Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we have a facepalm button please?

jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
Yes a "facepalm" button to click when we don't agree with someone's view. "lol" should not be used for that purpose, well at least not to me, i only click "lol" on comments that are hilarious and i feel like that is how it should be. if you guys have noticed, most of the time i post with an attempt to comedy, i go for the character of that one guy in the group who is always making some lame jokes but others laugh anyway just to be nice!! So yes it is very important to me when someone clicks "lol" on my lame jokes!! So please add a "facepalm" button for disagreement.

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    :D
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    A simple disagree button would be better.

For instance I disagree with Nyctelios, but I didn't find it amusing so I didn't lol it. Laughter and amusement is not harassment. It only seems so if you take yourself and what you write far too seriously.
    Nyctelios said:

For instance I disagree with Nyctelios, but I didn't find it amusing so I didn't lol it. Laughter and amusement is not harassment. It only seems so if you take yourself and what you write far too seriously.
    Turn this into fanboys subreddit where anyone who disagrees is downvoted to oblivion to maintain the status quo?

No, thanks.
    Where did I say anything about down voting? This site has an agree button but it doesn't upvote posts does it?
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    edited August 2016
    Nyctelios said:
    So you would suggest to change a tool which people like you uses to harass anyone that disagrees with you that was not meant to be used for that for a better tool so you can harass people who disagree with you better.

Hmmm... Nice concept. No surprises who would support this idea.
    Did you even read my post? My post was to ensure people don't abuse "lol" button and instead be given another one to impactfully show that they had a "facepalm" reading someone's post. I know for sure that i would have thousands of "facepalm" and i am prepared for it, it is called being grown up.

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

edited August 2016
    Won't happen. But please, keep the LOLs coming. I enjoy my rating increasing even from people who can't be arsed to post an argument to counter me.
    Not sure what to reply here...it is like i hit the mark by a billion light year...

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:

Turn this into fanboys subreddit where anyone who disagrees is downvoted to oblivion to maintain the status quo?

No, thanks.
    Where did I say anything about down voting? This site has an agree button but it doesn't upvote posts does it?
    People who have a certain opinion more than often does so without the need of validation. The same can't be said to harassment and trolling.

As you can see at this very same site, more than often people team up, the very same 2 to 3 weirdos, to make sure every single comment a person did in many threads as possible will be LOL'ed to ensure their point since they can't do that with words.

But if it can't be avoided I would suggest changing the button to...
    Now that post is worth a double face palm but not a LOL.

You seem to be very angry, even outraged. But I really can't follow your argument.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Yeah I'm pretty sure this won't happen. Their are only "positive reinforcement" buttons for a reason.

I think most that do want to instill some "negative reinforcement" use the "LOL" button. For me it stands for Ludicrous Online Lies and I use it as such. If I am not posting something funny and I get one I see it as a neg.

Incoming LOL from Gdemami!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    While I get the desire to have a face palm button, it would be the most used and abused button on this site.  With the endless bickering and egotistical takes on his site, a face palm button would become the site norm.
    edited August 2016
    While I get the desire to have a face palm button, it would be the most used and abused button on this site.  With the endless bickering and egotistical takes on his site, a face palm button would become the site norm.
    Agree button can(is?) be abused same way - you agree with someone and encourage ranting, trolling w/e.

Back-patting or degradation just create a level of polarity that is no good for anything.

What would be needed is more well reasoned posts and buttons won't help with that.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Oh sure, MMORPG.COM is going to give you a flame button.
    I did not ask for a flame button..

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

It already got a flame button, in fact 4 of them.

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    A Facepalm is as good as a Flame. Both are negative. Both would be abused. Both would cause butthurt.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Gdemami said:
    It already got a flame button, in fact 4 of them.
    You are a strange one, sir.

I like it! ;)

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    So why didn't you ask for the relatively neutral 'disagree'  rather than the full on 'facepalm'? and why the hash tag??
    edited August 2016
    bartoni33 said:

I like it! ;)
    How so?

If you tag constructive post with Agree, you encourage constructive posting.
    If you tag flame post with Agree, you encourage flaming.

The label on buttons itself does not matter, posts do.

Buttons are just flame fuel. Site needs traffic...

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    So why didn't you ask for the relatively neutral 'disagree'  rather than the full on 'facepalm'? and why the hash tag??
    I think i answered this :
    Nyctelios said:
    So you would suggest to change a tool which people like you uses to harass anyone that disagrees with you that was not meant to be used for that for a better tool so you can harass people who disagree with you better.

Did you even read my post? My post was to ensure people don't abuse "lol" button and instead be given another one to impactfully show that they had a "facepalm" reading someone's post. I know for sure that i would have thousands of "facepalm" and i am prepared for it, it is called being grown up.

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

And #LOLBUTTONMATTERS

Gdemami said:
    bartoni33 said:

I like it! ;)
    How so?

If you tag constructive post with Agree, you encourage constructive posting.
    If you tag flame post with Agree, you encourage flaming.

The label on buttons itself does not matter, posts do.

Buttons are just flame fuel. Site needs traffic...
    Semantics I guess?

All of the current buttons are meant to be positive reinforcement. I'm pretty sure this site does not want a Reddit/4Chan/whatever-cesspool type of forum.

Agreeing with a "flame" post is subjective. If you find it trolling you would not Agree with it, right? Just as because you find it trolling does not mean it is. Although their are certain sub-forums here that do have a lot of circle-jerk troll posting going on, it is obvious what is what there.

TL;DR: What you find flaming/negative is not what most would. That is why you are strange.

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    Nyctelios said:

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

And #LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    Nope you didn't answer it then and haven't now. Nor have you answered why the hashtag?

I also think this whole 'abuse of the lol button' is a real furphy with no evidence backing it up at all.
    I was considering this myself...well, not a "facepalm" button, but a "disagree" button (which would mean "respectfully disagree") :). I do not think it is right that people are often using "LOL" button to express disagreement in a rather rude manner.

LOL should be used when laughing with someone not at someone, in my opinion.
    I agree with Disagree over Facepalm.

But when you give us 3 options that are basically the same without an option that is in the opposite you have forced us to make do with what you have been given. Don't tell us "hey you can give opinions on posts now, but only if they are positive". This is the Internet, not day care.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I would agree but that button should not award any points otherwise you know who might become Legendary soon.

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    Nyctelios said:

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

And #LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    Nope you didn't answer it then and haven't now. Nor have you answered why the hashtag?

I also think this whole 'abuse of the lol button' is a real furphy with no evidence backing it up at all.
    Hashtagging is what all the cool kids (read:hipsters/social media douchebags) are doing now.

Hell I have one too

#isanumbersignfools

kitarad said:
    I would agree but that button should not award any points otherwise you know who might become Legendary soon.
    250 dislikes would give you the "Forum Troll" title, your color would be Red.

500 dislikes would give you the "Despised" title, your color would be Crimson.

edited August 2016
    bartoni33 said:
    All of the current buttons are meant to be positive reinforcement.
    There is no such thing as "positive reinforcement button". I thought I was fairly explicit on that one...

You reinforce certain attitude, than can be either "positive" or "negative", via same button.

It swings both ways, depending on your bias.

You are just pretending you represent some universal point of view - "we all know who is right and who is wrong", you don't.
    Post edited by Gdemami on

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS
    Nyctelios said:

#LOLBUTTONMATTERS

And #LOLBUTTONMATTERS

I am sorry my answer is not something you are looking for thus if it were an option you could have clicked facepalm to show your disappointment. Hope now you understand.

And again : #LOLBUTTONMATTERS

This discussion has been closed.