Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous Videos Thread

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited August 2016
    Final part of Braben interview, disscussing the game, its fans and the future

Why does he always have his hands in the air?
  • Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    edited August 2016
    Peer to peer and text based adventures = fail. I wish I could get my money back, but I kept waiting for decent updates. 

A lot of people were really disappointed with ED's content at Gamescon. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/282184-Gamescom-Day-4-was-a-waste-of-time
    Post edited by Saxx0n on
    Linking your own post on frontier's forum is really desparate. Day 4 stream was a bit lame being a recap but what can you do, it doesn't change all the stuff that was announced on day 1, 2 or 3, does it.

2.2.png 887.6K
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I think something really hindering this game is he wants too much realism.  Realism isnt always fun that is why we play video games.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    I think something really hindering this game is he wants too much realism.  Realism isnt always fun that is why we play video games.
    I'd rather it be somewhat niche and keep with the realism direction. It isn't always exciting, that is true. Actually, it is often quite boring (traveling being the biggest offender in my opinion).

Strangely, I find the game more interesting because of it. It sounds like an oxymoron. The way I personally play this game is with either some music or a podcast playing in the background (usually at night with the lights off). To me, it gives it an even more realistic vibe. Progressing and exploring and basically building up to bigger and better things has been fun for me (for quite a while now). It reminds me more of the privateer games mixed with the original elite dangerous than say a Wing Commander Game.

As this game expands and its features expand more and more, I like it more and more. And for me personally, it fits my style of space game (although I do wish the features were more robust at this point).
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    filmoret said:
    I dont think he gives a shit.
    Meaning I dont think he is in this for the money, my impression is its something he wanted to do and if the masses dont understand well that is understandable...have you seen the masses?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    He is precisely a person who is aware of that, he even talks about it specifically in the video.

Q: Why bother with scientific accuracy?
    A: It doesn't hurt, why not? ... I think it gives lots of new vectors for game play.

He isn't going after "realism" just for the sake of it,ie. new stars aren't just visuals but you can use their gravity for longer jumps.

For the same reasons there is heat mechanics, etc..

That is how "proper" sci-fi is made - it is built upon science, in it's core. Not just theme.
    Gdemami said:
    filmoret said:
    He is precisely a person who is aware of that, he even talks about it specifically in the video.

Q: Why bother with scientific accuracy?
    A: It doesn't hurt, why not? ... I think it gives lots of new vectors for game play.

He isn't going after "realism" just for the sake of it,ie. new stars aren't just visuals but you can use their gravity for longer jumps.

For the same reasons there is heat mechanics, etc..

That is how "proper" sci-fi is made - it is built upon science, in it's core. Not just theme.
    Yea but you need to make it fun.  Which is why aliens and the sort enhance such experiences.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    Yea but you need to make it fun. Which is why aliens and the sort enhance such experiences.
    Aliens = fun...sound logic. Oh dear....
    edited August 2016
    Aliens are statistically scientifically accurate so no need to get over excited about trolling on there being aliens in the game

Video showing ship sizes in Elite, in a bit more of a relatable way.

edited September 2016
    A couple of cool screenshots of the Imperial Eagle and Clipper

Wait..... You can get out of the ship in Elite and do fps combat?  Can you get out of the ship in open space and the sort as well?
    filmoret said:
    Wait..... You can get out of the ship in Elite and do fps combat?  Can you get out of the ship in open space and the sort as well?
    Has Star Citizen ever done any feature into production retail before Frontier has? oh yeah...never

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    filmoret said:
    No. And no.

Have fun

SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:
    Has Star Citizen ever done any feature into production retail before Frontier has? oh yeah...never
    Please send me the video of you popping your hatch in E:D and go for an EVA on foot with your avatar. 

I want to learn something new in E:D - only been playing it since Beta. Must have totally missed THAT feature in E:D

Have fun
    Erillion said:

SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:
    Please send me the video of you popping your hatch in E:D and go for an EVA on foot with your avatar. 

I want to learn something new in E:D - only been playing it since Beta. Must have totally missed THAT feature in E:D

Have fun
    let me say this again because I think the most important part of what I said has been missed

has Star Citizen ever done any features into production retail before Frontier has?

I put in bold the important parts

edited September 2016
    The video is 7 posts up.  Just trying to figure out what it is.
    filmoret said:
    The video is 7 posts up.  Just trying to figure out what it is.
    E:D ship models loaded into Unreal Engine 4 for size comparison (see more detailed description in the YouTube version of the video).

That is NOT E:D in game footage.

Have fun
    Yep, someone imported assets to Unreal to give a sense of scale to the ships, which can be difficult to appreciate in Elite, although the SRV makes this somewhat easier.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    kitarad said:
    This looks really good and the game is out right. They don't sell pictures of ships and raise money that way I hope. I mean why aren't more people that like this type of game supporting this instead of that money grabbing SC.
    Yeah it's weird.  Everyone is waiting on an online space sim when this one is already out.

I haven't tried it because I've heard bad things, but some of this stuff looks pretty interesting.
    kitarad said:
    This looks really good and the game is out right. They don't sell pictures of ships and raise money that way I hope. I mean why aren't more people that like this type of game supporting this instead of that money grabbing SC.
    Yeah it's weird.  Everyone is waiting on an online space sim when this one is already out.

I haven't tried it because I've heard bad things, but some of this stuff looks pretty interesting.
    You do know that a great many Star Citizen fans also play (and like) Elite Dangerous,do you not? AND No Mans Sky. AND other space games...

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    kitarad said:

You do know that a great many Star Citizen fans also play (and like) Elite Dangerous,do you not? AND No Mans Sky. AND other space games...

Have fun
    honestly, I think space sims are about to have run its course already.

if I was a developer starting a game now I would look into being first(ish) in a new genre. I would be giving The Old West genre a serious looksy

SEANMCAD said:
    honestly, I think space sims are about to have run its course already.

if I was a developer starting a game now I would look into being first(ish) in a new genre. I would be giving The Old West genre a serious looksy
    Do both.

Rebel Galaxy is sci-fi Ole West Firefly-ish fun ;-)

Have fun
    edited September 2016
    CMDR Crusina put together a video of his circumnavigation of the Milky Way.

Full details https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/51f37y/so_i_did_a_rough_circumnavigation_of_the_galaxy/