Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Ad-Free Monthly Subscription Option?

1235»

Comments

• somersaultsamsomersaultsam Member Posts: 230 Uncommon
    edited December 2016
    Yes
    MikeB said:
    Hey everyone,

We just wanted to take a quick poll to get your thoughts on the idea of us offering a $2.99/month ad-free experience option here at MMORPG.com.

Is this something you would be interested in us offering as a way to support the site?

Please vote and share your thoughts with us below!
    Honestly no. A few months ago I would happily pay for you, but you feel a little too corporate these days... Yes... I see my vote above it was made a few months ago. 
  • UmbroodUmbrood gbgMember Posts: 1,809 Uncommon
    Yes
    As a person who generally despise advertising in all its forms this is one of the few places were all ads are relevant to my interests in some fashion I really do not mind them as much.

I still voted yes though, it would be an option for people who wanted it, have no impact on those who do not care, and might bring in more high quality content to the site, I do not see a downside here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• BlecodBlecod KaunasMember Posts: 41 Uncommon
    No
    Okay I should have voted yes. While I personaly would never buy something like this, I still thinks its  great idea.
  • IceAgeIceAge SomeWhere In .. RomaniaMember Posts: 1,472 Rare
    MikeB said:
    Hey everyone,

We just wanted to take a quick poll to get your thoughts on the idea of us offering a $2.99/month ad-free experience option here at MMORPG.com.

Is this something you would be interested in us offering as a way to support the site?

Please vote and share your thoughts with us below!
    Don't want to tell you how to do your job ( or whoever is in charge ) , but actually I am gonna tell you that your monetization sucks big time.

I mean who in the right mind is monetizing his MOBILE website ( with GAMES related news ) with ....... google ads!?

Plus , you are asking if people agree with a 2.99$ ad free sub. This is also a very bad marketing. You are losing potential revenue. Sure, you might get some stable revenue , but will never actually rise. 

Anyway , my option will be to register to some exclusive websites which monetize mobile traffic very good. One of the best is : http://www.cheetahmedialink.com/ . They have the best CPI payment. Empire Kingdom for exemple , at some point payed between 1.5$ to 5.17$ for HQ countries traffic. And that only for a user to click the banner, download the game from the app store, and open it. That's it ! Easy money.

Also , they have a very good random games system from the ones you want. So you pick say 7 games which you believe will do well. They will rotate with each new visit from the visitor ( or you can write a easy php banner rotator , or just google for it ) . 

With your alexa traffic of 5k ( shit, just check it and it droped to 16k ) , you could easily generate few hundreds or even several hundreds $ daily. 

Monetizing is everything. So .. good luck !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member Posts: 1,526 Uncommon
    No
    I am not subscribing to any website.  If the non-subscriber gets too annoying I just won't come here anymore.  The only problem with polls like this is, just because someone says they will subscribe does not mean it is true.  People will always be more likely to spent hypothetical money than ream money.

You  should move forward with the best business plan for the long term health of the site and forgo the results of this poll.  If you are in the black and don't see the red coming why risk the change.  If you are in the red and need to find away out, do what you have to do. 

I would highly advise against a change if the site is in the black.  More bad then good can come from it.  If it is struggling, you might want to advertise that before you make the change so that people will understand and not just get pissed. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAMember Posts: 2,453 Uncommon
    edited January 11
    Yes
    Maybe if it also had available beta keys and giveaways priority to those paying the subscription. :) Either way not a bad idea to have a subscription to support the site.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Austin, TXMember Posts: 1,959 Epic
    edited January 21
    Yes
    An option is a choice.  Why would anyone want less choices for their community experience?

The only issue I would bring up is that if the free, advertisement version, started ramping up the adverts to a higher level, then I don't support this change.  I don't visit some sites with quality content simply because of how they present their ads and exploit my clicks.  

For instance, if there's a top ten and I have to click next for every single entry on a top ten list, just so their site gets ten+ clicks for ad revenue, then I never visit that site again... I don't care what they have to offer, it's not worth my exploitation for the information.
  • AmatheAmathe Miami, FLMember Posts: 2,720 Rare
    No
    I have no objection to you doing it. But I would not be interested. I like your ads. Your ads are things like hot chicks with big boobies in bikinis with swords. Why would I pay money to make hot chicks disappear? 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 chicago, ILMember Posts: 64 Uncommon
    edited January 30
    adblock is free though....

maybe a paid option for diehards here and give them some form of noteriety when posting or something...im sure this site still gets dumped a bunch of keys and give aways...just give em to the paid members or something...

or maybe...you know...clean the site up a bit...and people might wander here for info.

ive been harping for years to clean your game list up, so i can easily find new mmorpgs, rather than the giant dumpster of ancient and dead mmorpgs, non mmorpgs, and buried in there actual new mmorpgs with little hype...which is why i use to use this site waaay back in the day....and maybe then more people would frequent here.

that whole ban everyone phase back in 2008-2010 was pretty much the nails in the coffin over here though...that was a bad idea that drove a lot of people away who used the game subforums often.

As it stands i find steam a better place to discuss most games...though id kill for a website that kept track of active and new mmorpgs that would otherwise fly in under the radar...not saying ditch the dead games and non mmorpgs...just maybe make another tab for them.

But honestly it take like 1hr to click through your game list and see all the dead games or games with no forum option...or games that have no website anymore ect...

neglect is hurting this sites functionality, and those past ban waves drove away a lot of the community that made hanging out here worth it...
  • fivorothfivoroth LondonMember Posts: 3,916 Uncommon
    edited February 5
    Yes
    I don't see how it could hurt. As long as  people have both options it's fine. If you made it so that the website requires a sub and removed the option to view/post without a sub, then that would outrage some people.

If you just added another option, then people who don't like it can continue as it is now - free with ads.

i hate intrusive ads but I would never use something like ad blocker. I don't understand the people who use ad blocker. If everyone used it and no one wanted to advertise anymore, how would websites make money. Advertising is great as it keeps a lot of things "free".

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fivorothfivoroth LondonMember Posts: 3,916 Uncommon
    Yes
    LynxJSA said:
    Asheram said:
    Will there also be a cash shop? And seeing that theres a subscription option will the said cash shop only sell cosmetic items or will there be p2w items as well?
    If you're trying to win at forum posting, you're losing elsewhere. 
    You lost at detecting sarcasm. It was obviously a light hearted joke  :p

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BeefFandangoBeefFandango Member Posts: 31 Uncommon
    No
    Clearly absurd idea, your content is not worth a subscription (no offence). The question fundamentally is this... AM I prepared to pay for mmorpg.com to continue... the answer is, no, sorry, but it has become clique and self-absorbed of late. Sorry, no. 
  • BeefFandangoBeefFandango Member Posts: 31 Uncommon
    No
    filmoret said:
    Aori said:
    filmoret said:
    Yes but only if you promise not to get annoying ads that make people want to subscribe.
    To late?
    I can't tell if you are serious or just being silly.  I'm gonna vote for silly because if you are serious then well I'm sorry you look at life this way.
    wrong! If the option is subscribe or be bombarded with ads as a F2P then the whole idea will fail. Basic comprehension, mate. 
  • KabaalKabaal Member Posts: 3,042 Uncommon
    edited February 12
    No
    If this was implemented i would be very surprised if they didn't block access to the site/parts of the site for adblock users the same way a lot of other sites are now doing. That would leave you the option to either subscribe or turn off adblock. There are of course ways around that but the majority of users wouldn't be aware.

10 years ago when sites like this were more relevant i might have considered it as back then the content was much better, new MMO's were releasing all the time, betas for new games that weren't just fluff garbage were a regular thing. That time has long since past.
  • TaiphozTaiphoz IrvineMember Posts: 339 Uncommon
    edited March 20
    No
    Your site and community is going the way of VHS, CD's and soon BlueRay, you were once the bastion of MMO news , a place where mmo's ONLY were discussed, a place where you could get close and open beta key giveaways to upcoming games, a place where you could get and find fellow gamers to mmo with.

That's mostly in the past now, Gone are the regular mmo keys, Gone is the sense of community beyond the forums, gone is the focus on MMO's, these days its just about what random new game with multiplayer is has caught peoples eye, games a lot of your older users are not interested in because you know, THEY ARE NOT FKN MMO's.

Dont even get me started on the 10 year old site theme, web designed has advanced a lot in the past ten years you might want to look around and see what your rivals are offering.

And your actually considering offering a subscription method ? Are you actually joking ?

• ArChWindArChWind Some Place, WIMember Posts: 1,259 Uncommon
    Yes
    Would be very welcome from me. I may actually start visiting more.
  • Ellie9021GabrielEllie9021Gabriel Member Posts: 3 Common
    @emily26 hi
  • dswag22dswag22 Member Posts: 19 Common
    Can anyone get me an account for trying it out!
1235»