Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    I don't know who Jaluvshuskies is, but they've gone above and beyond. If the company listens, the playerbase should shower Jal in gifts and thanks. There is enough good data there (polls from different places, over 2000 responses in a poll, links to news, streamers, etc) to let any dev know it's worth taking a look at. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Because nothing measures the true preferences of the mostly indifferent masses like an Internet poll.  Internet polls measure passion, not breadth of support.  Remember all of those Internet polls that gave huge majorities to Ron Paul?

I don't think there's any real doubt that most of the people with really strong opinions about making item mall goods tradeable are against it.  But that's no way to measure majority opinion.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Doesnt matter , they will stay the course , it was always the plan ...
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited August 2016
    What do you think the total player base for BDO is?
    If you are ever planning on presenting to Pearl Abyss how strongly and passionately EU & NA are against this idea
    Unless the total player base of EU and NA comes to 4000/5000 players, the majority don't actually care about the changes.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    The only poll that counts is the one where the money is counted. People vote with their money.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This would have all been over with if people would just have turned the game off and walked away as soon as the news hit. That's the only metric that matters. Anybody protesting in-game is a walking contradiction.

"F#%K CHEESEBURGERS MAN! AMIRITE? WHO IS WITH ME!!!!"
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I applaud the effort, but how could they not have known this was coming. Everyone knew what this game was p2w before it even launched.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Scorchien said:
    Doesnt matter , they will stay the course , it was always the plan ...
    Stay the Course seems to always be the result. Some games have ridden the course into the dirt and didn't turn the wheel.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited August 2016
    immodium said:
    If you are ever planning on presenting to Pearl Abyss how strongly and passionately EU & NA are against this idea
    Unless the total player base of EU and NA comes to 4000/5000 players, the majority don't actually care about the changes.

What?  What evidence do you have to know what the majority thinks?

The only evidence we have is what is shown in the OP, representing that a LOT of current customers do not like the proposed change.  

Nobody knows what the actual majority thinks, but indications are most do not approve of the change.  Anti-p2w remarks have far outnumbered pro-p2w remarks.

Yeah, it's the internet, it's just forums yada yada yada but it's all we have to go on.  Although many of the top guilds turning their guild icon into the one shown in my avatar is indicative that it's just not "forum hsyteria".

In any case, I just don't see how you look at all that in the OP and say, "Well, the majority doesn't care."

So basically I'm just assuming because I know that you're pro-p2w that you're just pulling that notion straight out of your butt.

Anywho, Kakao asked for feedback during the announcement and feedback they got.  Tomorrow will tell if/how they act upon that feedback.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    This would have all been over with if people would just have turned the game off and walked away as soon as the news hit. That's the only metric that matters. Anybody protesting in-game is a walking contradiction.

"F#%K CHEESEBURGERS MAN! AMIRITE? WHO IS WITH ME!!!!"
    I...really, really...want to bite that cheeseburger!

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Fish_TacosFish_Tacos Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited August 2016

Anywho, Kakao asked for feedback during the announcement and feedback they got.  Tomorrow will tell if/how they act upon that feedback.
    But the part I don't understand is why you would continue to do business with them after this? Why would you trust them or give them another dime? If you enjoy the game that much, then good luck to you, but I wouldn't have anything to do with them again, personally.

EDIT: I've not played BDO, so I'm just an outside observer. 

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645

But the part I don't understand is why you would continue to do business with them after this? Why would you trust them or give them another dime? If you enjoy the game that much, then good luck to you, but I wouldn't have anything to do with them again, personally.

EDIT: I've not played BDO, so I'm just an outside observer. 
    MMO players are a group of people who talk about how horrible and faceroll easy WoW has become and how over it they are then rush out and pay full price for the next expansion so they can blast through it in less than a month.

MMO players bemoan the lack of depth in new titles and how on rails everything is then rush out and buy founders packs for games they already know they probably won't like because there isn't anything else out worth playing now.

MMO players will almost certainly continue to pay for this game so they can picket in game or do whatever they think is going to make a change.

MMO developers and producers will continue to do what they do. It is easier to count money than it is to scour the internet for opinions and make wholesale changes to your game or business and development plans.

One side wins. One side whines. Nothing changes. Such are the times we live in.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I think that most MMO players dislike P2win, but that the people who like it spend such a large sum that publishers don't care if the majority get upset...

I also believe that it is a mistake because the few whales I know changes games oftenwhile regular gamers might spend less but stay a long period. If you want quick cash and don't care about longevity then fine but that is why so many F2P MMOs earns loads of money the first year only to dwindle income wise fast.

It is just my theory though and can be wishful thinking, but we seen a lot P2win games shine bright a couple of months only to turn into obscurity after that.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Loke666 said:
    I think that most MMO players dislike P2win, but that the people who like it spend such a large sum that publishers don't care if the majority get upset...

I also believe that it is a mistake because the few whales I know changes games oftenwhile regular gamers might spend less but stay a long period. If you want quick cash and don't care about longevity then fine but that is why so many F2P MMOs earns loads of money the first year only to dwindle income wise fast.

It is just my theory though and can be wishful thinking, but we seen a lot P2win games shine bright a couple of months only to turn into obscurity after that.
    I think the thing with P2win is that once you have paid for your win you can only strut around proclaiming your win for a short time before it becomes silly even to you.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited August 2016

Developers don't care about any of this.  And if they did, they were directed to the marketing department and told "don't worry about it". 

People play everything !

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2016

Developers don't care about any of this.  And if they did, they were directed to the marketing department and told "don't worry about it". 

People play everything !

I hope so. I do not want to see another studio being damaged by enraged mob...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    As I said in another thread, I've rarely seen a shitstorm of that magnitude. Maybe 1 or 2 other times in my whole MMORPG career which started 20+ years ago, and not even sure it was that bad.

And for @Fish_Tacos : they definitely won't get a single cent more from me ever, neither for this game nor for any other game they may publish.
    There hasn't really been a change of this magnitude in a game for several years, its only really happened once before in a game i really cared about, and at the moment it feels like being at ground zero deja vu.
    There is only really 2 possibilities, players either take it on the chin, and carry on, or they do what they did the last time, which was move on to other games.
    The last time this happened it was in a much smaller game, only a couple of hundred thousand players, BDO has, if numbers are to be believed, over a million players.
    The next few weeks will either prove that P2W is acceptable, or that it isn't.
    As much as i would wish to believe that the poll gained through out of game methods is indicative, the truth is, until we see something actually happening in game, we cannot know for sure either way, the trouble is, that at that point, it becomes too late to do anything about it. :(
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

The only evidence we have is what is shown in the OP, representing that a LOT of current customers do not like the proposed change.  

And based on same evidence, unless the total player base of BDO = 5000 players a LOT more don't care for the changes.

It's a vocal majority of a small minority.

Phry said:
    There hasn't really been a change of this magnitude in a game for several years, its only really happened once before in a game i really cared about, and at the moment it feels like being at ground zero deja vu.
    Yep, CCP bent to mob and never recovered from that mistake.

Just like so many small studios that "listen to their community"...
  • LleithLleith Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I can't even visit their forums anymore. Apparently something I said on even my alt account got someone upset.
    Lleith said:
    I can't even visit their forums anymore. Apparently something I said on even my alt account got someone upset.
    Who would have thought so...
  • EraedalEraedal Member UncommonPosts: 18

that's exactly what i did. walk away...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Eraedal said:

that's exactly what i did. walk away...
    Those who walk away are doing the only sort of protesting that might convince the suits to change their mind.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    immodium said:

What?  What evidence do you have to know what the majority thinks?

Nobody knows what the actual majority thinks, but indications are most do not approve of the change.  Anti-p2w remarks have far outnumbered pro-p2w remarks.

Yeah, it's the internet, it's just forums yada yada yada but it's all we have to go on.  Although many of the top guilds turning their guild icon into the one shown in my avatar is indicative that it's just not "forum hsyteria".

In any case, I just don't see how you look at all that in the OP and say, "Well, the majority doesn't care."

So basically I'm just assuming because I know that you're pro-p2w that you're just pulling that notion straight out of your butt.

Tbh, only the devs know. I still remember all the campaigns and outrage over Mass Effect 3's ending, and Jessica Merizan claiming that the majority of ME3 players were fine with it, even though thousands were angry about it. After all the polls showed it. People were making countless Youtube videos about it... website articles. You name it. The whole shebang.

I figured she must be lying. PR bullshit and everything, since she never gave any numbers... until you come to hear that out of all the people that bought the game, only a good 30% actually GOT to that ending. That's 70% right there that doesn't give a fuck about it. And if half of that 30% that actually did finish it, liked it or didn't care, that's another 15% right there, making it a grand total of 85% at least that didn't care or actually approved of the ending.

If you think the vast majority of BDO's playerbase actually cares enough to go take part on some internet poll, or to post on the forums... well... this is the internet, I'm not going to change your mind, we both know that much. Keep on thinking it, but brace for disappointment. Not to mention in this case, I'm fairly sure this update is being pushed by PA, who won't even bother to look at all the internet rage. The only thing they'll get are reports from Daum.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Perhaps the reason why we don't know what a majority of the players think about this change is that a majority of the players don't think about this change.  Forums, internet polls, and so forth mostly attract people who think about games far more than most.