Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon, old-skool WoW--try it!

Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
edited August 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
AS you can guess by the title, this is about Alganon, an older indie-budgeted MMORPG whiched released December 2009. The MMORPG did not perform well after its release and to this day is on life support. Many know it by its current owner, Derek Smart and publisher 3000AD. Unfortunately, while Derek Smart has his own fanbase and is responsible for some games of his own, of which I enjoyed the space-simulation BC3000AD, his history is marred by his persistently angry, prideful and combative online persona. The truth is, Derek's connection to Alganon was only initially as investor. In 2010, he became owner and president and the leader in development planning.

The real brains and design work for Alganon started with a couple people, David Allen, principally (in late-2005), and later Hue Henry as lead designer. Alganon was first named Crusade. It's quite impressive what they had planned. Here's a link all about it:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/exclusive-interview-with-alganon-creator-david-allen

Some key points from the linked article:
* You're not forced into one roll--each class has a second specializtion and it's BIG(!)
* Spec examples: tank, heals, AoE, support--not just variations of the same thing!
* The lore behind Alganon is deity based with a lot of history
* A living breathign world centering around deities, sides and it all having a reason
* They didn't have tens of millions to work on content
* A study system (for learning even while offline) similar to Eve-Online
* At time of release, it would take 3 years of continuous studying to study all of the skills
* A family system for organizing like-midned people--does impact in-game stats/abilities
* A library system which has information on everything in the game--ie tradeskills,monsters,quests,items,classes,etc

It hit some budget problems and of course we know all about Derek Smart complaining to them and eventually replacing David Allen and firing him. Hue Henry left. Derek was unhappy with the progress and wnated an earlier release. The rest is history.

(PS: Hue Henry said the reason Alganon failed was because it copied WoW too much. They didn't anticipate this.)

I've played this recently. I went into it without the preceding knowledge. I did know Derek Smart was part of it, but I never went to the forums or concerned myself with that. I wnated to know what the game was. I leveled up a Reaver to 8, so far. I've liked it. I enver experenced WoW in its day, instead choosing Everquest. I don't like carebear games and still don't, but I always regretted not playing it. So to some amount, I'm now trying Alganon because of a perceived regret on my part that I missed that piece of history.

But it's hard at first. The website has l lack of updates and I think the last patch to the client was June 2015. Soon as you run the client you can see it's tacky. This tackyness will remain. And don't make hte mistake of clicking maximize. It'll crash the client. Use your Steam account to login. Once you enter the game, press escape and go the graphic options. Don't click on fullscreen, since most people crash. Click on "windowed fullscreen" instead. That's the trick. Once you've setup your keys you're just about ready to go. One of the options which really did it for me was to shut off the UI sounds in the sound options. There's an irriating quest completion sound and a "woo" sound. All gone.

I wanted to post to encourage others to try this MMO. It really is not that bad, if you can get past everything else.

So the negatives, read these with a grain of salt since trying it is the best route:
* population is almost dead
* buggy client which crashes when you try to maximize or go fullscreen
* buggyiness in-game like with quest windows timing out or being non-functional
* no patches since 2015 and increasingly broken abandoned website
* toxic forums--don't use them because you know who will show up and ban you right?
* it's a shameless and poor copy/paste of WoW--everytihng from the icons to the mechanics
* almost no 3rd party help information--alleviated somewhat by the in-game library, but still a big problem for info hunters

Now, let me also say the world environment is fantastic. Big and amazing, even breathtaking. So much work was put into the models for the cities and the places surrounding them and even the wild areas. Moreso, as a lover of old school MMO's, I actually am happy there's no dungeon finder, no instant grouping across servers, no main quest line to force everyone down the same road, some actual traveling and so on. Its skill system is based on usage, not just your level. And quests of all levels are scattered everywhere. You might find a level 50 quest in a low level place. I love that. It's like finding a valuable trinket in the attic. There're some other things I could say too. I know some of you, probably many of you, will disagree with me and you have a right to. My likes are very old fashioned and unordinary. Peace.

Lastly, F2P has some restrictions and a level cap of 30. The Tribute Market in-game allows you to purchase restriction removals, including a bundle which includes them all at a discount. You can buy Tribute points using the Steam Wallet. Use Paypal to move funds to the Steam Wallet.

Good luck. My name is Rudis, a Reaver. I play Kujix. I don't play every day, but you might see me.

Some links:

Here's a great Lets Play on youtube, it's fabulous and fair (there're 8 parts--he levels up to 40+):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04uzk-0gMo

The main website:
http://www.myalganon.com/

The steam website--to download and to also create a steam account if you don't have one:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/350660
Post edited by Hawkaya399 on

Comments

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2016
    EDIT: I didn't know how to modify the OP when I posted this.

Also a link to David Allen:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Allen_%28game_designer%29

And Quest Online LLC:
    http://www.qol.com/about/
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    * Places popcorn in microwave* this is going to get ugly fast. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    If people need a wow-clone that bad, just go play rift
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2016
    Feel bad for David Allen , i was testing Alganon ealry on when DS and co. Forced him out of hiw own game , All the good stuff that is in Alganon is because of David Allen , All the bad and mess that followed is DS and company .. There really was/is a good game world and game in there, But becuase they way develpoment eneded up with DS and co. hostile take over , David Allens trued vision and game were never completed ..

Was also a fan of Horizons , brilliant game at its time and still fun ..

DA is a bright guy , he should get involved in development seriosly again

I really like DA work am a big fan of Demise and if anyone here is a Dungeoncrawl fan and dont mind some old graphics , Demise is still one of the best Dungeon crawls made ... I recommend giving it a try , I always hoped it would have dome more with that IP , but it seemed after Alganon debacle the wind came out of his sails ...
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Scorchien.

David Allen's About page (and personal website):
    http://www.requnix.com/about

Derek Smart didn't come into the picture until approx Nov 2009, here:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/02/derek-smart-talks-line-of-defense-alganon/

I didn't come here to talk about Derek. I know it's true what you say about him, but I think there's still a lot to enjoy in Alganon. I know I've only played until level 8, but the impression I get is the steam reviews don't do it justice. It's playable. For some it might be just what they want. Old-skool Wow, admittedly on the cheap side. And for that and because of David Allen and Hue Henry and others who poured their heart ans soul into Alganon, I absolutely had to come here and give it some credit.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I almost expect to see someone holding up a lit lighter in tribute.

I actually gave this a try once, all I can say is there are lots better WOW clones out there, you are better off playing one of them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    edited August 2016
    Albatroes said:
    I literally shit myself laughing at this comment, WOW is about 1% close to RIFT and the 1% is the fantasy in both games, these comments are so F'n ridiculous I am sick of it...

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Dude Rift was the first big mainstream wow clone. We have called it that since long before it even launched, and its still true today. Other than the multi-classing that works slightly different than WoW's talent trees and some rather cheesy world events, they are the same game.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    This game still having servers and devs is perplexing.  I feel bad for the investors that trusted Derek Smart to actual improve things.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Comments like this is why I won't touch Alganon or anything else remotely associated with Derek Smart with a ten foot pole.

Wonder what game he was talking about in this exchange?
    dsmart said:
    Red_Thomas said:
    dsmart said:
    No, I can't agree with a lot of that.  For one, you can't just strip people of shares in the company they created.  It's not IPO, so there's no legal method that I know of for doing something like that.  I also would never be okay with taking portions of a company away from someone who built it.  Agree with him or not, Chris made SC what it is.  If it's successful, with or without him, he needs to benefit as the progenitor of the project.

Actually you're wrong. It can be done. It's legal. And I've done it.

What you do is  you offer them a deal and either buy their shares for a small amount based on what the company is valued at the time, or the give it up in exchange for non-prosecution of any uncovered wrong-doing.

And this has nothing to do with people who created a company keeping their shares. It's about the survival of the company and a plan toward a clean slate.

It happens ALL the time. Founders leave without any part of the company. And in most cases, if they refuse to take such deals, that's when very bad things happen.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/440506/star-citizen-death-of-a-salesman-mmorpg/p6

I wonder how many innocent Investors got fucked over in that deal?

Extortion anyone?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    David Allen.  That brings back some old memories when I still had hope for the genre.   Dreaming on a message board way back when.  Can't believe that was so long ago.
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    laserit said:
    Comments like this is why I won't touch Alganon or anything else remotely associated with Derek Smart with a ten foot pole.

dsmart said:
    Red_Thomas said:
    dsmart said:
    No, I can't agree with a lot of that.  For one, you can't just strip people of shares in the company they created.  It's not IPO, so there's no legal method that I know of for doing something like that.  I also would never be okay with taking portions of a company away from someone who built it.  Agree with him or not, Chris made SC what it is.  If it's successful, with or without him, he needs to benefit as the progenitor of the project.

What you do is  you offer them a deal and either buy their shares for a small amount based on what the company is valued at the time, or the give it up in exchange for non-prosecution of any uncovered wrong-doing.

And this has nothing to do with people who created a company keeping their shares. It's about the survival of the company and a plan toward a clean slate.

It happens ALL the time. Founders leave without any part of the company. And in most cases, if they refuse to take such deals, that's when very bad things happen.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/440506/star-citizen-death-of-a-salesman-mmorpg/p6

Extortion anyone?
    Probably zero. This person just likes talking tough on the Internet. Sounds like 13 year old that watched youtube video about Wall Street. 
    Ramajama said:
    laserit said:

dsmart said:
    Red_Thomas said:
    dsmart said:

Extortion anyone?
    Probably zero. This person just likes talking tough on the Internet. Sounds like 13 year old that watched youtube video about Wall Street. 
    Maybe

But... well... there's Alganon

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    laserit said:
    Ramajama said:
    laserit said:

dsmart said:
    Red_Thomas said:
    dsmart said:

Extortion anyone?
    Maybe

Well, the founders could have left because the game was crap and they have brain and moved on. DSmart stayed. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I literally shit myself laughing at this comment...
    Pics?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I won't touch anything that Derek Smart has been associated with. He has been on this sight talking down to people and projecting his condescending attitude too many times for me to count. 
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Well, looks like interesting game to try. f2P restrictions are mild, classes seem playable, lore - interesting (gods and so on). Has anyone else tried Alganon, except OP?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Almost every single game out there is a WOW clone,or better yet ,since EQ2 was FIRST in NA,they are all EQ2 clones,just that Blizzard has never been creative,just a copycat business.

I think people need a lot more to go on than just play it because it is a Wow clone.

For me,it is all about an entire game's cohesion and depth of systems and depth of AI,combat etc etc.

I grew in love with FFXI back in 2003 because the entire game design was fluent within in itself,it all tied together amazingly and was an OPEN ended game with added sub class.

What bothers me is that FFXi was jus tthe beginning of new ideas and depth,there is Soooooooooooo much more room to improve the genre but instead every single developer aims for lazy cheap gimmicks,like "we have RAIDS" "we have easy leveling" "we have mounts" "you can fly".Screw gimmicks,i want a COMPLETE game that shows the dev has a clue about building a world and creating npc's.

To me it is just incredible that developers hire system guys and producers that continue to show ZERO creativity or abilities,they al ljust copy the basics of rpg design,even if most of it makes no sense.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Albatroes said:
    I literally shit myself laughing at this comment, WOW is about 1% close to RIFT and the 1% is the fantasy in both games, these comments are so F'n ridiculous I am sick of it...
    You must be trolling or have never played Rift...It literally copied and pasted several things from WoW, especially a couple of the trade skills...It was such a blatant ripoff its not even funny.
    Ramajama said:
    laserit said:
    Ramajama said:
    laserit said:

dsmart said:
    Red_Thomas said:
    dsmart said:

Extortion anyone?
    Maybe

Well, the founders could have left because the game was crap and they have brain and moved on. DSmart stayed. 
    Remembering the history that used to be posted on this site when Alganon had its own forum.  Derek Smart arrived and said he was hired on to save the Alganon. There was actually a lot of good will towards Derek at that time. Then one day all of a sudden out of the blue, he had ownership. Nobody including me thought much of it.

IMHO his comments above isn't a case of him talking tough like a 13 year old on the internet. It's more a case of trying to brag and not being able to keep ones mouth shut.

What Derek describes is very very plausible 

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    edited August 2016
    I will stick to ESO ;-D I will also contniue to play Grim Dawn and POE for my arpg needs.  @the OP.. There is so much better that the crap you are trying to get people to try.  No offense to you.  But you should let the past games that failed, fail. 

There is much better out!  Find them!
  • CnameCname Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Well, looks like interesting game to try. f2P restrictions are mild, classes seem playable, lore - interesting (gods and so on). Has anyone else tried Alganon, except OP?
    When I tried it a few years back, I saw very few players online, even hubs like capital cities are deserted. Unless you bring your own group of friends to join the game with you, there's just not enough people to do any meaningful activities or group quests. 

"A game is fun if it is learnable but not trivial" -- Togelius & Schmidhuber