past and it continues to hold true, for the most hyped and overblown game every to exist and for a game that has allegedly raised all the money it has the population and interest in this game (on all levels) is nearly non existent.

Miscreated is a joke of a game that has been out just about as long at SC has. Its a broken mess that just recently made some forward advancement (just like SC) but Moon and a few of the Twitch RP guys like Timmac, Sylvan, Kiwo, Mitch, Walrus can get 10-14 K people (combined between their accounts) watching them RP that game on any random night they log into it. Moon can get 4K (although the numbers have dropped a lot the past few streams because people see it still the same broken mess) by himself.

So you have to take it all into context. The context I take from this is while it isnt prime time it is a stream thats been going for 5+ hrs and has just gotten to above 5K viewers, I suspect they MIGHT hit 6K at prime time, if theyre streaming something semi interesting. But its still an SC stream, you can debate whether its entertaining or not or that if they were doing announcements it would have more viewers, but that will definitely be the one to watch and take numbers on.
    NMS is a huge pile of garbage and is literally the worst space game option out today. The 'game' isnt a game its a marketing project designed to rape people from as much money as possible before they get bored with the game. SC is also a marketing project, just not as good at marketing as NMS is,

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    SEANMCAD said:

NMS is a huge pile of garbage and is literally the worst space game option out today. The 'game' isnt a game its a marketing project designed to rape people from as much money as possible before they get bored with the game. SC is also a marketing project, just not as good at marketing as NMS is,
    Clearly, you have not heard Sandi Gardiner talk about Sandi Gardiner. Repent!
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Oh i can see quotes from posts that's why. Yet you can't compare NMS attention to SC here, NMS is a game that was a closed development and from sudden it released, with that many people go to youtube, twitch and so on to check out people playing the actual game to see how it is. On SC's case the alpha is already released, it's currently on a free trial for who wants to play (what defeats the purpose of watching other people playing it if you can play it yourself) and the livestreams are of that same alpha. When a major release happens and drives people to want to check out what's up with the game, the attention the game gets on the area will remain about the same.
    SEANMCAD said:

Hey you think I am critical of Star Citizen? I was worse with NMS, but that was a few years ago now. It became more and more apparant what that was, and I didnt have to say it sean did it all himself, everything that came out of his mouth was a lie or trying to reinvent stuff they said back a few years ago.

The major difference is that while they sold a lot of copies and did make some money it wasnt nearly the money SC has claimed to have made. Thats the major crux of my issues. it isnt that the game(scratch that, project) is always in a constant state of change but WHY is it like that and why is it that after making about 5 times what they though would make the best game ever they still claim to need more.

Also as an aside theyre doing the last raffle it will be extremely interesting to see what happens to the viewership numbers once that one goes off. And wat they are if they take a break and come back later in the evening. I somehow suspect once they give away the last 'free' item they wont stream anymore. Because it will become too obvious why people were watching in the first place.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    rodarin said:
    I somehow suspect once they give away the last 'free' item they wont stream anymore
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15451-Gamescom-2016-Details

Stream Time 10 a.m. to  4 p.m. UTC

Have fun

edited August 2016
    rodarin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Hey you think I am critical of Star Citizen? I was worse with NMS, but that was a few years ago now. It became more and more apparant what that was, and I didnt have to say it sean did it all himself, everything that came out of his mouth was a lie or trying to reinvent stuff they said back a few years ago.

The major difference is that while they sold a lot of copies and did make some money it wasnt nearly the money SC has claimed to have made. Thats the major crux of my issues. it isnt that the game(scratch that, project) is always in a constant state of change but WHY is it like that and why is it that after making about 5 times what they though would make the best game ever they still claim to need more.

Also as an aside theyre doing the last raffle it will be extremely interesting to see what happens to the viewership numbers once that one goes off. And wat they are if they take a break and come back later in the evening. I somehow suspect once they give away the last 'free' item they wont stream anymore. Because it will become too obvious why people were watching in the first place.
    let me put it this way just to be clear

SC is a marketing project
    NMS is a better marketing project

NOT I stress NOT the game, the marketing project, the game in both of them are a side point.

so the ONLY reason one is getting more views then the other is because one has better marketing then the other

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    rodarin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Lol, what isn't cringe worthy? I remember last week the speculation was that they weren't going to show up at gamescom at all! Now we're here, talking about how a streamer (streaming the game) wasn't given the credits to purchase any upgrades for the live stream. As far as goal post moving goes, I am pretty sure you could hit to goal without legs, your eyes closed, while being spun around. Mission accomplished! 
    Its watching the streamer TRY his best to make what amounts to a guided tour of this city at least semi entertaining. And watching him do 'normal' streamer things like run over a few stream snipers, feign horror at 'murdering people', throwing his headset off and walking off camera. All the while the SC mouthpiece looks like he wants to shoot someone and actually looks pissed off (for real).

Streamers stream he is doing his best to make it more than it is. The other guy is not letting him.

As an aside I now see about 10 stream snipers in the area. So that is 'good' news, bad news is the game is now lagging like crazy. Also a few others trying to block them. So theyre up to almost 15 players sniping the stream in a game that has over a trillion citizens and bacvkers that has raised 50 billion dollars in funding.

980 ti, 6th gen i7 and 32 gigs of ram, and an SSD are specs he just mentioned it

Net result? Don't do live broadcasting. Like, fuck, I really don't know what was learned that couldn't have been garnered from decades of News broadcasts. "Hey Bob! Take that Burger King sign over into that group of PETA protestors, see what happens." Lol. I have to think we're getting close to doing a RL Hunger Games at this point. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

SEANMCAD said:

NOT I stress NOT the game, the marketing project, the game in both of them are a side point.

so the ONLY reason one is getting more views then the other is because one has better marketing then the other
    Your logic is flawed. SC HAS TO BE the better marketing project since they havent released shit yet and have made more money than NMS has. Unless you believe that NMS has already sold 2 million copies already then theyre right on par with each other, and that still gives SC another 10 years of development and ship sales t make another few hundred million.
    CrazKanuk said:

Net result? Don't do live broadcasting. Like, fuck, I really don't know what was learned that couldn't have been garnered from decades of News broadcasts. "Hey Bob! Take that Burger King sign over into that group of PETA protestors, see what happens." Lol. I have to think we're getting close to doing a RL Hunger Games at this point. 
    Well they rely on the fact that their backers arent too bright to begin with, and wont make a correlation between (IMO) lack of viewers(and even those numbers while disappointing are buoyed by hourly giveaways) and lack of players going into the game where the live stream is streaming from and propping their characters in from of the guy who is streaming so they can get their avatar on TV. Even after they highlighted that hamster guy (which gave people a greenlight to be there to get some exposure) the numbers didnt go up, a few more people did show up but not what one would expect.

Of course the supporters will claim its meaningless, but if the opposite were true and so many stream snipers showed up it crashed the zone/instance then they would be chirping (because it would be a reason for the crash of the game as well).

So people pick and choose how they want to spin things. But there really is no spin here. Taking every claim that has been made about this game and all the numbers CiG throw out themselves the corresponding number in a LIVE setting just arent impressive at all. On any level. Not when you compare them to other games, and other situations.
    rodarin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Your logic is flawed. SC HAS TO BE the better marketing project since they havent released shit yet and have made more money than NMS has. Unless you believe that NMS has already sold 2 million copies already then theyre right on par with each other, and that still gives SC another 10 years of development and ship sales t make another few hundred million.
    the reason one of those two games have more viewership is because the marketing is better for that game.

peroid.

I do not have to say 'marketing around the event of showing the game during that stream' because that is to be understood.

edited August 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

the reason one of those two games have more viewership is because the marketing is better for that game.

peroid.

I do not have to say 'marketing around the event of showing the game during that stream' because that is to be understood.
    marketing doesnt outweigh a bad game or a boring stream. once the streamers get to a deciding point in the game viewership for NMS will plummet.

Star Citizen had tens of thousands of viewers itself when they first did something people thought would be relevant with their test bed server, but it didnt take long for those numbers to plummet to where they are now (less than 500 viewers at any given time with maybe 8-10 streamers)

But a special live stream at a convention should rally the citizens and get them interested. But it didnt.

NMS is getting views for one reason its new. Yes it had hype but the hype died a long time ago. But its still new and there is still a goal in that game. To get to the center of a galaxy and then eventually to the center of the universe (which with all that has come out might not even be possible yet) so until someone does it and makes a video then there will be SOME sort of interest. So it has that hook until it happens and once it does there wont be 500 people playing it let alone watching someone play it.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I enjoy and have a lot of fun at those free fly events.  They should do some of the big ships also.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

rodarin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

peroid.

marketing doesnt outweigh a bad game or a boring stream. ....
    yes it does absolutely fucking does

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    rodarin said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Well they rely on the fact that their backers arent too bright to begin with, and wont make a correlation between (IMO) lack of viewers(and even those numbers while disappointing are buoyed by hourly giveaways) and lack of players going into the game where the live stream is streaming from and propping their characters in from of the guy who is streaming so they can get their avatar on TV. Even after they highlighted that hamster guy (which gave people a greenlight to be there to get some exposure) the numbers didnt go up, a few more people did show up but not what one would expect.

Of course the supporters will claim its meaningless, but if the opposite were true and so many stream snipers showed up it crashed the zone/instance then they would be chirping (because it would be a reason for the crash of the game as well).

So people pick and choose how they want to spin things. But there really is no spin here. Taking every claim that has been made about this game and all the numbers CiG throw out themselves the corresponding number in a LIVE setting just arent impressive at all. On any level. Not when you compare them to other games, and other situations.

Of course detractors will claim it's meaningful. Regardless, it's still speculative. I mean you're trying to draw some conclusion on the overall popularity of a game based on Twitch. I'm not Twitch expert, but I can't really find any definitive stats. WRT No Man's Sky, you've got a game which has been similarly infamous since it was released, so all it's really proving is people will look at a car crash regardless how trivial it is (proven on every highway every day of the week). 

You are right, people can spin things however they want, but I'd find it difficult to trust someone who says things like "....there really is no spin here." That's just typical magician trickery. There has been plenty of talk surrounding how bad this is, but we've seen no formal investigation. I've gone as far as to follow up with the DCBA with a case number that was quoted in a whole Kotaku article about some streetroller character. All they could do is confirm there have been complaints, but no formal investigations have been required. They cannot give any details. If there was a formal investigation it could be requested as it would be part of public record. Actually, Streetroller's case number isn't even valid anymore, meaning there's nothing to report. They originally said that they couldn't find that case number. Oh! And there's no spin on that, it's straight from the LA County DCBA. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

SEANMCAD said:
    rodarin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

peroid.

marketing doesnt outweigh a bad game or a boring stream. ....
    yes it does absolutely fucking does
    SHORT term MAYBE but not long term. Look at games like Archeage, Black Desert, Star citizen. All came out like gang busters all fizzeled like a fart in a tornado after a couple weeks. No Mans Sky will be no different. Even the big name streamers I mentioned they start streaming a bad game (for whatever reason, I have my thoughts) and despite that game getting horrible reviews the first few streams do get a lot of people watching them. But once they realize its the same bad game and even the 'talent' of the streamer(s) trying to make it interesting or tell a story doesnt change the fact its just a bad game. So the viewer numbers tumble until the streamer changes games again.

Ironically one of the strongest games doesnt market themselves at all...ARK.

Games are like movies. They can get millions in ticket sales the first and second night due to hype but once word of mouth spreads that its a garbage product the theaters get empty real fast.

Pretty much every 'big name' video game is going ot have a lot of people checking it out, but how many end up buying it (that didnt buy into the hype) is a question mark as is the number of people even willing to watch it get streamed.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    rodarin said:
    Erillion said:

Interesting info from the stream:

"[Will we see anything regarding Star Marine?] They will not be showcasing Star Marine during the five-days stream on the showfloor. It is on track for 2.6. This doesn’t rule out it appearing on the Friday night party"

Have fun

That was obviously the canned answer they give when asked a question they cant or arent allowed to answer. I am sure they had that comment approved because they new that that Star Marine Icon was going to be front and center beside an icon link that worked. So they had to explain it away to people who might not know whats going on with SM.
    Star Procrastination

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.