Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to ban this game from the face of the earth.

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    First off... Was not a lot of the real horror stories connected to the game non-cited. Just a story that got picked up by so many places they became "truth". 

Beyond that i seem to remember that Niantics previous game had people do even more heinous stuff... But since it was much smaller media did not find it as interesting due to not being click worthy. 

This have been a good conversation

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Good
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    My problem with this game is that it has a much better chance of putting children in the wrong place at the wrong time.  You can't fix stupid, but you can reduce the chances of the ignorant getting harmed and as a father of three children, they are ignorant about all the ways of the world while you're training them to be adults.  This app places different kinds of stops, or whatever you call them, all over the place, seemingly randomly, without regard to the part of town it's in, the trespassing laws of that area or whether it happens to be in a field full of bulls trained for bull-riding like a couple miles from my house where there's a gym... ect.

Stupid people are going to do stupid things like drive while staring at their phones and then wrap themselves around telephone poles.  That's always happened in the past and it will always happen in the future.  The only way to protect from it is to rob people of literally every freedom they have and force them to walk around in glass bubbles.

Unfortunately, a lot of bad things are going to happen to a lot of kids over the coming year because this game has no overhead dedicated to ensuring that your kid doesn't wander into a notorious gang war zone because of some digital, imaginary animal.
  • malkovichmalkovich Member UncommonPosts: 18
    H0urg1ass said:
    My problem with this game is that it has a much better chance of putting children in the wrong place at the wrong time.  You can't fix stupid, but you can reduce the chances of the ignorant getting harmed and as a father of three children, they are ignorant about all the ways of the world while you're training them to be adults.  This app places different kinds of stops, or whatever you call them, all over the place, seemingly randomly, without regard to the part of town it's in, the trespassing laws of that area or whether it happens to be in a field full of bulls trained for bull-riding like a couple miles from my house where there's a gym... ect.

Stupid people are going to do stupid things like drive while staring at their phones and then wrap themselves around telephone poles.  That's always happened in the past and it will always happen in the future.  The only way to protect from it is to rob people of literally every freedom they have and force them to walk around in glass bubbles.

Unfortunately, a lot of bad things are going to happen to a lot of kids over the coming year because this game has no overhead dedicated to ensuring that your kid doesn't wander into a notorious gang war zone because of some digital, imaginary animal.
    "no overhead dedicated to ensuring that your kid doesn't..."

pssssst that's your job.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    malkovich said:
    H0urg1ass said:

pssssst that's your job.
    I really don't need you making personally directed statements about the appropriateness of my child rearing techniques.  My kids don't play this ridiculous game, but forgive me for thinking about the single mothers out there who are doing as much as they can, working several jobs, to hold their family together and then their kid sneaks out while she's at work to catch a digital animal during a gang initiation.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Pokeymans don't kill people. If anything, they are helping us reveal who has mental issues and who is sane.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kyleran said:
    Almost everything we do in life carries a risk of harming us, especially recreational activities.

How many people have died riding bicycles, racing cars, climbing mountains, skiing, base jumping, playing football, etc?

Even benign sports like golf have seen numerous people hurt or killed from everything from being hit in the head by a golf ball, rolling their golf cart, being hit by lighting or even killed by alligators.

This game is no different, it takes people outdoors, and in some cases people are either irresponsible or just unlucky and get hurt.

Stuff happens.....doesn't mean we should ban things because of it.

Heading out now for my regular road cycling exercise. I'll wear a helmet but will have a headset on.  If I die in the process I hope no one will call for a ban on bicycles, cell phones, headsets, music or automobiles. Just my own damn fault and I'll own it.  ;)
    Agreed, if you want to stop people from looking on their cellphone when walking, biking or driving then the problem is the cellphones in themselves. A lot of people are too stupid to know that they should stay away from their phone when driving, it have caused countless accidents but I havn't heard anyone wanting to forbid cellphones (even though some countries forces you to use a handsfree when talking on it and driving, Mythbusters proved that even with handsfree you drive worse then severely drunk).

If you give a cellphone to a kid you need to explain to him/her that you only toy with your phone when standing still. Adults should be smart enough to figure that out for themselves. If your kid don't get that maybe he/she shouldn't have a cellphone.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    H0urg1ass said:
    malkovich said:
    H0urg1ass said:

pssssst that's your job.
    I really don't need you making personally directed statements about the appropriateness of my child rearing techniques.  My kids don't play this ridiculous game, but forgive me for thinking about the single mothers out there who are doing as much as they can, working several jobs, to hold their family together and then their kid sneaks out while she's at work to catch a digital animal during a gang initiation.
    His point is that the "overhead dedicated to ensuring that a kid doesn't" do whatever is called "the parent".
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    Almost everything we do in life carries a risk of harming us, especially recreational activities.

How many people have died riding bicycles, racing cars, climbing mountains, skiing, base jumping, playing football, etc?

Even benign sports like golf have seen numerous people hurt or killed from everything from being hit in the head by a golf ball, rolling their golf cart, being hit by lighting or even killed by alligators.

This game is no different, it takes people outdoors, and in some cases people are either irresponsible or just unlucky and get hurt.

Heading out now for my regular road cycling exercise. I'll wear a helmet but will have a headset on.  If I die in the process I hope no one will call for a ban on bicycles, cell phones, headsets, music or automobiles. Just my own damn fault and I'll own it.  ;)
         I hear Kyleran , and want to agree , but i do/have done all those activities you listed , and the difference is you are much more aware and tuned into your surroundings... An even heightened sense of awareness

These folks in Pokemon Go are completly oblivious to there surroundings , This is where the danger lies , and a really stupid way to get hurt,/robbed/die
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Too bad more of these games didnt exist 15 years ago then the two (major party) presidential candidates we have now wouldnt be there because Darwinism would have eliminated the generation that got them there.

We need more of these not less, science found away to keep the weaker examples of humanity viable now technology is finding a way to get rid of them.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:

I hear Kyleran , and want to agree , but i do/have done all those activities you listed , and the difference is you are much more aware and tuned into your surroundings... An even heightened sense of awareness

These folks in Pokemon Go are completly oblivious to there surroundings , This is where the danger lies , and a really stupid way to get hurt,/robbed/die
    Natural selection, still relevant even in this modern age.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I play Pokeman Go. Why all the hate? So a few idiots have hurt themselves.

Are you mad the players are out out in the world rather than sitting on their bums staring at a computer screen 10 hours a day? The real issue is you're insecure for whatever reason.

We don't close the roads because there are idiot drivers that get themselves and others killed every single day. Yet, some of you are complaining about this game due to extremely isolated incidents.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    H0urg1ass said:
    malkovich said:
    H0urg1ass said:

pssssst that's your job.
    If that single mom had not purchased a smart phone for her kids, she would not have to work that second job... 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    There's always someone who wants to ban something.

Ban books, ban "talkies", ban erotica, ban religion, ban video games, ban phones.

How about we ban people who feel like they need to control others?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2016
    Talonsin said:

If that single mom had not purchased a smart phone for her kids, she would not have to work that second job...  
    Inheriting income status of your parents is as likely as inheriting their height.

If that single mom decides to do only one job, her children will live in very poor conditions and most likely become very poor adults.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    You'll have an easier time banning stupid.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Given the number of people who have / are playing it it is probablty one of the safer games out there. There have been reports of people dying playing WoW for example. And I am sure that some home invasion fatalities will have been playing games as well. If only they had been watching the TV instead. Yep got to call all that stuff!

Gven the health benefits of Pokemon Go however it could be argued that it may be improving the overall health of the game playing population - you know, those people who "slouch in front of a screen, getting no exercise, no daylight, no quote real unquote social interaction. Whoda thunk it.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I remember when they wanted to ban skateboards because idiots that didn't know what they were doing tried doing things they shouldn't, luckily rational thought won out.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Maurgrim said:

Well It has been several deaths, people crashes their cars, people walking out in the street and getting hit by cars, people getting beat up for being in the wrong place, getting threatened with guns and baseball bats for trespassing.

Sound just like the world was without Pokemon Go.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited August 2016
    Considering this is still a considerably larger problem, why don't we focus concerns where it's actually going to benefit society?

Taking away someone's game is not going to rid them of the bad habits that lead to the accidents incurred. Those types of accidents are quite prevalent even when Go is not in the picture.

It is only because the game has become a very visible component of mobile usage that it has highlighted the faults in the users behaviors and reasoning skills, which is equally applied to anything else they do with their phones (as per the example given with the prevalence of driving while texting and subsequent fatality rate).

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• RhygarthRhygarth Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Golelorn said:

Are you mad the players are out out in the world rather than sitting on their bums staring at a computer screen 10 hours a day? The real issue is you're insecure for whatever reason.

We don't close the roads because there are idiot drivers that get themselves and others killed every single day. Yet, some of you are complaining about this game due to extremely isolated incidents.
    transportation is sort of needed in our society thats why the roads stay open, pokemon go is not needed so much.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited August 2016
    Rhygarth said:
    Golelorn said:

transportation is sort of needed in our society thats why the roads stay open, pokemon go is not needed so much.
    Which is why texting and driving is a bad thing. Crashes close roads.

If drivers want to kill themselves they should at least be considerate of other road users.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You can't expect the people who made the game to be held accountable for people's stupidity.

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    it's a big .... *Mehhh*

Do you really want the ones getting injured in the breeding population anyway???

I am all for taking warning labels off of items and letting the stupid ones go extinct. :)

Have a nice day !
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I don't play this piece of crap.