Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Original Ultima Online Commercial

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    So many great memories and still IMO the best MMORPG made to date
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Greatest MMORPG ever made in my opinion. I would still be playing it if it had the old community. There will never be anything like it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    So much potential for the genre back then.

Shame where it ended up.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    "Bring several thousands of your friends."  Who has thousands of friends?  Great video by the way.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LukoooneLukooone Member UncommonPosts: 153
    If 15 years ago this genre just follow UO path instead of Everquest path of Themeparks...

But, but, but he attacked me when I was low life! 

Yes, HE DID, why you cant do the same to him? 

Uf that will take me a lot of time... 

HERE IS YOUR QUEST!

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    We would still have ended up where we are now because humans by nature are lazy regardless the path taken 15 years ago.  Don't underestimate our species to ruin anything it touches =P
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Lukooone said:
    If 15 years ago this genre just follow UO path instead of Everquest path of Themeparks...
    SWG kind of had the chance to usher in a new age for that style of game.  
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    I don't think I have evere seen that commercial before. Thanks/

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:

Shame where it ended up.

I keep thinking about that.  Recall back then how you imagined how mmoRPGs would be today and how far off that vision is...  If you think about it, it really is inevitable that games are like they are.  You get professionals making a  streamlined experience because spending resources outside of the  streamline is a waste. Minimal gaming. So we have people who jump from one f2p play game to another.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

Shame where it ended up.

I keep thinking about that.  Recall back then how you imagined how mmoRPGs would be today and how far off that vision is...  If you think about it, it really is inevitable that games are like they are.  You get professionals making a  streamlined experience because spending resources outside of the  streamline is a waste. Minimal gaming. So we have people who jump from one f2p play game to another.
    UO was a social experiment.  it did define the genre in so many ways with how players interact and what baseline retards we are without restrictions.  
  • ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    "Play whatever role you want. A wizard, a warrior"

A chair-maker in a sweat shop. :D
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I knew you were stealing all your posts from Reddit! This one just confirms it finally. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well your taste for music exceeds that of games lol.
    I have always liked Judas Priest,one first songs i learned on guitar was Breaking the Law.
    I do remember playing and owning all the Ultima games,they were among my fave back in the day.

Problem is that to bring games more to life,better animations,objects,sounds,graphics we need a lot more money and employees.So what happens is devs just cut corners,sop we get small improvements "usually graphics" but then gameplay suffers or vice versa,i don't see us getting a complete experience from any developer.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,781
    Remember the early groups and efforts?
    The Mage Tower(s), those players who studied Wisps and wanted to decipher the language, The Healers (whatever they were called), The various Followers of Mondain guilds, the Orc clans, the Tamers, the Rares collectors and auction houses, the Fishing Council, and on and on.
    UO was the most interactive game, both player to player and player to world, that's ever been IMO.
    It was flat out fun, with so much diversity you couldn't make time for it all.

Once upon a time....

waynejr2 said:
    Kyleran said:

Shame where it ended up.

UO was a social experiment.  it did define the genre in so many ways with how players interact and what baseline retards we are without restrictions.  

Because muds were always nice and friendly?  J/K.

I think the old bit about players exploiting what the devs allow them to do will always apply.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

The Mage Tower(s), those players who studied Wisps and wanted to decipher the language, The Healers (whatever they were called), The various Followers of Mondain guilds, the Orc clans, the Tamers, the Rares collectors and auction houses, the Fishing Council, and on and on.
    UO was the most interactive game, both player to player and player to world, that's ever been IMO.

On thing I remember from early UO was the issue that had to get fixed:  Items in housing/storage would cause lag due to that information being inappropriately sent to anyone nearby even if they were not in the house.

I am also remembering, perhaps incorrectly (getting hard to remember stuff), that people would build things to block people from doing things...

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,781
    waynejr2 said:

On thing I remember from early UO was the issue that had to get fixed:  Items in housing/storage would cause lag due to that information being inappropriately sent to anyone nearby even if they were not in the house.

I am also remembering, perhaps incorrectly (getting hard to remember stuff), that people would build things to block people from doing things...
    That's true. For housing they went to a system where the contents loaded when you entered, not just when you came into the area.
    They also restricted houses from being built that close to other houses or mountains/water, etc. so that there was always a path.

UO no doubt had lots of issues, but even so it was still the best game ever. Most issues were solved over time, maybe not optimally due to the game design being set (imagine building a new UO knowing what is known now).

Once upon a time....

• ShroomiShroomi Member CommonPosts: 3
    At that time... it was so great!!!!